Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Over 40 - OK now I'm panicking!

Poster: A snowHead
Lizzard wrote:
Masque, why, do people suddenly become unfit bloaters the minute they turn 60? How does that work? Laughing

They don't . . . but it's pretty much the time when after a big stack you lay there for a minute or two wondering if this time you wet yerself. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
bambionskiis, don't spend time indoors with the 8 year old - put him in all day ski school and relax in the knowledge that he's out causing trouble with his new friends and making an expert's life a missery.

fixed . . . Toofy Grin

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 1-01-13 14:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cynic, Didn't take either of those for the divorce!
Masque, Rule 5? ( http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2141974&highlight=rules#2141974 for anyone wondering)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davkt, I AM rule 5 . . . skied for a week on a fully ruptured Achilles. Took another three before the swelling went down far enough to do the op. "Rule 5 You can't handle rule 5" Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, Good stuff! Couldn't really imagine you lying around if it wasn't life threatening
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davkt, That's a true story and not that long ago . . . I do take a moment or two these days to ponder on the stupidity of doing summat . . . but then there's my 'sig'
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bambionskiis, If it's any help I am yet another mum with two kids who didn't start skiing properly until I was 40! I too had tried about 20 years prior to that and got no-where. At 40 I was and still am unfit Embarassed With the help of SH's I managed to finally get the hang of what to do and started to have fun with it. I wouldn't be trying to get out of it, I'd be trying to embrace the opportunity, as you have seen there are plenty of us here that have a similar background to yours.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I started at 46 at the same time as my daughter who was 7 at the time. I was very fit then and I think it helped a lot as I think it's when you're a beginner with poor technique that you get tired more easily. We both had lessons at Snowdomes before we went which gave us a bit of a start too.

9 years and 27 weeks skiing (for me anyway a few less for her) I'm not too bad for someone who started too late, at 16 my daughter has recently passed her first instructor qualification.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

it's when you're a beginner with poor technique that you get tired more easily

and middle aged women who don't do any sport (and who therefore have very weak leg muscles) are the ones most likely to get knee injuries - there was a thread on it last year, IIRC, after a study came up with some fairly startling statistics. Men are more likely to be still playing a bit of football, or cycling, or something, and also generally have stronger leg (and other) muscles. Don't know why I'm sitting here typing this; should be doing some squats and lunges. wink wink wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, Don't forget the pelvic floor, all part of your core strength. (shut-up you lot, Evil or Very Mad I'm not being smutty . . . this time)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Don't forget the pelvic floor

What would we do without you, Masque? Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Don't forget the pelvic floor

What would we do without you, Masque? Laughing

Prolapsed? Confused
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque, you are a weird scary man. Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Not this time rolling eyes (I've really got to do summat about my reputation) Body position over the skis with the movement of the pelvis forward to get rid of 'excuse my while I finish this dump' position so favoured by many beginners needs not just your back muscles but more important your core strength is vital to get this right and not fatiguing.

Of course it's also a bonus when you're caught short on a long chair ride too . . .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bambionskiis,

Where are you based ? You say you have a dryslope close by. Which one?

I'd suggest approaching them (or the local snow slope) with the view to a quick refresher lesson. I've done loads of these and people always remember how it all works; little bit of updating anythung that's changed since they were last skiing and off they go....
ski holidays
All, if the OP has only previously skied on snow would they get more out of a fridge than a dry slope even if it meant travelling further?
ski holidays
Great to know there are a few more mature mums on here - pretty encouraging.
Pelvic floor - hadn't thought of that (although midwife did me a big favour by going through this a few years ago!).
I'm in Gloucestershire so slope is easy to get to - having a chat with them is a good idea.
Megamum, going into fridges is what's got me into this mess, but yes, it is certainly a concern that I will chat through with the ski place. I went to Tamworth snowdome a few years ago and I hated it because it was packed; perhaps I just got it on a bad day.
ski holidays
Tamworth has its busy times, pretty much any weekend session actually at this time of year. But if you can get there either during the day in the week or on a Wednesday night when it is ski only you'll find it a lot better. Plus if you are happy skiing the Tamworth hardpack you will wonder what all the fuss is about when everyone else is moaning about icy conditions in the resort!
ski holidays
bambionskiis, When we lived in Malvern, we preferred skiing over at gloucester ski slope compared to Tamworth snow dome again mainly due to how crowded it was. I believe they have been improving the Gloucester slope from what I have read here recently (we moved away from area 8yrs ago due to my employer relocating me to a different site)
latest report
davkt, well said. That's what I tell the mrs when I am pogoing around to the undertones at the school PTA party. Not as easy as it was in the 80s.....
latest report
I found the Shred DVD really good for building my fitness (and shrinking my back bottom) after kids. It takes very little time to do and will give you basic fitness and a core workout. Plus you can do it in your own home so there are very little excuses not to!

You'll be fine Smile
latest report
bambionskiis, Gloucester is a great slope - unfortunately it's sufficiently far from me I only get there once or twice a year (for races). There are also a couple of posters here who are instructors at that slope if you want an insider's recommendation - best times to go etc. (e.g. you could PM roga). As others have said, check out their "refresher course" options - which is the main thing you'll need to get your previous prowess back. Dendix does have a reputation for damaging hands (not entirely unmerited) - but you really shouldn't have any problems at your level if you're being taught properly, that's the point of instruction! They may also have bulk deals so you can get plenty of sneaky practice in really cheaply before you go on your holiday (e.g. our slope has a really good deal for a monthly ticket). Plastic is not the same as snow (it's generally more predictable, but more taxing on your technique), but as Cynic said above, once you've got things remembered using the plastic, being able to flaunt it out on the real stuff will feel wonderful.
ski holidays
sev112 wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
. The instructor will lightly access you at the beginning of the first lesson and sort you into groups of similar ability. )

Blimey, lessons have changed a lot since I started out

Shocked Laughing
snow report
all this talk of lunging and squatting and pelvic floors seems to have frightened poor bambionskis away. Can you blame her? More like childbirth than a holiday. wink
snow report
Firstly panic is wasted on thinking keep it until you are skiing. You dont have to be extremely fit as you are in lessons and the class will stopping and starting a lot the first 3 days as the instructor tries to get the class to have some sort of shape. The most important 20 minutes of the holiday is getting the right boots after that things become easier. As the days go by you will ski longer and become more confident. The longest time skiing will be 15 minutes as the runs will be broken down to allow instruction. The aim at the end is to be able to ski as a family down the mountain the last day nothing like it. Dont worry about it get some walking and cycling in you only need to do at most half hour cycle at a time
snow report
Get yourself as fit as you can. Nobody returns from a ski holiday resolving to exercise less before the next one!
latest report
Get fit to ski and not ski to get fit is the MOTTO of a lot of folk.
If you have skied before and can just remind yourself of certain basic principles you will be fine. Since you last skied skis on the whole are shorter and with a bit of practise far easier to control. Yes you will find it tiring, but within 2 days you will agin be hooked. ENJOY!!
snow report
Kenny wrote:
Get yourself as fit as you can. Nobody returns from a ski holiday resolving to exercise less before the next one!

So true, and no matter how fit you get its still never enough.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sev112 wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
. The instructor will lightly access you at the beginning of the first lesson and sort you into groups of similar ability. )

Blimey, lessons have changed a lot since I started out

LOL!!!

I'm 40 this year, clearly I'm past it Sad
ski holidays
Luv that your husband got you a trampoline!! Very good for your leg muscles and flexiblity... as well as being a right laugh.
Enjoy your holiday - it will come flooding back and there's often people in the same boat as you - so intermediate is right.
You can sign up for my email course (6 emails) to get you into the sensations and remembering things before you get out there.

Have fun! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
The best thing for you will be the improvements in ski tech in that 11 years, the skis will turn themselves.................. Very Happy
latest report
Cynic wrote:
Quote:

Well said! Come on you lot all us 40 somethings are part of generation X, growing older is mandatory, growing up isn't!

Very good time to do all those things before it is too late, joining a tennis or badminton club is handy if you fancy getting a divorce.

Only if you are a sad negative person. There is a word for sad negative people. We call them cynics Razz
ski holidays
You will have a GREAT time no matter what. The most important thing, though, is to ski each day until you've had enough, know when it's enough, and then park yourself in the sun with a hot drink and some great tunes on the ipod (or, if you're so inclined, books on tape or podcasts ...) Skiing past fitness point is dangerous and no fun, while hanging out at the mid-station cafe is - great people watching, too.
ski holidays
bambionskiis, I'm off next week for my first trip in 7 years. Previous to that I had 2 weeks of lessons so I'm not a beginner but hardly an experienced intermediate. Most of my group are all experienced boarders and I was getting a bit nervous so I booked an hours lesson at a dry slope, would've used an indoor one but the dry slope is much nearer. It was the best thing I could've done, a quick refresher on the basics, leaning forward more and generally getting the feel of boots and skis again. By the end of it I felt so much better about my upcoming trip, I'd really recommend it for you.
snow report
I too skiied 3 times as a teenager, started again 2 years ago at the age of 48. off to Sauze d'Oulx for my 4th trip in that time. I don't know why I waited so long, also persuauded hubby to take it up and now he is completeley hooked. you will have a fantastic time, maybe a little slower than when you were younger but hey it is all about enjoying it. I am going to book lessons this time to improve my technique and have invested in a helmet too. Already looking ahead to a possible over Christmas trip to Morzine. Be prepared to start planning your whole life around holidays. HAVE FUN Laughing
snow report
Go and enjoy yourself. Its a holiday Smile

You need to go and ski to your abilities whether that be using the full width of the piste or a narrow line. Turn how you want to turn. As for using a dry slope prior to going away it will give you some confidence and help to get back into the swing of things. Do they have ladies specific sessions? If so they are well worth it, no male bravado to deal with.

When on your hols if you find a nice piste you enjoy skiing on spend some time on there building up your confidence and speed.

As for age I taught an 80 year old to ski on a dry slope, he went on his first ski holiday and had a great time. Unfortunately he gave up skiing as his "friends" gave him such a hard time
latest report
Hi
I started skiing when I was 47.
Initially, I found it extremely difficult, but then after about 7 hours it all started to click.
I'm 58 now and really, really enjoying my skiing.
Last week I did the Lauberhorn at Wengen (including the wonderfully steep pitch) and also the Kandahar at Les Houches (including the very steep funnel shaped pitch.)
No falls, but I ski very carefully.
I have mastered moguls and the powder is just starting to make sense i.e. I have realised what it feels like, how you keep the feet closer together, and do gentle turns rather than abrupt turns with the weight fairly evenly distributed.
I am of heavy build but very fit and have strong legs ( I walk up Snowdon or similar most weeks.)
Sometimes my knees hurt a bit but I wear the blue neoprene knee supports with the round opening, they work fine.
Hope this helps and encourages anyone thinking of taking up skiing later in life.
I am always pleased to hear from skiers in my age group, I live in North Wales.
I am going for a weekend in the 3 Valleys March 8th, and then will start planning next years skiing, keen to hear of any trips for my age group.
ski holidays
In your 40s, you should be in your prime! I took up cycle time trialling at 44, was the fittest that I've ever been at 47 and didn't start skiing till I was 56. Wish that I'd been doing it in my 40s. At least I get cheaper lift passes now! Smile
snow report
Quote:

keen to hear of any trips for my age group.

try one of the snowheads bashes - all ages, including a few folks senior to yourself. wink
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

keen to hear of any trips for my age group.

try one of the snowheads bashes - all ages, including a few folks senior to yourself. wink

+1 Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy