Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ellmau - Hotel Hochfilzer / Haus Garden heeeeeelp!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so our remit to the agent was a beginners, family friendly, quiet (but no too quiet) resort. Hotel with leisure facilities (for when 8 year old decides he hates skiing and we need a Plan B) but most importantly with 2 bedrooms/a seperate bedroom with twin beds for the kids. The reason for this being that none of us ever get sleep if we try sleeping in the same room. The kids are boy 8 and girl 11, so a double bed isn't going to work. The agent came back with Hochfilzer Haus Garden, which I've since found out are in fact 2 seperate buildings. We had asked to be in the hotel where the leisure stuff is so that when we finish skiing, we can just stay in and not have to go out again for the pool and meals. The agent said that this wasn't a problem as we would be in the hotel. HOWEVER, I wasn't convinced so before paying the balance, I emailed the hotel direct and the response was that we were in fact in the Haus Garden NOT in the hotel. Oh frig. I can't work out how far the Haus Garden apartment building is from the hotel. If it's directly opposite and a hop skip and jump away then we can probably work with this. Can anyone help please.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't stayed at the Hochfilzer but I have eaten meals there and I remember it as being very nice. I believe that the appartments are literally across the road. I don't think you will have a problem.It's some years since I was there with my children, but they all loved Ellmau enormously and we went back five or six times. Great for families. I recommend the Kaiserbad leisure pool as well, even if there is a pool etc at the Hochfilzer. If you do visit the Kaiserbad, get a Gastekarte from the Hotel (it's what you pay the 'Tourist Tax' for) and you get a small discount. And keep an eye on the clock as if you are late leaving the Kaiserbad, you are liable to be charged for the extra time you spend in there (I think they allow 15 minutes to get dry / changed - not enough for a family with children)
The Hochfilzer is very very central.
I'm jealous. Send a report as to how you find the hotel and the skiing and the town. I need very little to tempt me into going back
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply. You have put my mind at rest. I don't feel I can get an honest opinion from my agent (wonder why!) about how far away it is so it's good to have a reliable opinion. Thanks for the advice about the leisure pool(I hadn't realised there was one) - there is no way I would get my two out of the pool, dressing and ready to go in 15 minutes! Fingers crossed that it won't be too long before you are able to return. I'll report back when I return.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I see from your other post that you are panicking. DON'T PANIC !
On my first trip to Ellmau it was my second time abroad skiing. With four children aged between 7 and 15. Mrs S was booked to come but with less than a week to go, she decided that she couldn't face the idea of flying and so it was me plus the munchkins. It was a magnificent holiday. We stayed in a catered chalet about a mile outside Ellmau. Chalet Aigner (does anyone know if it is still in use?). Not sure who runs it now, if anyone. The kids were all first timers so were booked into lessons. I just tended to hang around where the classes were for the youngest as she has a major heart condition (still has, will need a transplant at some stage). In fact, the reason we chose Ellmau was down to the brilliant wonderful consultant at The Freeman Hospital, Dr Bain, who said 'We can't officially advise that you go anywhere cold, or anywhere high, or do anything too strenuous..... so if you are going to go and ski, try Ellmau'
I never expected the 7 yr old to do the full week in lessons and we took a day out in the middle of the week to relax at the Kaiserbad. The older ones were luckily doing fine by then and didn't want dad hanging around.
They all loved the hot chocolate with whipped cream (Heisse schokolade mit schlag) and I'm quite partial to the same (mit ein schuss rhum)

The only very very minor criticism was that there was a T Bar tow which had to be mastered to get up a certain slope. But even that wasn't too bad.
Enjoy yourself. Use the kids as an excuse not to do too much. Don't worry about taking a day out to relax (for the children's sake of course).Try to ski across to Going and go up the chair to the Astberg and enjoy the run back down - stay well to the right (when facing downhill) and almost as soon as you set off back down, bear right after only 50 yards or so onto a snow covered road. Go along that for a while and then turn off left over a wee bit of a gentle drop before coming across a lovely hut for a coffee stop - the children liked that one.

Sorry I got a bit carried away. Must focus on work instead of typing on here.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh bless, what an absolute star to still go away on your own, especially with 4 children, one being less than 100% healthy. I really, really hope she is sorted soon. Great tip about the route down, I usually find out this sort of thing on the last day. One of the attractions is definately theskiing hot chocolate - I still remember this after 11 years. I'm now convinced that we have picked the right resort for us, which is fab, so thanks for that.
Yes, I know what you mean, must focus on ironing instead of being on here!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The 7 yr old is now 21. Which isn't bad going considering that she was never going to live to be a teenager. She still needs a heart transplant. Sometime. It changes your perspective on life. Wrap up in cotton wool or get out there and live it. And if you are not doing as much as some others, well sod it. Do the best you can and go for it.
Really really enjoy Ellmau. We certainly did
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy