Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lyon to la plagne....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good morning Snowheads. I have a bit of a quandary. We have booked our flights into Lyon and our accommodation in la plagne. The dilemma we have is whether to hire a minibus for the 6 of us or to arrange a private transfer. I can get a minibus for approx £400 plus diesel/tolls etc, whereas I have got quotes for between £5-600 for transfers. I am after some advice regarding the final drive up the mountain. I know most of the distance is on motorway but is the mountain drive a Hairy experience or is it pretty straight forward?. Some additional info which may be relevant. We arrive into Lyon late on a Wednesday, so we are staying overnight in the hotel, therefore we can depart anytime Thursday to avoid busy times on the road.. No laughing allowed, but I suffer from severe vertigo therefore if the drive is particularly Hairy I will just get a transfer, but if straight forward then I shall just do the drive myself. The only other times I can compare to is the drive from Geneva to Cham which was a doodle, and Sofia to pomporova which we did at night & I couldn't see a thing (equally a doodle)... Oh yeh, we a going 4-12 April and staying in Hauts Bois. All advice is welcome and I don't mind anyone making jokes about the vertigo as long as its constructive.... Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a typically winding road up to resort, as you expect from most high altitude ski resorts. I don't suffer from vertigo so can't truly comment on how you'll be affected, but I know my eyes were firmly on the road all the way up (and down) when I drove, so only got glances of the valley floor and the wider scenery. I remember there being a lot of trees too so the view was limited anyway....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
grandunion, the drive up can be hairy, or fairly straightforward, depending on weather (and on a thursday in april you can expect traffic to be free flowing at any time of the day). Your vertigo is a bit worrying, though. My brother in law has the same problem and he found those high viaducts up into the Chamonix valley very, very, upsetting. He certainly couldn't drive them - he had to keep his eyes shut. If there are 6 of you, is there anyone else who could drive if you have problems?

Given the small difference in price, and the fact that a minibus from Lyon probably won't be fitted with winter tyres without additional charges, I think I'd be inclined to book a transfer - then you can relax and not worry about it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
grandunion, Speak to the nice people at www.ski4funtransfers.co.uk I suspect as a snowHead they will sort you out a sensible price Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The switchbacks on the road u there won,t give you vertigo, since they are pretty well tree lined and not the narrow, rocky roads that on imagines a mountain pass to be.... However, they might trigger car sickness... As we discovered when we followed the car in front too closely a few years back..... Nice!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for a transfer - tolls will be about £10 each way, snow chain hire will be another 30, diesel for 400km and you may well have to pay for parking for the week (not an LP local so can't help with free areas).

Book a transfer and have an extra G&T on the plane - the holiday begins right away!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All I can say is that I arranged a transfer through a colleague for €50.00 from Lyon to Montchavin, all legit and above board!!!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are free municipal car parks in both plagne 1800 and les coche... Can't comment on the other LP villages
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Catch the train from Lyon to Aime and the bus to resort? Probably cheaper to get a transfer then you can relax and not worry about roads, chains and can shut your eyes if you want! We have just used Ski4fun and they were really helpful.
PS for vertigo, sit in the back and try to snooze/meditate/breathing....La Plagne isn't too bad for access though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy