Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HOW COLD IS HEMEL HEMPSTEAD SLOPE

Poster: A snowHead
Going to Hemel tomorrow to check out my new boots. Never been before - just how cold is it? Do you really need to wrap up or just a top and ski jacket? Puzzled Nice answers please!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously there's no wind chill so it's generally a fair bit warmer than a normal day on a real slope. It can be bloody cold if you're unlucky enough to be there when they turn the snow cannons on.

I generally used to wear normal base layer plus jumper, but with a light raincoat rather than a ski jacket. Always gloves (draglift poles are cold), never bothered with a hat. Don't be one of the silly chavs in goggles...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not very helpful, I know, but it varies. Usually I wear the same as I would wear on an average day in the mountains, and am not too warm. Occasionally I don't bother with a hat. (Unfortunately my feet almost always seem to get cold at Hemel, whereas they rarely do on a proper mountain.)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Air temp will be around -2(somethims a little colder on days when there are freestyle features setting - usually Thursday and friday); slope will be empty of furnature tomorrow I believe.

Snow temp is somewhat colder as this is cooled via under snow pipes.

When on the main slope I usually wear T-shirt, fleece and jacket and usual ski trousers.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FWIW, I've experienced it being very cold, several times, first thing on a Monday morning.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Surely the BIG question about Hemel is why it takes you 15 minutes of navigating the snow centre website before you can figure out how much a session costs! It's not me is it Smile

Oh and it's cold but not terrifyingly so.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's chilly but it's easy enough to pop out and put on another layer. Not like having to trek off a mountain.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Depends on what your doing, I used to come off sweating with just a t shirt, softshell and tracksuit bottoms! Confused
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Generally the temperature ranges from -3 to -6 but, as said, there's no wind to factor in... so if you work hard you will get hot. A base layer and jacket should be plenty but to be on the safe side take a mid layer. The lockers take a returnable £1 which makes life a lot easier if you need to go in more than once.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The lockers take a returnable £1 which makes life a lot easier if you need to go in more than once.

MK take note
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bloody freezing ... 2hours top whack on the slope imo
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've never experienced it being very cold, I usually wear a baselayer and either a fleece or light jacket along with my ski trousers, woolly gloves and a beanie. If you are likely to fall over replace woolly gloves for waterproof ones. Basically if my head and my hands are warm then so is the rest of me. It's not like the lift is long, high or exposed to the wind! I tend to keep moving and work on drills though, If you stand around a lot chatting or watching kids then you may want a warmer jacket. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, Very Happy

a long sleeve base layer and jacket or fleece is all I wear and ski pants of course before there's any smart arsed comments.

your feet will get colder as they are in constant contact with the snow covered fridge .

if you stand at the top chatting/gossiping for hours, like some I could mention on here Very Happy , you'll get cold.
if you ski a bit every now and then you'll warm up, simples
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neville,
Quote:

if you stand at the top chatting/gossiping for hours

I don't - almost all my time at Hemel is spent being put through my paces by a couple of sadists who shall remain nameless, but I still get cold sometimes. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am taking my new uniform to Hemel to try it out, if warm enough for there with thermals and gilet I know for normal skiing weather it will be good enough. Because one spends more time on lifts than skiing it can be a chilly place.
latest report
Significantly colder than Tamworth as I recall. I always feel way too warm at Tamworth and usually end up just skiing in jeans and a base layer. At Hemel Hempstead or Manchester I wear my salopettes and a fleece over my base layer. But there's no wind chill, so it's not especially cold. I certainly wouldn't wear an insulated ski jacket.
snow conditions
Thanks for your tips - had a good couple of hours there today and it wasn't too busy. Mr Piehole, just the one in goggles today rolling eyes and it wasn't me!!
snow report
RUGBY PETER wrote:
Thanks for your tips - had a good couple of hours there today and it wasn't too busy. Mr Piehole, just the one in goggles today rolling eyes and it wasn't me!!

Bugga; faffed a bit about bring the kids down for a ski on my day off; decided it would probably be rammed so stayed away...... Sad
snow report
If it makes you feel better it looked busy when I left around 2ish.
ski holidays
I think its quite warm (-2 or so). Usually just normal trousers and jacket with a t-shirt and gloves (ofc). No base layers, hat or scarf required. Not even a thermal. After about an hour of up and down I sometimes have to open the vents in my jacket.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy