Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2013 Milky Way/ ViaLattea : Sauze - Sestriere

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from Sauze d'Oulx - conditions great at the moment, particularly on the drag served slopes at the top of Sauze and the black running back towards Sauze from Sansicario. Anyone heading out for New Year - enjoy!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the update a.j., There will be 8 of us are going to Sauze D'Oulx on 3rd of Feb , staying at the Hotel Martin in Jouvence. Anyone got any advice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks for info, good to know
which did you find better? sauze or sestriere?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi mike - have a good holiday - would you mind updating on hotel and resort when you get back pls - just been looking at same for xmas 2013 - cheers Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zarazag, Sure will, All packed and waiting to go. anyone else going out there tomorrow ?, or have any tips.
We will be looking for some easy runs to start as half the group are only on there 2nd week.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike SWest, any updates Mike? Though not out there for another couple of weeks...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Curzonian, We all had a great time, see my post here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2228845&highlight=#2228845.
Are you staying in the Hotel Martin ?, Any questions just ask.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Mike SWest, we're staying in the (I imagine more budget) Hermitage.

Two of our group also only on second week so glad you guys had a good time - slightly concerned about the absolute beginner getting up to the nursery and otherwise hoping there will still be plenty of snow!

Any après recommendations always welcome!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Curzonian, We we went up the Jouvence Aux lift from the hotel Martin, so never went up the lift from the main town. Sounds like your next to the Clotes lift, If you go up that one and then go up Lago Nero to above Sportina. As you come down from that lift there is a Blue 11bis on the right, I took our 2nd weeker's down there but they did complain it was a bit narrow and they would have rather stayed on the Red 11ata. So the next run we did that, but they really struggled on that as it is quit steep and was very busy and chewed up.
So if they are complete beginners I guess they may be better going up on the Sportina lift which should take them to the nursery slop. I did not do either from the main town but think that's right.
Looks like there will be plenty of snow, it was only the bottom of red 12 that was a bit bare and closed when I was their and they seem to have had enough to keep it topped up since.
We only drank in the hotel, so can,t help you with Apres.

I liked the runs off the 3 drag lifts at the top left of the map, but 1 & 2 where only open weekends when I was there, (I hate drags, but it was worth it as good runs and quite)
Also liked all the runs in the bowl and also the runs in Sansicario. I went across to Sestriere one day, but was not that impressed so did not bother again though it is worth going to have a look. (Again the drag 18 to the top of Black 31 is worth doing just for the view.)

For lunch we eat either in the Capanna Kind (Great pizza for 9 euros that was enough for 2 or 3 of us) and also Orso Bianco which was easer to get a seat inside ( It was very cold the week i was there) Both of these are in Sportina.

Any other questions please ask, I was looking at going back myself on the 9th March, but not looking likely now.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
excellent week in claviere 10th to 17th feb. snow first 36 hours then sunshine almost constantly. stayed at grand Claviere hotel, great all inclusive (crystal , IF you like lots of kids). v quiet town, v quiet pistes. Montgenevre easy to access, the rest of the Via Lattea is a bit of a trek, but enjoyed our 1 day in Sauze (make sure you leave enough time to get back !). local pass (cheap, 130 euros) , gives you one day in each area, which was fine for us. kids (7-14yrs) coped fine with 'black' run back to top end of resort to the back door of the hotel. would definitely return, cracking little resort for what we needed, highly recommended
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks again Mike SWest, looking forward to falling off some drags! Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
risb98, sounds like you had a great time!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Am going out to grande claviere hotel on sun 10th , any tip risb86?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is a kids hotel, simple as that.
yes, when you arrive, get down to the ski hire shop straight away when they open at 2. tiny shop, gets VERY busy, friends waited 3 hours later in the day. google map the resort and you can see the hire shop on the piste mid way between the two chairlifts (ski school also). make sure you have your receipts, the owner tries to suggest you havent paid for everything....
We found local pass fine ( skiing on a budget ), monty 1 day, milky way 1 day.
red and black runs were fine for our 7 yr old .
Table next to us had a terrible time on the chef night off skidoo up to restaurant trip, others liked it. there is one pizza restaurant which got very good reports.
remember to ski in to the hotel from the top end of the resort to stop a long 5 min walk back to the hotel at the end of the day.
Best off piste in claviere was called eagles nest, highest point closest to montgenevre, big bowl where you can traverse accross and pick your line, or go through the trees.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ahh many thanks, we have all our own gear so no worries there.

Dan
latest report
Off to Sauze on Sunday.....anyone able let me know how easy it is to get over to Montgenevre? Looks like you can ski over but looks a real fag. Is there a bus service between the two resorts?
ski holidays
steepski,

I've been looking into it too, and it sounds like it takes a good couple of hours to ski there. Haven't managed to find out much info on the bus yet, but there are strong rumors that one exists.
snow report
hmmmm, that's what I thought. Don't necessarily mind the ski over there but thought getting the bus would give more time actually skiing over there before having to head for home.
snow report
steepski, cafe at the top of Sansicario to cafe in the village at Montgenevere 1 hour 15 mins - most of the time spent on lifts going down from Sansicario and the 3 lifts up the Claviere side.

Not sure how long from Sauze up to the top of Sansicario.

Worth the trip over.
ski holidays
The Crystal rep told us it could be done but you would not have much time there and a lot of the time going over and coming back was on lifts He also said parts of the blue piste 90 on the way back was either closed or very icy, so better to get the lift back down ( That was in Feb, It may be better now).

They did a bus trip once a week or he did say we could ski over and they could just bring us back. He said to arrange a bus back yourself would mean changing twice and be a nightmare, but then he would say that wouldn't he. (though he did seem an honest enough chap)

We didn't get there in the end as there was more then enough in Sauze, Sansicario and Sestriere for us.
If I went back though I'm sure I would go over.
snow conditions
steepski: its a long way , and getting back is much longer than getting there, 2 hours travelling without stopping. its several chairs up and down, skiing inbetween is okay. i never really enjoying skiing to get somewhere. if you are 'on the first lift in the morning, and last off the mountain' type then yes go for it, but you wont find skiing any better than in the rest of the via lattea. we stayed in claviere and found montgenevre accessible and fun, but spent about 2 hours skiing in sauze on the day we decided to travel to milky way (ie rest of day was spent getting there and back, 10:15 start, home on last lift). if you have a car, drive.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone. Will def head over there for a day. As I'm staying with Crystal will see if they offer the bus trip, if so will probably cop out and take that. Otherwise go for the hoof over and hide the piste map from the girlfriend so she can't see how far it is. Once we're there we'll have to ski back although may cost me a few vin chauds that evening
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy