Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie: What gear to buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Val Thorens end of January. Last time I went skiing was about 10 years ago as a kid so none of the clothes I had fit me anymore. I'm basically after a list of cheap but decent kit to buy, this is the list I've got at the moment...

Socks
Gloves
Base layer/Thermals
Jacket
Trousers
Goggles
Helmet?

I've read that Dare2B and Trespass are good value for money and have seen the Dare2B stuff on sportpursuit, but their delivery time is cutting it fine for my trip.
Also read about the Lidl/Aldi clothing but those events seem to have been and gone now.
Amazon have a sale on some of their ski gear at the moment + 20% selected items including Dare2B and Trespass kit.
Decathlon have some good prices, is their Wed'Ze brand any good? Unfortunately no stores near me though.
I've also been looking on M&M, and skiwear4less - some decent prices on them.

I'll be heading into TK Maxx tomorrow to see what gear they have.

Any other websites or brands that people would recommend? Is Quiksilver/Animal/O'Neill/Helly Hansen/Regatta any good?
Good brands of goggles? Bolle/Anon/Oakley/Rossignol?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go Outdoors are reasonable value for some ski gear.

Looking at your list, I'd also consider getting a neck warmer that you can pull up over the lower half of your face on chairlifts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got a quick silver ski school jacket, cold and sweaty.

Bolle are good, Anon I like, Oakley I don’t, very expensive all people I know have had problems with scratching the inside of the lens making them useless.

Good jacket the most important I think. Sale price Spyder, Northface, Salomon people find good. If you buy it think three purposes Ski Street and Après
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Chapperz

Welcome to SH!

Its easy to get sucked into you must have "X,Y and Z because its just what skiers need".. since its your first time in a while forget Oakley, Quicksilver, Animal or any other "recognisable brand" the best advise is go cheap!

Unfortunately I've seen too many people spend hundreds of pounds of stuff that only gets used once (I'm guilty! I'm a skier and one year thought I'd also be able to snowboard... I spent about £300 on wrist-guards, padded shorts and knee pads etc which are now gathering dust after only 5 days of use!). If you get the bug and decide its for you and want to go frequently, then make the investment in the branded stuff.

Trousers/Jacket - TKMax is your friend, I can highly recommend the Trespass clothing.. they are comfortable, water proof and cheap, but don't expect them to last more than 2-3 trips Smile alternatively if you want branded then go to a shop and find the make and size you want, then order it off eBay.

Gloves - I have 4 pairs, 2 cheap pairs of fleece / wind stopper gloves for good clear days (these rock! only cost about £4.99 from Blacks) and 2 pairs of "ski" gloves .. I carry a pair of each with me everytime I go out. That way if 1 pair get wet, I can swap them over. Likewise if I get too hot, I can switch the fleece/wind stoppers.

Goggles - There are hundreds of makes and models of Goggles, they differ in fittings and lenses. Everybody has different requirements. Personally I find I can only use Pink for Flat light, then Gray lenses for Bright light, anything else and it just causes me problems. Until you find what is most suitable for you, avoid expensive lenses like Oakley and Bolle.. get a pair off ebay for £20-£30 .. When you get to the resort, go into a shop and try the different makes and models while looking at the mountains and decide which gives you the best visibility.

Top Base layers - I recommend 2 types, 1 for "warmish" days which can be any long sleeved sports shirt will do for this (as long as it draws moisture away). Then 1 for colder days, which I use a fleecy.

Bottom Base layer - For warmer days, your normal boxers will do.. for colder days take 1 or 2 pairs of Long johns (Highly recommend the Go Outdoors ones).

Socks - get THIN SOCKS!!! your boots are already insulated, thicks socks will stop your feet breathing (so you will sweet more and the Socks will turn into a sponge!).

This is just my 2p worth, I'm quite stacked and insulated, if you feel the cold then adjust accordingly Smile

The only thing I would not scrimp on or buy online is the helmet.. its a potential life saver, but they are fragile and once damaged they are useless. Unfortunately the damage could be internal to the helmet and you may never know about it. Again though, shop around (I've even heard of a few people buying helmet from Cycle shops!).[/quote]
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kelv1n, be sensible, WTF would be the use of a 'fragile' helmet? They're designed to withstand impacts, that's the whole point.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
you can try sports direct - good value for most ski gear and excellent enough to start with.

dont let the snobs put you off, as it has the advantage of the stuff will be in stock, and its not pot luck like tkmax

Hawkhead for fleeces - especially microfleeces which can be easily picked up for £7.50 in the sale online
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chapperz, welcome to snowHeads. Kelv1n, has been v.helpful, also have a look here... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard wrote:
Kelv1n, be sensible, WTF

Lizard, be sensible, WTF indeed.

"If a helmet has been dropped or the wearer has been in a fall or collision while wearing the helmet, a new one should be purchased, even if it appears undamaged."

Please see http://www.safekidscanada.ca/Professionals/Safety-Information/Winter-Helmets/Ski-Helmets/Ski-Helmets.aspx

Most helmets are not designed to withstand impacts, they are designed to aborb a single forceful impact, after which the helmet should be replaced. snowHead

Like the Parachute seller said "if it doesn't work, bring it back and we'll exchange it for you!". Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy