Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montafon ski area,Austria.

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody know of the Montafon area ?
May be going in March,which would be the best of the numerous villages to stay in ?
I went there once to Gaschurn,but it was a long,long time ago ........
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
immer schuss, am booked for a week early March staying in Schruns first time there. My pal has gone down there today for a 2 day reccy, we've stayed on in St Anton because we could not find a room......he's already been on saying its maybe best to rebook for Arlberg! Could just be post traumatic stress though after 8 days in St Anton over Xmas. I'm looking forward to giving it a go, 4x a year otherwise to Arlberg may be getting a tad obsessive, but think once been you are spoilt forever......!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
immer schuss, there's a couple of recent threads on this area....somewhere on snowHeads. Schruns is a fairly central place to stay.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Let us know what your pal thinks after his recce !!
I have been to St Anton too,but my mates are intermediate boarders so it may be a bit much........
We did think of Schruns too as it looks like the centre of the area.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B,
Yes true,but like many of the resort reports they are years old !!!
Could do with a good clearout as only up to date views are relevant......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
immer schuss, I think it'll be fine, but we are looking for big powder bowls and op ops and he's spent all the holiday doing big op routes so I think he's just feeling down a bit, will get a full report and let you know after New Year. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been there a few times, Schruns is best. It's not lively like st Anton but very pretty and great skiing. Don't miss the small resort of Gargellan it's a little jewel, and if you are adventurous has a big off piste decent.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
immer schuss, Contact Dulcamara as he is actually based in that area now. He will have the most up to date information
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
immer schuss, there are a few recent (as in last month) threads that I have contributed to. It was these I was suggesting you looked at, not the ones a few years old.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://bit.ly/VdEELx
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the info,point taken !!
It looks a great area,we are thinking of driving down,google says about 9 hours from Calais which would be OK.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
immer schuss, it's not too bad a drive from Calais. Through Switzerland is slightly quicker provided there aren't too bad queues at Mullhouse. Alternatively coming in from the North via Germany isn't much longer and avoids border controls and Swiss vignettes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
immer schuss, Best route in car from Calais IMO is Calais/ Dunkirk/ Ostende/ Brussels/ Liege/ Aachen/ Koln/ Koblenz/ Heilbronn/ Aalen/ Ulm/ Bregenz/ Dornbirn/ Schruns, can go Stuttgart/ Mulhouse but at heavy traffic periods the roadworks can delay, we did this early yesterday left St Anton 8am, and got to Calais at 17.00 CET, good run but traffic very light being NYD.............dont forget to buy a vignette at Austria border, cheap but heavy fine if caught without.

My pal has been less than enthralled with Schruns it seems, brief phonecalls but says that compared with Arlberg its not great, slow lift access to altitude, not much off-piste etc. Have agreed to meet up at the weekend for a ski tune session/ general craic and a curry so will know more after this. We will need to rearrange out 2nd March week planned to Schruns if he's got a real downer still, but as mentioned above I'm keen to explore the area and have heard god things about Montafon so plan on going for it. He says its much cheaper than St Anton, lunches/ beers etc, although lift pass similar price.........reckon he was just down though because of post-Arlberg blues so will advise more after the weekend!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

avoids border controls

there are no more controls anywhere (except at Calais) - it's all Schengen now (even Switzerland and Liechtenstein) Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gaschurn is small. St Gallenkirch is smaller and Partenen is tiny. If you have a car it's easy to drive between the resorts. Don't forget that winter tyres are compulsory in Germany (all 4 wheels, please!) I would always choose small and friendly over large and busy, but that's just me.
snow conditions
Quote:

there are no more controls anywhere

Puzzled I must have dreamt the border crossings I've done between Switzerland and France (several times) in recent weeks.
latest report
Deserted when I went thru (France-Switzerland near Geneva, about 8 times in the summer, twice in December, Switzerland-Germany the same, Switzerland-Austria twice recently, Liechtenstein-Austria had customs guys checking truck paperwork, but nobody around for cars). Maybe I was lucky?
ski holidays
andy, No border controls either for me when crossing from Switzerland to France and back again and the border police buildings have been demolished on all the border crossings between Germany/Austria, Germany/ France. There are still the customs buildings on the Swiss borders but I am never stopped unless I don't have a Swiss vignette on entry at the motorway crossings. That I believe is what was agreed under Schengen Agreement. But maybe British registered cars are treated differently because the UK did not sign up to the Schengen treaty I believe. I have loads of problems getting in or out of the UK at Dover but luckily my visits are no longer as frequent. My vehicle is always pulled over to the Customs Shed which hacks me off big time. The last time I actually had to account for everything in the car as I was leaving the UK and the Border Nazis were not very pleasant about it at all. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, yep always end up going thru the Dover customs/security shed. Every time without fail.

I kind of lied above - every Germany into Switzerland trip at Basel has had the guys with mobile creditcard terminals selling vignettes, but otherwise they've all been deserted.
latest report
andy, Yep that's where the barstwerds caught me last time. I gave the booger a 50 Euro note and was given 15 Euro change Shocked That was quite a mark-up I think! Last time through in November/beginning of Decmber I bought my vignette from a colleague for 10 Euro in advance. He has some trick for getting it off the windscreen without damaging it. He needs one in the summer I need it in the winter so we are going to share it for 2013 Laughing

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets picked on by the UK Border Nazis!
latest report
immer schuss, Bit of feedback, my pal says the Schruns main Hochjoch lift is very slow and takes ages to get to the main ski area, also that Gaschurn is higher, has newer faster lifts and appears to be the best ski opportunity and this is only 10 mins on ski bus, which run very frequently. On this basis we are going to stick with our early March booking and try to get to know the Montafon area, I'm pretty confident that there will be some great runs out there and the days are longer so we can spend time moving about if necessary.
ski holidays
Markymark29, so it sounds like the general advice is to stay in Schruns but take the bus rather than use the local lift? I'd heard that this lift was pretty old too (from WTSS I think). From the piste map it looks like you can ski back to Schruns (although depending on where the hotel is this might still mean a long walk).

I'm wondering about staying up in Gargellan. I know the area there is small but it looks like it's pretty easy to get down to the other areas on the bus and it sounds like a nice little place. Any thoughts on that idea? Is it too small? It sounds like it's about the same scale as somewhere like Zauchensee - not sure if anyone can compare?

We'll be out there in early March too (from about the 2nd onwards).
snow report
sah, Same week then, we'll ski 8 days Sat-Sat, see you if you are about?.....We looked at staying up there too at Gargellen but have booked in Schruns already and the ski bus is regular and quick so we've decided to stay there, plus we plan on a couple of days up in Sonnenkopf midweek which will be easier on the train from Schruns via Bludenz.
snow report
Markymark29, good point re: Sonnenkopf... will pm you when we've booked something, would be good to meet for a beer for sure.
snow report
sah, Yep
ski holidays
Gargellen, Gashurn and St Gallenkirch are all small villages with limited evening eating/drinking options. If you are happy with not having a different restaurant to eat in on each night of the week, and then just a quiet beer in a bar with a few locals for company, then they are fine. Schruns is bigger with more eating out options and overall a more attractive and characterful town but still not at all St Anton style "banging" apres.

St Gallenkirch has a decent sized Spar for purchase of supplies if self catering and I seem to remember there is one in Gallenkirch as well.

St Gallenkirch is the best located place to stay for access to all of the ski areas, with fast lifts into the Nova and Hochjoch domains, and only a short bus journey to Gallenkirch.

The Nova area is the best IMHO - varied open and tree runs, good pistes and lots of easily accessible off piste, served by plenty of fast gondolas and chairs.
Hochjoch is good too particularly for the long runs down to the valley but has quiet a few slow lifts.

IIRC it is a walk or bus journey to the centre of Schruns from the bottom of the cable car there.

Gashurn has a fast(ish) gondola direct to the middle of the Nova area.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
immer schuss, Bit of feedback, my pal says the Schruns main Hochjoch lift is very slow and takes ages to get to the main ski area

There are 3 lifts that go up from Schruns to Hochjoch. One is very old, but the other two are fairly modern. The cable car is more central than the newer gondola - which has the big car park. It all depends on which part of the town you are in.
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, I'm staying up at Pension Hochjoch, right next to the main lift, is that the old or the new lift?............ called and booked it in summer and looking forweard to my first Montafon trip, it'd be a shame if the lift right across the way was an old steamer!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29, at a guess it'll be the cable car. Nice long run back down if conditions permit.....and of course the longest ski tunnel in the world. Don't forget to get some speed up before you enter it, otherwise it's a long way to pole.
snow conditions
I posted a longish summary in September, but the thread seems to have disapeared. I'd pretty much agree with HD above. We stayed at the Chesa Platina in Schruns (cheap, old but very clean and well looked-after). You don't necessarily need a car but we found one useful for exploring. The car parks are free btw except for the one by the old cable car in Schruns, whcih was only a couple of Euro IIRC. Do stop at the bar by the ols cable car at the end of the day if you ski down from the Hochjoch.

I agree about the Nova comments but do ski the Hochjoch as well.

We were very lucky with conditions and really loved it; little English is spoken and you feel away from the usual tourist spots.

If you can, get a guide and do the off-piste from Gargellen to Klosters in Switzerland and then back to Austria.

We met someone from the development company who said they were trying to open up the area to a wider client group, now that it was nearly all owned by the same company.
latest report
Elizabeth B, 476mtr long ski tunnel? I have seen the photo on German forum yesterday. Looks like a nightmare on the snowboard Wink

Area is on my to-visit list but I think I will wait another year or so as two new lifts are planned for next year. Specially the long new gondola for Hochjoch, which I think will cover the run with the tunnel.

St Gallenkirch looks like the best base for access to skiing.
snow conditions
The tunnel is fine on a board as there is a shallow but constant gradient which keeps you moving without any problems, as long as your base is reasonably well waxed.
ski holidays
The very slow lift is from Silbertal further up the valley from Schruns. (see pic below)
The main cable car to Hochjoch is reasonably quick once you're on it, although it does have a halfway halt.

latest report
hd, Many thanks. I look forward.

Would you know if the runs back to the base in Gargellen:
Red -1
Blue - 2a, 2b, 6a
are reasonably ok for boarding? I just got that feeling from the piste map they might be long, flat, narrow cat tracks?

http://www.bergfex.at/gargellen/panorama/
snow conditions
Tom W, it's a couple of years since I've skied at Gargellen but I seem to remember that they were reasonably wide.
latest report
Yes IIRC 1, 2a and 2b were ok with plenty of gradient. We didn't sample 6a.
latest report
This comment will be of no use to the OP. I skied in Montafon three years running about twenty years ago. It is a lovely area, with a lot of gentle on-piste skiing. At that time it did not have much nightlife. And I could not comment on the off-piste. Driving between the separate mountains is easy. Without a car it would be rather limited. I hope it does not become too popular: I might want to go back.
ski holidays
Looking at the Montafon website it looks a great area and there seems to be a lot of interesting trips available around the mountains rather than just piste bashing.If I do not get there this season, its a definite for next.Need to live out there really...............'so much to do ,so little time' !
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/WfPbzx3057I#t=261s&feature=share
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy