Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Weekend - Chamonix or somewhere else?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

I’m hoping someone can give me some advice....
I’m planning a weekend away skiing (aiming for 3-4 days on the slopes), and after a little bit of research, the first resort which keeps coming up is Chamonix. However, I have a couple of concerns!

To give a bit of background.....I am taking the boyfriend away for his birthday at the end of Feb as a surprise. I am an intermediate who is not very confident, whereas he is more of an expert who loves anything steep or off piste! Initially Chamonix sounded great, plenty of short stay hotel availability, close to Geneva (flights are already booked, will most likely be hiring a car), awesome off piste (family are chipping in for an off piste guide for him for a day) and plenty of bars/restaurants, but I am concerned by how spread out the ski areas are and so not very convenient when we want to make the most of our time there, and then I keep reading everywhere that it is best for experts, scaring me slightly!

Can anyone who has been give any advice? Or recommend any other resorts which might tick the boxes?

Big thank you Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
emski27, yes, it is spread out, so probably you would, other things being equal, gravitate to different parts of the valley, which are not lift linked.

However, it is very convenient from Geneva (I'd recommend having a car to get around, though) and is a lively place with stunning scenery.

BUT it will be very crowded at the end of February, as it's peak school holidays. It would be hugely better, cheaper, less crowded, to take him for an advance birthday surprise at the end of January. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would say, "go for it!". Chamonix has great energy, and the fact that things are spread out, are not an issue, IMHO (the bus system is great). Since he likes off piste, and steep terrain, he'll love it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

the bus system is great

sometimes. And sometimes very crowded, especially during the French winter hols. He would certainly love the steep off piste, but unless they ski separately he might have to give it a miss! Les Houches and Le Tour, the best areas for unconfident intermediates, are at opposite ends of the valley.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rent a car, go to Chamonix, your bf will love you for it, and it is for him, right. You might want to book a lesson ( I would rec BASS) while he's off on his adventure, there is loads of intermediate skiing at Le Tour, it's also my favourite spot for off piste as well, as it doesn't get hammered and no holes to worry about. There's a nice new cafe at the bottom of the home run into Valorcine for a romantic lunch. Check out chambre9 for a bit of lively apres. Munchies or the restaurant at the hotel Eden in Le Praz for dinner.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
emski27, Verbier is a much better bet all round
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob,
Is there any other run down into vallorcine? I took mrs sev112 down that long switchback road for a romantic lunch a few years back and she didn't ski for the next 2 days. It was very icy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sev112, it's a road. Usually ok, late in the season better to go down on the bubble. The good news is that although the secret of the station cafe is out and it's always very busy, there are two new cafes the one just at the bottom of the home run is delightful.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 30-12-12 14:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think the bubble sounds a good idea
Great location, sun out on terrace
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone, Chamonix is still looking top of my list as there seem to be much better deals for short breaks in the hotels.

Just a couple more questions I’m afraid though....
- How long is the drive normally to le tour from central chamonix? And what is the bus journey there like?
- Where is best for some nice intermediate runs where there is perhaps a bit of off piste along side – would this be le tour? I am completely prepared that we won’t be able to ski together all the time (and am hoping the off piste day will give him chance to get some of it out his system!) but I was hoping there would be somewhere with a little bit of both to keep us both happy for an afternoon or so!

Thanks again Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The drive from Le Tour to Chamonix is about 20 minutes if there is no traffic. At the end of the day there can be very large queues, especially once you get to Chamonix centre.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My longest ever queues were at Le Tour, first to buy the day pass, then to get on the main lift up (once up the hill it was OK - I was with my brother in law who was very keen; I'd have given up). Around 10 January, dead low season. Dread to think what it would be like at a busy time. Such as the end of February. It was around 12 or 13 years ago. You can probably buy the passes online in advance, these days.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
emski27, cham to le tour about 20 mins as stated

But if you are staying centrally, tbh the pistes are not nearly as tricky as some would make out. Ymmv.

I'd be thinking you might be better skiing Brevent-Flegere on your together days. Plenty of side piste for him, and sunny and south facing for you.

Pam W is a general oracle and voice of sense but in this case, the situation 13 years ago is rather different from today. Queuing isn't usually an issue and you can buy lift passes online.

I would admit that we have a car and don't use the buses, but bus queuing is not unknown elsewhere... E.g. Portes du soleil.

CHX also offers a generally better selection of restaurants than many resorts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy