Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My Geilo, Norway research

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I did a bit of research on Norway and seeing as I've done the work now I think I should share it. In general I'd say it's not worth it unless you're into expeditions, but it is different.

Summary: Quiet. More expensive than the Alps but if you're careful it shouldn't be massively so. Desolate advanced offpiste.

Quote:

Geilo Ski Costs

Liftpass:

Children Adults
1 day NOK 275 NOK 370
3 days NOK 710 NOK 950
Weekend NOK 690 NOK 920

Train from Bergen:

Min NOK 199, Average NOK ~450

Not cosy basic Hostel: NOK 399
Hotels: NOK >1100

Rental: i.e. NOK 360/day, 600/3day adult kit (geilo)

Stats:

Total lift capacity: 25 000 per hour

Number of lifts: 18 (5c hairlifts, 6 t-lifts, 7 buttom lifts)

Number of snowboardareas: 4

Number of slopes: 39; of this 9 green, 10 blue,15 red, 5 black

Slopes measured in km: 35 km

Floodlit alpine slopes: 6

Longestrun: 2000m

Maximum altitude difference: 378m

Map: http://www.geilo.no/en/winter/alpine-and-snowboard

Opening times:

Season start until 01.02

02.02 until 21.04

Christmas Eve

09.30 – 15.30

09.30 – 16.30

until 14.00

The last ski lifts close April 21st. Please note that some ski lifts and slopes may close before this date because of a lack of snow.

Night skiing

A 2 day ski pass can be used for evening skiing. You can also buy a special evening pass for NOK 125.

Evening skiing on the floodlit slopes until. 20:00.

Three evenings a week from 02.01. - 10.02.

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Geiloheisen and Slaatta

Geilolia Skisenter

Havsdalen

Four evenings a week from 11.02. - 22.03.

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Geiloheisen and Slaatta/Korken

Geilolia Skisenter

Havsdalen

Geilolia Skisenter

Three days a week from 1.04.- 05.04.

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Geiloheisen and Slaatta

Geilolia Skisenter

Havsdalen
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I beg to differ, it is possible to find great deals on chalets, with chalet board and judicious usage of airport duty frees it is possible to bring the holiday cost down to the same level as most major alpine resorts.
The experience is totally different however, the locals are very friendly with excellent english, the northern lights are awesome, the pistes are less crowded by a long way, there is never a bun fight in the lift line(if there even is a lift line), the instruction is great and in English, none of the "follow me" snake nonsense.
If you want to party hard every night you either need to be rich or in another place entirely I agree, but don't write Norway off, if you want to ski far from the madding crowd in a friendly quiet area and have a chilled holiday with a different cuisine and a few beers rather than cocktails etc then you can rest assured of getting that. Geilo or Trysil are on my list for next year depending on the deals available when we book.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can you see the Northern Lights as far south as Geilo? And when? I did a school trip to Geilo many, many, years ago. No Lights, but it was April, and maybe too late?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/index.html Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went to Geilo for my first week skiing. It was fine for that but I don't think I'd go back. I never saw anyone in the hotel bar all week, the prices were horrendous and it didn't do a lot for the atmosphere.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I too went to Geilo for my first ski trip and apart from the Alcohol prices the rest was great. Went back twice too. Soooo much quieter than France at a half term break.

We did the train option one year but most rest flew and did hire car. Bit of a trek to get there as it is a 4hr drive - hence one of the reasons we have not gone back. Main one is I dont need to do half term now so can pick quiet time elsewhere, that is easier to get to.

There were TO's going there too that used a nearer airport.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
been to Geilo once. Stayed for a very reasonable price here - http://www.drholms.no/

beautiful hotel, wonderful food with grand piano played each evening, four course meals to include fillet steak, venison etc. The locals were so friendly and their English excellent. Skiing was limited and it was freekin freezing...but we did go in January. Our daughter was the only one in ski school and had lots of fun drinking hot chocolate in the lift hut. No lift queues.

Alcohol was sooooooooooo expensive - one day there was only alcohol free beer left at the cafe Shocked Laughing we did find an off license with blacked out windows though.

My three favourite snow pics are from my Geilo holiday.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy