Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap and scummy St Anton place?

Poster: A snowHead
I see there is another St Anton thread just below. But it's not quite exactly asking the question I'm asking. Thinking of booking a sneaky trip to St Anton end of February (starting 23rd) with a couple of mates. Problem is, we're cheap and scummy and St Anton isn't.

Where would be the best place to look to find somewhere warm and possibly even clean* ... and possibly even near the Galzig lift? (Or even not near it, we don't get drunk, but would like to be able to make blue one the last run of the day a couple of times, so easy to get back to from the bottom of there.)

Can be catered, self catered, or just a room. Cheaper better than food. Def no desire for posh extras like saunas etc.

Does such a place even exist? Where would be a good place to search? Or anyone got any specific recommendations?

*The best trip I've had had me in a room with a balcony door which was frozen ajar. And a toilet shared with everyone on the same floor. And a bar in the bottom which played loud live music till 1-2am. And no sound insulation at all. The company recommended 'bring earplugs'. It was hilarious. I cried myself to sleep (with laughter) at least once.

(Yes, more questions - but what else am I going to talk to you about?)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ignore me. I've now spotted the link in the other thread. Will look at that. Do my own work for a change. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chalet schlosshof with crystal ski is looking reasonable for catered st anton
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OliviaDB, look no further than our own Stanton who is always happy to accommodate fellow snowHeads in his cheap and scummy abode in exchange for back copies of the Daily Mail and a crate of Oranjeboom
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27 wrote:
OliviaDB, look no further than our own Stanton who is always happy to accommodate fellow snowHeads in his cheap and scummy abode in exchange for back copies of the Daily Mail and a crate of Oranjeboom

I think buying the Daily Mail might be a cost too high. I can supply trashy SFF books instead ...
*goes to find a link to pm him*
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What is cheap?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That frozen door was probably me Wink I left one open, cos the room and heating was way to warm. It snowed overnight, and woke up to find a snow drift indoors. No way was it going to close after that.

Can't help on St. Anton though. Lech was good, but pricey.

Erk @ PMing stanton Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy wrote:
That frozen door was probably me Wink I left one open, cos the room and heating was way to warm. It snowed overnight, and woke up to find a snow drift indoors. No way was it going to close after that.

Can't help on St. Anton though. Lech was good, but pricey.

Erk @ PMing stanton Shocked

Appears I'm safe- he didn't reply. Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Phew! OliviaDB, stanton is the only person I genuinely have on ignore. OK every story has 2 sides, but my side is elsewhere, and I won't repeat it here.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OliviaDB, We stayed here http://www.flunger.at/englisch/index.htm cheap, clean and in a good position. I don't know if they can fit another person in the apartments for 2, that would make them very cheap.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In a vague attempt at trying to be helpful, I've scoured our FB group thingy... the fellow sH snowHead that I really should have been skiing with for new year (Grrrr!) are scattered about various hotels...

http://www.hotel-moessmer.com
http://www.fallesin.at (B+B I think?)
http://www.tenne-stanton.at

No clue as to prices, quality, etc. other than they must be quite reasonable, even at New Year.
edit: I think there are even more sH there right now, too, but I don't remember who/where. I wish I was 5 hours drive south of here.
edit2: should have mentioned - many Austrian places throw in a free lift pass and HB if you choose a cheap week, so look to see what deals they have.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also ski hire in St Anton is a cartel!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lech probably was a cartel too. Very nice place though, and stunning amounts of snow. They don't have rental shops, they have "boutiques".
But I'm guessing someone is desperate to try out her shiny new skis?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy wrote:
Lech probably was a cartel too. Very nice place though, and stunning amounts of snow. They don't have rental shops, they have "boutiques".
But I'm guessing someone is desperate to try out her shiny new skis?

That's happening in less than 2 weeks, fingers crossed!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy wrote:
In a vague attempt at trying to be helpful, I've scoured our FB group thingy... the fellow sH snowHead that I really should have been skiing with for new year (Grrrr!) are scattered about various hotels...

http://www.hotel-moessmer.com
http://www.fallesin.at (B+B I think?)
http://www.tenne-stanton.at

No clue as to prices, quality, etc. other than they must be quite reasonable, even at New Year.
edit: I think there are even more sH there right now, too, but I don't remember who/where. I wish I was 5 hours drive south of here.
edit2: should have mentioned - many Austrian places throw in a free lift pass and HB if you choose a cheap week, so look to see what deals they have.

Thank you! Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

That's happening in less than 2 weeks, fingers crossed!

Nice! I know you'll enjoy them Smile snowHead Cool

(Mine can't wait till teh birthday bash, so they'll get a workout in less than 2 weeks, too, but they're not so shiny. Only a weekend trip though.)
snow conditions
For reasonable ski hire rates in St.Anton try SkiWest Sportshop on Alte Arlberger Strasse, 25 metres up from the roundabout.
http://www.skiwest.at
ski holidays
I would say - save your money until you can have a total smash up in St Anton. Anything else is a waste.

I will be there in 17 days - 3.5day trip approx £1250 all in.
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
I would say - save your money until you can have a total smash up in St Anton. Anything else is a waste.

I will be there in 17 days - 3.5day trip approx £1250 all in.

... ... if it were to cost me that, I'd never go. I don't do skiing somewhere if it's going to cost more than a grand for a week. And that's upper limit. Sad
ski holidays
ouch! ^^that's steep. I did Lech just down the road, for way less than that, and that was back when I needed flights etc. too. Lech is pricey, really pricey. Probably paid half that for twice as many days. Tempted to head that way for a weekend in March. May as well use up my insurance quota.
snow report
I'll go cheap in other places but it's poo-poo or bust in St A. £550 on chalet, £200 on flight and transfer, £100 on lift pass £100 per day on lunch and drinks.
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
I'll go cheap in other places but it's poo-poo or bust in St A. £550 on chalet, £200 on flight and transfer, £100 on lift pass £100 per day on lunch and drinks.

That's £700 worth of eating and drinking in a week! Shocked
snow report
OliviaDB, no, it's more than that, because the chalet is presumably half board. It's just "lunch and drinks." Shocked
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, Where are you getting that £100 lift pass from, put me down for one next time I go? Last week mine was 280€ for 8 day pass wink Mind you enjoyed it so much bought additional 2 days and stayed on!
ski holidays
OliviaDB, Pedantica, Mmmm...... IME £20-25 pp lunch is going some, we usually 40€ for 2 max. Plus £15-20 on beer/ apres also going for it in my world...........could easy get in a tangle with shots and Mooswirt/ KK/ Piccadilly Bar type late apres though I guess. Whatever, just have fun!
ski holidays
Markymark29, I think Nadenoodlee's trip is only a few days not a full week? £100 is not so bad for 3 days. Think Zillertal is €88 for 2 days (need to check - that's where I'm going next).
latest report
Markymark29, only going for 4 days, 2 possibly 3 of which I will be skiing,

OliviaDB, St A - home of the 18euro Jacket Potato wink that plus a vino at lunch, a round at the Mooserwirt and BAM £100.
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee,
Quote:

18euro Jacket Potato

Blimey!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Recently released footage from Nadenoodlee's last St Anton trip:
http://youtube.com/v/4ZNHSg8RO7E
ski holidays
Wow. Maybe Lech is cheaper after all (and it gets more snow snowHead).

For cheap accomodation, try tiscover.com or tiscover.at (I forget the exact url). Covers everywhere in Austria, most of which is probably cheaper.
ski holidays
Pedantica, yep! It had smoked salmon on it and was as big as my hand but still pretty excessive, the plum/pancake cream thing is amazing though so ALWAYS has to be ordered, someone will eat it

AND its my hen do - so I will spend as much of my money as I like before it becomes 'our' money wink
latest report
Nadenoodlee, Makes sense - dont forget the Gliabli cheeseburger, best one in town and at £12€ c/w a boat load of fries its a serious must-do!

Champions League St Anton cheeseburgers table.........

Griabli
Rodelhutte (always good)
Senn (dropped from last years #2, tad greasy this year)
Mooserwirt (not had this year but heard good things form a friends son who is an officianado)

Kandahar (Galzig downstairs) one looked pretty good also Clarky999, never seen anyone tackle a double-decker before!
snow report
Nadenoodlee, Laughing
Markymark29, I had (some of) a burger at the Kandahar last January - it was epic!
latest report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Markymark29, only going for 4 days, 2 possibly 3 of which I will be skiing,

OliviaDB, St A - home of the 18euro Jacket Potato wink that plus a vino at lunch, a round at the Mooserwirt and BAM £100.

€18 for lunch, plus wine, at what, €6 a glass? Throw in a coffee and a tip and lunch would be £30-ish? So you were buying £70 worth of beer at the Moos? I'm not doubting you, that's certainly possible... and also impressive Happy

It's not a cheap place, my last trip was for 4 nights and 4 days of skiing and we took it fairly easy on the beers (one night in the Underground hurt me enough the next day, and the snow was too good to have hangovers) I spent just under €650 not including the flight and train tickets - i.e. including accommodation (B&B at the skiers lodge - €55 per night and highly recommended), lift pass, lunch, dinner, beers. I know this is the exact amount because I'm reading my bank statement right now Sad

The cheapest accommodation I found in St Anton itself was self catering at Tom Dooley's in Nasserein. It was €170 per night for 4 people (i.e. €42.50 per person per night). B&Bs start at about €55-60.
snow report
sah, Agree entirely, I dont think prices in St Anton are that bad given the quality of the food and service.......like you I go pretty steady on the beers, skiing on a hangover is a no no for me, and none on the slopes at lunchtime, need my wits about me.....a sum total of 6 beers over Xmas, plenty of Gruener Veltliner though!
snow report
I thought St Anton was very reasonable when I went a couple of years ago. I was with my daughter so was pretty well behaved but SC, lunch somewhere on the mountain, 2 or 3 apres beers and an evening meal out didn't break the bank at all.
snow conditions
Markymark29, Claude B, yep. And it's cheaper than any major resort in Switzerland or France[*], that's for sure. Apart from Lech/Zuers it's probably the most expensive in Austria (just - Ischgl probably isn't far behind). You get what you pay for. In terms of value it's right up there - a good price/quality ratio I think.

If you want to ski there and not break the bank look at staying in St Jakob or Petneu. Much cheaper, easier to get weekend bookings but you'll need to get the bus in to town for skiing and nightlife (free during the day).

Just re-read OliviaDB's original post about somewhere clean... I have never found anywhere in Austria that wasn't absolutely spotless, so if you do find a cheap place I wouldn't worry about that aspect at all Happy

[*] I've only skied Chamonix and the Tarentaise areas in France, so not sure about places like L2A, maybe they are cheaper?
snow conditions
sah wrote:
If you want to ski there and not break the bank look at staying in St Jakob or Petneu. Much cheaper, easier to get weekend bookings but you'll need to get the bus in to town for skiing and nightlife (free during the day).

Or take one of the plentiful and relatively cheap taxis back to your much cheaper but slightly further out accommodation after hitting the bars in the evening Smile
latest report
sah wrote:
Markymark29, Claude B,
[*] I've only skied Chamonix and the Tarentaise areas in France, so not sure about places like L2A, maybe they are cheaper?

I ski in L2A a lot and I thought it was pretty much on a par.
latest report
Sideshow_Bob, you jest however we actually were planning to dress up as Eddie and Patsy at some point but now there are 2 6ft blondes so we may have to come up with something else.

sah, a round of standards (beer/ spritzer) and shots or strawpedos for 8 - never getting change from 70 euro, more likely coughing up more. Lunch - 30 euros is about right, morning choco-rum MIT cream £5euro - all adds up. I go on holiday with drinking machines - add in a 7euro 'Healthy Burger' from the place down by Bar Cuba at 2am as well Very Happy Everyone is on a 'pass' so kicks back and has a laugh, 6th year in a row with the same folk. We've done long weekends and whole weeks, the week nearly killed us all so we have gone back to a long weekend Very Happy

Markymark29, god bless you sir, cheeseburgers are my achillies heel....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy