Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on Helmet + Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie getting into skiing. Been looking at getting myself a Helmet and Goggles for Val Thorens in March.

I've reversed some stock which i am going to take a look at tomorrow. Could anyone give any advice or suggestions on the below equipment?

S2 ROSSIGNOL RG1 EXP 12 - £28.99
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/s2-rossignol-rg1-exp-12-id_8227577.html

ROSSIGNOL TOXIC BLACK 12 - £39.99
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rossignol-toxic-black-12-id_8227580.html

Many thanks,
-D
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nothing wrong with those, I know they are from the same manufacturer but make sure you try both on together, everyones face shape is not the same, you want to be comfortable.
I ended up getting a diff make of goggles as the supposedly compatible ones were not compatible at all on my face, I don't look like an extra from the bar scene on star wars so don't really understand why they didn't fit!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fine if the helmet fits, different helmets are different shapes just like different peoples heads so all you can do is try it on and see if it is comfotable. You might like to take a look at sunglasses as well for days when it isn't snowing and goggles are a bit warm. Decathlon will have some and there are a few cheap but good sets hanging around in branches of Aldi and Lidl
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your advice.

I'll make sure that the helmet fits and so do the goggles. They have a range of helmets so I may try them all all and see what fits best.

Other than helmet, would you recommend any other forms of protection for a newbie? I've seen people talk about wrist guards and spine protectors.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skiing you should be fine with those decent jacket and pants and a good pair of warm gloves, though if you back is delicate maybe worth a back protector. Wrist guards are more important for snowboarders who have more of a tendency to face plant and put their arms out to save them.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 28-12-12 20:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fantastic, I'm just keeping an eye out on eBay for any bargins on back protectors. I have no problems with my back, but if theres a cheap deal around I might purchase one.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Decrypt3d, starting out on skis doesn't need any more than a helmet, a spare pair of gloves 'cos you will fall over and your gloves will get soggy no matter how good they claim to be and reasonably waterproof trews cos again you may spend more time than you'd like sitting in snow. Good quality ski pants are better value than an expensive jacket when you're starting out. Other protection is for when you start being daft in the 'park' and trees.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And have a look in your nearest TK Maxx for a jacket some gloves and trews, so long as you don't mind it being last years model you will get some decent kit at a fraction of the price it'd be in a ski shop
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Already got myself a Dare2B Ski Jacket and fluorescent orange Salopettes, pretty happy with them!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey, Masque, you should get this.

http://www.tkmaxx.com/mens-ski-wear/mens-race-suit/invt/31114620/&bklist=icat,4,shop,17,3101

That'd fit nicely with your mono board.

wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheap goggles are well... cheap; you get what you pay for.
Made that mistake when I started out.

That said these ones at least have a double lens that looks a pretty good colour and tint, so you have a fighting chance of them working out ok, and if they don't you haven't lost much
As mentioned above, nothing worse than gaper gap to give you a nice frozen forehead, so make sore they fit well with the helmet
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pair of impact shorts would be an idea if you're the type who'd push it and end up sliding on their side after losing an edge. Some dirt cheap bargains to be had out there and motorbike stuff is always worth a look as its generally cheaper.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Decrypt3d, in my local Decathlon they only seem to have their own brand (Wedze) helmets and goggles, which were a poor fit on me. I actually ended up buying the Rossignol helmet you have listed above from a different retailer. I hadn't had a ski helmet before so nothing to compare it to, but it's far less obtrusive than I was dreading. Fits well and feels very light, so I hardly notice it's there. The only issue is that my head gets very hot on a hot day (it was 18º in Cervina back in February). I prefer to wear sunglasses to goggles, but that's just personal preference.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

I ended up buying the Helmet & Goggles as they were both felt lightweight and a great fit. I do have some sports sunglasses so I'll take them on my trip as backup.

Looking even more forward to hitting the slopes!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy