Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do I need to look for in sunglasses?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, im intending to go skiing next year and I need some sunglasses. What are the requirements I need for them and where the best place to buy them. I dont really want to spend the earth on them but I need them to do the job.

Thanks guys

Ski Noobie
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Philib, where are you going? When? If you want cheap and cheerful the 3 in 1 glasses from aldi or lidl are perfectly acceptable. If your going somewhere where it's going to be windy and really cold or have powder snow then get goggles. Worth checking out tkmaxx or decathlon.
I tend to take goggles with a yellow lens for fog/whiteout/night skiing and a pair of regular wrap around dark sunglasses for sunny days. If I had a bigger budget I would look into goggles with interchangeable lenses.
Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Philib, Full UV spectrum protection and as close fit as possible (as little light leakage top bottom and sides as possible) . . . style is down to you
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aldi/Lidl for good sunspecs cheap enough that it doesn't matter when they get lost/broken and look fine and way more expensive than they are, still some kicking around in my local branches from the offer a few weeks ago.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't suggest buying from here - they are generally more expensive than the TK Maxx/Lidl versions - but it gives a good guide on what to look out for in sizes value conditions and performance

http://www.vision3k.com/beginners-guide-to-buying-goggles.asp

And I don't want to start a helmet debate, but if you are buying goggles and a helmet you need to try them on together - all goggles don't necessarily fit all helmets
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys. All good advice. Will let you know what I decide on.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure where I will be going yet but I think it will probably be Italy in early Feb.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
codyaitch wrote:
I wouldn't suggest buying from here - they are generally more expensive than the TK Maxx/Lidl versions - but it gives a good guide on what to look out for in sizes value conditions and performance

http://www.vision3k.com/beginners-guide-to-buying-goggles.asp

I just has a very quick look at the linked site and.....

They say
Spherical lenses offer a greater degree of peripheral vision on both the vertical and horizontal. This enhances the ride for both skiers and boarders as they need only move their eyes to get optimal vision as opposed to having to move their head from side to side.
But
This is just rubbish – the shape of the lens has no effect what-so-ever on peripheral vision (either lack or increase).

They say
Mirrored lenses aid the reduction of UV glare advancing the UV protection offered by the lens.

But
This is just rubbish – the writer obviously doesn’t understand how goggles work at the very basic level

They say
if you are planning to participate in some mountaineering on your winter holiday, it is recommended that you do not use polarised lenses as these will distort the view of your surroundings
But
This is also garbage – like most of the rest of the page that seems to have been cobbled together by copying stuff from other websites without any knowledge of the subject.

I would be VERY suspicious of buying anything from a company that doesn’t understand what they are selling

And the worst example is this rubbish
Most children's ski goggles are supplied with orange lenses for low light conditions or in flat light (i.e. overcast weather). If your child is going to be using their ski goggle throughout the day it may be worth looking at the Bolle ski goggles collection, some of which offer category 3 lenses for brighter weather conditions. Alternatively, it may be more suitable to buy a pair of ski goggles suitable for low light and then a pair of sunglasses for brighter conditions. The sunglasses can then be worn throughout the year making them more cost effective.

If they write this sort of stuff do you really want your kids to be wearing anything they recommend.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OP the word Vuarnet on the side
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Philib, RayBan or Persol sunglasses with a G15 lens, the green one. Luxottica the company that makes both RayBan and Persol makes excellent lenses and IMHO the G15 Green is superb in bright light and snow giving a "real" vision. In flat light and snow the G15 can be a tad too dark and may not reveal depth in snow/piste. Use amber lens goggles. Simples! snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sunglasses - good in perfect weather.. high speed useless because the wind will make your eyes water...slightest sign of snow they will steam up...

i used to think that i would want to wear sunnies but to be honest they are a pfaff..goggles all the way but make sure you have a couple of lenses to match the conditions that you are skiing in...

by the way i used to think that sunnies were cool,, same as letting the sun get to my bald head on a blue bird day rolling eyes goggles and a lid every day now... negative temps at any speed will make your eyes water unless they are wrap around glasses that close any wind to the eyes..do they then become goggles... Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All you need to look for is a CE mark:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunglasses#Standards_for_sunglasses
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wayne, what's so ridiculous about their advice regarding kids and goggles then?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cynic wrote:
OP the word Vuarnet on the side

This

You can get them from here - www.eyeshop.com
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard wrote:
Wayne, what's so ridiculous about their advice regarding kids and goggles then?

That's about the only bit that made sense.

Sunglasses can be used in the summer. Goggles for use in low-light, as low-light conditions are also when it's most likely you'll want to wear goggles as it includes occasions when it's snowing or white-out when glasses aren't much use. It did me fine as a kid
snow report
I bought two sets of cycling glasses with interchangeable lenses. I carry the spare lenses and change when I need to. Since they were designed for high wind speeds they work very well at deflecting wind on the slopes. £24.95 for a really protective foam case, four sets of lenses with lightweight wraparound bridge/arms, a soft pouch/cleaner and a neck loop. They are also non-shatter/eye armour as well.

Best eye protection I ever bought.

There was a discussion on here a while back where the same topic was raised and someone mentioned that you can get the googles the army are issued which have interchangeable lenses and pop-venting. The lenses come with really great protective cases. You can get them on e-bay direct from the manufacturer (keep on forgetting their name) at very reasonable prices. Hopefully someone will remember the name ......
snow report
ESS Advancer or ICE:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2093192
ski holidays
Style dood
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy