Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daughters second season blog and life in Tignes not skiing after doing ACL

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter went out to Tignes for her second season, having spent most of the autumn getting ready for it!

You've never seen so much online retail action, though she also bought some skis from an actual shop as well!

She was returning to Tignes and was teamed up with some of her friends from last year. She's also signed up to do a blog for a ski website, all was going so well, we even booked a punters week to go out second week of January to see and ski with her, and I was sorting out a guide for a day.....

Then we had the phone call Xmas eve, she was in the park and landed a jump, looked back to see her friend land it, and then must have crossed her skis or something......net result one hell of a pop and like her father has done her ACL Sad

So rather than come back home, or be sent home, she's fighting through the pain and went back to work yesterday (maybe too early) as I said my middle of next week knee will not be too bad. Then once everyone's back from the "break" we can start working out a plan as to MRI, potential ops etc etc also helps that I've done the website(s) for one of the top knee surgeons in the country http://www.mrjameslewis.co.uk/ and he knows a thing or two about ACL's http://www.anteriorcruciateligament.co.uk/.

In the meantime she can continue with her blog, which, and I would say this being her father is rather well written along with photos of blood wagons and the like!

First Blog here http://www.stylemountain.com/the-second-season-begins

And the ACL incident along with pics of bloodwagons and the like http://www.stylemountain.com/nightmare-before-christmas

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 22-03-13 8:00; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam, By eck, Daddy's little blond nightmare . . . I'd put 'er out for adoption rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam, your poor daughter Sad hope she makes a good recovery. Nice blog though!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd give the "top knee surgeon in the country" website a C minus, good effort tho. some rendrring issue's with chrome and the like.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Charliebigpotatoes, seeing your location, how about this one for my mate who is a guide and lives above LG - still have a few tweaks to do http://www.peras.se/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My knees hurt just reading this...!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Takes a long time to load.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam, nightmare! Life's a right bitch at times...hope she gets to complete the season, not quite the same but better in the mountains with her buddies than here I guess, hope for a positive outcome.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ooer, poor thing, but at least she's still smiling - hope all turns out okay Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weatherspam, as emwmarine says, very slow to load D+, obv. I'd get that photoshop for beginners book out of the librery and learn to compres your images a bit more, then again Im not a pro website designer, unlke yourslef
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hope she recovers OK and isn't doing more damage trying to get back to work.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ouch
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hope she recovers ok from this but as you know it will take many months

Do you mind me asking what she does between winter seasons? While it is to be admired she wants to work on with a bust knee it does strike like perspective is missing here. I don't see how fighting thru the pain could be advisable under any circumstance.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
patricksh, she probably doesnt want to go home so early on in the season (TO preferred option) so is battling on.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam,I do hope she recovers, I wonder if her employer will send her home though, surely they are liable for any further damage at work etc. ?
ski holidays
Weathercam, when I was 21 I gave my right knee rather good wack (google compound patella fracture) a little more extreme than an ACL, but the ultimate point is the same.

At the the time it got wired back together, healed and all was good. Fast foward to the 37 year old me last year and it was buggered. Had a bit of keyhole and a scrub inside, and that was that. Except it wasn't - it's wearing out at an advanced rate (with bonus arthritis!) basically, the young version of me thought onwards and upwards, the old version of me now knows I should have rested.
ski holidays
andrew e, salutary post!
ski holidays
andrew e, add another 20 odd years to that and things really start to ache, rub, inflame, take forevaaaa to heal and just generally feel boogered . . . other than that I'm in top notch fettle Little Angel
latest report
She's still in a state of flux as it were, much the same way as I was 20 or so months ago when I did mine.

And as she's my daughter she's naturally listening to all the advice from various people who know nothing about ACLs and ignoring her old man Smile

We're waiting for all the right people to be back in the office before trying to work out best strategy.

Once you do your ACL within a couple of weeks you can be back to normal (apart from skiing), hence why should she come home, especially when we are going out to see her Jan 12th.

So we have to find out if she can have, and insurance will pay for an MRI in France, if not I make an appt at Vista in London and she flys back for a couple of days end of the month. I will also speak to my surgeon friend and see if he can get get her on the NHS Op list based on the MRI but without seeing her, so she could come back at the end of the season and have the op, but first I have to drum it into her that she's needs to do some prehab!

She's pretty down at the moment, stiff upper lip to everyone else but in floods of tears when on the phone to home, though that was based on every one going out skiing yesterday and leaving her!

For the record, my knee is still not right, not so much the ACL, but I can feel the ham string graft all the time and the outside of my knee which could be a ligament or ITB, that said I'm cycling, doing Bikram and have been kiting the last four days in nigh on gale force winds and very big seas, the equivalent of full on powder days, and at 54 I can't complain, though do worry about skiing, but will have my brace again, I know I'm fine in powder it's just the heavy crud that I had problems with in March / April Sad

Have a good one everyone !
ski holidays
Weathercam, I obviously stayed out for the season in France after doing my ACL. I seem to remember cockofthenorth posting on the forum that his wife got an MRI for her knee in Albertville for 60 or so euros using the EHIC. I paid more like 160 in Annecy but then got the difference reimbursed later using EHIC. As she injured herself in France and did not travel there to get treatment, her EHIC should help her out if her UK insurance won't... even without any EHIC or insurance cover, the physio sessions here are €15 a go. I wish her all the best!
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

She's pretty down at the moment, stiff upper lip to everyone else but in floods of tears when on the phone to home, though that was based on every one going out skiing yesterday and leaving her!

poor thing Sad That's a terrible feeling. I remember bashing my knee badly in a fall a few years ago in Lech. I thought I'd damaged the ligaments but in fact it was just a bruise, but limping round the village getting knowing / pitiful looks was unbearable.

After a day of that I changed my flights and got out of there and back in the UK I soon got a better perspective on things...
snow report
I still don't understand why she didn't come home asap, have mri and seen surgeon by now, get on with something productive and applicable to day job (I assume she has career plans outside of skiing), as opposed to being miserable crying home on phone putting up stiff upper lip for whose benefit?

By the way any advice she may be getting that she will be back to normal within couple of weeks of operation, and carrying limping on it in the cold and snow and up and down stairs is not going to impair longterm outcome, needs to be very guarded. I think fair ro say few people are every truly back to normal
ski holidays
patricksh, I agree, I dont see the need to turn a short turn injury into a long term problem for £65 a week.
I have know people to go home injured at the start of the season only to come back once repaired for the final month. TO's always need guys to fill in for a few weeks and will be very happy to have someone back who they had already trained.
latest report
I was under the impression most surgeons won't do anything until swelling has gone down or mobility prehab etc.is back to a certain level? So might not be worth rushing home anyway...could be wrong here? Puzzled
snow conditions
gatecrasher, certainly that was the case with me I needed to get the swelling down and full range of movement back before they would operate when I ruputered my ACL.
ski holidays
patricksh, perhaps she doesnt have a career plan just yet - she is only young, if she is on season 2 she's probably had a summer job to get from one winter to the next - plenty of people do.
latest report
Fabulous post weathercam & I admire your daughter for getting on with it, I only wish our daughter aged 18 [deferred uni until next year] had had the courage to go, she has been ski-ing for twelve years & loves it, can only think that she's scared of leaving home...how I wish she would take the plunge & move to the Alps for a season. As it is she is coming with mum & dad @ 1/2 term I still hope she may go there on her own.

So I would say to your daughter great on your CV, fabulous life experience, awesome social life how good does it get?

Take each day as it comes & live life to the full, it;s probable that befor etoo long you will end up in a 9-5 mundane job paying taxes & dreaming of the hill! Razz
ski holidays
michaelbury17, 'youth is wasted on the young' as GBS said when trying to get HIS daughter to do a season
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am i right in thinking she hasnt been fully diagnosed with a full rupture?
I did my knee for the second time in the summer. Didnt go to hospital as i knew there was nothing they could do until the swelling subsided.
Gradually after a few months it all settled down and although i have some lasting problems it is mainly okay (we will see properly next week with my first ski)

So initially it may seem like the end of her season but fingers crossed it might be not as bad as it would first appear.
snow report
Reading those pages has made me think i should get a brace for next week.
snow conditions
what a shame. She seems like a great girl though Weathercam.
latest report
I'm not sure which one she is, but just to be sure I'll pump them all when I go out in a couple of weeks. Plus, with the dodgy leg she won't be able to run away.
snow conditions
andersont, careful you might be out there the same week as me Twisted Evil

Latest strategy, and thanks Miranda for the heads up, as she's a worker and living in France get MRI in France with E 111 and then maybe try and push for an op in France at end of season when hopefully we'll be in Serre and we go and get her and she rehabs in Serre, wait to find out, though we're out there soon as the above poster should watch out Toofy Grin
latest report
Weathercam, ha, abuse taken well! That's pretty poo-poo though, I always wish I'd done a season and crocking yourself this in is pretty poo-poo.
latest report
Weathercam, wish I had had a Dad like you
ski holidays
patricksh wrote:
Weathercam, wish I had had a Dad like you

Ditto. Good luck to your daughter Weathercam.
ski holidays
Weathercam, adopt me Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel

It's all gone quiet at her end . .
ski holidays
Weathercam, As matter of interest, if your daughter WANTED to come home, how would you have taken that?
latest report
patricksh, locks changed?
snow report
Weathercam, feel free to PM if I can be of any help, having just been through the whole process using EHIC and Carte Neige.

patricksh, you're being a bit weird in this thread - if her knee is immobilised in a brace, she can do whatever she feels comfortable doing without further jeopardising things, so not sure why her desire to stay in France is being seen as either a terrible or brilliant idea, nor why Weathercam's parenting is being commented on Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy