Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Frozen toes

Poster: A snowHead
Had my boots fitted 3 years ago and always had a little trouble with them, not blaming the fitter who is on here as I contacted him and he said come back in for a tweak, but then I moved to amsterdam and it seemed a long way to go Wink
This year though after a few hours my toes go white and are ice cold to touch. I started running regularly this summer and wander if this may have change the shape of my feet enough make this happen. Is there anything I can do in the short term to get the blood back to my toes so I dont have to stop, warm up and miss so much of the day?
Or is three years the expected life of a liner (2-3weeks each season)? I don't think I could fit double socks or anything, thinking of trying those silk linner things if I can find them.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
charliwest, sounds, without being of the medical profession, that you may have developed Reynaud's. The white colour is a giveaway.

Do your hands do the same?

Consider heated boot liners. - Therm-ic, Conformable, and another brand I can't recall.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dont do the boots up so tight across the top of the foot. You are cutting down the blood flow to your toes and hence the heat flow. Wear thinner socks as these will allow a bigger air gap and be warmer

Make sure the boots are completely dry each night and warm in the morning (ie buy a set of the blue slip in boot heaters, and take the liners out each night to dry)

Make sure you can wiggle your toes in the boots and concentrate on doing this each time you're sitting on the lift

If its Reynaulds you will also have problems with cold hands and fingers as well, they go a lovely shade of yellow then white at the strangest of times. My wife is a extreme case and gets it even in Spain in Summer

Keep your core warm so your body doesnt need to shut down the blood flow to the extremities

Ski faster so you generate more heat!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the ideas, I did also loose a fair bit of weight this year so am certainly feeling the cold more, but my fingers are not going pale.

I'm not sure I could get much thinner socks but will look out, and the buckles on the top of my feet are never done up. I will keep up the wiggling as well Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
charliwest, have you tried boot gloves. Worked for me
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oops

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 29-12-12 14:36; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tried nothing yet, only my second day this season and jumped here for advice straight away, will look them up, thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you smoke, give up.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If your liners are wet near the toes you may have a leak on your boot, gaffer tape over the flap works for me. Otherwise what's been said above, don't over tighten, boot heaters, get the boots warm and dry every night etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
charliwest wrote:

This year though after a few hours my toes go white and are ice cold to touch. I started running regularly this summer and wander if this may have change the shape of my feet enough make this happen.

not sure it would have changed the shape of your feet, but if you are running then by the nature of the sport you are building calf muscle..... if you do not stretch this calf muscle out the it can limit your flexion at the ankle and cause you to overload the ball of the foot when skiing which will cause the lack of blood flow to the toes and cause the white cold sensation

fix 1 makes sure the calf muscle is stretched out properly after every run and more (3 x daily) before you go skiing
fix 2 add a small lift underrate the heel to try and get some weight distribution over the whole foot and prevent overloading the ball of the the foot
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Or is three years the expected life of a liner (2-3weeks each season)?

I would expect the opposite effect, my boots are ~14 years old with ~45 weeks use and they just fit better with age, dreading the day I am forced to replace them.
As with other replies, don't overtighten any of the buckles, being too tight around the ankle can cut bloodflow as much as around the calf.
Loosen/unclip the toe buckles on lifts (before you get on!!!)
Always wear dark ski boots, It's only a small gain but the heat of the sun on dark surfaces will help a little.
Old and worn ski socks are the best as the pressure areas have worn thin.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the ideas, CEM, will try the stretching. I'm back now and my next days are not till Feb now. But something odd is happening, 3 short days skiing and both my big toes are black under the nails! Could that just be from the calf muscle change you suggest?
I used a hair drier in the end to warm the top and loosened the pressure a little, I have done this a couple of times, I assume though as I am not heating very high when in storage they are going back into their normal shape? I think in the US I will have to find someone like you CEM, to take a proper look, unless I am back in the UK some time before and can find the time to pop up to your shop, unless you fancy a trip to Amsterdam Very Happy with all your equipment, there is a couch with your name on it if you want!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
charliwest,

If your toenails are black I thing you got a frostbite. This is serious and you need to get this right for next time as I beleive you are now more susceptible.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gryphea wrote:
charliwest,

If your toenails are black I thing you got a frostbite.

Or bruises. I've had black toenails before, that subsequently fell off. It was just from slamming them into the end of my boots all day long when trying to do a few park tricks (with limited success).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
charliwest, the black toenails could be just the end of your toe hitting the end of your boot. If your toes are numb, you won't feel the damage you are doing. Or it could be something else.

If you are getting cold feet, the easiest, cheapest and quickest solution might be some boot gloves - a neoprene cover for the boot that keeps the snow out, as well as insulating the boot a bit more, the difference in temp when we tested it was fairly dramatic for a cheap solution (£30 max, you can fairly easily make your own out of an old wetsuit). Of course, if it is because you are cutting off the circulation then this isn't going to work.
ski holidays
I don't think it is frostbite, it is really just below the nail no other flesh, I think bruising is all.
latest report
charliwest, I've had it before.. surprised you're not in pain! If you are, you can get these silicon bandages for it which will stop them hurting. Also, expect them to fall off in a few months.
snow conditions
Timmaah, pain would be a strong word for it, I am aware of it, but doesnt hurt unless I stub them a bit. I am going running tonight so maybe that will change.....

The black only actually grew through from last year just before Dec, I put the bruising last year down to 2 weeks skiing everyday.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy