Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryan Air are a shower of bar stewards....

Poster: A snowHead
This is just way too much. Hassling me at 5am cos i have packed too many socks but this type of behaviour is just disgraceful and everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves.......the tone of the Ryan Air spokesman makes me want to smack them, its low, EVEN for them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9742364/Sick-children-told-to-repack-bags-on-Ryanair-flight.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only thing that hits O'Leary is money, simple answer is don't fly Ryanair. I'll happily pay extra elsewhere not to use them, I don't even consider them an option if travelling.

He'd soon change his ideas if people didn't use them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman wrote:
He'd soon change his ideas if people didn't use them.
But "people" do use them - they're the only show in town for many of us..........

He'll change nothing - he laughs in your face (and takes your money)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The deal is 10kg. More than that and you pay excess charges or rearrange your luggage. So what?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I loathe Ryanair but never say never as I fly to Dublin regularly (with Aer Lingus as a general rule of choice).

On this occasion though, the passengers were over the limit by some way it seems, one child was 6kg over, so parents can take some responsibility don't you think?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ill people should be allowed to do anything they want, in contravention of all rules, especially children.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't really get this either... the rules are very clear, you get to read them when you book and before departure.
^+1
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There should be no rules for children,................. nor for anyone related to them!

BTW........................ Ryanair, ........why use them? Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
flangesax wrote:
I don't really get this either... the rules are very clear, you get to read them when you book and before departure.
^+1

Except reading the article the flights were awarded to the children as part of the courage award thing, so were not booked directly by the families. It sounds like it could of been a communications mix up and the families were not informed of the baggage limit? I have to say I have not heard of anything less than 15kg allowance before.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickyJ wrote:
flangesax wrote:
^+1

I have to say I have not heard of anything less than 15kg allowance before.

Hand luggage 10kg, checked baggage 15kg. It's made abundantly clear - I challenge anyone to fly RA and not know - I can only assume some people can't read or just assume the rules won't be enforced (which they all do - not just RA).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah I see however my point is the parents didn't make the bookings so it may not have been made clear to them. They also may not be regular fliers especially with a sick child presumebly we are talking long term sick here that has a huge impact on your family life.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I still think people should be weighed with their luggage and pay according to their combined weight
Now then no more mince pies for me
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You know what you're gonna get with RA, cattle treatment. If you're cool with that, go fly with them. Madeye-Smiley I refused to fly with them 15yrs ago and stuckwith it. Flybe are my local outfit and are excellent. I've also found EJ very good over the years.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ wrote:
Ah I see however my point is the parents didn't make the bookings so it may not have been made clear to them.

Then it should have been made clear to them by the organisers. The only reason in my view that RA could be to blame is if they gave the fligths away and reneged on some "baggage award".
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It isn't as though Ryanair make any secret of the rules and the charges if you don't follow them. Not difficult to check (and probably just common sense to do so whatever airline you are flying with) what the rules are even if you didn't do the booking yourself.
ski holidays
I've had pretty reasonable experiences flying with Ryanair.
snow report
laundryman wrote:
I've had pretty reasonable experiences flying with Ryanair.

Me too. Two or three times a month to and from Dublin from an airport half an hour from home. If i refused to fly with them on principle i'd have to drive 90 minutes each way to fly aer lingus, who are no different (slightly grumpier cabin crew in my experience).

We struggled a bit to get our hold bags under 15kg when we went on holiday last year, but we were absolutely aware of the rules. And they flew 4 of us to and from the south of france for £500 including all charges in the summer holidays.

I do think that people who don't live in the wilds of Yorkshire and other places outside the south east sometimes forget it's not as easy as "just" flying BA or Swiss. We ain't got no flights!
snow conditions
andy from embsay, yep, my last flight with them was Dublin to Newcastle. I don't think there were any other options.
snow report
As oofaafuu says I would happily pay more to not fly Ryanair!

Saying that I also have little sympathy for people who choose to fly with budget airlines and then turn up at the airport with oversize / overweight bags? The likes of easy jet and Ryan air do make it perfectly clear when you're booking what the restrictions are?

Going back to the OP it does seam overly harsh given the unique circumstances, but for every case like this I bet there are 50 where people are just too ignorant or thick to check what they have booked before turning up at the airport!
snow conditions
rjb wrote:

Saying that I also have little sympathy for people are just too ignorant or thick.............!

Perfect! Laughing
latest report
I don't have a problem with Ryanair for short breaks, hand luggage only. But when you factor in the cost of luggage and especially skis, they are not a cheap airline. Their niche market seems to be weekend breaks, hand luggage only, if you play by their rules and don't expect any special favours.
snow report
skimastaaah wrote:
BTW........................ Ryanair, ........why use them? Puzzled
Because they fly from where you want to go from to where you want to go to, and no one else does ?

Blah, blah, blah...
Here we go again. There are no hidden charges, no secret limits. I've never had a problem with them.
Ok in this case probably not great at the time for those involved but it's mainly a public interest story for a bit of copy involving the airline its trendy to hate.
I did have a very average flight for what I paid with BA last year though. Then again, it started and finished in the right places.
snow report
Misleading article title. Looks like they repackaged at checkin, not on the flight. I'm sure this took about 10 minutes to sort out.
snow conditions
Pretty surprised by the reactions by some on here but it is a forum and it's interesting to note the reaction of others; a little sympathy dotted around a general malaise with a school masterly reaction "So what if it's sick children, they were aware of the rules".

Maybe I am too sensitive but I still find it hard to stomach - and having a very quick quick browse of their (the foundation in charge of the trip) website it's clear these kids didn't just have a cold......and I would expect anyone with a little decency to show a little discretion owing to the circumstances - they are rules, not laws so they can be bent or waived if necessary but they weren't, even for children awarded a trip to give them and their loved ones some respite from their terminal illnesses.

The general feeling seems to be that rules must be observed even in the most difficult circumstances and anyone who fails to stick to the rules get no sympathy from the majority of posters on here, including a chalet operator in Austria.......I wonder if that understanding of the importance of operating within the rules stretches to reviews on travel websites? If the review sticks to the terms and conditions of the forum then where's the problem? Even if it is misleading and or malicious, the review stuck to the rules so there is no issue.

I still hate Ryan Air and think their behaviour is reprehensible on this, and many other occasions. And their seats are slidey.
snow conditions
I'm no Ryaniar fan but sometimes, they are the only airline that fly to where I want to go (e.g. to the city in Spain where Mrs. Kersh's parents live). However when I book with them, I know exactly what I'm getting. I fly with 2 kids and I know the rules about luggage and just stick to them so I don't pay the extras more. Take my own food, buy nothing on board, forget the priority que, etc. etc.

Buying flights with different airlines is like buying a car. You want economy, buy a cheap car and fly Ryanair ..... you want luxury, buy an expensive car and fly BA. You know what you'll get with both. This year, i'm using Lufthansa to travel to the Alps because they were by far the cheapest. Worth bearing in mind to check prices with the big carriers as the low cost airlines aren't always the cheapest.

Cheers
Kersh
latest report
davidhammy wrote:

Maybe I am too sensitive but I still find it hard to stomach - and having a very quick quick browse of their (the foundation in charge of the trip) website it's clear these kids didn't just have a cold......and I would expect anyone with a little decency to show a little discretion owing to the circumstances - they are rules, not laws so they can be bent or waived if necessary but they weren't, even for children awarded a trip to give them and their loved ones some respite from their terminal illnesses.

Ryanair didn't 'award' the flights thought did they. They sold the flights under a set of T&Cs.

I don't think the T&Cs say 'we agree to waive these T&Cs if you've got cancer'.

It reminds me of the stand up comic telling a crap gag to a silent audience and then going 'my mum died yesterday' or 'hey, come on guys, I've got AIDS' or whatever to try and rescue the laugh. You can't just go around giving free stuff to every sob story.

I might try 'I've got ebola' on my next flight, see if I can wangle a free bag of nuts.
snow conditions
I've got no problem flying with RA. Use them all the time for business. Take a rucksack with change of clothes. No issues. I can't imagine anyone not bothering to check weight allowances for any airline. It's just common sense to check what you can carry for any airline before you fly.
Yeah it sucks that the children got a rough deal. Would have been nice just to let it slide but if you bend the rules for one group, where do you stop.
latest report
OP Stop using Ryanair then, the only way to make him change, I never use them now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidhammy wrote:

And every extra kg on board changes the fuel requirements, the reason you can't take as much as you like on a plane is that if everyone does it'd not get off the ground (or if it did not get where it was going). Rules are there for a reason!
snow report
Most of RA's rules are purely designed to make them more money!
snow report
Claude B wrote:
Most of RA's rules are purely designed to make them more money!

Yep.
snow conditions
It only costs a few pounds more on Ryanair to book a 20kg bag, rather than a 15kg bag. You are offered the choice when you book.

The silly thing in this case is that it was rectified by shifting items from bag to bag - so the amount Ryanair carried was unchanged. They could have just said "OK we'll just say you moved it" and nobody would have been put out.

I do use Ryanair if they are the only company with a flight where and when I want it. Which is regularly the case. I'm not going to cause myself problems just because of some disagreement with some aspects of their policy. You take the package or you don't.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 29-12-12 15:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I won't use them for business or personal use even if it sometimes makes it difficult.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 29-12-12 22:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
davkt wrote:
And every extra kg on board changes the fuel requirements, the reason you can't take as much as you like on a plane is that if everyone does it'd not get off the ground (or if it did not get where it was going). Rules are there for a reason!

But how can every kg of luggage count when an airline has no idea of the combined weight of the passengers? 100 passengers will have a far higher combined weight than their luggage allowance and therefore a greater +/- variance.

Obviously you can't take as much as you like but talking about every extra kilo is a bit much. And even if one case was 6kgs over it belonged to a child who, including those 6kgs, would weigh far less than an adult.
ski holidays
grazzenger,

Yep, you're correct. The Ltrs of fuel per kg of luggage argument is bollox. If it were that finely calculated, every RA flight would fall out of the sky the minute that it encountered a head wind or were put into a holding pattern. rolling eyes

As a previous poster mention, of course it's all about the EURO. wink

RA cleverly put financial traps,limits and hurdles in place to 'catch' the unwary traveller and to ratchet up the advertised price. Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 29-12-12 16:13; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Ryanair "not a charity" reveals damning new report.
snow report
Mr Piehole, Yeah, but if they were smart enough to shaft passengers with a smile rather than with a middle finger, this thread might not exist. Let's face it, MOL wears the c*** tag with pride.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 29-12-12 16:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
"Sick children told to repack bags on Ryanair flight". A misleading headline. One child's family were made aware that that their carry on luggage was substantially overweight. Other families in their group helped them out. Where's the story?

ski holidays
It does seem stupid that Ryanair (along with other no-frill operators) do not allow luggage pooling. And from the experience I have gathered at airports it seems that this is always what causes the most frustration between groups and customers.
IMO it does make sense to allow a combined weight of stowed and hand luggage under the bracket of a single booking reference. There is probably a lot more to this due to where the weight is stored on the aircraft which impacts fuel costs etc.. etc.. (in regards to stowed and carry-on )

davidhammy,

I'll take a punt that your comment was directed in my direction.... wink
FYI online reviews are completely out of operators hands and are exactly as you have stated (apart from those on my personal site which I can delete... but never had to!).
Trip advisor - just sign up... say you stayed there and write whatever codswallup you like... if it is within the sites (not my) T&C's then there is nothing I can do about it.
Same with booking.com and all other channels. Only one site I use allows a right-to-reply where you can comment on a review that has been given. They can bare absolutely no factual relevence to what a customer has actually experienced.

Oh... and as analogies go... I'm not entirely sure how that is in any way relevent to this issue or the OP... but hey-ho! Very Happy
ski holidays
davidhammy, you presume that other Ryanair customers don't have special needs/life threatening illnesses?

Based on my own experiences of Ryanair and those of my best friend who has two young children with special needs, I would not have chosen to fly with them with special needs children in the first place Confused

And what this has to do with an Austrian chalet owner beats me Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy