Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gopro - helmet mounting

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Just about to buy a Gopro Hero 3 - have one question though. What do you use to fit the camera to a ski helmet? Is this a standard mount that comes with the camera, or do I require a special mount?
Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The sticky mounts come with the camera. Work out what position gives the best view beforehand and using less connecting pieces will give a more solid mount.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had a couple of thoughts regarding using a sticky mount - what risk is there of the sticky bit coming adrift and also the mount is then permanently fitted to the helmet?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use the GoPro vented helmet mount, which straps through the holes in the helmet. It's really secure and has survived both numerous falls and getting clattered by chair lift bars. It has the added benefit that it can easily be transferred to someone else's vented helmet.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gopro has a special side mount available. You can buy it as a specific kit or get the same bits and more in the grab bag.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gopro has a special side mount available. You can buy it as a specific kit or get the same bits and more in the grab bag.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pjckt, you can use a bit of cord to tie the GoPro to the helmet or something else to prevent losing it. The sticky bit is permanent but the rest of the mounting bits clip in and out of it. I use a bit of duct tape over the sticky mount to make the fit extra snug. The sticky bit won't come off unless you wack it hard if you put it on right. Make sure you have a clean surface and that it is relatively even.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pjckt,

the adhesive mounts are pretty safe if used properly, but i would usually suggest using an additional tether to secure the camera. It is a bit of pain, but much better than losing 3-400 quid of camera and footage.

There are options for helmet mounts (side and front) happy to give you some options either on this thread or via pm.

regards

Andy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do people have front or side mounted Camera's ? (most common and reason)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the most common mounting is either top or front of the helmet. The top mount gives a good and stable view either forward or rearward pointin. The front mount gives the option to mount pointing down or even reverse mounted looking at the person recording.

Side mounted are less used but for no real reason other than the front or central mounting is favoured. The side mount can provide sme pretty good footage.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just been looking at the Contour 2 as well - is the Gopro a better & more flexible bit of kit?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Latest Contour cameras approach/equal the image quality of the GoPro3 Silver and HD2 but aren't as good as the GoPro3 Black. They're a bit slimmer as well so can be a bit less noticeable if that bothers you.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't overlook the Sony or Drift options either - here's a good comparison video

http://youtube.com/v/Ewp9kQoQ1Ng

I have an older model Drift and find it really easy to use, with great picture quality. The remote with big buttons makes starting and stopping recording much easier, and the built in LCD screen saves a lot of wasted footage from misaligned shots and lets you review footage on lifts etc. The Drift, Contour and Sony also sit more neatly on your helmet than a Go Pro.

The Go Pro undoubtedly has it's advantages, but just because it's the most well known don't assume its the best. The TGR film guys use Contour cameras for their POV shots and their footage is amazing.

Judge the picture quality for yourself from that video above.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pjckt, The very new Contour has better vid, and an external mic input, than the Gopro2 . . . hence the Gopro3 . . . but both give you great results. Circular polarizing filter adds to that. The new contour has a bluetooth module that lets you use your smartphone as a remote control and viewscreen . . . mega convenient.
snow report
I think very few people will argue that the latest gopro HD3 black gives the best in terms of image quality, but at a price. Your choice of camera comes down to money vs features vs form factor vs mounting options.
snow report
element, actually TGR are using both (Further is sponsored by Contour, The Dream Factory by GoPro). The Freeride World Tour switched to GoPros for this year as well. How much of that is down to sponsorship money versus quality is of course up for debate. GoPros with the ProTune mode far outstrip the competition in what you'd want for "pro" use which isn't a good point of comparison for you and me (well me 'cause I don't know you). Smile

pjckt, wack the video up to 1080p and fullscreen it otherwise you won't really see the differences.
snow conditions
Quote:

pjckt, wack the video up to 1080p and fullscreen it otherwise you won't really see the differences.

meh, makes a good point, most people don't actually watch these at full quality and if you're not going to look at them in full 1080p you may ask yourself why get one... You're not just paying for the pixels you're paying for the quality of the sensor and the quality of the translation of the data into video. To requote an old phrase.

You can't polish a turd......... Or as I like to say

You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd.

If you're basic image capture is blown out has other exposure to capture issues there is only so much you can do to recover it post capture.
snow report
meh, Sony is impressive apart from a sensitive mic.
ski holidays
Masque, yer they're all good enough for making videos with for your average person as far as I'm concerned. The problem is the longer you spend fiddling with it and editing the more you'll notice the downsides to a particular camera. The Black GoPro3 is definitely at the enthusiast/pro end of the spectrum. I'd liken them to point-and-shoot stills cameras where you have a cheap end and a high end. At the cheap end nearly everything is automatic and you don't get many options and at the high end you start to end up with a single lens mini-DSLR. That's sort of the difference between the cameras.

Personally I'd recommend people to get an HD2 second-hand and install the ProTune firmware on it. It's as good as anything the competition has plus gives you a bit of reach in quality with the ProTune mode if you want to invest a small amount more time on running things through the GoPro software to get the colours out of the log colour space.
snow report
I'm waiting to see how skimaaaastah does with his OEM Delkin though.
snow conditions
The sony is pretty impressive and specs up well against the competition.

Any back on topic.

helmet mounting options.

You can use the adhesive mounts, either mounted on top, at the front, back or on the side. You can also use the vented helmet or headstrap mount. It all comes down to what you want to capture. Also remember that whilst not heavy mounting on the front or side will add off centre weight to the head, whereas mounting centrally on the top of the helmet this weight will be less noticable.
snow report
I used the side mount this past week in Samoens. Did not really notice the weight and preferred this option rather than risk knocking the camera off of the top of my helmet with the chair lift safety bar. Not really viewed the video that much other than to establish the best mounting angle but reckon that you need to have the lens at least horizontal or slightly up to frame the image centrally, but then that would depend on what you are trying to film I suppose.

I tethered the mount to the "ear" strap of my helmet so if it did come off I'd get a clout in the ear.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 29-12-12 21:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I've just got a Countour +2 and a K2 helmet - never had either a camera nor a helmet before. I've tried positioning the camera on its mouting on the side of the hat, but its field of view is so wide I can't seem to find a position that doesn't have a bit of helmet (fnarr) in the side of the shot.

I can change it to 1080P which reduces the view from 170 to 125 and seems better, but other than having it stuck right on top what do people do to avoid this?
snow conditions
I used the side mount this past week in Samoens. Did not really notice the weight and preferred this option rather than risk knocking the camera off of the top of my helmet with the chair lift safety bar. Not really viewed the video that much other than to establish the best mounting angle but reckon that you need to have the lens at least horizontal or slightly up to frame the image centrally, but then that would depend on what you are trying to film I suppose.
snow conditions
andy from embsay, you can't really. Mounting it as far forward as possible, or on top is the only thing that will reduce the helmet view/work.
latest report
Thanks meh, i think the answer is to use 1080p which narrows it a bit.
latest report
Basil, you mean like this....
http://youtube.com/v/8fNSuIUNtOI
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ansta1, Ha ha, summat like that.
snow report
ansta1, Ha ha, summat like that.
snow report
Got to use the Gopro Hero 3 Silver properly last week, was away for xmas week in Le Grand Bornand

Here's our holiday video with pictures at the end, 6 minutes, needs sound.
Need to iron out a few timing issues with some pictures

Don't forget to change the playback quality to 720p once you've clicked play if watching on youtube on a pc

Various links incase there's issues

http://youtube.com/v/B2dngpACc8c

http://youtube.com/v/B2dngpACc8c

Le Grand Bornand Christmas 2012 - Snowboarding + Skiing - Gopro Hero 3 Silver from Streaty1984
https://vimeo.com/56485754
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/eOocAGDOzow
ski holidays
What would you say the percentage for skiers using helmet mounts / chest mounted?

Secondly.... Are remotes controls used for on/off, zooming in etc
snow report
I use a helmet mount on my Drift, and use the remote for turning it on and off.

I've also used a bike mount and car mount, and the remote's handy in those situations where you can't reach it
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy