Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resorts with spas - which would you recommend?

Poster: A snowHead
Dear fellow heads of snow.
I'm planning a little safari trip for Jan and hoping to take in some resorts with open-air spas. It seems there are quite a few in the Alps (maybe 10-20). I'm trying to work out which are the best ones to visit, i.e. which have the most dramatic settings, and are relatively easy to get to from the resort centre (plus the quality of the actual facilities themselves). It seems that some of the spas are some distance from the actual resort making an apres-ski visit a bit trickier to sort.
A quick Google suggests that Leukerbad might be one of the most spectacular. Others I've heard of (but know little about) include Bad Ragaz, Bad Gastein/Hofgastein, Scuol and Ovronnaz.
Any info much appreciated.
Thanks.
Neil Neige
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BKK http://www.badkleinkirchheim.at/en - tis brilliant
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the recommendation, Bode. That looks like a cool place (I'd never heard of it). Might be heading out in that direction anyway (in late Feb).
One further complication is that I'd be doing it by train so shortish bus transfers from stations would be handy. Looks like Bad Kleinkircheim is 30kms from nearest station so not too far.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They were building a big new one in kaprun a few years back
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm told there's a good one somewhere in Oetztal, no experience of it personally though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sev112 wrote:
They were building a big new one in kaprun a few years back

I popped in there last year. Really nice and do-able by train... http://www.tauernspakaprun.com/en
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Neil Neige, du Therme / Pre St Didier, stay there or 5/10 mins from la Thuile/Courmayeur. All day for 40eu
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Alpentherme spa in Bad Hofgastein is worth a visit (www.alpentherme.com). There's a lovely big natural spring water spa, with a fairly large outdoor section, where you can relax whilst watching the piste bashers do their stuff up on the mountains. There's also a large "sauna world", but beware, as I believe is normal in Austria, it's a mixed facility with no swimwear allowed!

The skiing is pretty good too, although a bit low and split into 4(?) areas. If you do go, it's worth popping over to the Graukogel area, as although it's small, there's some lovely runs, including an old world cup run.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I forgot to mention that the Alpentherme is very near the bottom of the lifts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bormio has some great spas.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Neil Neige, i'm bias but +1 for the spas in Gastein .... and sugarmoma666 is right, now swimwear in Sauna World or the other saunas in the valley. To be honest, you get used to it after about 10 mins.

Both the Alpentherme (Bad Hofgastein) and Felsentherme (Bad Gastein) are right in the centre and close to the lifts. The Felsentherme has recently been done up too, both great places to go after a day on the piste.

I woudn't say the resort is low - in the Eastern Alps, good conditions can be found at much lower altitudes than their western counterparts. Bad Gastein and the rest of Ski Amade has a really good snow record.

For more info about the valley, click through to my website in the tag below. Loads of links to the spas, lifts, etc. etc.

Cheers
Kersh
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all these extra replies. Bad Hofgastein sounds great - perhaps they need to rebrand to attract more Brits. Good Hofgastein?
As for the sauna swimwear policies - I've never been one for saunas so thankfully (for me and, especially, for any onlookers) that won't be an issue!
The Kaprun spa looks nice too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I've been in Austrian sauna/spas, most people have been wrapped up in towels until they actually get into the pools or saunas. No obligation to put yourself on show!
If you are doing a safari. consider Altenmarkt near to Gastein and on the Ski Amade pass. Spa there was good, including the clothed section!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Oetztal Therme is in Langenfeld and is one of the best I have ever used. The stacked outdoor pools are fantastic and incredibly relaxing after a long day on the pistes. The uppermost one uses changing lights and relaxing music to lull you to sleep almost. Amazing on a clear night to lie in the warm water and watch for shooting stars.

I agree with the others about the swimwear ban in Saunas, after a few minutes you've seen it all and some and forget any self-consciousness. Wearing a large towel or bathrobe covers most of your blushes when not actually in the saunas or steam baths. It is certainly healthier to be in there naked as opposed to locked into not so hygienic swimwear, especially if it is made from artificial fibre of some sort or another. Be careful to make sure you sit or lie on a towel in the saunas or the hygiene police will be after you! wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Neil Neige, there's also Monetier-les-Bains in the French Alps (Serre Chevalier ), Brides-les-Bains (3 Valleys), St Gervais,
snow report
Neil Neige wrote:
perhaps they need to rebrand to attract more Brits. Good Hofgastein?

You'd be amazed how many folk suggest this. However the Bad bit means Bath so if it was a Good Hofgastein, there'd be no spa so you probably wouldn't going. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin snowHead

Wherever you choose, have a great holiday!

Cheers
snow report
Another +1 for Bad Hofgastein, Bad Gastein went there a couple of years ago and it was very nice. Though I'd prefer it if they didn't rebrand to attract more brits, I personally prefer the resorts without the Brits on tour. We certainly didn't hear much English walking around or on the slopes.
latest report
Any of these spa resorts high up? I`d guess they tend not to be and I would therefore wonder about snow reliability? I went to one in Bavaria 30 odd years ago, I wish I could remember where, and there was something really decadent about swimming in warm water surrounded by snow.
ski holidays
CaravanSkier, You probably visited Alpemare in Bad Wiessee. It is on the shores of Tegernsee and used to be a big favourite, but it showing its age a bit now. As for the altitude problem - forget it, there is plenty of snow in the central and eastern Alps at quite low levels as these places have a continental climate, not a maritime one.

I can add another one having indulged myself a wee bit this week - the Therme Amadé in Altenmarkt. Totally amazing and one of the best I have visited in a long long time! So many saunas and so many special events on offer free of charge as well, such as salt saunas which leave your skin soft and glowing. Dead Sea mud steam baths are an exorbitant 12 Euros in comparison! wink Laughing
latest report
Interesting observation on the local climate and snow thank you. You make me really want to visit Therme Amande, having indulged in mud at the Dead Sea I well remember how wonderful it leaves your skin and I just love spas and hot baths in general Smile
ski holidays
I'd recommend the outdoor 3 hr spa circuit at Saint Gervais. Have only tried it in the summer but imagine it is fun in winter too. The ski resort looks nice from what we could tell in summer.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
I can add another one having indulged myself a wee bit this week - the Therme Amadé in Altenmarkt.

Sue, on my list of places to visit for sure!!! wink

Cheers
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy