Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

5th of Jan Deals - How late to wait?

Poster: A snowHead
When will the prices tumble for the 5th of Jan holidays?

They're pretty low at the moment but I'm sure they could shave a few bob off! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
3rd of Jan?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
get in fast, like you we where watching for a bargain, Ski World had a whole load of availability on the 14th of December (26 rooms out of 42 unsold at the ski lodge in Tignes gone by the 18th), by 18 December they had sold most of what we where tracking val D'Isere,Tignes, Verbier and Alp D', by the 20th we decided to book through Alpine Answers have a look at their web site for late deals. They are a great company to use
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Myup. What radar said!

We booked the Aigle Lodge in Tignes for £475 in mid-December. I think that was about as cheap as it got!

In saying that, if you have the cajones to wait, sometime you'll get a VERY last minute bargain with skiworld. We paid a (very cheap) 440 pounds for Chamois Volant in L2A. It was cheaper than most of the other guests except a couple of lads who paid £250 on the Thurs night. Anyone who's been in that place will tell you that's a STEAL!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sean1967, Silverski are knocking out a week catered chalet for £399 for that week. Their changeover day is Sunday 6th.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All in, it was you! it got down to £469 very briefly and went up to £499.

Would recommend Silverski have done four holidays with them all great

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 28-12-12 14:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Radar. Must have been!

We actually went to book at the higher price and when we got through to the booking form they'd knocked another 30-40 quid off the rooms. The next day they were advertising the reduced price, and a couple of days later it was back up again.

As a veteran of a dozen or so Skiworld holidays I'm just about getting the knack of getting the right prices, although this one was our real chance to test our resolve as we're not going with the girls and could have held out for a very last minute deal. I always bottle it though, and end up booking at the best possible late'ish prices for fear of losing the choice any later.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK, some advice from someone who worked for a TO for the two past winter seasons....

Wait as long as you can. Even up until a day before you travel. Early January is typically one of the questest times for UK tour ops of the main season. So long as you're not massively fussed which partcular resort you end up in, then wait it out for as long as you can. Particularly once you get to the Thursday/Friday before going. The big TOs also often use travel agents, so don't be afraid to check those out.

To give an example: in season 2010/11 a couple came out in January and stayed in a catered 3-star hotel in Arc 1600; amazing food (breakfast and dinner), slopeside location and decent sized room. They paid £260 each. Various other late bookers I spoke to got their holiday for £300 or so. Others paid closer to full price but got lift passes thrown into the deal.

Waiting until the very last minute can provide some absolute bargains, particular with the large TO's such as crystal, Neilson, Skiworld, DirectSki etc who have a large volume of rooms to fill.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[pimp]
Gonna pimp myself here.. but it's relevent....

Ryanair are doing stansted to Salzburg... out the 6th - back the 13th... £50 return (not including baggage or paying them for paying them)... but still a fantastic price for circa 2000 miles!

And I am doing BnB at €100 pp for the week (based on 2 sharing) or €175 for single use...
Catered chalet is €200 for the week (based on 2 sharing) or €275 for single use...

Transfers from Salzburg are €45 pp for a return... Or will be included for free if I can fit it in!!

contact me asap (click on link below peeps)...

[/pimp]
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sean1967, The flight linked to deals is the problem of leaving really late i.e. same week of travel so I would keep in touch with deals by phone to get the best deal ,as previously posted a person needs to sell to eat, a computer does not
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am on the same boat....Not sure when to press the button....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We were also tracking the Skiworld deals, they seem to take a tumble in price about 4 weeks out - seems they like to get in early to guarantee they fill the chalets.

We ended up with £370 for 3* chalet in Tignes Val Claret, location looks to be perfect. Looking today to see if we could have done better waiting longer and can't see much for less than £400 in France, certainly not much with real ski in/out/lift proximity right now so quite pleased we pulled the trigger when we did.

Not sure how much difference the snow situation makes - seems most prices have been quite firm since it started dumping, especially in Espace Killy.

Never been with Skiworld before - anyone got any views?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chrisdb, Welcome to snowHeads. Looks like a great deal to me. I think the offers have thinned out since the snow started too. My friendly Thomas Cook manager tells me that TOs dump unsold rooms 3 weeks prior to departure unless they have the whole hotel/chalet when they can be available later. You never know!

snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sean1967, If you don't mind Crystal/Thomson mainstream TO's they have some sub-£250 B&B deals to Austria. Some £300-ish HB deals to Italy.

SkiWorld had some decent 3* Chalet in La Plagne for £340 that have now been snapped up.

As regards booking late you have to have a very open mind as to where you may end up. Price-crucial bargains tend to be the odds and sods of what's left. You also may not get en-suite facilities or may have to take a chalet with shared baths/wc's.

If you want choice of resort/nice chalet I think Monday is the cut-off for that. SkiVal have some tempting offers for St Anton and Val d'Isere, especially if you factor in 2 for 1 lift passes in some accommodations.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you live in Ireland, I'd say about two weeks ago.

No deals with Crystal at all for that weeks - the only other crew are Topflight, who are sold out in france, with a few deals to Austria/Italy.
snow report
rogg makes a good point, in that if you are dead set on a specific airport, don't leave it too late - but if you live in Oxford you are within striking distance of several and can be flexible. The offer from flangesax sounds good though Stansted is a pain unless you live north of London.
snow report
Chris Bish wrote:
chrisdb, Welcome to snowHeads. snowHead

Thank you Smile

The SkiVal deals do look good, just had a look at Alpine Elements and they have some availability in Les Gets, Morzine and La Plagne all under £400. Apparently snow is great in Plagne just now.

It all comes down to what you feel is value - yes there are some super cheap deals in Austria/Andorra but a lot of the resorts are pretty small piste wise.
ski holidays
Chris have a look at the Alpine Answers web site and their late deals, they have everything from a full package to chalet only, and have a range of tour operators.
snow report
chrisdb, have used Skiworld a few times and found them OK, have booked with them again for our next trip
snow report
Quote:

Stansted is a pain unless you live north of London.

Is it really?... £6 single from Stratford on the bus, £8 from Victoria, £16 Stansted Express from Liverpool Street.... Or is it a case of 'oh no I have to drive on the M25'?... Not too painful really... (and all this coming from a bloke who used to live near Canterbury and often either makes visits or has them made to him!)

... having said that getting any public transport connections for those dawn early Ryanair flights can be an 'experience' Shocked
ski holidays
rogg, Spot on there my man, Crystal had a week in Rauris b n b for 287e from Dublin on 5th or 12th of Jan. Checked today and they have a week h/b in Kitzbuhel for 412e but the hotel is way out of town but a great deal all the same. Very Happy
snow report
If I were in your position I'd search the Tour operator website for the holiday you want, then Google for the Hotel/Chalet name - Reason being the Tour operators often "resell" through 3rd parties and it can be cheaper, I booked a week away with another SH through an obscure website but we received confirmation details from Inghams, which was surprising, but when I searched the Inghams website for the same holiday, it was about £200 more expensive (so we saved £100 each for exactly the same holiday!).

Good luck snowHead
latest report
COuld not wait any longer. Booked with CrystalSki (1st time using TO) week in Tonale for £279 each (HB, flights, transfers). Not a bad deal considering the hole in my bank account Toofy Grin
snow report
redbaron51, fab price!
snow conditions
Quote:

week in Tonale for £279 each (HB, flights, transfers)

Amazing deal. At that price, if the food's rubbish, you could afford to eat out a few evenings!
ski holidays
I was waiting for a 5/6th Jan deal, pulled the trigger yesterday as my usual sources (IgluSki etc) didn't seem to be budging
latest report
Mac22, Amazing...I rang couple of TOs and basically they did not want to offer anything lower than price on website or throw in a lift pass, etc...In fact oe of them just told me: "This is the best/cheapest we can offer if you are happy give me a call back and I book it for you"...Sounds like they were really doing me a big favour....

Anyway, I believe I got a good deal in the end, hope TopCashBack tracks my purchase and give me £18 back wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Amazing deal. At that price, if the food's rubbish, you could afford to eat out a few evenings!

I'd expect ski school and a lift pass for that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cynic wrote:
Quote:

I'd expect ski school and a lift pass for that.

But no flights or accommodation Smile
ski holidays
Been looking for the same thing - limiting factor is being a northern monkey! Very little out of Newcastle now or even Manchester on that weekend; agreed though if London airports are close by, there is plenty at this time of year...

Finally pulled trigger on Vars out of NCL...
ski holidays
I'm going to wait until the 3rd or 4th.

There's some decent deals around for Austria in the ' snow houses ' but I reckon there still room for prices to drop significantly for HB and chalet accommodation.
snow report
Always have been good deals out of Gatwick Crying or Very sad . It's about time TO widened there horizons and gave us north enters a chance at decent offers instead of cutting our flights
snow report
Just booked Niederau for £250 pp HB in the Hotel Schneeberger.

I wanted to wait until Friday but my mate's bottle crashed.
latest report
sean1967, with flights?
snow conditions
radar wrote:
sean1967, with flights?

Yeah and transfers.

Pretty good I thought.
ski holidays
sean1967, And snow?

40 110 s no worries

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 1-01-13 21:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Cynic, metre of snow and 113/145km open. Green's not a pretty color on you wink
ski holidays
Timmaah, Having taught up the road at Auffach I know it well.
snow report
Timmaah wrote:
Cynic, metre of snow and 113/145km open. Green's not a pretty color on you wink

Its looking a bit warm over the next few days but I'm sure there will be snow to ski on.

Hopefully
latest report
sean1967, Today 40cm village 110cm top, It is a meadow piste so no rocks to worry about, it will be great and has some of the prettiest scenery; the church set against the hills is fabulous.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy