Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

good average snowfall for soll???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
May sound silly question, but what counts as good average snow fall for skiwelt? I know the 2011/12 season was well above average butwhat sort of level makes good skiing. I appreciate aAustria slopes dontneedas much as france due to type of fields/hill, but what would make good skiing on minimum fall (if that makes sense)....just want to know what to be looking for in snow forecasts. Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
10/15cms of compacted snow is enough for piste conditions to be absolutely fine. If the snowpack were 7m deep (it won't be), it would still only be the top 10cms you'd be skiing on (onpiste).

I would guess typical snowfall is probably 7-9 metres a year? Nothing to back that up though. Obviously by the time it consolidates and compacts, that doesn't mean 7m deep on the hill.

Now breathe dude, why the constant panic??
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lots of Austrian weather stats here http://www.zamg.ac.at/fix/klima/oe71-00/klima2000/klimadaten_oesterreich_1971_frame1.htm

from 1971 to 2000. Most the stats taken from valley so yearly snowfalls seem quite low 1-3m, not sure what location nearest to Soll.

As clarky999, says for on piste skiing a small base goes a long way, for offpiste you normally want 1m -2m base depending on terrain. Most my local off piste is through trees and logged out areas which contains lots of trunks, downed logs, small trees etc. With only about 50cms base at the moment makes the off piste extra exciting, early season hazards abound.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks waynos, and clarky999. No real panic, obviously just want nice fresh snow when I go early feb.. just been keeping an eye on forecasts and noticed they were lower than france, but im sure this is always the case. Thanks for reassursnce
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jon Ford, I don't think snowfall amounts vary that much between France and Austria in general though of course snowfall amounts vary from hill to hill. Generally I think with the recent weather coming in the from the West has meant France (in the west of the alps) gets more snow than the eastern alps (Austria). Though I think the Arlberg for instance has had decent snowfalls. If the weather switches to say NW then Austria is in the firing line and gets good quantities. Been snowing most of today here in Schladming.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks waynos, will keep an eye out
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Currently the snow is 20cm deep on low pistes and 110cm on high pistes. Average would be 26 and 73 (4th week of December). When are you going?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 28-12-12 19:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

just want nice fresh snow when I go early feb

having "nice fresh snow" has absolutely zero to do with what the depth of snow is. You can have deep, old, tired, snow or much less deep "nice fresh snow". The annual statistics are pretty irrelevant, really. I remember a mid April, several years ago when snow depths in my neck of the French woods was fantastic. It was still sometimes nasty to ski on though because the top few centimetres felt like glue at times, and as [b]clarky999[/b says, that's the bit you ski on.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jon Ford wrote:
Thanks waynos, and clarky999. No real panic, obviously just want nice fresh snow when I go early feb.. just been keeping an eye on forecasts and noticed they were lower than france, but im sure this is always the case. Thanks for reassursnce

Not really, though there's far too much variety within each country for any country-by-country comparison to work at all. However as Waynos said, most of the recent systems have come in from the West, so other than the Arlberg area (and other parts of Western Tirol), France and Switzerland are first in the firing line. When the weather comes form the North, Austria gets more, when it comes from the South, Italy gets more snow.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
More technical than a simple snow dance then? Will keep an eye on forecasts but what will be, will be. Sure will have a good time. Thanks for all replies
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy