Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler Canada BC 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
Well, I can't seem to find a Whistler thread anywhere on here and the hubby and I are heading out there for a month this year so I decided to create one Toofy Grin

The official Snow and Weather condition report for Whistler is here: http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/the-mountain/snow-and-weather/index.aspx

Also, there is a weather forecast here: http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Whistler-Blackcomb/6day/mid

According to the resort info, over 5.5m of snow has already fallen. We arrive on Sunday so can't wait to see what that actually looks like!

It's our first time in Whistler so if anyone has any tips, then definitely pass them on. Also, if anyone is out there already we'd love to hear what the conditions are actually like snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Eat in Araxi.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kaoticturtle, How about some food tips to start? You have to have lunch at Dusty's at Creekside at least once - bottom of the Dave Murray Downhill run. The pulled pork sandwiches are very good as are the bucket of ribs. The main restaurants at the Roundhouse (on Whistler mountain) and Glacier Lodge (Blackcomb) and the Rendezvous (Blackcomb) are a bit barn like. One bonus is that the Roundhouse and Glacier Lodge both have shops so if you find you need to buy a neckwarmer, more suncream or some Advil then you don't have to go all the way back down again. The Chic Pea (on Whistler) is good on sunny days as they usually have a BBQ and the burgers are great. However, being January you might not get that chance. All the same, the Chic Pea is a bit cosier than the Roundhouse and so is the Raven's Nest (Whistler) where you can get great sandwiches. If you do eat at the Roundhouse, then Pika's (the downstairs bit) do a mean breakfast sandwich in the morning and great pies for lunch. The chilli is pretty good too. The Crystal Hut (on Blackcomb) is more like a European style hut and can get very crowded particularly when the weather closes in. However, the dinner plate size waffles are deeee-licious and are a lot lighter than they look. wink

Apres is good in the GLC but a lot of people also like the Longhorn. These are both at the base of Whistler but if you go over to the base at Blackcomb then Merlins is great for Apres too. This is usually from 3.30 - 4pm onwards.

There are plenty of really good places to eat out in the evening and my favourite nice places are Araxi, Sushi Village and the Rimrock. The Trattoria di Umberto is a great Italian but the Spaghetti Factory is more budget and family friendly. The Brewhouse is a good place for a reasonably priced meal out and has a bar area too.

Hope you have a great time!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow... You know, I can see this quite quickly morphing into a snow, food and cake report! Those waffles look amazing! Purely for the purposes of reporting faithfully to everyone here I can see that I may need to pop by the Crystal Hut at least twice to give a fair and unbiased review Toofy Grin

We fly out this evening so it won't be long!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh the Crystal Hut - that waffle brings back goooood memories on a very cold day!!
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kaoticturtle, you also have to try the cinnamon buns - they're like the Starbucks cinnamon swirl buns on steroids. Great for sharing. They sell them in the coffee bar bit in Pika's (downstairs in the Roundhouse) and I think at Glacier Lodge on Blackcomb.

I'm looking forward to seeing your snow updates on here wink Have fun!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kaoticturtle wrote:
Well, I can't seem to find a Whistler thread anywhere on here and the hubby and I are heading out there for a month this year so I decided to create one Toofy Grin

Aargh! So jealous! We did 4 weeks there in 2011 and 12 days last season, but a house move has swallowed some of the budget for 2013. So we're 'slumming' it in France. Which is obviously a lot better than nothing, but not a patch on Canada IMO.

Some of our relatives are in Whistler at the moment, I think conditions are pretty good.

Favourite areas? For me (confident intermediate), Blackcomb Glacier, some of the easier black diamond stuff on Harmony Ridge, pretty much all of 7th Heaven, simpler tree runs like Arthur's Choice on Blackcomb and the fast blues off the top of Crystal Chair on Blackcomb. Oh, and Seppo's - underneath the Garbanzo Chair.

What we loved most about Whistler compared to everywhere we'd been in France was the 'go anywhere' mindset - yes, there are marked runs, but pretty much everywhere inside the 8,000+ acre area is in bounds.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is it raining yet?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cynic, Ah there you are! What took you so long wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kaoticturtle, we've found this to be a useful book. There's an intermediate book but it's more of a glorified piste map.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, we've landed in Vancouver and managed to get some kip at a reasonably normal local time, even if we did wake up a tad early this morning.

ajrduff and geetee, thanks for the tips on the runs. Once we're up there we'll be having a look at the piste map this evening and plotting a couple of things to have a looksee at tomorrow Toofy Grin

While not actually in Whistler yet, I do have a snow report courtesy of our rather jolly captain from the flight over. Apparently "it may be raining in Vancouver, but that's resulting in rather a lot of powder up on the snow fields"

So, in answer to Cynic, yes it is raining with us right now but that may be a good thing depending on whether or not you trust a snow report from the pilot that just flew over the mountains in the dark! Wink

In more exciting news, we have our first cake report! Mr KT decided to try the "make your own" waffle at breakfast. It didn't turn out quite as well presented as a Crystal Hut one but it was certainly of an appropriate size!

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Buy an umbrella
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cynic, I just spent three weeks there and got rained on once. You're exaggerating.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, he went once and got rained on the whole time - therefore it must rain ALL the time and he's got a huge chip on his shoulder that the rest of us get powder. He turns up on every Whistler thread to remind us. rolling eyes By the way, how was your trip? Did you have a good time?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kaoticturtle, that's a pretty good effort with the waffle. Happy Looks like you've got a bit of sun in the forecast this week with some flurries. Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing a few photos too.
latest report
kaoticturtle,

We spent the whole of March in Whistler - paradise on earth as far as we're concerned.

Araxi (need to book), The Rimrock (need to book), Sushi Village, Earls, The Keg, Umbertos are all great places to eat out at night.

GLC (Whistler) and Merlins (Blackomb) are both decent après-ski options and serve mean nachos platters. Dustys at Creekside is a must (live band plus great burgers).

We've been going to Whistler since 2006 - year after year our favourite lunch spot on the mountain is the Crystal Hut (you can always drop down to Creekside and Dustys though).

The Amsterdam is my favourite drinking spot at night - opposite Araxi - but there are so many options in the village ( you may want to catch one of the Irish band sessions at the Dubh Linn Gate).

Favourite runs (Whistler) : Franz's (if Carlsberg did ski runs ...), Peak To Creek ( when groomed), Seppos, The Saddle, Dave Murray DH, anything around Harmony and Symphony (Rhapsody Bowl is a must if you get fresh snow)

Favourite runs (Blackcomb) : anything off Crystal Chair (Ridge Runner is the favourite), Jersey Cream, most stuff around 7th Heaven

Have a great time - wish I was in Vancouver now (seriously thinking about relocating there ...). Blush
snow conditions
geetee, it was great - about as much sunshine as Mordor, but ridiculous amounts of powder. Did lots of tree runs (quite badly), which was new to me, and learned loads of stuff to get on with all season. My technique is pretty much good enough to pass CASI1, should I wish to do so, but I need more speed and confidence, so goal for the season is to stop being such a pansy. Laughing
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
about as much sunshine as Mordor

Love it! Happy

Looks like the forecast is for SNOW again this week. Anyone in Whistler care to comment?! Happy
snow conditions
geetee wrote:

Looks like the forecast is for SNOW again this week. Anyone in Whistler care to comment?! Happy

I sure can! I would apologise for not being on sooner but we've been a bit busy with the boarding and I've haven't been paying too much attention to getting online snowHead

Starting from the beginning, last week was pretty sunny. We arrived on the Sunday and right through to Friday the skies were clear and the sun was out. It was stunning! Only downside was that there was no new snow but what was here was holding up pretty well. The top half of each mountain was still quite soft (and not in a slushy way!) and it was only once you came down below the top of the wizard chair on Blackcomb, and below mid-station on Whistler that it started getting a bit hard, but still not too packed. We haven't seen much ice, although the locals have been complaining that there is some. In contrast, all the Europeans we've talked to say the locals clearly don't know how good they've got it!

On Friday/Saturday it started to get a bit cloudy and a few flurries of snow came down. Not all that much but enough that there was a few centimeters of fresh all over. On Sunday night we got another inch or two and on Monday it kept going and visibility was pretty poor in some areas. From about Crystal Hut down on Blackcomb the visibility was fine apart from the odd patch, and Whistler mountain looked to be less affected too but we didn't head over there. We went up to the top of 7th Heaven and it was blowing a gale with very limited visibility. We ended up heading rather tentatively down blue line to get out and had to follow the piste markers for a good while until we came out of the clouds. I can't quite tell you how much fresh powder there was up there but it was enough that, combined with the lack of visibility, you couldn't easily feel when your speed changed until you saw the piste marker coming at you at about twice the rate you thought it should... Puzzled

We did take some video yesterday, so the following are pictures from that to show some of the conditions. The first two are 7th Heaven, we think the second two are a bit further down on Ridge Runner. Just to check, are the pictures an ok size or should they be smaller? If smaller, does anyone know how?

When we got back to the village Monday afternoon (yesterday), the temperatures were up and all the snow was melting in the village. All the icicles had melted off our balcony and by evening time the skies were clear. Mr KT (an Aussie with a 5 year old's outlook...) was a bit worried that we would lose all the snow and the next few weeks would be a lost cause... Oh he of little faith...

Today, around mid-morning it started snowing, and seriously SNOWING! We headed up Blackcomb and in the space of only an hour and a half when we came to get the Wizard lift back up it had dropped a few inches. It got heavier after lunchtime and hasn't really let up since. We came down fairly early as the snow was getting heavier and the clouds were dropping lower and lower. Snow conditions were good though. A really nice layer of powder on everything and quite a lot of places where it wasn't too tracked as it was really quiet.

Its now 7pm and according to the Whistler official snow report 10 cm have dropped. By looking at the cars parked outside (shown in the pic below, they were clear this morning), we'd say that more than that has come down. We'll make sure that we get some photos tomorrow to show you all the snow on the mountain snowHead

(edited to fix picture links)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 18-01-13 3:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Hi kaoticturtle! Thanks for the update! I guessed you were probably having way to much fun on the mountain to bother about coming on here wink and I don't blame you either! Happy I love the last photo of the carpark. So much snow! I'm afraid the others aren't showing up though. Is it a permissions thing or is the message right and you've moved or deleted them?

I like the Crystal Zone when it's dumping hard as the viz is usually good. Bad viz makes me feel weird and almost dizzy so I like to stay near the trees. Watch out for tree wells though - they can be extremely dangerous.

Have fun today and stay safe. Happy
snow report
Hi geetee!

I think I've officially decided to declare Whistler in its own time hole - time seems to fly by here and before you know it another week has gone by! We spend the day up on the mountains, then by the time we've showered, got something for dinner and chilled a bit its time for bed and another day has gone. We are definitely having fun though Smile

The power day was amazing. In total, 45cm dropped in one night. The next day was crazy busy on the lifts in the morning and probably the first time we've ever had proper fresh powder to board on. We took it fairly easy and just enjoyed ourselves. There were quite a few blue pistes that hadn't been groomed, and lots that had lines down the sides of them that are never groomed so we were able to enjoy practicing without getting out of our depth. We also took a lesson the next day and got some good tips! Unfortunately we didn't manage to get much in the way of good footage for the day so we don't really have any good photos. I’ll see what I can get thought and post them up soon.

Thanks for the warning about tree wells. We've only just started to board in the trees in our lessons so we haven't been going into them much ourselves - mainly just dipping round one or two on the edge of pistes. Its definitely something that we will keep in mind as we start to explore more though. I've just done a bit of reading online and we've noted the point about doing short sections at a time so that you always stay in sight of each other rather than meeting at the other side.

Since the big drop of powder, there hasn't been any more snow so everything here is getting a bit hard packed, and dare I say it icy. It was incredibly cold (around -16 for a few days) but its warmed up quite a bit now. Looks like we’re forecast some snow next week so fingers crossed! snowHead
latest report
Hi kaoticturtle! So true about Whistler being in its own time zone. And once you've spent more than a few weeks there, two weeks goes by in the blink of an eye. Very Happy

I had a look at the forecast yesterday and, you're right, looks like it's going to get cooler and snow next week. I'm arriving on the 31st so fingers crossed for some fresh stuff then.

Sounds like you're having a great time. Happy Dare I ask, how much longer? Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 20-01-13 11:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
It could definitely do with some snow here - but the groomers are holding up really nicely and there is still nice stuff in the trees. However, roll-on Tuesday and the predicted white-stuff!
snow conditions
was in Whistler for 3 days last week. Two nice top ups on Thursday and Friday. Midweek powder days are fine things at Whistler. Not busy, no lines, lots of snow.
snow report
4 sleeps to go Happy
latest report
Watching this with interest, good lady and myself fancy 10 days next year for our 40th's. Not sure what best place to go is this or sunshine or even goto Taho.

Puzzled
snow conditions
geetee,

I guess you'll be Camping again: have fun. I'll be doing it in March, as usual!
snow conditions
Acacia, yes that's the plan. I left my skis there last year and skied on my old K2s at Christmas. Those first runs could be interesting (again) Happy

Hope you have a great time in March and that it's as snowy as last year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Going out on Tuesday. Weather was looking good but it's forecast to get warmer and rainy at the point that I get there (as usual). rolling eyes
ski holidays
boris360, I wouldn't worry too much - a bit of rain in the valley means snow on the mountain and the alpine forecast says snow so get out there and play!! Have a great holiday! I've just come back from three weeks there and it was excellent. Happy
ski holidays
Arrived in Whistler on Friday night, and got my ski legs back up Blackcomb on Saturday morning before transferring over on the Peak to Peak.

Conditions were ....................typical Whistler spring skiing (i.e. Cynic would feel at home). Two layers of cloud, with the mid-mountain reasonably clear, and the snow varying from packed powder, through cement, to slush below the Solar Coaster lift (I rather like slush, though).

Locals say that the last week has seen higher temperatures and a mix of snow and rain, with freezing levels relatively high (a touch of the Pineapple Express), but it looks like it's due to improve during this week.

- Fingers crossed.

St. Paddy's day today - it'll be heaving in the Dubh Linn Gate.
ski holidays
A week later, and a midweek storm has deposited its bounty (right down to the village). About 7 inches of freshies on Thursday morning: fun!. This has left excellent conditions in the alpine (good skiing on the Blackomb glacier and off Whistler peak) and temperatures have plummeted, keeping everything intact right down to the base (actually, keeping everything frozen solid, right down to the base - even at the end of the day). The Canadian Alpine Championships are being held here, right now, and the weather's obviously decided to maintain racecourse-like consistency over the lower half of the mountain!

Sunshine yesterday and today, and for the forseeable (= 5 days) future, together with a gradual increase in temperatures suggests some great spring skiing in prospect.
snow conditions
Anyone out in Whistler to provide an update on conditions?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy