Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

keeping edges sharp on holiday

Poster: A snowHead
can anyone recommend a device for keeping my edges sharp while I'm away?

I've seen quite a few little devices with a lot of different kinds of files. I am just wary of over tuning my skis and reducing the life.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sellerselectrical, just using a file or stone will only take burs off, you need something that holds the file or stone at the correct angle, Toko ususally do one or two devices for reasonable money, however being honest your best bet is to just take off any burrs on the edges yourself and have a shop resharpen edges as required, where you are skiing on soft powder that will be far less than skiing on hard icy pistes it also depends on your skis, some edges last better than others
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sellerselectrical,a gummi stone is best bet for de-burring and a quick fix , and maybe a general(400) diamond file and small holder if you want to spend a bit of time in the evening , as the poster above says , dependeds on conditions as to how much attention your edges will need

check out skituning@btinternet.com for any equipment or tuning tips you may need
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I normally take a diamond file, in a variable angle holder, which keeps the edges sharp over a week if they have been serviced before you go. Takes off much less material than a steel file but produces a sharp finish. I've got this setup but Toko etc make much the same thing:
http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/2417/products/holmenkol_ergo_semi_edge_tool.aspx
http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/3491/products/moonflex_100mm_diamond_file_600_white.aspx
(400 grit probably better if your edges are going to get beat up on ice)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,137/category_id,15/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/

Use the alu-oxide stone in the tool first to remove any case hardened burrs/rock dings & then swap to the diamond file to polish up. Wet the diamond file with water/snow/spit/beer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sellerselectrical, A small diamond file, or 2. One medium, one fine. Maybe even a small de-burr stone if you got more than a sharpen to do.
BTW, learn how to keep them sharp, that helps.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am worried about changing the angle being a novice to tuning, so maybe one of those preset tools could be better for me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sellerselectrical, if you know the edge angles, just buy the right edge angle guide, they're really cheap. spyderjon can advise i'm sure. Doubt you´ll need to bother with the base edge other than deburring with your gummy stone.

Cheers
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sellerselectrical, get one of the Kunzmann devices from spyderjon, they are great for touching up nicks and burrs when on hols. I wouldnt worry too much about oversharpening if you tune by hand, I tune my skis all the time and they lose life before they run out of edge.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, just curious, what grade is the diamond in the edge trick ?

I typically file and then start with a 200 grit working up to 600 and then a ceramic stone to finish
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sellerselectrical, Unless you're going rock-hopping at the start or end of the season . . . don't worry about it . . . wax on the other hand

Or you're planning on a weeks race training . . . wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use a little Kunzmann and the stone first followed by diamond. Don't forget the Zardoz Notwax on the base- I find that works really well.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, IIRC it's a blue 300grit
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, spyderjon, if I only wanted to buy two diamond files, what grades would you recommend ? Interested in buying the moonflex ones but not really sure having a full set of them is worthwhile for me. It feels like a 200 and 400 would possibly be the right choice. btw, I have the edge trick tool described above with alu-ox stone and mini diamond file for it (it is a small blue file so assuming 300 grit then)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pokemon, a nice progression is a medium cut metal file (16 cuts per cm), a 200grit diamond & a 600grit diamond. If you tend to ski hard snow or are a bit less diligent with your regime then the 100grit & the 400grit are a good combo.
ski holidays
spyderjon, thanks. Do you stock the 87 degree edge guides for the 70mm moonflex files?. I couldn't see them on your site but may have not looked hard enough
latest report
pokemon, here ya go:
http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,88/category_id,15/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/
ski holidays
spyderjon, brill. I'll have to pop over one lunchtime to your new shop. Do you have the 100 and 400 files and 87 guide in stock?

Btw congrats on the new shop.
snow report
pokemon, yep, I've got everything in stock.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy