Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet baggage query - sorry!

Poster: A snowHead
andy from embsay, we flew Gatwick to GVA with Easyjet yesterday and someone had their helmet attached to their rucksac - and there did not seem to be any problem with it, other than whacking me in the face when he turned round in the queue for security!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another potential issue, that has always been ok,- but you never know what the latest will be at check in desks, is this. Ski equipment as with all sports equipment allows an extra 12kg, and according to the easyjet site only one item, not a boot bag and ski bag. 2 items. This has never been an issue. Anyone had a problem recently, or has delved into the site further than I have been able to.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's the width (fnarr) RichardB. My helmet is 22cm across and that makes it too big for Ryanair's "generous" 20cm limit, even before it's in a bag. Easyjet's is 25cm, so it's still quite tight when you think you'll probably want some padding round it as well. When I started flying Ryanair a lot I had to buy a special Ryanair sized cabin bag as their width is smaller than anyone else's - but even the others' 25cm isn't really very wide.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
twoodwar wrote:
Another potential issue, that has always been ok,- but you never know what the latest will be at check in desks, is this. Ski equipment as with all sports equipment allows an extra 12kg, and according to the easyjet site only one item, not a boot bag and ski bag. 2 items. This has never been an issue. Anyone had a problem recently, or has delved into the site further than I have been able to.

That's what the email I had from them said (ie they don't have to go in one bag), but the chap said "poles" could go in a separate bag when I asked about boots - if I get a clarification I'll post it here.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers Andy .
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to resurrect this thread, after emailing Easyjet again I've just received the following:

Dear Andy,

Thank you for contacting us and we are pleased to know that you have chosen easyJet to travel.

I would like to inform you that the skis and boots will still be considered as one item even though they may have been packed in two different bags and would not be charged separately. I also confirm that incase you have added one hold bag and one sports equipment to your booking you are allowed to carry a maximum combined weight of 32 Kg.

So there you have it - ski bag + boot bag = one sporting item. Result - more pants.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As an aside, we were recently allowed to take 3 items of hand luggage on board, although I had a large carrier bag folded in my pocket to combine the two handbags if necessary.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy from embsay wrote:
Just to resurrect this thread, after emailing Easyjet again I've just received the following:

Dear Andy,

Thank you for contacting us and we are pleased to know that you have chosen easyJet to travel.

I would like to inform you that the skis and boots will still be considered as one item even though they may have been packed in two different bags and would not be charged separately. I also confirm that incase you have added one hold bag and one sports equipment to your booking you are allowed to carry a maximum combined weight of 32 Kg.

So there you have it - ski bag + boot bag = one sporting item. Result - more pants.

By the way, if anyone would like a copy of the email to wave in some baggage agent's face PM me.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just so everyone knows the above email isn't a one off - I have a very similar email from last week about snowboard, boots and hold luggage confirming that since I have booked a case and ski equipment I will be allowed to check in - 1 case, 1 Snowboard, 1 boot bag and take on hand luggage.

It took about three returns of emails to easyjet before I got the wording such that it couldn't be argued with at the check in desk!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry to take the p***, but what's the latest regarding ski boots in hand luggage at Grenoble? I'm not too fussed about what Easyjet say as I'm happy to lie to their faces, but rather the security.

I seem to remember it was a firm NO a few years ago, but then it changed to a hesitant yes recently. Can't find any recent postings on here regarding the issue.

Cheers snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy from embsay, result, well done!

In the end we paid for 3 x hold bags and 3 x sports equipments.

Outbound we took 2 hold bags, 1 mahoosive roller ski bag with 5 pairs skis/ 3 pairs poles and 2 boot bags. As previously mentioned it caused confusion at check-in as the girl clearly wanted 6 pieces so for the return, we checked in the above plus one small hand luggage sized case to have the 6 pieces.

I am still trying to work out if there is a cheaper/better configuration for me to book all this. For example I don't actually need one of the 20kg hold bags but I do need it's weight allowance to subsidise the mahoosive 5 pair ski bag. I am now thinking the hubby on a separate booking with one sports equipment only booked and he takes the roller bag filled to max. Me and son on a sep booking with say 2 hold bags and just 1 other sports equip as we can actually fit 3 pairs boots in the one large double boot bag. So there we have 2 hold bags and 2 ski equips but with a total weight of 84kg, rather than 64kg if we were all on the same booking - it's madness.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah wrote:
andy from embsay, result, well done!

In the end we paid for 3 x hold bags and 3 x sports equipments.

Outbound we took 2 hold bags, 1 mahoosive roller ski bag with 5 pairs skis/ 3 pairs poles and 2 boot bags. As previously mentioned it caused confusion at check-in as the girl clearly wanted 6 pieces so for the return, we checked in the above plus one small hand luggage sized case to have the 6 pieces.

I am still trying to work out if there is a cheaper/better configuration for me to book all this. For example I don't actually need one of the 20kg hold bags but I do need it's weight allowance to subsidise the mahoosive 5 pair ski bag. I am now thinking the hubby on a separate booking with one sports equipment only booked and he takes the roller bag filled to max. Me and son on a sep booking with say 2 hold bags and just 1 other sports equip as we can actually fit 3 pairs boots in the one large double boot bag. So there we have 2 hold bags and 2 ski equips but with a total weight of 84kg, rather than 64kg if we were all on the same booking - it's madness.

Did your booking docs really say 64kg and not 96kg?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sugarmoma666, no it didn't say anything on the docs. But for 3 people on a booking with 3 hold bags and 3 ski bags it is 20+20+20 + 12+12+12 = 96, the check in girl at the counter was working it out on a scrap of paper. For separate bookings as I described above it could be 1 person with 1 ski bag only and then 2 people with 2 bags and 1 ski equip so 32 + 20 +20 + 12 =84 whereas if these three were all on the same booking then it would be 20+20+12+12 =64.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You get 32kgs for sports equipment if you book alone.

Large coffin style bag with boots inside and a few clothes to protect the skis wink

No extra hold bag needed.

Just a carry on case with the rest of of your gear.

No weight limit on hand luggage with EZY just be careful with the dimensions of the carry on case.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 4-01-13 21:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hedley, I am going this way in future, putting the hubby on a separate booking.
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
sugarmoma666, no it didn't say anything on the docs. But for 3 people on a booking with 3 hold bags and 3 ski bags it is 20+20+20 + 12+12+12 = 96, the check in girl at the counter was working it out on a scrap of paper. For separate bookings as I described above it could be 1 person with 1 ski bag only and then 2 people with 2 bags and 1 ski equip so 32 + 20 +20 + 12 =84 whereas if these three were all on the same booking then it would be 20+20+12+12 =64.

Just an extra nine quid for hubby's booking. Can you take 5 pairs of skis as a single "sporting item"? They are very clear you can't pack clothes in the bag - but hopefully they won't mind some padding.
latest report
I give up with the whole thing, it doesn't make any sense, there are so many 'ifs', you can interpret it any way you want Laughing
snow conditions
Sarah

I spoke to Easyjet today discussing the very subject of the differences of weight allowance if you book as a group or as an individual and was assured that if the ski equipment was booked for an individual within the group booking then you would get the 32kg... He did stress however that it must be sport equipment, no clothes and only one item/set of sporting equipment.
Only time will tell if this is the case, but i'm going to go with a similar style to Hedley and see what happens!

Scott
snow report
Quote:

I also confirm that incase you have added one hold bag and one sports equipment to your booking you are allowed to carry a maximum combined weight of 32 Kg

I booked a hold luggage + sports equipment allowance but knowing the above, I fitted everything I wanted into one large ski bag (30Kg) to save lugging multiple bags around. I turned up to Birmingham to check in last week

'Sorry Sir, you have booked 2 bags but you only have 1. You are allowed only 12 Kg in your sports equipment'

Me, 'Can you please read me what it says on the EasyJet sports equipment T&C' - showing her my printed out sheet

After a phone call to EasyJet...

'Sorry Sir, but you must have 2 bags as you have paid for 2 bags'

After a visit to the EasyJet desk, returning with the manager

'Please check them in, I will put my name against it'

All these after >2 hours wait in the queues, which seem to be the case with EasyJet flights

Complaint email sent to EasyJet. Three days later I got a reply saying they will send me a reply
ski holidays
new_world99, Welcome to snowheads snowHead

Similar to me, we had 6 pieces booked, the girl wanted 6 items checked in (not the 5 we had) or she would reduce our weight allowance. In the end she got confused and just checked us in.

In your case I really can't see the issue, you paid for a hold bag and ski equip so not exactly scrimping on paying for your luggage, you want to put it all in one bag, what is their problem with this ffs? rolling eyes
ski holidays
reply from EasyJet today:

Quote:
I am very sorry to hear that you experienced the problems you describe at check in with our agent and the interpretation of our sports equipment carriage policy. As a result of this I have asked our Airport Manager for Birmingham to refresh the training for our Ground Crew on baggage policy focusing on sports equipment and weight distribution, especially important at this peak time for skiers such as yourself.

We do recognise that baggage can be a pain point for passengers, and we are in the process of reviewing our baggage policy as a whole. We are hoping to announce some positive changes in the very near future, I'm sure you will find that once we've made the changes our passengers experience will be greatly improved, and any ambiguity and inconsistency mitigated for our Ground Crew.

I am genuinely sorry that check-in for both legs of your journey didn't go as smoothly as you would have hoped and recognise that a number of factors contributed to your overall experience. I am sure the next time you fly with easyJet you'll have a far better experience, we do aim to make travel as easy for our customers as possible but recognise that on occasion there is room for improvement

Instead of a computer-generated reply this seems a sensitive response. Of course the acid test will be if your travel experience with them improve esp when it comes to baggage allowance
latest report
Does anyone have recent experiences paying JUST for ski carriage, and stuffing clothes, skis, boots into one large ski bag?

My wife is off next week for a weekend and I've been trawling easyjet site but cannot find anything ( I am sure it was there) which says you cannot put clothes in the ski bag....

from here she appears to get a 32kg allowance
http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4039

You pay for Baggage allowance
0 bags,1 sporting item • total allowance 1 item @ 32kg
• this item must be a genuine sporting good as defined

Same page also says she can take boots on as hand luggage....

If ski boots are being carried without skis they can be accepted either within your normal standard hold baggage allowance, within your standard hand baggage allowance or as a sporting equipment item whichever is the more convenient option.
snow conditions
kitenski, I can't find it either (about the clothes in with skis) and it was definitely there before, this is good news Smile
snow report
kitenski,
Quote:

this item must be a genuine sporting good as defined

and from the EJ page
Sporting equipment is defined as:

• Bicycles
• Golf equipment (excluding golf shoes)
• Skis (including boots and poles)
• Snowboards
• Surfboards
• Wind surfers
• Hang-gliders/paragliders
• Sporting firearms
• Diving equipment (Gas or air cylinders are not permitted)
• Sporting wheelchairs
• Wake boards
• Kite surf equipment

so does it mention clothes?
snow report
cad99uk wrote:
kitenski,
Quote:

this item must be a genuine sporting good as defined

and from the EJ page
Sporting equipment is defined as:

• Bicycles
• Golf equipment (excluding golf shoes)
• Skis (including boots and poles)
• Snowboards
• Surfboards
• Wind surfers
• Hang-gliders/paragliders
• Sporting firearms
• Diving equipment (Gas or air cylinders are not permitted)
• Sporting wheelchairs
• Wake boards
• Kite surf equipment

so does it mention clothes?

No, but does it say the sporting goods are all that is allowed in the bag?
snow report
It definitely used to say that you could not pack clothing in sports equipment bags, now it would appear that EJ have removed that statement from the website.
latest report
kitenski wrote:

Same page also says she can take boots on as hand luggage....

If ski boots are being carried without skis they can be accepted either within your normal standard hold baggage allowance, within your standard hand baggage allowance or as a sporting equipment item whichever is the more convenient option.

Hallelujah rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy