Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet baggage query - sorry!

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry- another one, but I can't find an answer online.

Just finalising my packing. We are 3 people and have booked and paid for 3 hold bags but can we take just 2 and still have the 60kg total weight or do we have to take 3 actual pieces? I need the full weight (to subsidise the the ski equipment bags) but I don't actually need the space (and would save the extra few kgs of the bag itself) and so two bags would be easier to handle.

Thanks for any input snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah, You cannot have more than 20Kg in one bag
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cynic wrote:
sarah, You cannot have more than 20Kg in one bag

You can - an individual piece can weigh up to 32kg, and you can distribute weight however you like between your allowance (unlike Ryanair who have a max of 15kg per bag) - but I'm not sure whether that applies to not taking one bag at all I'm not sure - I'd be surprised if it did to be honest, as extra weight in a bag is £21 for 3kg. If you're taking skis you have 32kg per person to distribute how you like.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andy from embsay, If you have a ski bag purchased also, if this is what is asked you are correct.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I understand about combining weights between passengers on the same booking and that is what I want to do. I want all my weight allowance purchased but in fewer bags. Max weight is 32kg for one item though they recommend 23kg, I know this. I have 6 pieces booked and paid for, I want to take 4.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sarah, it seems entirely logical that you should be able to book 3 bags of 20kg and take 2 of 30kg - but then you wonder why they'd charge you £21 for an extra 3kg (which I think is more than a bag?). If the issue is number of bags to carry, then to be on the safe side could you check 3 bags, one of which is small and will fit inside one of the others when you're going to and from the airport?

Cynic, you could also book 2 bags and take one of 30kg and one of 10kg - you don't have to have ski/bike bags included.

It's a pain that they don't have an email address - I want to confirm in writing that a ski bag plus a boot bag is one piece of sports equipment (which several people have said).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been told a hold bag is 20kg. Anything more is charged. Cabin baggage meant to be 10kg or under. If you pay the ski carriage you have a total of 12kg which can be a boot bag and ski bag - as long as their combined weight is 12kg or under.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy from embsay, Yep, your thinking is right. Just been Through now, they wanted 3 pieces not 2. Probably same for ski equipment too they probably wanted the three pieces booked. I think we confused the girl in the end,we checked one boot bag as a hold bag and then only two pieces of ski kit. We had a back up plan of an empty bag in the car boot. To be sure though in future, in order to get max weight I think they expect max pieces. Also saw a lot of people repacking at the desk, they were hot on weight checking. So in conclusion you can split the weight how you like across the bags but they do expect you to carry every item you booked.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sarah, it is 40kg max per booking (or 44kg if you have a ski bag as well) http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage buying extra bags doesn't get you extra weight in the wonderful world of low cost airlines! Its why me and the kids are on separate bookings with Easyjet for our ski trip, a ski bag each and 64kg.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SnoMonkey wrote:
I've been told a hold bag is 20kg. Anything more is charged.

No, that's not right (and a perfect example of how confusing this is!)

From EJ's website: For example, two passengers with a bag each may carry 20kg of luggage each, but if you wish to put 18kg in one bag and 22kg in the other, then that’s okay with us.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 26-12-12 19:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davkt wrote:
sarah, it is 40kg max per booking (or 44kg if you have a ski bag as well) http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage buying extra bags doesn't get you extra weight in the wonderful world of low cost airlines! Its why me and the kids are on separate bookings with Easyjet for our ski trip, a ski bag each and 64kg.

Are you sure about that? So if you booked a holiday for 5 people with 5 bags they could only weigh 8kg per bag? Surely not...

I can see that for each piece of sports equipment you book you only get another 12kg per person (but apparently that doesn't apply to bikes - fortunately my brother had printed the relevant bit of the internet when he flew with them) - but are you sure that if you booked three people, each with a bag and a ski bag they wouldn't all get 32kg?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah, would they have let you book a boot bag in as part of a single item of sports equipment (ie a ski bag and a boot bag = 1)?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andy from embsay, Seems to be what the Easyjet site says, and have seen people loose the argument with checkin staff last year when however many in the party (family of about 7) each with a hold bag booked were told it still only meant 40kg total as they were all on one booking.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davkt wrote:
andy from embsay, Seems to be what the Easyjet site says, and have seen people loose the argument with checkin staff last year when however many in the party (family of about 7) each with a hold bag booked were told it still only meant 40kg total as they were all on one booking.

I'll be able to tell you in Feb - 4 of us, 4 bags and a ski bag. I'll be flabbergasted if they tell me I can only have 40kg between 4. I can see why that diagram on the EJ site might make you think that but they only have two in the diagram.

In fact - just checked my booking:

"4 Hold bag(s) per flight between all passengers combined

The 4 passenger(s) in this booking may check in a combined total of 4 hold bag(s) for each flight on this booking. The total hold weight must not exceed 80 kg."

So it's 20kg per person. Phew! You're right, it's not obvious but it is stated pretty clearly on the booking.

Edit: it's also pretty clear in your link when I read it properly:

"Each passenger who pays for a hold bag can take up to 20kg of luggage."
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry for the garbled typing last night from the phone!

andy from embsay, no I dont believe they will let you have a boot bag and a ski bag as one single item of sports equipment, they actually say on the website that you can pack boots in with skis or in with hold baggage. The impressions I got last night was that the girl really wanted the booked 3 hold bags and the 3 booked ski equipments. I can see why, obviously if you buy a hold bag and don't use it but try to use the weight over other items you are effectively buying 'cheap' excess baggage.
snow report
There must be a "University" that does a degree in EasyJet Luggage Studies or if not, there should be one. Tuitions fees of £9k x 3 looks like a bargain if we all chip in. rolling eyes
snow conditions
alti - dude wrote:
There must be a "University" that does a degree in EasyJet Luggage Studies or if not, there should be one. Tuitions fees of £9k x 3 looks like a bargain if we all chip in. rolling eyes

But they are absolutely clear on their website (unlike their check in staff) that your bike bag can be as heavy as you like - unlike Jet2 who make you squeeze it under 20kg. Which you have almost no hope of with a mountain bike unless you wrap it in clingfilm.
snow report
andy from embsay, what's the rule on boots in hand luggage?
snow conditions
This poses a problem, I thought because it said ski carriage includes boots, I thought it would be alright to take them in the boot bag. I'm not putting them in my ski bag, they won't fit in there and I won't have much space for clothing if I put them in my hold bag!
latest report
alti - dude, no boots in hand baggage but happily nothing about helmets, which I'll be packing it in along with my gloves and goggles!
latest report
And herein lies the problem - I've lost count of the times I've flown with people who take their boots as hand baggage, and very obviously, by using a boot bag, and they've never been questioned. So the EasyJet T&Cs are just general guides but it depends on how the staff feel on the day.

I still think there is a degree in here somewhere Laughing
ski holidays
RichardB, 12kg (extra to your 20kg) for boots and skis, boots go in with skis if you have a suitable ski bag or in with your main luggage if not. You can't take an extra boot bag. Unless you book 2 ski equipments (If you can) then you can take one ski bag, one boot bag and your 20kg hold bag if booked.

alti - dude, No boots in hand luggage on easy jet now.

Also no clothes to be packed with ski equipment now which makes the old 1 ski carriage, 1 32kg coffin bag filled with everything a bit more difficult.

But I agree it is probably down to the check in person on the day.
ski holidays
Wouldn't it be easier to email Easyjet?
ski holidays
I still think it's rather confusing/mismanaged. I travelled a couple of weeks ago from Gatwick and plenty of people were carrying on boots, in obvious branded boot bags.

I crammed everything into my ski bag (came in at 27kg); skis, boots, poles, clothes and that wasn't questioned at check in. I was prepared in case they said I couldn't do this by packing a holdall as well.

Once my bag was weighed at check-in I was told to take it over to the oversized baggage area. On route, I offloaded all my heavy stuff I'd packed into my back pack to save me carrying it on the flight so it weighed in at well over 30kg.
snow report
Gainz wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to email Easyjet?

I'd love to as I have a query about baggage, but they don't have an email address on their website (well not one I can find anyway).
ski holidays
andy from embsay, I have always had an answer using this

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/ask
ski holidays
cad99uk, thanks! Not sure how I've not found that before. Wood/Trees etc etc
snow report
In each of the past 3 or 4 years we have flown EJ from Liverpool to GVA with a pair of ski boots in each of two hand luggage bags. There has never been any query at either end of the journey. As has been said before, it's the inconsistency of the 'rules' or guidelines, which cause the problems and the regular asking of this question
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boosterfaceman,

So im assuming you paid for ski carriage @ 32kg and no hold bag, just hand luggage?

This is what im doing in 3 weeks time on my personal EJ booking.

Last year i tried the same on a booking with my brother(he had paid for a hold bag only - 20kg) and i,d paid for ski carriage only.(my ski bag weighed 20kg+)I was hoping to try and get up to 32kg as last year the EJ site had a illustration that one person + skis + 32kg

This did not work as the check in staff said I was overweight, as there was one hold bag @20kg(my brothers) and one ski carriage(mine)on one booking it would only entitle me to an extra 12kg.I then had to pay extra to book my hand luggage into the hold to up my weight allowance up to 32kg.(20 +12kg)

The lesson is separate bookings = 32kgs with ski carriage, if not its only an extra 12kg regardless of whether you have booked a hold bag or not.

Caveat that you should not have clothing etc inside your ski bag still appies although ive never had anyone check in many many EJ flights.
latest report
Just got back from Zermatt today, flying with EJ. Anyhow, between 4 of us we had 101.6kg going out and 98kg coming back, including skis and boots.

Perhaps the weights and measures or trading standards department may like to look at the scales at Liverpool John Lennon.
It would be interesting to see how many airports have fully calibration certificates for their weighing equipment.
snow report
Well I've changed my packing plans, not bothering with boot bag, just putting the boots in my hold bag wich is a 80 litre duffel style suitcase, pleasantly surprised at how much stuff I can fit in it! Putting my helmet, goggles and gloves in my backpack.
snow report
Interestingly I've had an email from Easyjet saying:

"Dear Andy,

Thank you for your e-mail. I am glad to know that you chose easyJet as your travel partner.

I am pleased to confirm that you can carry skis and ski poles in two different bags. Let me confirm that though it is carried in two separate bags, you would be charged for it as one sports equipment."

Now they've mixed up poles and boots so I've asked for clarification, but assuming I get it that's good news. More room in my hold bag for pants.
ski holidays
andy from embsay, Result ... ish
snow report
andy from embsay, sounds good. It's contrary to what it says on their website but if you get a written response then they can't argue with that at check in Very Happy
snow conditions
sarah wrote:
andy from embsay, sounds good. It's contrary to what it says on their website but if you get a written response then they can't argue with that at check in Very Happy

But I don't think it is contrary to their website - it's just that the website isn't specific about number of bags (unlike Jet2, for example, who are very clear that you've paid for one bag of sports stuff). EJ say that you can take "an item" of sports equipment, which equals skis/poles/boots - hence my question. I have no doubt if you turned up with a ski bag and a boot bag without the relevant printout then you'd end up having a row, but assuming they send me another email with it clearly set out I'm going to give it a go.

Assuming I get it I'm happy to PM it to anyone else who wants a copy.
ski holidays
andy from embsay, to be honest, I'm happier putting my boots in my case as it means I have only 2 items to reclaim at Geneva. I'm travelling alone so its a lot less hassle for me.

In fact, I weighed my case nearly fully packed, it was less than 20kg and my Ski bag was less than 10kg.
snow report
RichardB wrote:
andy from embsay, to be honest, I'm happier putting my boots in my case as it means I have only 2 items to reclaim at Geneva. I'm travelling alone so its a lot less hassle for me.

In fact, I weighed my case nearly fully packed, it was less than 20kg and my Ski bag was less than 10kg.

I've got a section for boots in my big bag, so if it'll all go in I'll not bother with the boot bag - but when you start putting shovels and avi gear in, as well as clothes, helmet (which I've bought for the first time this year) it might be a bit tight.
latest report
andy from embsay, Thats a lot of stuff! Shocked

I rarely venture off piste so I don't have all that, however, I have just bought a new backpack, a real good one that I can ski with. My helmet, gloves and goggles fit in perfectly and not too big and clunky either! snowHead
snow report
RichardB, can you get a bag with a helmet in the hand luggage gauge though? Ironically my avi gear's in my rucsac so that tends to go in my hold bag as I think they might have a problem with a metal shovel in the cabin. If you can get a helmet (along with cameras/laptops/ipads) in your hand luggage I'll do that.
snow report
andy from embsay, Well looking at easyjet's dimentions, I see no problems for my rucksack and thats with my helmet, gloves, goggles, portable games console and camera in it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy