Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where shall we go this time!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there I've been skiing a few time, and looking to go again in January 2013 but I'm not really sure where to go, obviously the main priority is that there's lots of the white stuff, and second that the resort is not over priced. I've been to Bulgaria twice before 8 years ago and loved it but I want something different now. What do you guys suggest?

Also would like to take our own equipment so will need advice for the best place to get boots and skis? Is it better to go to a shop and get it all fitted correctly or is it best to get it on the net (consider I dont know anything about boots or ski's)
Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And another wallet can be heard screaming Shocked

Boots first and get them fitted. If you can get to Bicester, CEM (Solutions for Feet) is a good if not probably the best to sort those for you and he'll provide you with appropriate goods and not what gives him the best return, Fitting and footbeds are on top of boot price and more than worth the cost. Don't buy skis yet, You need experience to decide what will suit you best and what terrain you prefer. TKMax and Decathlon (ALDI & LIDLE too if they have anything left) for clothing. There are loads of threads in Equipment re. dressing yourself.

Don't buy boots on the net . . . !

welcome to penury wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Philib, Buy some nice Spyder or Schoffel or Kjus save on the boots and skis by going on a Club Med holiday where good kit will be supplied for you Voila.

At your stage buy good secondhand boots cheap say £50 max on eBay put a foot bed in them, if they dont suit sell them on and buy some more.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Philib wrote:
Hi there I've been skiing a few time, and looking to go again in January 2013 but I'm not really sure where to go, obviously the main priority is that there's lots of the white stuff, and second that the resort is not over priced. I've been to Bulgaria twice before 8 years ago and loved it but I want something different now. What do you guys suggest?

Austria is a big step up from Bulgaria in terms of the skiing without being too horrendous a step up in price (unless you go to Ischgl or Lech Smile )

Quote:

Also would like to take our own equipment so will need advice for the best place to get boots and skis? Is it better to go to a shop and get it all fitted correctly or is it best to get it on the net (consider I dont know anything about boots or ski's)
Cheers

It is pretty well essential to get boots properly fitted, so never buy those over the web. If you have tried a few skis and know which you want, then you could but those over the web, although even there if they don't come with integrated bindings, you will probably be better off getting those fitted at a shop.

If you are at all limited in budget, own boots is way more important than own skis. But go to a decent shop, and be honest with the bootfitter about your ability and skiing style. The right boots will make your skiing much more enjoyable, the wrong ones will make it a misery.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My local ski shop seems to have a good selection of boots and some good offers in the sale. Do these prices seem about right to you guys?

http://www.landaustore.co.uk/search/ski%20dept/-/womens/1/-/all

http://www.landaustore.co.uk/search/ski+dept/-/mens/1/-
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you wondered why I linked the women's department its because im going with the Mrs. should of maybe told you that at the beginning.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for getting boots first.

+1 for getting them properly fitted

+1 for hiring skis for the present
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Philib, They seem only to keep Salomon, OK they fit all but? The skis are not cheap Lords and Shogun are last years no longer made so offer a lot less if you are going for either of them. Do you have a Snow and Rock local? They will have a better range of boots in so far that they keep other manufacturers and you can try a bigger range on.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wasnt planning on getting ski's a the moment and I was going to get some salomon's anyway. Will check out snow and rock as well though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just had a look at prices and we are torn between passo tonale and Livingo. Wondered if anyone had any experience of any of these destinations.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Getting boots good idea if you are going to be a regular skier, you can take them on as hand luggage on planes and much less stressful renting skis as opposed to skis+boots if arriving late on a saturday.

But I wouldn't get skis unless you are going to be out 6+ weeks per year. Why?

They cost a fortune to bring on planes
They change and there could be completely new types of skis in a couple of years
You will have to get them serviced and will prob end up renting skis for a day every other week you are out there + lost time going in and out of ski shops (unless you can do all that yourself)
As you progress you will probably want 2-3 pairs (carving, powder etc) as opposed to renting skis that suit conditions or changing them every day if you want
You will be paranoid about going over rocks etc
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Philib wrote:
Just had a look at prices and we are torn between passo tonale and Livingo. Wondered if anyone had any experience of any of these destinations.

Both very similar and there've been a couple of threads about then very recently. Which boils down to:

Both have longish transfers.
Both are literally a very short stumble to the lifts.
Both have masses of green/blue beginner early intermediate slopes.
Both have very good food.
Both have reasonably priced booze but Livigno is tax exempt and can be very cheap in the supermarket and for other italian stuff like shoes, clothes etc. . . . keep an eye on yes missus wink
Nightlife in both is gentle.
Both can be skied out in two days if all you want to do is hammer on for miles.
Both can be very cold and exposed when the weather closes in but PT has a gondola link down the valley to great tree bound skiing in the next town.

Both are places to go and have a 'holiday' with skis rather than a 'skiing' holiday. I love Livigno and greatly like Passo Tonale and you should like either.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cynic wrote:
Philib, Buy some nice Spyder or Schoffel or Kjus save on the boots and skis by going on a Club Med holiday where good kit will be supplied for you Voila.

At your stage buy good secondhand boots cheap say £50 max on eBay put a foot bed in them, if they dont suit sell them on and buy some more.

Club Med do supply ski equipment but at a price. It is the only thing that is not included in their all inclusive holiday. In case you don't know they are approx. double the price of the discounted internet traders(Skiset, Intersport etc.) To be fair they often have very good kit and the convenience of having the fitters in your boot room is great. But a group of four will be paying at least £200 more by using them instead of a local ski hire shop.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
patricksh, +1. If I had bought skis when I started, I'd be on my third or fourth pair by now or still on 2m giants and not carving. For one or two weeks a year just rent skis... If you get Fitted boots try them on the snow dome before you go on holiday.... My pal had terrible trouble even after going to
Profeet, and still had to rent... But then he does have hobbit feet....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Got some boots now guys. Now just need to decide where to go and how much to spend. The Mrs want to go snowbombing but that in April and I dont know if I can wait that long lol.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy