Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why Have Skis Gone up to Ludicrous Prices?

Poster: A snowHead
Skis were say £400 to £500 for something special, now manufacturers in a Europe wide recession are trying it on with £600 plus ranges (Volkl £1100) and some from small manufacturers who from past tries have not made consistent products. Understandable for a full race ski with a high rate binding but this is the price of just a ski. So message to ski manufacturers you will not sell a lot as in the 90s recession; so reduce the prices or you will have a lot of returns and big reductions in the sales.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wonder how much of it is economies of scale. They are expecting to sell fewer skis, so make fewer skis, so they cost more, per ski, to make. Also, as there's more and more smaller companies springing up at the top end of the market, they are losing out on the scale even more.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
not sure if it is trying it on or just a sign of the times (not the recession, more the cost of materials, transport, labour etc) much of the problem will end up being passed on the the retailer as usual, not much sale or return goes on in the ski industry (well at least not with the companies i deal with) so the retailer either puts them in the sale if they don't sell or get left with some funky bits of kit.....

when i started working in the ski industry in the mid 80's there was a UK market of around 80k pairs now it is around 20k pairs per year, blame it on what you like, increasing prices, air line baggage costs, servicing costs or just less people going skiing

on the boot front prices have risen a little but not anywhere in the same league, in the early 90's a top end boot was around £400, this year a top end boot is around £400-£450 depending on brand

asking around a few people i know, top end skis are not the problem, the two types of things that are doing well are boots and skis at the upper end of the ranges, and the two types of stores that are coin ok are the internet/or bricks n mortar pile it high sell it cheap merchants or the service providers selling more upper end product, the middle ground is what is being squeezed as in many industries and in life in general... the middle masses are the ones being squeezed in terms of income and expenditure
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM, +1 from me
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking at old pricelists for race kit I don't see all that much of an increase, some brands are unchanged in 5 years.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM, The iconic Dynastar Omesoft early/mid 80's I remember being half a month's salary at £179, plus Look ZR bindings at £119. Salomon 9000 2S Equipes were £350 plus bindings mid 90's, not to mention skiboots being similar prices to skis. I reckon in real terms of ski cost against income skis are relatively cheaper. Plus the internet has given people access to discounts that never even existed before. Then there's Ebay, ............... there's real deals to be had there.

CEM, has it spot on. Salomon SX92 Equipes were £189 when first out late 80's early 90's. Relatively speaking boots are not that expensive. More importantly the quality of production, materials used, finished articles are way much better than 25/30 years ago when Carbon Fibre and Kevlar were first being used in manufactur of skis.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skis seem to be full price for about four months a year, outside of high season they are often 30-50% discounted. The hand made stuff justifies a premium but a lot of skis are cheaply mass produced.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm looking at eBay over here and there are loads of 'new' 2011/12 season skis for far less than ½ price. I think the market is very skewed at the moment and I think there may be a chance of seeing some of the big boys in a bit of a retrenchment. I think CEM and Spyderjon have the best business choices in developing a small, high quality niche market. I would hate to be a ski retailer . . . the BS level needed for sales must be up there at the real estate level wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, so much more enjoyable to be in a niche business, both as an operator and as a client.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, +1...................... Ebay has some great skis and decent %age off. Scott Venture 2012/13 £250 is one of them. Salomon LX 800's incl Z10 bindings, £200.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, Plus now loads of "Storm" skis on offer at £100 - ish.

Ebay is a dumping ground for off-loading excess stock, and sometimes it really is a steal. The Storm Superforce Ti, nice ski. snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque... I didn't think you could get any gear at a decent price in N.America... I know for certain that the thought of getting any touring stuff is just stupid!... much better to order it from Germany!

It is very much the way to advertise and sell this years skis at stupid prices and then have them sub half-price just before the next season for us locals to buy...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimastaaah, Yep, chatting to Andy Storm stopped producing at the end of last season hence all the stuff on ebay, still great fun skis though!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cynic, we are not in a recession at the moment. We are at the beginning of the next boom, we just haven't quite recognised it yet. In a couple of years time we will look back at end 2011 being the turning point.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
emwmarine, You must be in the labour party, food banks are booming.
ski holidays
Cynic wrote:
emwmarine, You must be in the labour party, food banks are booming.

Can you get skis on JSA??????????
snow report
skimastaaah, You know what they say you have to be rich to ski and poor to teach
ski holidays
Cynic wrote:
................ So message to ski manufacturers you will not sell a lot as in the 90s recession; so reduce the prices or you will have a lot of returns and big reductions in the sales.

QED............ it's not just the rich who buy skis! Laughing
ski holidays
I got a pair of 11/12 skis with bindings for 300 quid and they're deemed upper-range of skis. I think it might just be a case of shopping around, and as usual, getting last years skis instead?
snow report
skimastaaah,

I think you are confusing the iconic Omeglass II which iirc was replaced by the even more iconic Course in 1984 which would have been mounted with Look 99RS, with the not very iconic Course mk3 which would have been mounted with ZR (or similar in that series)

The rocking rig for ZRs of course, was to put them on mk1 Rossi 7S, as any fule knos.

[/pedantry]
latest report
flangesax wrote:
Masque... I didn't think you could get any gear at a decent price in N.America... I know for certain that the thought of getting any touring stuff is just stupid!... much better to order it from Germany!

It is very much the way to advertise and sell this years skis at stupid prices and then have them sub half-price just before the next season for us locals to buy...

If you're just looking at European made skis like Dynastar, Atomic, Elan, etc. then yes you don't see too many last season 'new' bargains . . . but they do turn up and you just need to keep your eyeballs peeled. But don't forget America is the land of the next best thing so you'll also find LOADS of little used skis like B5 Metrons for 75$ Shocked

There are also more interesting objects like:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Atomic-190cm-GS-World-Cup-Race-Stock-skis-/290833883365?pt=Skiing&hash=item43b70ce0e5 for someone to kill themselves with.

One thing about America is that EVERYTHING with any perceived value gets thrown onto eBay or Craigslist. Americans recycle like crazy if there's a buck in it. Very Happy
snow report
under a new name, I had the Dynasty Airflow in 190cms mounted with Look 89's. You are right about the ZR's.......... they went on my 200cms Course SL's............... the ones with the fluourescent pink bases. snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:
Why Have Skis Gone up to Ludicrous Prices?

Simply because they can Wink Alpine skiing was always more of a fancy sport for people with money... even here in middle Europe. Probably some 30 years ago it wasn't exactly so in Slovenia, since everyone and their dogs were skiing, and most likely it's still not so in Austria, but everywhere else it is. Just consider other prices (40+eur for day ticket...) and you soon realize skiing is not for people on social support.
Materials, labor etc. has nothing to do with it. Believe it or not (no, I'm not telling source of this info and company name), but pair or WC race skis (not mass production skis, but real race stock skis, which are even a bit more expensive) cost certain company 70eur/pair. That's material, labor cost etc.. So price tag of 1000+eur for such pair has nothing to do with material cost etc.
Based on this, only explanation is, because they can, and they still sell enough, that they don't need to lower their prices.
latest report
primoz, +1
ski holidays
Masque, there is a good reason that B5 Metrons are $75!

More of a tongue in cheek comment in regards to the Sprt Conrad thread over yonder.....

I'm searching for a second hand touring set-up for the misses... about 160cm ish ideally... no joy at the mo.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy