Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ebook about the life of a chalet host

Poster: A snowHead
Awesome thanks!! Apologies if you find a couple of typos as my proofreader clearly missed some!! Will get them sorted this weekend! Enjoy.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks Lockkeeper - really appreciate that. So happy with all of the support its getting on here!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ChaletBoy1980, bought it, read it, enjoyed it - sounds like you had a blast.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Awesome thanks Jocrad! Was awesome but hard work! Have a great New Year!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ChaletBoy1980, this is turning into a bit of a love in wink

I lived in Melbourne for a bit, worked out on Queens Road overlooking Albert Park.

Sundays were the highlight. BYO booze and Dim Sum at The Sharks Fin Inn on Little Bourke Street, then the afternoon spent drinking red wine and playing snooker at "Fast Eddie Charlton's" snooker Club.

Happy days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I need to check those places out but running out of time as we are upping sticks and moving to Queensland next week!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You have my Money,

currently reading something else but will start this next of save for my holiday on 20th Jan!
Can't beat reading about snow when in snow!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Awesome thanks rusty, hope you enjoy and have a great trip to the snow.

This is the worst part of Australia, when everyone is heading off to ski or board and I'm languishing in 35+ degree temps! Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi guys. Just a quick one to say that I have updated the book in order to reduce the paragraph sizes to better fit the Kindle screen and correct some typos that had been found.

I really do appreciate the support its received on here. One thing I was hoping to ask is that, if those who have bought and hopefully enjoyed it had a chance to leave a brief review on Amazon it would be a massive help and I would be seriously grateful.

Thanks again guys.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ChaletBoy1980, does the update automatically get sent to an already purchased copy??
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To be honest I'm not too sure! Am a bit new to all of this Kindle malarky. I guess you could delete it from your Kindle and then download it again as it will know that you already purchased it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've purchased it to my Christmas-present Kindle - only the second book I've downloaded. Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just bought - for £1.91 it would be rude not to!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's just what I thought. Youve got my £1.91 ChaletBoy1980, And hopefully it might put me off wanting to go work for a season before my knees give out.

How much of that does a new author see? I suppose you'll have to sell a few to make your first million.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ChaletBoy1980, quick google reveals the following, however your book doesn't appear in the update list...

Quote:
Don't forget to do the book updates on your Manage Your Kindle pages. Earlier tonight I had 3 pages of them even though I did them only a week ago, and I've just looked again and there were another 8 to be done.
For people who don't know you'll find this when you go to your Manage Your Kindle pages on Amazon and in the box with the drop down arrow right above your book listings there is an option for updates.
ski holidays
Hi kitenski - thanks for that, am a bit of a luddite!

Not sure why my nerw version isn't in the update list as when I preview it the changes I've made are visible.

Also, can I please again ask if people have a chance to post a review on Amazon after reading it I'd be very grateful but of course no worries if not!
snow report
Great read, well worth the relatively small asking price Smile
snow report
Oh I'd much prefer a paper copy! The joys of holidays are getting to read a paper book and be away from screens (yes I know einks are good but I don;t have one, only an iPad).

Reviews sounds good though to might make an exception to my 'no reading on the ipad' rule.
latest report
I've read it, and enjoyed it, but I found it a little short and I was surprised that the social life didn't feature more prominently - let's face it, a single man doing a season at 31 has three things in mind: snow, drinking, and sex, except not necessarily in that order. But based on this book it seems that cleaning, cooking and unease at supervision managed to wipe out almost all of those. Still, it does make it clear that anyone believing that a resort job involves 5 hours on the piste every day is somewhat deranged Happy
ski holidays
ChaletBoy1980, Eventually finished it...found it a bit of a slog... Thought there'd be much more partying and less complaining, not sure what you expected... Sorry but I wanted to hear about the wild nights out with the locals...and that would've made up for having to look after guests... And the skiing...I expected more tall snow stories... And how on earth did you not know the piste map like the back of your hand at the end of the season, we usually try to crack it in a week or two...
Sorry but you asked for feedback and it didn't cost too much.
It has put me off a bit, but seeing the seasonaires partying in some resorts, suspect you didn't tell all or missed out.
snow report
Will be buying this ready for my ski trip in 4 weeks time, there's a distinct lack of good books based around skiing! Looking forward to reading it, we stayed in Les Carroz for 3 years on the trot so the slopes will be familiar to me at least! Good luck with it Smile
snow conditions
Would you like to read the family chalet version of "Chalet boy" set in Chamonix Mont Blanc? It seems Andy Smith and I chose the same path, write the same way and endured a similar hell, and have published books on it at the same time. If you enjoyed "Chalet Boy" (as I am about to having just downloaded it from kindle) why not try Making the Break by Sarah Yuen too.
http://www.amazon.com/Making-The-Break-ebook/dp/B009GJRF6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361598692&sr=8-1&keywords=making+the+break+sarah+yuen&tag=amz07b-21
Website is: http://sarahyuenmakingthebreak.wordpress.com/
Hope you like it. Good luck with yours Andy. Just from the free excerpts I love it already!!!
latest report
Welcome to SHs Sarah

Your link takes you toe the US amazon site rather than uk

Might I also suggest, like other authors have done on here previously , you could make it free, or very cheap for a short while, then you will gets lots of readers who will give you good reviews like cheletboys and Alex' War and Piste ?
snow conditions
Ps does anyone know how to transfer a kindle book ( Alex's War and Piste in this case) from my wife's iPad to mine
I down,landed it to hers when Alex was offering it free, before I had my own iPad ?
ski holidays
sev112, http://calibre-ebook.com/ will sort out most transfers and format conversions.
latest report
ChaletBoy1980, I downloaded it to my kindle & read it in whilst skiing in Meribel in January, I really enjoyed it! Very envious that you had the bottle to do it & I dont rolling eyes
snow conditions
WayneC,
Quote:

ChaletBoy1980, Eventually finished it...found it a bit of a slog... Thought there'd be much more partying and less complaining, not sure what you expected... Sorry but I wanted to hear about the wild nights out with the locals...and that would've made up for having to look after guests... And the skiing...I expected more tall snow stories... And how on earth did you not know the piste map like the back of your hand at the end of the season, we usually try to crack it in a week or two...
Sorry but you asked for feedback and it didn't cost too much.
It has put me off a bit, but seeing the seasonaires partying in some resorts, suspect you didn't tell all or missed out.

ChaletBoy1980, that pretty much sums up my view on the book too.

It was a mildly enjoyable read, but short and a bit dissapointing with a lot of mundane events. All you seemed to do was complain about guests, and be too tired to snowboard before suddenly declaring you had the best experience of your life in the final few pages.

Would have liked to have heard more about the snowboarding and more about other people. Basically seemed like rather than make the most of being in the mountains, you spent your free time with your best bud Dan having a 'chill' in your studio which wasn't very inspiring.

Also found the 'yeah, go be unconventional dude' rhetoric at the end a little funny as going to Vietnam, doing a ski season and then working in Oz are about the most standard non-coformist things to do. Very Happy
snow report
I enjoyed the book.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just come back to this after a few months away - thanks for all of the comments guys. I would have loved to be able to write more about the boarding and the parties, but it is an honest account of life in that particular resort and, unless you've been a chalet host, you would have no idea how tiring the job is! On the weeks we had kids in - we generally only had 4 hours between shifts which meant we simply couldn't get over to the far reaches of the resort and on days off you are so exhausted and grateful for a full night's sleep that it meant we missed a lot of boarding opportunities.

If I had the opportunity to do it again then I would go to a more lively resort and take on a different job for sure!

The 'rhetoric' at the end was not me suggesting that the things I have done are non-conformist and radical - they simply were for me given how I had been raised and the social group I was in at the time I decided to give the season a go.

Can't please everyone I guess but I'm still grateful for the feedback. Very Happy
snow conditions
Just bought a copy, can't wait to give it a read. Sadly, my chances of doing a season are all but diminished, but at least I can experience it through somebody else's eyes. Minus the sleep deprivation. And the hangovers.
snow conditions
Awesome - really hope you enjoy it!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy