Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bargain Avi Package

Poster: A snowHead
Blue Tomato have an Ortovox Patroller Digital plus shovel plus probe currently for 169.95 € inc free postage and if you use code xmas2012 you get a further 24 € off so a package for under £120.

I've not ordered from them before but have had a punt at the price, I don't need a tranceiver that often but that price is only about 5 days hire.

http://www.blue-tomato.com/en/welcome.bto
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not really a bargain. Thats an ancient and pretty crud by modern standards transceiver that needs a LOT of practice to become proficient at. There is a reason they are dumping them, Newer and better are coming down in price as more hit the market

Heck you can get a Pieps freeride for £99 from snowsafe, which is just as accurate to use and a lot easier, cheaper and smaller. Shovels and probes on ebay for a £10-15 if you look

Do your mates a favour, put another £100 in and get a package with a 3 antenae transciever (tracker 2, Ortovox zoom/3 etc) so you can find them much faster with the amount of practice most people put in. Or get a S1+ or Barryvox and find them first time and quickly with no practice at all
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Should clarify. I actaully own a patroller and a Freeride. Id rather my mates had the freeride if they were searching for me. OK, its range isnt as huge but its very easy to use
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From the website

"
The all-digital feature of the Patroller makes it very easy to use. The device is equipped with three antennas extremely precise in pinpointing and gives additional indication of multiple burials in a confined space.
"
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Your confusing the digital patroler with the old patroler. Two entirely different products. The digital patroler is full 3 antenna digital transceiver (basically an updated D3 ) the mistake I think ortovox did was still calling it patroler as folk keep thinking of it as the old patroler.

My wife has one and its very easy & quick to use, as being 3x digital

I have used blue tomato and have found them to be fine. With quick delivery.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 24-12-12 10:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The bleeper is fine IMO. If I was skiing with someone who had that shovel and probe I'd give them mine and take theirs though!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, I guess you're getting the tranceiver at a silly price with them free. Will upgrade them pretty quickly.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Your confusing the digital patroler with the old patroler. Two entirely different products. The digital patroler is full 3 antenna digital transceiver (basically an updated D3 ) the mistake I think ortovox did was still calling it patroler as folk keep thinking of it as the old patroler.

depthjunkie,

yes very correct the newer Patroller digital is actually the old D3 its a very good simple transceiver, but make sure you always have over 50% battery life on this model otherwise it will not search very well, it is pretty tough on battery life.

Arno, yep your not going to be able to probe more than 1.5 meters or dig anyone out with the basic shovel, unless your digging in very light dry snow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Claude B wrote:
Blue Tomato have an Ortovox Patroller Digital plus shovel plus probe currently for 169.95 € inc free postage and if you use code xmas2012 you get a further 24 € off so a package for under £120.

I've not ordered from them before but have had a punt at the price, I don't need a tranceiver that often but that price is only about 5 days hire.

I saw that on one of the google ads today. A bit sceptical as I'd never heard of them before.

Might wait and see what else is about though
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have used them for bits and bobs, no problems.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Claude B, bought bit and bobs too and never any issues
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, OH and I have both ordered - it's worth a punt at that price, and I can stop using the "no kit" excuse as my reason to stay on the groomed stuff. (My skis told me to do it. Something about wanting to go a-wandering...)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
adamantis, and about time too wink wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scottish Scrutineer wrote:
Claude B wrote:

I saw that on one of the google ads today. A bit sceptical as I'd never heard of them before.

Might wait and see what else is about though

If you mean Blue Tomato, they're absolutely fine.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ordered a BCA tracker, probe and shovel last night from Blue Tomato. Good enough price so that will be us kitted out for Feb/March. Just have to go and practice with the transceivers
ski holidays
These arrived today (well, 2 days ago, but I wasn't in to take delivery...).
One had a 240cm probe instead of the 200, and the other had a Beast (metal) shovel instead of the plastic. Bonus! Already have one metal shovel, so now I don't have to fork out again.
Well packaged, decent delivery time, and no questions asked about us ordering 2 to the same address both using the extra 24 euro discount. Beep beep!
snow conditions
madmole wrote:
Not really a bargain. Thats an ancient and pretty crud by modern standards transceiver that needs a LOT of practice to become proficient at. There is a reason they are dumping them, Newer and better are coming down in price as more hit the market

Heck you can get a Pieps freeride for £99 from snowsafe, which is just as accurate to use and a lot easier, cheaper and smaller. Shovels and probes on ebay for a £10-15 if you look

Do your mates a favour, put another £100 in and get a package with a 3 antenae transciever (tracker 2, Ortovox zoom/3 etc) so you can find them much faster with the amount of practice most people put in. Or get a S1+ or Barryvox and find them first time and quickly with no practice at all

Where are you finding these 15quid shovel/probe sets on eBay? Looked few days ago and cheapest shovel was £45 :/
snow report
Adamantis
I order the same set and also recieved a beast shovel and 240 eco probe...
Did wonder if it was a mistake, must have ran out of the package and honoured the order by upgrading!
Works out pretty good IMO for just over a £100.

Scott
ski holidays
Looks like its gone up now as this is closest i can see to what your saying.

http://www.blue-tomato.com/en/Avalanche-Transceiver/Ortovox-Patroller-Digital-Eco-240-Orange-II/product.bto?product=300752081
ski holidays
Lift faffer, I think it was a 24-hour flash sale thing - different product/bargain each day over Christmas.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy