Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ortovox M2 Avalanche transceiver - possible problems

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.pistehors.com has a 20 August 2005 report about possible problems with the Ortovox M2 Avalanche transceiver. Whilst pistehors outlines the issue, the link there to telemarktalk appears to give a lot more details.[/b]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I need to keep on top of this as I use this model. I haven't noticed any problems so far but....!!!!!!!

Thanks
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Adrian, well spotted, we use these models as well, watch the website for news.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.pistehors.com has more information added in a comment dated 2005-09-05. It also refers to http://www.ortovox.com where an Important Safety Announcement is given.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It appears that M1/M2 can have a new battery lid fitted FOC by Ortivox - they send a replacement to rectify this marked as such - so click on the last link from Adrian.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's information on the Ski Club website and I have copied this fuller information direct from the Ortovox website http://www.ortovox.com:

Important Safety Information on ORTOVOX m1 and m2 Avalanche Transceivers.
For 25 years ORTOVOX products have set the standard for excellence in quality, reliability and safety. As described below, this commitment will not change.

We have recently determined that under certain circumstances, due to variance in the size of AA (LR6) batteries, there is a chance that the batteries in an m1 and m2 avalanche transceiver may become dislodged as a result of a severe blow, resulting in a loss of power. Apparently, the international standard for AA (LR6) batteries allows for a significant variance in both the length and diameter of the battery. These variances allow for batteries that meet the standards, but which may lack a prominent negative terminal, which could allow the battery to dislodge. Please find more detailed information on the subject of batteries in avalanche transceivers by clicking here.

While the ORTOVOX m1 and m2 passed the European EN standard for shock resistance, battery dislodgment has been observed under testing conditions different from the European testing standard. There have been 3 reports of failure in the field – out of the nearly 100,000 beacons manufactured and sold world-wide. There have been no reports of injuries as a result of an Ortovox m1/m2 transceiver failing in the field.

In light of this news, ORTOVOX is offering a free exchange of the battery compartment lid for all m1 and m2 units. The new lid, which is specially marked to easily show that it is the new lid, reduces the tolerance and movement of the batteries within the battery compartment.

This retrofit applies to all m1 and m2 units regardless of the colour and year of manufacture. The retrofit does not involve the Ortovox x1 or f1 units. We highly recommend that you replace the battery compartment lid of your beacon and to choose batteries with a prominent negative terminal. For a new battery compartment lid please click here and fill out your address and indicate the colour of your device. ORTOVOX will send you a new battery compartment lid at no cost. This retrofit battery compartment can be easily installed on your own. Instruction for battery compartment lid retrofit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not just Ortovox. CHECK BATTERY FIT ON ALL TRANSCEIVERS
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Has anyone got a result on this? I am still waiting for mine...!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Same here. I registered for a replacement on their website immediatley the new broke and have heard nothing. Has anyone received a new lid?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
StanBowles,

I had alook at their website and I think they said they have about 100,000 bleeps to recall so I guess this will take a lot of time...and money..!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, just use Duracell or similar large&long batteries in the meantime.

Any leaves on the ground for practice yet?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex,

I have a plaster around it as well and I do use duracell. And no, I haven't 'practised with it this year, I'm afraid.

I didn't mean to imply they were recalling the Bleeps just that they have sold 100,000 of the models and will need to get round to sending out the lids for most, if not all. It is not likely to be quick, by all accounts..!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has anyone received their replacement battery compartment lid yet?
Better still, has anyone had any update on when the replacement parts will appear?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marmotte farcie,

Not me.... and I going out next week..!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy