Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Charger og Rictor?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all you snowheads.

I'm planning to buy myself a pair of skis and narrowed it down to Charger and Rictor.
I was aiming for Charger because of the side cut and the description of it being a 30/70 off/on piste ski and was about pull the trigger when I was adviced to go for Rictor...
Most of my time I spend on piste but like to have the opportunity to take shortcuts in between pistes and play in rough.
I'm no expert, being only 7 weeks "old" but I manage red and black fine.
Many of the reviews I have been reading says that Rictor is fast edge to edge and more forgiving that the Charger, and some states that is a better "newbie" ski?

The last couple of trip I'm been using a pair of Rossignol Scratch Sprayer FS which I got for free but find a bit slow and soft (I know which kind of ski it is but I don't have the courage for park Wink) so now I'm in the lookout for one of the K2's.

I'm 184 cm of height and 83 kilos and think that I should go for a 174cm or? Being 33 years old a having two small children I'm not in the best physical shape...

Please help another fool out Smile

Merry Christmas to all of you.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Deffo the Rictors. Got a pair and they are fab!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Tootie but compared to what? Smile
1-0 to Rictor.

But not sure my ski abilities is good enough for Rictors?

(sorry for my gramma and spelling)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
2-0 to the Rictor. Use mine mostly on piste. They like to be worked a bit for best effect, the "fast edge to edge" is true, or at least, if you're used to a skinny ski, you won't notice any sluggishness. Like skiing a 72mm underfoot that's actually 81mm, when on piste.
Wouldn't call them a n00b ski at all, but a relative n00b could skid anything and not tell the difference.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2-0 it is Smile

Thanks a lot Andy great to hear.
A single question? n00b?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bobbles, newbie

edit: oh and welcome to sH snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lol. I have just exhibited myself as total newbie Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would highly recommend the Rictors. I only managed 4 hours on them last year before they cut my knee open, severing my tendon which has required two operations to fix (the edges are sharp), but I will be trying them again in a weeks time!

548551_10150772862359603_265706965_n

555654_10150772861879603_1862457284_n
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ouch!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure I dare now wink

Not a good message to send my patients anyway (physiotherapist).
But 0-3 Rictor...

No one who goes for Charger?

Btw hope you are back on your feet soon.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skied the K2 Rictor last season. 2011/2012 model.
My very first time on a pair of fattish, all mountain skis and loved them very much.
Very stable on the sides and carved well on piste.
When skiing them, i did not feel the stiffness some people mentioned about them.
They do feel quite heavy and rigid in my hands though.
Have seen a pair of 2012/2013 model in a shop. They look great (no more green)!
Hope you are going to enjoy them as much as I did.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you for your input Snowpie.
Hmm.. quite heavy and rigid doesn't sound good to me. 4-5 years ago I tried a mid fat Dynastar (don't remember which one) and handed it after a short while because they was to heavy and not nimble at all - in my p.o.v.
But will the feel of the Charger be lighter and less rigid?

Agree on the colour, but I will go for a 2011/2012 model because of the price. I don't match in colours anyway Razz
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
K2 are heavy, but not as heavy as some (eg their Völkl cousins). A bit of weight is good, but they don't feel as heavy as the GS skis I used before. Would also say that they are reasonably nimble too, possibly something due to that early rise tip rocker? If anything, mine seem to lure me into starting the next turn too early - sometimes need a little bit of patience.

Charger will probably be a bit stiffer if it's more of a fast piste ski?

I say try to blag a pair to test.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree with Andy.
K2 are quite heavy. However, once you're on them, you don't feel their weight. Wonder if this is due to the rocker tip.
Skied a pair of Kastle MX88 just before the Rictor, and found them much heavier and stiffer. Enjoyed them but had to ride them really hard. The Kastle are unforgiving and will drive you to the direction they want. You need to be in control.
Tried Jam from Movement later this year, and they are really stiff even when I put all my weight on them. Mind you they are meant to skied by heavier skiers than me (I weigh 10 stones) if you need a reference point.
Whereas, the Rictor are so easy to steer I really felt the carving turn even on hard snow (not icy though). And they aren't even carving skis. Easy to control your speed, quick from edge to edge, to do hockey stop etc...
If you manage red/black fine and enjoy a bit of ruough on the side then they should be fine for you.
But again, it's all from my personal experience Razz
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Uhh patience can be a tough one Little Angel

I would normally test a few before buying, but my problem is that my short trip in January may be the only one for a period (getting a new junior in Feb.) and I don't like to test in Jan and then buy in April Wink Patience and a overloaded mind is not a fab. combination Very Happy

I think I should just go for a ski and be happy about it...

Thank you all guys. Most appreciated.
snow report
Btw Rictor it will be!

Great forum!!! snowHead
ski holidays
If you have problems getting hold of the Rictor the Fischer Motive 80 is also a very good ski.

http://www.testberichte.de/a/ski/magazin/skimagazin-5-2011/292790.html
snow report
Hi very similar requirements to me and i went for the k2 impact. to throw a spanner into it. also loved the salomon enduro. cant remember the model but was the middle one in the series.
ski holidays
Thanks DB but I have two diffent stores to choose from Razz
Only concern is 174cm or 167cm?
latest report
Would guess 174. I'm 188cm/100kg and got the 181cm version. Thought it might have been too long, and longer than I used to ski before (with the exception the the 195 Elans I got as rental skis one year), but it seems about right.
snow conditions
Mattiwilkin I haven't stumbled upon the Impact before you mentioned 'em but seems to me that it could be a alternative.
I will have a look into it but guess it will go for Rictor unless I find myself a much better offer Wink
snow report
Thanks again Andy
ski holidays
Bobbles wrote:
Thanks DB but I have two diffent stores to choose from Razz
Only concern is 174cm or 167cm?

The old rule of thumb was the ski should come up to somewhere between chin and forehead. The better the skier the longer the ski. Add in that piste performance skis are generally shorter and offpiste skis are generally longer, plus K2 measure their skis differently and rocker makes the effective edge shorter on piste. That should be enough to confuse anybody Toofy Grin

With your weight and requirements I'd be thinking about 174 or 181 cm. 167 cm is too short.
ski holidays
Superb DB.
174 it is me being a n00b snowHead
snow report
I agree, go with the 174. I am 196cm and 95kg and have the 181s. If you do take them off piste, better to have them slightly longer.
snow report
http://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/k2-impact-5550-er3-demo-binding-2013-174cm-ex-demo
Found these.
I managed to get new ones in summer for £245. Looking now i think that was a steal seen some @£749 ouch
ski holidays
Another test - tends to be the same few skis that come out top and the Rictor is one of them.

http://www.worldskitest.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75%3Aallmountain-201213&catid=11&Itemid=57&lang=de
latest report
Thanks Mattiwilkin but I rather add a few bucks and get a brand new 11/12 season ski (369 £).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now ordered a pair og Rictor 11/12. Looking forward to week 2 and a couple of days in Sölden L snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy