Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stuff to take and not to take when self catering

Poster: A snowHead
@bagginsmum, Oh no. Tried English wine and I much prefer French especially with my cheddar.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pedantica wrote:
@Mike-H, Shocked Keep running!

+1!! Sacrilege! Dont get me wrong, adore our British cheeses but when in rome you cant go wrong with the local stuff. With the exception of a tasty cheddar, most of our cheeseboards at home ()when we have them that is) usually contain french cheeses!

@Timg60 They are good, just bought a wicked little "betron" bluetooth speaker from amazon for the minute sum of £7. It's great, no more distorted iPhone music. [/quote]
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One more thing I have recently added to my ski holiday packing whether self catering or catered....

Over door hangers. You get a pack of 4 from the local £1 shop. I think they cost about £1. Most chalets and hotels do not have enough space to hang damp or sweaty clothes.

And cheddar is better than French stuff.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
re power leads. I have one of these which is very good for charging multiple usb items at once:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc%C2%AE-Portable-Smartphones-Bluetooth-Speakers/dp/B00EKDVGKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422446960&sr=8-1&keywords=multi+usb+power&tag=amz07b-21

So ew can have up to 5 ipads, phones, cameras all charging from the same unit on only one adaptor. And it's MUCH smaller than a 4 bar gang extension.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the subject of gadgets, I'd add a wifi hotspot thingy (that's the technical term)

It's the one device which logs onto chargeable wifi, then creates it's own hotspot which other devices can log onto. Which means that I can buy one weekly wifi pass and then we can all use it
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wifi is free here, and there are even 11 wifi areas around the mountain.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hells Bells, are you out there at the moment?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had to buy an extra euro plug adaptor this year to stop my kids fighting over who's changer was going to be plugged in. A 4 gang plug will be in my bag from now on.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@FiFi_Trixibell, I am.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells, edit - Ive just realised I had in my head La thuile as it was the last thread I was looking at........but your signature would appear to indicate you are in fact not in la thuile!!

Apologies, that probably seemed like a random comment which I now #realise it was. Definitely getting my wires crossed! Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After going to a catered chalet one year.... I now ALWAYS take 5 or 6 of the "Betty Crocker" readymix cakes/brownie mixes. I also take a silicon cake "tin" (flexible for the packing and non-stick). All you need to do with these mixes is add eggs and/or water. While one person makes breakfast I can be mixing the cakes. Then when we're eating breakfast the cake gets baked. Out of the oven before you leave for the day... and you can come home to a freshly baked cake each day!

My family and the others that we ski with were skeptical on the first day... but every year since then I've had the kids up EARLY so that they can do the mixing stage (also a handy way of getting teenagers out of bed!!!).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Sacrilege! Dont get me wrong, adore our British cheeses but when in rome you cant go wrong with the local stuff. With the exception of a tasty cheddar, most of our cheeseboards at home ()when we have them that is) usually contain french cheeses!

Well naturally, but I cannot resist this quote "Not even Wensleydale?"

What is interesting about this thread is some of the stuff that has been left off. What is wrong with:

A bread maker
A salad spinner
Baking potatoes
Fish oil
Marmite
7 frozen full english breakfasts
An egg slicer
Parsnips
Decent sized mugs
Electric fan heater
Washing up bowl
sandwich toaster
powdered milk
small packets of crisps
sewing kit (especially for people who are not experienced with sharp knifes)
A sense of adventure
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, pah, no pasta maker.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

A bread maker

Believe it or not we often take a bread maker on holiday though not to France.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Sacrilege! Dont get me wrong, adore our British cheeses but when in rome you cant go wrong with the local stuff. With the exception of a tasty cheddar, most of our cheeseboards at home ()when we have them that is) usually contain french cheeses!

Well naturally, but I cannot resist this quote "Not even Wensleydale?"

What is interesting about this thread is some of the stuff that has been left off. What is wrong with:

A bread maker
A salad spinner
Baking potatoes
Fish oil
Marmite
7 frozen full english breakfasts
An egg slicer
Parsnips
Decent sized mugs
Electric fan heater
Washing up bowl
sandwich toaster
powdered milk
small packets of crisps
sewing kit (especially for people who are not experienced with sharp knifes)
A sense of adventure

Laughing nearly spat my tea out then! no, not even wensleydale Toofy Grin

Also, my favourite essential I think I need to take from this list to put in my hold luggage is clearly tyhe parsnips. How could I forget! Oh...and definitely the egg slicer! (I do hope I haven't misjudged your sarcasm here...!)

What about my cats? They will miss us when we're away. Do you think they would like to come and stay in an apartment as well? I feel a definite essential bring along...item(?)/creature.
ski holidays
@johnE,
I thought most places had a salad spinner in Europe?
ski holidays
Did someone mention the ironing board?
ski holidays
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Turn a mug upside down to sharpen knives in the apartment

http://youtube.com/v/KdAMqgg8Xjw

IF you're getting a hire car fill it up with beer and wine from the major supermarkets rather than 5000 feet up a hill where it's a lot more money. If there's space left in the car, buy some food.
Suntan lotion and lip protector is much cheaper in the supermarkets in the UK - got mine at ASDA today.
mini cartons of juice drinks - fit in ski jacket pockets - save paying 5 euros a drink on the mountain

bu**er me. Just tried this and it worked amazingly. We now have sharp knives again in the kitchen
snow report
We have driven to the Alps for our past three holidays and I bought a cheap £10 sandwich toaster from Tescos, that lives in the suitcase permanently waiting to be put in the boot of the car. The kids loved a toasted sarnie snack. I also took the slow cooker, which was a godsend. There are seven of us sharing the apartment and coming back to a slow cooked meal, ready and just waiting for us to add spuds or pasta is a must for us two mums. I take my own potato peeler too. Fortunately, we know now what we don't need for Foy this Easter as we are returning to a now familiar apartment.
latest report
To anyone thinking of taking frozen food - I wouldn't bother as most apartments have fridges with a tiny freezing compartment.

Most apartment wardrobes only seem to have a couple of hangers but I haven't bothered to take my own yet!

I always take:

three types of tea bags
coffee
hot chocolate
porridge oats
small bottle of olive oil
black bin bags
surface cloths
kitchen roll
loo roll
a few extra dishwasher tablets
Couple of tea towels
Things like calpol, nurofen etc as if you don't know your children's weight in kilogrammes it can be a hassle working out the correct dose in a hurry.
latest report
Yep we did the slow cooker thing last time, mind you we drive over in my Navara so space isn't exactly a problem.

Slow cooked pulled pork in cider ( Toofy Grin ) after a hard day on the piste... Mmmmmmmmm
snow report
We were amazed to have a full sized fridge (tall with a large freezer) at the apartment..I only hope its still there at the next visit. We stock up at the local Carrefour en route, I think its at Gilly Sur Isere near Albertville for us. Tea bags, coffee, cleaning products are a given, dishwasher tablets are on the list (forgot them in Alpe D'Huez but remembered at Foy)...we take our own bathroom towels too and bed linen, rather than paying the accommodation owner. I have a bag full of medicines for all of us, calpol, paracetamols for the adults, plasters etc... and it would appear that we still have my brother's family helmets and ski boots in our loft. I forgot that they gave them to us to bring back in our car, to help them with their luggage limit... good job my husband spotted them recently. Not sure how we, with the smallest car in the family and smallest house, also now have most of their bulky ski stuff AND their surf boards (from recent surfing trip to Cornwall) at our place... mmmmm..... Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Quote:

wardrobes only seem to have a couple of hangers

not in my place - and after a bit of thread drift elsewhere on the forum I spent a few minutes sorting out the hangers so each wardrobe has a matching set - this was in December when we didn't have any snow.
ski holidays
homers double wrote:
Yep we did the slow cooker thing last time, mind you we drive over in my Navara so space isn't exactly a problem.

Slow cooked pulled pork in cider ( Toofy Grin ) after a hard day on the piste... Mmmmmmmmm

That sounds amazing! I recently got a slow cooker and it's absolutely my new favourite thing. Try chucking a whole chicken in there, it's gorgeous! Pulled pork in BBQ is my personal fave, but will have to try the cider version.

This is when it's a real disadvantage flying over driving, that you can't take some of these things as they seem like they are real timesavers.
ski holidays
Quote:

I spent a few minutes sorting out the hangers so each wardrobe has a matching set
latest report
Love that @Pamski, Very Happy
snow report
@Pamski, when I left my place in Jan I forgot to sort the hangers!

@FiFi_Trixibell, go to an apartment that has a slow cooker Little Angel
snow conditions
+ 1 for the slow cooker - diced beef, mushrooms, browned onions and a bottle of red wine in the morning. Perfect dinner in the evening
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you have to clean the place before check out, practice cleaning your floor at home using a broom and a thick towel, as this is what passes for a mop in France. Oh and while you're at it, attach a guitar plectrum to a rusty yale style key, and try to open a can of beans with it. As French tin openers are "special" too.
snow conditions
Re: salad spinner - we had a complaint from one renter of our apartment that none was provided. Other things that some of our dear customers have deemed lacking were a food mixer (really! yes, feel free to turn our apartment into a bakery) and a fondue set.

My answer is written on this piece of paper that I am handing to the clerk of the court ....
snow report
We don't have a salad spinner, but there is a food processor and a slow cooker. There is a fondue set squirrelled away somewhere in the basement along with a Pierre but I don't leave those out as they can create so much smoke and smells. Deep fat fryer sits outside for the same reason under the gas bbq/grill
ski holidays
My experience of salad spinners in many years of gite holidays was that they were often very grubby. I used to take mine (when driving) but it's hardly necessary in these days of ready-washed leaves in bags.
snow report
@Pamski, our Belgian friends have a proper charcoal grill thing, which you light outside, then bring in to the table. If you get it right it's excellent, but if you get it wrong..... so it's kept in their cave, to which we have a key. We borrowed it one night last week and it was great. I have a salad spinner which is in constant use, a hand held blender, a hand held whisk, a slow cooker and a bread maker (which is used for messless mixing, as I always cook it in the oven). No microwave, no deep fat fryer, no BBQ.

Most of the places round here which sell cheese, meat, etc for fondues, brasérades, etc will lend the hardware free.
snow conditions
salad spinner my arris... but best to use a fresh one unless you want a cheesy tang.

http://youtube.com/v/oXKmAGUIDMs
snow report
grazzenger wrote:
salad spinner my arris... but best to use a fresh one unless you want a cheesy tang.

http://youtube.com/v/oXKmAGUIDMs

Bleurgh... Cheesy tang. That is all. Skullie
ski holidays
sloe or damson gin and a hip flask
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy