Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tragic

Poster: A snowHead
It's been a great start to the season but according to snow-forecast.com there is going to be 26cm of rain at 1832m in Les Contamines on Saturday night. On the freezing level is going to rise to 3400m on Sunday. I've had this problem at christmas before in Oz and La Plagne. Frustrating... some might even say tragic Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Layne, 26CM or 26MM?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.meteociel.fr/previsions/27558/tignes.htm
Looks like 26 mm (which would be about 26-30 cm of snow - such is the limitation of 'automatically' generated forecasts)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't worry the rain is short lived on Saturday, before a more settled day on Sunday and into Monday (so despite the high freezing level, there's no precipitation to do any damage).

Temperatures falling away rapidly Monday night through to Xmas day which is looking like its gong to be a snowy Xmas for some parts of the alps Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Looks like 26 mm (which would be about 26-30 cm of snow

there's been plenty of daily precipitation levels as high, or higher, than that recently - the forecasts look a bit more believable now, and less alarming (even though there's a brilliant base of snow for so early in the season, 3 or 4 inches of rain wouldn't do it any good!

The weather is going mild all over, but in this area we have done very well for snow, and looks like usefully more, after Christmas.

Not tragic! And at least in Contamines you're unlikely to encounter the sort of situation recently reported from the Espace Killy with everything closed down due to snow and wind!

Enjoy your holiday. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I tend not to worry about rises in temperatures and rain early in the season. It tends to pack down the base better and make it harder. This stops the boarders and skiers scraping it off so easily and, IMHO, last longer into the season. In all probability the precipitation will not leave the snow pack but freeze within it. A couple years ago we had high winds in Les Arc that stripped many of the pistes bare in a single day . Upto then they had had a lovely depth of soft snow. some rain would have helped bind the snow and prevent this

However, the 260 mm reported by Layne, could be a real worry. as it would cause serious flooding. The 100mm that pam w says will fall, would, as she says, cause sever damage to the snow pack and serious flooding in the valleys.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

some might even say tragic

Jeez man, if this is the limit of tragedy in your life you surely live a blessed existance.

I've been doing christmas and new year in the alpes (mainly french) now for nearly 30 years, and yes an occasional mild snap passes through and sometimes you even get rain at the 2000m mark or even above, it is pretty normal. This is the chance you take at this time of the year. Take a book, chill out and enjoy the "foreign" ambiance. As soon as there's a drop of rain, the doomsayers on this site are wailing and gnashing their teeth saying all the snow will go, as pam w has said before and certainly from my experience, it doesn't usually have that much effect.

Anyway, the bad weather is going to be on christmas eve, how else was I going to get my christmas shopping done? Skullie
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No point looking at the weather forecast. I understand the Mayans say it all ends tomorrow Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Jeez man, if this is the limit of tragedy in your life you surely live a blessed existance.

+1
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Quote:

+1

Couldn't agree more - is it me of do others wish that people put things into perspective. It's only a holiday.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chaps, lighten up. Yes 26mm... and yes it's not really *tragic* rolling eyes

However, to see a several early season dumps off snow seriously depleted on the day you arrive is in the context of skiing conditions is quite "tragic".

andyrew, did you actually read my post? I said I'd experienced it before. Did I say it shouldn't happen or that it would ruin my holiday?

welshskier, no it's not just a holiday. It's a skiing holiday. Skiing conditions are quite important are they not Puzzled I did also just check and the board is "Snow Reports - weather - snow conditions" Toofy Grin

Anyway, if I can get connected I will of course report how things pan out.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chrisb, Yip - even Meteo France's formal bulletin joked about 'previsions pour apres le Fin du Monde!'
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne, sorry, ski conditions are important for skiers, but if you use the word "tragic" in this context then what word do you use when you are faced with a real tragedy?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's called 'hyperbole', and is a valid rhetorical technique.

Hope that helps.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

It's called 'hyperbole'

I though that was the shape of my skis..... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Mr Piehole, +1
snow conditions
you lot are "tragic"
ski holidays
CH2O, why Puzzled
snow report
CH2O, +1
latest report
Layne, I hope he means the pedantic arsewipes +1 above.

I think its a tragedy if my fillet steak is over done, I do not need a plane full of disabled people bound for Lourdes to crash on it to use the expression.
snow report
blahblahblah, +1
snow conditions
Fillet Steak, +1
latest report
Layne, Oh FFS.

Any fule knos that snow-forecast is rubbish anyway, there's outrageous amounts of snow and a wee bit of rain won't make the blind bit of difference.
snow conditions
blahblahblah,
Quote:
I think its a tragedy if my fillet steak is over done,
I'm glad some people get it Very Happy

under a new name,
Quote:
Layne, Oh FFS. Any fule knos that snow-forecast is rubbish anyway,
I didn't - what's better then. I'll check and see how they compare?
Quote:
there's outrageous amounts of snow and a wee bit of rain won't make the blind bit of difference.
Can you tell me how rain and a temperatures of 2 degrees celcius won't make a "blind bit of difference"? wink
latest report
Layne

Chamonix meteo, or meteo Chamonix (there is an official on and an unofficial one) both have real, live, weather forecasters interpreting the model outputs that snow-forecast simply publishes. The weather thread here is also worth paying attention to.

This means that when a model outputs an outlier, a real human being discounts it, but takes account of it.

Les Contamines is close enough to Cham that it'll broadly have the same weather.

2C weather for a few days won't impact the ~1.5m snowpack that is generally prevalent. Neither will the rain. The top surface of snow below the snow/rain level will be wetter but that's about it.

It occurs to me that if you are only used to seeing how snow behaves in the small quantities that typically falls in the UK, you won't anticipate how it behaves in large quantity.

So, relax, it will be fine. Although I cannot recomend skiing in rain!
latest report
Here's the official one http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php
snow report
And the unofficial one http://www.meteo-chamonix.org/drupal/p-r-e-v-i-s-i-o-n-s/alpes-du-nord
snow report
Mr Piehole wrote:
It's called 'hyperbole', and is a valid rhetorical technique.

Hope that helps.

Quite so, nothing to be concerned about, just an example of hyperbollocks.... (i think that's how you spell it) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I cannot recomend skiing in rain!

Skiing in the rain sucks. Get into a bar, soonest.

snow-forecast is essentially a computer-generated interpretation of one particular model - GFS - which really needs "expert" human interpretation, though having said that, meteo france, who presumably have lots of human experts, seem to be poor. Over a long time I have found snow-forecast at least as reliable as meteo France. The two Chamonix sites recommended by under a new name are heaps better than either. Have you been to Les Contamines before? Very nice resort, especially at the top.

Snow depths currently are extraordinary for pre-Christmas.
snow conditions
I now just look at the the Noz forecast, though being honest I do have an unlimited membership to snow-forecast so it get's checked at least 3 times a day from the start of October to the end of April.
snow conditions
blahblahblah wrote:
Layne, I hope he means the pedantic arsewipes +1 above.

I think its a tragedy if my fillet steak is over done, I do not need a plane full of disabled people bound for Lourdes to crash on it to use the expression.

lol +1

Laughing
snow conditions
under a new name, OK... so here is the current forecast from your first official link:

SATURDAY DECEMBER 22
Getting considerably milder - active disturbance crossing over - heavy rain at night - strong wind high up

SUNDAY DECEMBER 23
Fairly sunny and very mild - slightly decreasing wind high up

So heavy rain and very mild combination. I can live with whatever. As my oldest skiing buddy would always say "would you rather be here and in the office!" but a) I'm not seeing any major difference with what snow forecast was telling me and b) whilst freeze thaw is great for binding the snow pack - the conditions described above will impact skiing conditions detrimentally in the short term no question.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink,
Quote:
Quite so, nothing to be concerned about, just an example of hyperbollocks....
Eeeeeewwwwww Skullie
snow report
ansta1, wtf is a "Noz forecast" Puzzled
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:
Have you been to Les Contamines before? Very nice resort, especially at the top
No, I am going there because you told me it was nice Shock
snow report
Layne, a noz forecast: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=89088&start=1040
snow conditions
Callum001, ta Very Happy
snow conditions
Layne,

It's not 26cm of rain, that's for sure.

And I assure you it won't make that much difference to what you'll be skiing on...

Well, other than that you won't be skiing the knee deep powder we had on Wednesday.
ski holidays
Layne, that same link also says for Saturday

PRECIPITATION : starting up during the afternoon - becoming moderate to heavy - rain-snow limit towards 1200 m, probably rising up towards 2000 m.
WIND - aloft : NNW -> NW strong.
TEMPERATURE : low -5 °C - high +3°C - temperature inversion toward 1500 m.

EXTENDED OUTLOOK UNTIL WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 26 2012
Monday : cloudy with sunny spells - very mild - fœhn wind likely. Tuesday and Wednesday : very unsettled and colder - frequent snow showers. Outlook is uncertain.

So perhaps some rain below 2000m for a spell on Saturday, then you'll be skiing in pleasant temps, with sun until Tuesday.

Given it was -23 at the base last week and very poor visibility I'd much prefer your forecast to what I encountered!!
latest report
Always look on the bright side - "rain up to 2000m" is the same as saying "snow above 2000m". Glass half full!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy