Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Park

Poster: A snowHead
any got any info on this resort? esp in comparison with European resorts.

yes ive searched but i'm not trawling through 4089 postings...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rusty is your man , he is local maybe he will check in here soon .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
www.skiwinterpark.com
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's good. It's fun. It's not busy during the week. It's under 2 hours from Denver Airport.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hobbiteater,

To save you searching:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=89575
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
good report. Acacia, is there enough to do for 14 nights or would you recommend trips put ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
royal.......you don't believe you're dear friend?

i'll be glad to answer any questions for youhobbiteater.

i live in a nearby town in the winter. as i have said previously, i chose WP/MJ and it's environs because it has, IMHO, the very best qualities in colorado.

it isn't vail and it isn't aspen.

it caters to an entirely different crowd and skier.

royal you aren't going to be satisfied until you travel a bit. i'm not being critical. with 14 days on the schedule go to a few other resorts. heck, there are eight major resorts withen two hours driving distance.

once you've made the trek you'll see why i rarely leave WP!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sorry rusty, i never doubted you (honest!)

You know me always like to check out all the angles, I probably wont be happy till ive checked "everywhere" out !
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys

Don't really think there is too much useful information to be gained from an intrwest website...

Quote:

the very best qualities in colorado.

it isn't vail and it isn't aspen

so what are the best qualities and what do you mean by the second part.

How much quantity (on piste) skiing is there along the lines of a) alpbach b) la plagne (on its own) c) 3V
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i guess i'm a tad surprised by your internet comment. i was floored by the winter park review that was posted as a link. whoever wrote it did a very good job.

EVERY resort in Colorado is unique and different. they all have there advantages and disadvantages. obviously whatever i say is merely my opinion. what works for some doesn't "get it" for me.

Very Best Qualities;

1. Snow- consistant snowfalls, periodic powder days, copious quantities. WP/MJ has the highest historical averages in the state. why? orographic storms track from the northwest and slam into the resort.

2. crowds- i hate them. we don't have them. not in the lift lines, not at a bar, not at a market , not at the front door of an eating establishment.

3. town- real. i don't care for faux bavarian/tyrol base areas (Vail), coffee shops with guys talking to their NY broker on a blue tooth blackberry in a full length mink next to a woman with a boob job and too tight a face lift (Aspen). I like everything real. no faux, no silicone. I like to drink next to a carpenter or rancher. not next to a guy who owns a jet.

the acreage (hectares) does not compare to europe or even Vail. I'm the kind of person who walks into a palatial home and wonders who cleans the place and how do you find the cat. Here are the stats

http://www.skiwinterpark.com/mountain/stats/stats.htm

as i have told royal each resort in colorado is unique. my if forced to rank major resorts they would be WP, Steamboat, Copper, Breck. where do i go to ski on my days off? i go to Loveland. it is a smallish no frills, no condos, non=destination ski area. Here is one of my favorite views in all of Colorado from 11,000 feet at the top of chair $1 looking west towards the continental divide

http://www.skiloveland.com/photogallery/photo/top_chair_1.jpg

so.....merely my $00.02. i feel obliged to reiterate i think the review done here about WP was, as you folks say, spot on.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i guess i'm a tad surprised by your internet comment. i was floored by the winter park review that was posted as a link. whoever wrote it did a very good job.

EVERY resort in Colorado is unique and different. they all have there advantages and disadvantages. obviously whatever i say is merely my opinion. what works for some doesn't "get it" for me.

Very Best Qualities;

1. Snow- consistant snowfalls, periodic powder days, copious quantities. WP/MJ has the highest historical averages in the state. why? orographic storms track from the northwest and slam into the resort.

2. crowds- i hate them. we don't have them. not in the lift lines, not at a bar, not at a market , not at the front door of an eating establishment.

3. town- real. i don't care for faux bavarian/tyrol base areas (Vail), coffee shops with guys talking to their NY broker on a blue tooth blackberry in a full length mink next to a woman with a boob job and too tight a face lift (Aspen). I like everything real. no faux, no silicone. I like to drink next to a carpenter or rancher. not next to a guy who owns a jet.

the acreage (hectares) does not compare to europe or even Vail. I'm the kind of person who walks into a palatial home and wonders who cleans the place and how do you find the cat. Here are the stats

http://www.skiwinterpark.com/mountain/stats/stats.htm

as i have told royal each resort in colorado is unique. my if forced to rank major resorts they would be WP, Steamboat, Copper, Breck. where do i go to ski on my days off? i go to Loveland. it is a smallish no frills, no condos, non=destination ski area. Here is one of my favorite views in all of Colorado from 11,000 feet at the top of chair $1 looking west towards the continental divide

http://www.skiloveland.com/photogallery/photo/top_chair_1.jpg

so.....merely my $00.02. i feel obliged to reiterate i think the review done here about WP was, as you folks say, spot on.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rusty Guy,

Thanks for the compliment, but it wasn't difficult to write a good report of WP. - I'll be back (not sure when, but I'll let you know!)

Royal,

You can ski WP for 14 days, if you want, and you'll probably be a true bumpmeister if you do, but personally, I'd want to go visit some other areas if I were there for that length of time. However, while the area may not be the biggest, I found it to feel a lot bigger than the initial impression I'd had from the trail map, and the different sectors of the hill give you a wide range of terrain and snow. I know that when I DO get around to returning there are some parts that I want to ski that I didn't get the chance to experience on my last trip, and some that I definitely want to ski again (and again and again)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
so good you said it twice !

im looking foward to going.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bumps, trees and the Cirque. Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Acacia, nice one.

im going with some rx8's which are aimed at on piste skiing...

... are these going to be adequate or should i source a different type ok ski ?
snow conditions
Royal,

Well, I hope you'll find some powder off the Timberline chair, and the bumps on Mary-Jane can be a lot of fun. - I don't know what the RX8's are like under those conditions.

I used the Dynastar Legend 4800, which I got from my hotel rental shop, and it handled everything I threw at it (not that I throw things that hard) in a range of conditions - I guess I was skiing about a 30%/70% groomed/ungroomed. If you get a really big dump while you're there, you might want to get something fatter.
latest report
Royal, the rx8 is fine for any colorado resort 98% of the time. an average snow is 8-10 inches, hence, float is not needed.

that brings up an intersting point being discussed among instructors around here with an eye towards mid fat and/or fat skis. we spend all our time hoping for snow. why do we wear skis to get out of the snow?

anyhow if we get some three foot dump we'll find you a powder ski somewhere to borrow.
latest report
borrow as in free ? Blush

what sort of ski(s) do you favour rusty ?
ski holidays
Royal wrote:
borrow as in free ? Blush

all sorts of benefits will open to you as a private lesson customer!

all joking aside, don't know about europe, however, i am what is termed a "pro rep" for nordica. at almost every resort companies have a pro in the ski school who is tasked with selling equipment to his/her peers. each company wants to get as many pros on their stuff as they can. it is viewed as good advertisement.

so.......i'm on nordica/marker!

i want to stress my job is to sell to instructors and i cannot sell product to the public.

as a "value add" to my clients i will let private clients test drive any "demo" skis that I have in my fleet. in addition, nordica provides me with personal skis and boots throughout the season. I typically use a ski for thirty days and sell it to clients. it is a nice way for the company to move product and for me to supplement my meager earnings. as long as the skis are "used" the company is not concerned with me selling to the public. if a client tries a demo ski, likes it, and wants to buy it, i direct them to a local nordica dealer.

so.......we'll get you on a pair of hot rods IF you ski with Rusty! No, if we get a huge snow i promise i won't let you wallow all in the name of international relations.

p.s.- i used to rep for fischer and while they make fine ski, i made the switch because nordica is making superb equipment. if my feet even see a fischer boot they start to hurt. i still have a lot of friends at fischer and at the beginning of the year they tried to lure me back
ski holidays
Royal wrote:
so good you said it twice !

im looking foward to going.

sorry about the x 2 post!
ski holidays
Rusty Guy, have you skied in Europe ? Can you do the Europe/US comparison?
I keep thinking about making the trip to ski in America/Canada but can't just quite commit myself to book the flights. I think it's because I like the charm of the Austrian/Swiss resorts, the little umbrella bars etc. I can imagine US skiing - everything will be perfect, but will it have that Christmassy feel? Is the snow that much better?
snow conditions
Erica2004,

Make the trip to the US or Canada.

N America has charm but of a different variety.

The skiing can be perfect if that's what you want (Deer Valley, Utah) or it can be as rustic as you like (Beaver Mountain, Utah). First two examples that came to mind.

Yes the snow is that much better.
snow report
i'm sorry i have not skiied in europe.

i know the resorts in utah and colorado quite well. I have skiied a little in canada.....perhaps thirty days. I've ski patrolled or taught skiing full time for ten years.

i'll be glad to attempt to answer any questions or be of help.

in addition, feel free to pm me here or send questions via e-mail to guyrb@msn.com.
snow report
Many years ago, before mortgage and childcare refocused my priorities, I went to visit friends in Denver. I spent three glorious weeks skiing my way up and down the I-70. While it was the best part of fifteen years ago, it was a wonderful experience, one that I will always look back on with fond memories.

For the record: A-Basin, Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, Beaver Creek, Buttermilk, Breckenridge, Copper, Keystone, Loveland, Snowmass, Steamboat, Vail, Winter Park Happy

I must confess that the only reason I went to WP was to say I'd skied "Mary Jane's Backside" (childish college humour - sorry) but I really enjoyed the mountain when I got there. It was genuinely friendly and there was a reasonable variety of terrain. I second WTFH's recommendation of the Cirque.

But if you're travelling a long way to get there (like I did from Ireland) I would heartily recommend trying some of the other resorts on offer. Loveland is a dream - especially on weekdays - one Wednesday there must have been nearly 50 people on the mountain! Some cracking cruisy blues off No. 4 lift.

Spaulding Bowl & Hallelujah Ridge at Copper are worth a look (even just for the view) and, if you've never had the pleasure - night skiing at Keystone is such a blast it's unreal.

I ski in France most years and in my experience most of these Colorado resorts are comparable in size to the smaller French stations (eg les Contamines) that don't link into big domains so if you're into big mileage skiing I would recommend variety if you don't want to get bored. If, on the other hand you like the steep stuff through the trees ther'll be plenty to keep you entertained in any of them for at least a week.

Enjoy!

CW
snowHead
snow report
cardweg, the question was raised about snow quality. your comments? Steamboat is known to get a slightly drier snow than anywhere else. did you ski there on a powder day?

i'm curious, what was your favorite place to ski and why?
ski holidays
Rusty Guy.

I must have been unlucky, but I guess that's the drawback of skiing one resort a day. It had snowed the previous day when I went to Steamboat, but it wasn't nice - too wet and not the fluffy talc-like powder I had expected, so a bit of an anti-climax. A bit like Scotland on a good day - and that's NOT a recommendation!

Having said that it's all a bit relative - European snow by and large isn't generally as dry as what I've seen on my six or seven trips to Colorado and can therefore ice up quite easily so as soon as you hit I-70 you're already on a winner. Customer care is also exemplary in the US. Grumpy French lift attendants are the bane of some of my English friends' lives but for me, as an Irishman, it just adds to the character and I grunt back at them in my best regional French accent. Of course Alpine food is a big plus.

Where continental Europe really scores is access (from about 3hrs: Ireland to resort) and trail mileage. There are so many big interlinked ski areas such as the Portes du Soleil, 3 Valleys, Espace Killy and the newly linked Paradiski all with 200 miles or more of trail. With areas like this you will NEVER run out of variety and that's what I like. Miles of blues and reds (blue/black) for high speed cruising with lots of steep and bumpy runs to get the heartrate up. On the downside a lot of teh high areas are purpose built tower blocks from the 60s although you can still find plenty of quaint and traditional satellite villages.

I suppose that on balance, money being no object, I'd like to ski USA more often than I can now afford. As well as the high speed cruising and steeps I'm drawn to trees (well, actually the gaps between them). The big European areas are generally largely above the tree line so you don't get runs like Breckenridge's "The Burn"

As for my favourite place I'll have to sit on the fence a bit. Most of my trips to Colorado have been centred around Summit County. Winter Park, Steamboat and the 4 Aspen mountains only got a day each, so they really need more time to explore.

I really enjoyed Loveland, just for the quietness midweek and the lack of hordes of tourists (like me). East Wall at A-basin, Black Forest and Wolverine at Keystone, Hallelujah Ridge and Spaulding Bowl @ Copper, China Bowl, Siberia Bowl & Poppyfields East @ Vail and The Burn, Shock and from the top of the T-bar all the way to the bottom of Claimjumper without stopping @ Breck. (Of course all of that is AFTER I've acclimatised to the 9940ft change in elevation from home). As far as resort centre was concerned, I liked Breck and Aspen but thought Vail was pretentious and Keystone and Copper were a bit soulless (although I fully recognise that things have probably changed a lot in 8 years).

If I had to choose a European destination, I'd go for the Portes du Soleil. 365km of trail at 12 resorts in two countries and only an hour from Geneva airport. Stay in traditional Morzine and you can choose one cablecar at Nyon over to Les Gets and some trees or the other one at les Prodains up to purpose built Avoriaz and the link into Switzerland down the infamous "Swiss Wall" where I watched three people being helicoptered off over the course of one lunch! Don't worry, if you want to live to ski another day you can take the chairlift down - it's quite an acceptable alternative.

Did that answer your question? Probably not, but it brought back lots of nice memories for me Happy I'm really starting to look forward to January when I can try out the new terrain that's opened @ Breck since my last visit in 1998.

CW

PS That'll teach you to ask me a simple question wink
ski holidays
cardweg, yes....you did a great job. i suppose in my heart of hearts i agree with everything you said. i try to maintain the position that all the resorts have good and bad. last year i went to a psia training session at copper. i used to hate the place. the clinician was a longtime copper employee who showed us runs/places that i didn't know existed. i grew to have a far greater appreciation for the place. i think the same is probably true of many resorts.

loveland is simply a true gem. i was there today. when the snow is good it cannot be beat, all things considered.

my step brother has taught at vail for twenty years. i'm a guy who owns a tee-shirt purchased in aspen that says....."vail sucks". how does the sheer vastness of the back side of vail compare with europe?

i love tourists from the UK. i mean that sincerely. we get a lot of folks at WP from the UK and i hate to generalize, however, everyone is wonderful in ski school. i'm amazed by how hard folks seek to improve. i want to remind folks it's their holiday, relax, lighten up, it's just skiing! the tourists i have a tough time with are texans. they can be....ummm....a bit much. i have to say i do get a lot of folks from the UK telling me what they learned from their instructor in france. we seem to be on different pages from our french peers at times. oh well.

winter park is making some wonderful changes. much more glade skiing, a new lift from the base of sunnyside to the of the mountain, a village and lift service over the back of vasquez. it should be great. please come visit and i'll buy you a pint or three.
snow report
Rusty Guy,

I'll maybe take you up on that - watch this space Happy

CW
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hope youve got shares in that brewery rust Wink!
snow report
I'm sure he won't need shares in a brewery - at that altitude, opening a packet of wine gums would have me under the table!

CW snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy