Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it worth joining SCGB for the ski rep service ?

Poster: A snowHead
As I might potentially be on my own in Ischgl, I was wondering is it worth joining SCGB so I can use the ski rep service and therefore won't have to ski on my lonesome ?

I do have lessons booked for 3 days but they run at an odd time 11.15-14.15 (was my sick mates idea to go for lessons)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It can work out very well. I went to Zermatt on my own a few years ago and ended up only skiing alone for half a day. 2 days with the ski club on top of a few half day lessons and skiing with others in the group filled the week up. I also joined the social hour and had some good evenings.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Definitely in my view. But you might want to take advantage of a day's trial with the rep to see if you like it, after which you have to join or drop out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It can be good but only as good as the 'Leader' and those skiing with them. Some members can be ummmm tricky and some leaders too. Strike it lucky and you'll have a good ski though.

Bear in mind each day is a different standard (published in advance) and it would be unusual for a Leader to meet up with you part way through a day rather than at the start.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well 2planks you'll enjoy Ischgl its a great place to ski, and I understand what you mean about skiing on your lonesome.
I don't know if SCGB have a rep there, I'd tack on to the Crystal or Thompson's reps if you can find them there.
If they are there they will be trying to up-sell excursions to toboggan nights or something and if you climb on board I'm sure they will let you tag along on their guide days.

Ischgl always used to be a bit of a rare place to find the Brits as its about as far as you can get from an airport.

It isn't really that big a village so you will probably bump in to everyone in the resort at church on Sunday Smile

We ended up finding the SCGB rep in Banff last season .. he was hitch hiking to Lake Louise ...so we sorted him out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnowMac, Claude B, thanks for that, I guess if join the club I'll get access to their forum as well.

There should be a Crystal rep too so maybe worth just following them but I don't think they "guide" all week. Hopefully the women's Swedish volleyball team is out there on a jolly and could always tag along with them Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2planks, you can now join the forum without being a member, I really really wouldn't advise joining for that reason though, you are posting on a much better site here snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
2planks, If I recall correctly you should be able to ski with the rep at least one day as a guest (maybe more if it's a quiet week).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did, yes definately
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can ski with a leader for one day as a 'temporary' member, but one day only. Quiet week or not, there maybe issues with permitting non-members to ski more than one day.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jehu wrote:
Definitely in my view. But you might want to take advantage of a day's trial with the rep to see if you like it, after which you have to join or drop out.

As it says above and another post. You can do the first day without joining and then join there and then if you want.

Also as said there is a different level of skiing each day, so look at the list published on the web. You also need to book.

Did exactly what you are suggesting. I had a hell of a job finding the leader in Whistler as he was not where he was supposed to be in the evening and the bar where the meeting was supposed to be had never heard of him. Then the people in the group were already in pairs and a pain, not to mention not wanting to talk to anyone else, so I have never tried again. I guess I could have had a bad one.

Would not try it again.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Ischgl always used to be a bit of a rare place to find the Brits as its about as far as you can get from an airport.

Less Brits than many places, but it's only 1.5 hours from the airport..?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2planks, spend the money on getting a local guided day - you get way more out of it in the long run!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jake43 wrote:
Jehu wrote:

As it says above and another post. You can do the first day without joining and then join there and then if you want.

Also as said there is a different level of skiing each day, so look at the list published on the web. You also need to book.

Did exactly what you are suggesting. I had a hell of a job finding the leader in Whistler as he was not where he was supposed to be in the evening and the bar where the meeting was supposed to be had never heard of him. Then the people in the group were already in pairs and a pain, not to mention not wanting to talk to anyone else, so I have never tried again. I guess I could have had a bad one.

Would not try it again.

You don't need to book, it's very much first come, first served. Pre-registration is really just to give the leader an idea of numbers and also speed up some of the paperwork.

It would be more worthwhile popping along to the social hour and chatting to them to identify what days might be most suitable. They certainly SHOULD be there
ski holidays
Quote:

I don't know if SCGB have a rep there, I'd tack on to the Crystal or Thompson's reps if you can find them there.

From what I've read, the Tea Club and the Crystal rep will probably be found in quite close proximity Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Seriously, the repping service is the best part (in fact the only worthwhile part) of the SCGB. If you're on your own then it's great to have someone to ski with. It's worth pre-joining and pre-registering because, if they're especially busy, they will limit the numbers to pre-registered members. THey usually operate on a first come first served basis, but if you've pre-registered then there's no argument.
latest report
Jehu wrote:
They certainly SHOULD be there
You would have thought but I waited 30mins where it said to meet and as I said no one behind the bar had heard of them (very strange) so left. At least he was at the meeting place in the morning. Said "he must have just missed us".
snow conditions
Jake43 wrote:
Jehu wrote:
They certainly SHOULD be there
You would have thought but I waited 30mins where it said to meet and as I said no one behind the bar had heard of them (very strange) so left. At least he was at the meeting place in the morning. Said "he must have just missed us".

Contact the club and let them know this. The club doesn't need leaders that don't take the role seriously.
snow report
skiclub.co.uk website will tell you which leader will be there when you are as they only do 2 week stints and i dont really remember them covering the resort in previous years. If you are intermediate or better SCGB should be fine for you.

I have skiied the last 4 seasons in Ischgl and rate the nightlife but not so much the skiing. i reckon you need to say what level skier you are in order to draw out any snowheads who might be in the area..

PM if you want specific recommendations on B and Bs or nightlife
snow report
when are you going to be there ???? - Im in exact same position - on my own for weekend 10 - 13 Jan with a bunch of beginner / intermediates who wont venture beyond Reds!!
also thinking about joining SCGB for a day or so out with the Rep
ski holidays
2planks, there is another way (if the Swedish Womens Volleyball Team don't show up)... http://www.ski-bunnies.com/
latest report
You only need to look on the Ski Club website to find out where they meet in each resort and who the reps are each week (there is a profile of each rep). Yes Ischgl has one, see: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiresorts/skiclubleaders.aspx/Ischgl#.UNMMRa6QYyE
Although there might only be a couple of days per week when the official standard for the day is suitable for you, in practice sometimes the same people turn up and if there is nobody of the advertised standard they just go with whoever is there.
The rep normally puts up his time table in several places around the resort and he has an office/ social hour where you can meet him in the evening at a bar. You could go the evening you arrive or just turn up at the meeting place in the morning. Or you can pre-register your interest.
It always used to be a bit cheaper to join the club in the resort and I doubt that it has changed.

I used to use this service when I started skiing again after a 20 year gap and none of my friends skied. I found it very useful. Yes of course the standard of the reps varies a bit. After a while I moved on to going on Ski Club holidays which tend to be for a particular standard of skier and of different types (simply recreational fun, or instruction, or off piste guiding, or touring - and sometimes aimed at particular groups: young people or gourmets or over 50s etc)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 20-12-12 12:51; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
snowball, I think you normally get 18 months for the price of a years membership if you join in resort.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
2planks, there is another way (if the Swedish Womens Volleyball Team don't show up)... http://www.ski-bunnies.com/

I'd heard that the Strass http://site.strass-syndicat.org/ were taking them to court for illegal guiding in French resorts. I heard that some clients had even been taken off piste.
snow conditions
Are you travelling with a TO? If so, they have leaders who will put a group together most days. If you turned up and joined the group, I have never had anyone ask me whether I am actually travelling with them or not. Any questions either a 20 in their back pocket or a couple of beers/lunch should remove any objection to you joining the group.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Thx opened that at work...now have to explain to my boss......Not !

snowball, cheers for that

Monium, going with Crystal so will be tweeting them !!
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

I'd heard that the Strass http://site.strass-syndicat.org/ were taking them to court for illegal guiding in French resorts. I heard that some clients had even been taken off piste.

Is it still technically off-piste, when it's two consenting adults??... Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No (to OP)
snow conditions
I have been a member for some years and the only benefits I have ever gained are the free chips in the Alpaka on Monday night
ski holidays
2planks, Do crystal not offer a guiding service? Or would it be too low a standard for you?
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots wrote:
2planks, Do crystal not offer a guiding service? Or would it be too low a standard for you?

I'm not sure about Crystal but I know some of the TOs are only offering that service on a couple of days now, and only at a very basic standard.
snow report
Edit**** Not really the thread to ask that question.. I'll use the correct thread

To be on topic, check out the resort they maybe a local who is offering the service.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy