Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Boots - ADVICE NEEDE PLEASE

Poster: A snowHead
[quote

Pity that a little intelligence is often mistaken for some intelligence!!!![/quote]

In a thread where you question another persons intelligence you might want to right a sentence that actually makes sense. A little intelligence is actually the same as some intelligence. More benefits of your boot fitters education I'm guessing but hey, you've marked yourself out as a true pro.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

right a sentence that actually makes sense.

Like that does! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Surely its the same in any 'new to you' sport? You go with the advice given and if you are lucky you get that from someone good. If you aren't, it costs you a lot of money as you work out where to go and who to trust.

I bought my boots at the beginning of my first season - my father insisted that it was important to have my own and he bought them as a Christmas and Birthday present.

Unfortunately, the guy in the shop that I bought from (in resort, so I thought I was safe in getting good advice - everyone I knew said he knew his 'stuff') really didn't give a poo-poo. He asked which ones I liked and what kind of skiing I was wanting to do (bearing in mind I was a total novice) and when I pointed some out, he got me a size that 'fitted'

Sadly, they really don't fit well. within weeks, as I got better at skiing, I had to go elsewhere to get the shell blown out and the lining cut to accommodate the fallen arch of my left foot. That was AFTER I'd been to the original shop three times virtually in tears with pain. The original shop just kept telling me that ski boots aren't comfortable and that moulded foot beds would do the trick. So I paid them for the boots, two lots of different moulded foot beds and could only ski for less than an hour before my feet were painful. When I went to the second shop, the guy couldn't have been more helpful and for the rest of the season, the boots were pretty comfortable. Sadly I seem to have dodgy feet even out of ski boots and last season the boots were heat-fitted which helped. This season they just hurt. Lots. I guess my style of skiing has changed. And my feet are uncomfortable in lots of shoes. But I have to try and squish my feet in through the ankle part of the boot which hurts and taking them off it excruciating. I will probably go and get them heat fitted again this week to try and help

I haven't really had the money to get properly fitted boots but having spoken to a guy I work with, that was going to be my goal for next summer - earn enough to pay for custom fitted new boots. Now I have read what CEM writes, I plan to try and get to Bicester to get them (probably at the end of the summer!!)

I only have little feet (size 4 or 5 depending on the shoe and the ski boots are 24.5) but they do always seem to hurt after walking about or sport. But, whilst I know skiing is very physical, I really don't think my boots should be as uncomfortable as they are Sad Gutted really as they were one of the last gifts my Father bought for me - but I guess three seasons is probably not a bad deal!!

CEM - expect a customer with really awkward little feet sometime at the end of the summer 2013!!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
joemalone,

the issue of bootfitting is almost as emotive as helmets and avi gear around these parts. There are people who say walk into any shop and get a pair off of the shelf and there a some who say spend 7 hours getting you feet measured to within a millimetre and pay a shed load to get the absolute perfect fitting pair.

There is not a simple and strightforward answer, you can get a pair from most retailers that would fit pretty well and you could get a pair for £700 from an over qualified boot sales person who sells you the black art of proper boot fitting. Either pair could fit you really well right from the get go, or cause you issues on day 1 or day 23.

You could get them in the uk and run the risk of having issues in resort, or you could get them in resort have a great first week but have pain and discomfort ever more.

You pay your money and take your choice, there a few very experienced fitters on snowHead and plenty of people who have used them , there are also people who swear snow and brigham or ellis and rock are brilliant.

not making any particular point other than there are lots of different opnions and this doesnt make yours or anyone elses view right or wrong, just different.

You new (self measured) boots may well be very comfortable, and they may well fit really well out of the box so well done if they do.

So what boots do you now have and what is the mondo size?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
joemalone, my thinking was very simple, you say you have boots which match your foot size a UK size 9.... so what is the mondopoint size, ski boot sizing is so far out it is unbelievable, based on a "manufacturer conversion" a uk size 9-9.5 would be a 28.0/28.5 (they don't make 1/2 sizes the .0 and .5 are the same shell and liner) now i am a UK 11, standing on a brannock measurer, i measure just shy of 29.0 on the same make of measure with a mondopoint scale..... my current boots are a head raptor RS130 in a size 28, i have about 18mm behind the heel in one boot and about 14mm in the other... like most people i do not have an accurate pair of feet....now, in the new salomon X max boots i can comfortably wear a size 27.5... thats right (according to the manufacturer) a UK 8.5!

the point i am trying to get across is that the sizes are just a number on the box, the only way to really see if the boot fits is to see the foot in the boot shell, size is only one element in the fitting process, the shape of the boot is critical as is the stance..... my best guess (and i have not seen your feet) is that the boots you had the problems with were not actually too small, there was either a shape difference between your foot and the boot or something to do with your biomechanics and the stance (mostly forward lean) of the boot

you obviously feel that all boot fitters are the employees of the devil, maybe you just haven't found the right now to help you yet Little Angel
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
joemalone, I take a UK 9 - 9.5 shoe size, yet CEM, put me in a 26.5 ski boot and guess what it fit, well it did after it'd had a little bit of work. Boot shape is critical to the fit.

As CEM, would testify I have pretty sensitive feet, I can't tolerate any sort of poor fit in my boots, I can feel a fag paper in the wrong place. Just to make his Christmas I'm going back for a new pair on the 7th January. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not happy reading that about Lockwoods, was planning a trip to them for some boots. To sure now. Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
binkacat, The main point of the thread is that you shouldn't plan a trip to anywhere to get boots, pick somewhere that you will be able to return to fairly easily if you need any follow up work.

I'm happy with the service I have had from Lockwoods in the past.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rjs, thanks for the reassurance. Lockwoods is probably the nearest well thought of boot fitting place to me, still 2 hours plus away from me. But the thought of maybe having to go back for tweaking is why I've decided to go there and not another hour down to Bicester.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
chaletgirl wrote:

I only have little feet (size 4 or 5 depending on the shoe and the ski boots are 24.5) but they do always seem to hurt after walking about or sport. But, whilst I know skiing is very physical, I really don't think my boots should be as uncomfortable as they are Sad Gutted really as they were one of the last gifts my Father bought for me - but I guess three seasons is probably not a bad

Sounds to me like they're just too long - I generally wear a UK 7.5ish, and my boots are 25.5
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chasseur wrote:
CEM, if only, indeed! Thanks for the heads up (pun intended!)...they're the same on both boots. I'll hold off on the boot stretcher and see whether the liner packs out a bit more following a week's blasting, as opposed to 3 split sessions at Hemel.

The manufacturers foot bed totally alleviates the problem, so if push comes to shove and there is no significant improvement in a few days, I could always revert to one of those as a temporary measure.

Again, thanks for the contribution.

Ouch! One day and outside right foot hell. Manufacturers footbed straight back in and problem resolved the following day/rest of week.

By sheer coincidence, I met a podiatrist whilst out there who reckoned, on limited explanation/evidence that the moulded footbed may just have been too high under the foot arch, pushing the right foot hard into the outside....certainly the lower arch support in the manufacturers footbed relieved the problem.

So, back to Profeet at some point in the next few weeks before the next trip.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chasseur, I had all sorts of problems with Profeet so I sympathise - I did exactly the same as you, replaced the manufacturer's footbeds and it helped (I think for the same reasons). The footbed that Profoot put in for me was rock hard with very little give and quite thick. I can see the point for racing but I never specifed that I raced. I think they do not necessarily take the style of boot/individual feet into account and churn out a footbed based on the same footbed blanks regardless of the boot model they are fitting. This can cause problems as different models have different arch heights and angles to the shell.

I wish you the best of luck!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I must have been lucky. Profeet made me some footbeds and they were fine, to the extent that CEM was happy to put them in new boots which he fitted for me about 18 months later.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Sounds to me like they're just too long - I generally wear a UK 7.5ish, and my boots are 25.5

+1. I generally wear a UK size 7 and my ski boots, with shells artfully stretched to accommodate my bunions and a hammer toe, are 24 (Zipfit liners). But I only have room for a pair of very thin silk socks, and I don't do walking. wink They're great to ski in.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pedantica, well the left foot I could (and did) have buckled up nice and snug and tight all day long....so possibly half lucky Laughing

I'm sure the adjustment required will be relatively minor, its just a PITA.
snow conditions
Quote:

its just a PITA

are you sure it's the boots, Chasseur? They normally give you a pain in the foot.
ski holidays
pam w, but I didn't say whose @rse, though wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy