Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

lessons or 'just go for it'

Poster: A snowHead
Kel, bug. That didn't last long. You deserve your pint for helping bring some levity to this thread. (And it really is 'each to his own' - and wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same?)
Are you on any bash? I'm not (yet)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jirac18, I generally favor the opinion of the majority, taking a few lessons initially to a point you can safely control your speed & direction. This is the majorities opinion because that's how we learned to ski, the minority who learnt differently only knock this and as you say get itchy about this opinion, which is fair enough.

We rarely get insight into how the minority teach themselves, only that they did, there will be others reading this thread thinking "maybe I could teach myself", for the benefit of these people and us majority, it may be beneficial to sometimes hear how the minority actually did it from the moment of putting skis on for the first time etc. As it may help them to do it safely, and us to stop knocking it!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some of my friends I ski with have not had a lot of lessons. They are naturally talented, can get down most things and are not a danger to others but are a complete nightmare to ski with as they are all over the place. I have done the teach myself to "ski" thing and then lessons. I don't think I was a danger to others although I did break a leg and damage both knees. I was going down hill on a pair of skis but not really skiing. Personally, I very much regret not taking lessons from the start as apart of anything else it is costing a fortune to get rid of all the bad habits. I'm not only safer but skiing is a lot more fun and I've found that a lot more people are happy to go skiing me rather than steering clear.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gatecrasher, You want to try some of my kit? Without a grounding in the fundamentals and relatively regular updating I could not ride some of it. I plan on stepping backwards to 30's equipment for personal experimentation and perhaps a book, but without a solid grounding in taught fundamentals I'd have no basis in comparison.

Life is one long learning experience . . . getting off that path just demonstrates a paucity of values, including to oneself . . . and there, self declared, sits jirac18
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kel, one deserved pint is yours you sad person. From where would you like to collect it? Are you booked on any bash?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, I will be looking forward to the video blog! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

We rarely get insight into how the minority teach themselves, only that they did, there will be others reading this thread thinking "maybe I could teach myself", for the benefit of these people and us majority, it may be beneficial to sometimes hear how the minority actually did it from the moment of putting skis on for the first time etc. As it may help them to do it safely, and us to stop knocking it!

Joubert wrote a book about teaching yourself without an Instructor "Skiing an Art... a Technique", but if you stand at the bottom of a piste, say OK in la daille about 4.30 you will be able to tell the self taught from those that had lots of lessons, board or ski. But hey it does not really matter to those that do not think that skiing is a poseurs sport and do not care that everybody is nudging each other saying look at that t+t!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cynic, When skiing was a (recreational) sport for a people with a 'disposable' income above their need to survive . . . it was possible to develop an individual technique on near deserted, unpisted hills. Today that opportunity no longer exists and nor is safe as so many sad examples demonstrate. Today's equipment is both forgiving and capable of extreme violence, most punter equipment has Jekyl and Hyde personalities. We have to be instructed in its use . . . like any tool that has the ability to kill both us and onlookers.

gatecrasher, could be interesting . . . thinking of BASI gap course at the same time . . . so much potential Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, You should be beyond the piste on deserted off-piste with your down hill christiana and kick turns shunning the pistes of the populia
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cynic, what's a turn? have you seen me on a hill? NehNeh
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jirac18,

The first 3 years I skied I didn't have lessons, not because I didn't want them but as a kid from a non-Skiing family I didn't have the money for them. I picked up lots of bad habits (I'm just talking about the skiing ones here). They took a long time to get rid of.

You sound like one of those lucky people who can pickup skills from watching others. But why don't you try out some lessons? If you still feel they aren't worthwhile after then fair enough. You might find them a useful experience and an opportunity to add to your skills from another source.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
With an indoor ski dome the space is very limited and unguided missiles (the non-trained on skis) certainly have the potential to cause accidents. There is a good reason why the minimum standard is to be able to perform 'linked-turns' (or to be with an instructor learning these) to use the main slope and that is purely down to SAFETY. However, this makes the slopes very limited to 'those with cash' as indoor lessons costs the proverbial 'arm and leg'. They aren't places you can suddenly decide to take a friend to if they can't ski - a factor that is a shame when you have kids with friends who would like to go, but I think the concept is sound.

However, there is no similar ability factor applied to real moun stain skiing, i.e something that should be able to achieve before you can leave the nursery slopes. Hence we get situations where 'mates' shove people on snowblades down red-runs to teach them to ski rolling eyes Perhaps it is possible to learn to get safely down an easy run without lessons, but maybe you shouldn't be sold a full lift pass unless you have a ticket that says you can do linked turns - even if this has to be issued by someone watching the nursery slopes. This conversation has been done before, a 'ticket to slide' isn't practical and so we are left with dealing with those that won't have lessons. Ultimately they might be able to make slow and safe passage down a slope (esp. those who are naturally cautious to begin with), but before that stage is reached there is a good chance that some will be a danger to themselves and others (possibly the same breed as the one with the mates on the snowblades, though in our case, even he has now recognised that he would benefit from lessons). However, I don't think there is any way around it unless lessons and a ticket to slide is made compulsory and that will go down like a lead ballon.

The other interesting question is at what level should lessons be taken, esp. once the initial ability to complete a linked turn has been learned. In my own case I had countless lessons and didn't move off a nursery slope snowploughing with an instructor, and it did take someone dragging me around a mountain before I gained sufficient confidence to actually get something out of a lesson.

I don't think there is an answer to the whole issue, or anyway of forcing lessons onto people. It is another 'helmet' and the discussions will run and run IMO
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum,
Quote:
At what level should lessons be taken?
Ummmm . . . Aren't you the one heading for the 'Intro to bumps clinic?'

You know as well as I that we should never stop learning and we will always have more to learn. That doesn't mean that you need to take lessons on every trip, heaven forfend! Shocked But it does mean that we have a responsibility to both ourselves and others to make ourselves as safe and competent on the hill as possible. No, that will not eliminate accidents but it will reduce the frequency.

Reading that jirac18 knows his wife and kids need to take formal lessons . . . fall, tree, fruit, genetics, fail (assemble as you will) . . . and he's too perfect/godlike/cheap . . . yup he's already said that he thinks lessons are to much money for him to 'waste' on others safety. It's the height of hubris for this paragon of piste performance . . . belay that I'm losing my touch . . . this pustule of piste pulchritude to wax lyrical about his own performance and denigrate the rest of his family.

This is a man who's competency which, by his own standards should be limited to bitching about German towels on the sun loungers in Benidorm . . . well, he's hardly gonna go upmarket based on his own statements . . . he uses to to tell a newbie to go for it. If knob cheese were gold this man would be Croesus.

[/mildly irritated mode]

Dam, I must be getting soft, I've not risen to [rant] for such a long time I've almost forgotten the vocabulary . . . let's hope the Anal Pistula honours us with more of his home grown homilies. My anger manage issues are feeling a bit neglected Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IMO attitude and responibility (or lack thereof) are the biggest factors in whether a skier is dangerous. The skiers I see who briefly lose control when they don't want to be out of control are generally travelling slowly and are not really a risk to other slope users It's the idiots who think it is fun to straight line a red piste, lose it, then tomahawk down the slope for 30m narrowly missing other slope users who are the real problem. No amount of lessons are going to change their bad attitude.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, That's put into words exactly what I've been thinking.

Quote:

It's the idiots who think it is fun to straight line a red piste, lose it, then tomahawk down the slope for 30m narrowly missing other slope users who are the real problem. No amount of lessons are going to change their bad attitude.

These are the ones you will never get to admit that they want or need lessons. I think they are also the ones that will never even spend time watching and then slowly trying to mimic other decent skiers on the slopes and trying to self learn until they have some control. They are probably the same ones, that will drink drive and think its acceptable to try and take speed bumps at 60mph and take off whilst driving past a primary school at 3:10pm rolling eyes I imagine that their general approach is not limited to skiing and that all sports and activities probably have their own examples.
snow report
I was boarding down Le Face in Val d'Isere and my toe edge caught in a funny way and sent me on a rail-track right-hander that I briefly couldn't control. I was conscious that I was heading toward someone, so I deliberately faceplanted and came to a halt just near them.

"VOUS ETES DANGEREUX" she told me, furiously.

"Yeah, well you're stood in the middle of one of the Alps' most notorious black runs making a fucking phone call" I couldn't quite work out how to say in French, so I just pootled off again.
ski holidays
I either need a snowboarding lesson, or a French lesson.
ski holidays
Mr Piehole, This forum needs a section for pithy, snappy, crude responses to learn by rote for just those suitable occasions . . .
latest report
Mr Piehole wrote:
I either need a snowboarding lesson, or a French lesson.
If you're on Le Face and catch a 'toe' edge then you're either mad enough to not need lessons or too stupid to know you shouldn't be there Shocked
snow report
I should have skidded down the entire descent on my heel like all the other boarders. That's what you're saying isn't it.
ski holidays
Mr Piehole, marginally more control on your toe edge . . . but it's really not that steep if not mogul'd up and huge fun to point down and roll yer board from edge to edge . . . just stay loose over yer lead leg. Ya should max out @ about 130kliks Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
I've read this with interest. I always have lessons because I am pretty rubbish - well maybe not rubbish but a slow learner. My husband always has lessons because despite skiing for 30 years he says there is always something new to learn (and he likes the social aspect as well).

jirac18 - well done on teaching yourself to the level that you are at but I think it is a pity that you don't see the benefit of lessons in improving your skills and technique.
snow report
Masque, Wow do you have some issues!! You know me not. I'd love to meet you to discuss in person and ljust see how you cope with an adult discussion not controlled and protected by the remoteness of a computer. You are about the most most inconsiderate obnoxious self fulfilling idiot i've ever had the mispleasure of encountering on this forum. The fact you see no other way than your way says its all. You are incapable of having reasoned discussion without throwing personal insults around. Would you care for me to send you my adddress and come round for a cup of tea so we can discuss further my big brave friend! Pathetic and quite horrid about covers you. And I suspect many others see right through you.

Where on this thread or any other did I say I had nothing to learn? you are having a fantasy debate with nobody but yourself. Read and try to understand what I have actually said. I'm stagggered you are unable to understand it!! Fair play some very weird falsely brave people on forums. Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
Incase I've yet to make it clear for anyone.....my point is this and simply this:

I do not need lessons to ski safely and considerately for all others on the piste near or around me.

Could I be a more profficient technical skier if I had lessons?....Yes but I choose not to because thats not what I need to get out of skiing!

Why is that so difficult to comprehend and why oh why does that seem to threaten the likes of Masque, so much.

If as Megamum, suggests we all take the equivalent of a skiing driving test, well i will take that test and I assure you pass it with flying colours without lessons.

Finally I agree I will be a better skier with lessons but I choose not to take them as I only have so many pounds each year and I'd sooner spend them on my wife and kids who don't ski as well as I do and who because of their natural disposition need and want lessons.

I really don't understand why Masque, finds this stance so threatening as to be so abusive....and to stoop to your level Masque, then I feel I should also grammatically correct you in that "to" really should be "too" in the context which you have used it in your previous rant...sorry meant post!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 24-12-12 1:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Masque, I notice your snowhead location is "still up your own back bottom"......how brilliantly perceptive of your own position you appear to be. snowHead

As for others who have quite politely managed to convey their point of view that lessons might be better, I do agree you are probably correct but it is what it is and feel free to not be afraid when I'm skiing past, infront or behind you, coz I'm nowhere near as dangerous as some of people you drive on the roads with every day.

Whether Masque, likes it or not I'm actually a really competent skier with full regard of myself and all around me without having lessons. I may well treat myself to some one day when I feel flush and I'm sure I'll ski all the better for it. But until then guys you all enjoy your time on the slopes as I will. I'm bowing out of thisthread whatever is thrown back at me rightly or wrongly because frankly I'm sure all intelligent snowheads can at least see my point and be reasonable and polite even if they don't fully agree with it. For Smile he who does not agree whatsoever, well you enjoy yourself too you perfect human being and be sure to pop round for that one to one and a cup of tea!. So long folks!
ski holidays
Playing devil's advocate, but surely having lots of lessons could make you a more dangerous skier? You'll get better, and probably therefore ski faster on average. We all know good skiers still mess up every now and then, so if your average speed is higher, then any unforeseen accidents are likely to be worse. I'm applying the same logic as the "not wearing a helmet makes me safer" argument.

As rob@rar, says, I think attitude and responsibility are the main factors. I know plenty of technically crap, but perfectly considerate and safe skiers. Equally, I see plenty of proficient skiers who ski too fast and too close to others to account for unforeseen circumstances.

Edit - But in response to the thread title - lessons.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 24-12-12 1:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
jirac18, I'm not looking to judge or to get on your case..... if finances aloud, would you take lessons ? How will you address the issue when the kids abilities and skiing expectations surpass your own ?
ski holidays
jirac18, As I said, I don't have a problem with you saying you're too cheap to pay for lessons, that's valid, crass but valid. It's your idiocy in stating that they'd be worthless 'cos you're too good already, that's puerile. Particularly in a response to this OP . . . and THAT's why you're an asshat. rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jirac18, I'm with you on this. As it happens, I've taken lots of lessons over the last three years or so, after many years of lesson-free riding. There were various reasons for doing this, none of which had to do with keeping others around me, or even myself, safe from harm. Furthermore, most of the teachers I had during the initial period of resuming tuition said much the same about my skiing: that I was an OK skier, who could ski most of the (pisted) mountain competently and safely, but there were many improvements which could be made. I am perfectly certain I was a safe skier before resuming lessons: I didn't venture into places which were too testing for my capabilities, I was not a speed merchant and I was aware of and adhered to the rules of the mountain. And skiing within my limitations was perfectly enjoyable.

FWIW, I decided to take lessons in order to increase my enjoyment and also to prolong it. My skiing is more efficient now than it was before and I don't get nearly as tired as a result. More areas of the mountain are now open to me. I am not, ahem, in my first youth and my aim is to be able to carry on skiing, conserving my inevitably waning energy, for as long as possible and to be able to exploit as much of the mountain as possible, at speeds which are fun but safe. I'll never be a really gnarly skier now - started too late/came back to lessons too late/not fit enough/insufficiently gung-ho - but I'm gnarlier than I was and enjoy the sport more. But I'm no 'safer' than I was, because I always did ski reasonably competently, within my capabilities and the bounds of safety.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
It's your idiocy in stating that they'd be worthless 'cos you're too good already, that's puerile.
That's not the way I read his posts. He said that he didn't think it was essential to take (formal, paid-for) lessons in order to be safe around other slope users. I think that's a reasonable position to take, provided you have a responsible attitude to your speed control and respect for the people around you.

Masque, it's the friends of the OP who should concern you (head to the nearest steep slope, strap your mate in to a pair of blades and give him a push), not jirac18 who very cleary recognises his responsibilities to the people he shares the mountain with.
snow report
rob@rar, one can hardly blame the recipient of this - Masque's first post addressed to jirac18 - for taking exception to being referred to as an arrogant sociopath!
Quote:
The arrogance of stating that you don't need lessons is the obvious indicator that you do and at some point you will ski outside your competence and with any luck the damage you do will be just to yourself and stop you from putting the rest of us at risk. Your positioning also indicates that are almost certainly a risk taker and probably quite competitive . . . another 'red flag' for a ski-bourn sociopath.
snow report
Pedantica, I'm sure that's right. As I have known Masque for a long time, online and occasionally on person, I'm accustomed to his rhetorical over-egging of the pudding, but for people who are not so familiar with style I guess he can come across in a way which is unintended . There is a kernal of truth in what Masque is saying, but it is being masked by his use of too many words, some of them quite mean-spirited.
ski holidays
OK, I'll role it back . . . though I was hardly at full rant mode . . . I'm turning into a soft old pudding Confused In reality we all know how easy it is to get hurt on the hill (don't we Pedantica . . . my right nut still aches in cold weather wink ) all too frequently by someone who's in a situation or condition outside their range of competence . . . to suggest this is acceptable is sociopathic no matter how good your own self assessment may be. And that's the problem, we have no idea of how good or responsible he is. He's a blank piece of paper suggesting it's perfectly fine to behave in this manner and then to suggest that lessons are worthless for him is lazy arrogance and in front of his kids apparently . . .

All this in a thread that's discussing should a newbie with almost no experience take some lessons . . . That's why he's still an asshat.
latest report
com·pe·tent: 1.Having the necessary ability, knowledge, or skill to do something successfully.
2.(of a person) Efficient and capable.

Synonyms: able - capable - qualified - fit - proficient - efficient

I guess it is a question of interpretation but personally I have not met a competent skier who has not had a lot of instruction - certainly not one who is skillful, knowledgable, effecient or qualified. Does not necessarily mean someone is unsafe, can't get around most places or is not enjoying being on skis
snow report
And this one for expert skiers / boarders

Expert
Ex = a 'has been'
Spurt = a drip, under pressure

Please note - it is Christmas and I am never to be taken seriously
latest report
Although I still think the OP was trolling for a reaction from the BASI 1 aspirants and the other snowheads skiing gods, wink this thread has gone the same way as all the other similar ones here in bendzeknees and is both funny and cringeworthy at the same time. Good on the OP though for once again exposing the jumped-up egos for what they are Toofy Grin

Might just as well argue about helmets though.
latest report
I agree moffatross, anyone who thinks they are a competent or "great" skier without any lessons must have one hell of an ego wink
ski holidays
moffatross, I know, I'm an arѕe Embarassed . . . but an earnest one wink

Re-read my posts . . . nope, I'm content to be an arѕe with this self-taught, nothing more needed, cheapskate, "great" skier; And my 'issues' are all too well known Toofy Grin as now is his puffery rolling eyes

The idea that someone has nothing more needed to learn is beyond arrogant, it's potentially life threatening . . . extreme but within possibility and applicable to many of life's situations. Making a choice not to pursue additional skills is one that can have many valid reasons including cost, but then adding a codicil to that indicating that the price of additional skills is wasted as he's good enough without them is crass, circular logic and revealing in itself.

The mountain is not a benign and fixed environment and in the past has come dam close to killing me and has to a couple of friends (non skiing). They weren't risk takers, they were, we thought fully prepared for all eventualities, obviously they weren't. People are killed and injured in resorts every year and every year new equipment and new people join us on the hill to test our abilities. We have a responsibility to make an effort to keep ourselves and others as safe as possible and not proudly proclaim 'I'm as good as I need to be' (paraphrase).

No, you're not, you just laud your illusion of mediocrity and within averages and luck you will never place yourself, your children or anyone else in danger. There are lots of people on the hill that will get to a skills point and say 'that's it, I'm happy where I am' But they won't go on a ski forum and to all intents and purposes proclaim their lack of skiing credentials as a nadir.

I don't care how good you think you are or even how good you may actually be . . . yer a dick!
latest report
This isn't JIRAC18 but his wife!! I was just reading some forums to get some advice and I came across something that JIRA18 (my husband!) had posted. MASQUE you have totally taken his comments completely wrong. I was actually going to buy him lessons for Christmas but instead he has upgraded ours, not because he thinks he is a "skiing god", of which I do believe you think you are MASQUE!! but because he is a very competent skier, and also very considerate, he NEVER bombs down cutting people up, he always assists when people fall and is great when other children fall into difficulty NehNeh so nahnah to you MASQUE!! Get off your soap box!!

HOWEVER!!! I do believe a few lessons will improve JIRA18's technique but NOT his courtesy and regard for others wink
snow report
Mr Piehole, I'd like to consider that I try to ski without being a danger to anyone on the slopes. I make an effort to ski within my limited abilities, and to be aware of the location of as many of those around me as I possibly can, I look uphill before setting off, don't stop the wrong side of rises or in the middle of the piste etc. and try to instill the same consideration in my kids.

Yet I have seen the time when I had exactly the same as you yelled at me by an ESF instructor in charge of a snake of 10-12 slowly snowploughing youngsters. This was despite the fact that I had stopped behind them for several minutes waiting for a path to widen and then judged that there was sufficient safe space past the group on the right hand side to do very, very short nippy turns down the side of them to get past and ski away from them. I caused no child to stop, scream or I think to even know I was there, yet I got a mouthful of aggro from the instructor for what had been a very considered manoeuvre. It was at that point in time I decided that it was possible to deploy every possible consideration and still not win rolling eyes

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 2-01-13 17:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy