Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne as a pedestrian!!

Poster: A snowHead
The family and I are off to La Plagne (staying at Belle Plagne) for New Year. Last year I tried to keep up with my hubby and our 3 teenage boys, had a nasty fall, and won't be skiing anymore. The family obviously want to ski madly round the place without having to worry about their poor old Mum, but they refuse to go at all unless I come too, so I am spending 8 days in La Plagne as a pedestrian.

I know I can buy a pedestrian lift pass, and I have found a list of the lifts which I can use. Using the gondolas is fairly basic and I can manage that! However, I have a couple of questions about the use of chairlifts - and I would be very grateful if someone could help me out.

How do I get on/off a chairlift if I'm not wearing skis or a board? Do they slow it down like they do for the little kids?
Can I use the chairlift in both directions? (Obviously all the skiers/boarders only go up... can I come down?)
Does anyone know their way around the resort enough to help me navigate - eg I can use the Montchavin and Pierres Blanches lifts from Montchavin village, but it appears to drop me in the middle of nowhere... how would I get back to Plagne Bellecote? Similarly for Montalbert - I can use Montalbert and Fornelet lifts but they only seem to take me half way up to Aime La Plagne!

Any help or advice which anyone can give would be most welcome. The family can't wait until we go (and they assume that I am happy not to be skiing....!) but I am dreading it a bit!

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RozP, it's been a while since I was in La Plagne, but if a lift is designated as a pedestrian lift, I would assume you will be able to travel down as well as up. I do remember seeing some marked walking paths further up the mountain. Obviousl main gondolas will be fine.
. You won't be able to travel around as much as your kids will though, so will probably need to arrange to meet up for lunch in a central spot and perhaps for a coffee or two.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RozP, It will be much like using the lifts as a pedestrian in the summer: In the ski season very few, if any, chairlifts will allow pedestrians. I cannot recall ever seeing a pedestrian on one in La Plagne.
Quote:

How do I get on/off a chairlift if I'm not wearing skis or a board?

Stand in the queue then walk forward and sit on the chair. It is not necessary to slow the lift down. While strolling forward think of the boarders who are trying to do effectively the same thing with a plank strapped to their feet.
Quote:

Do they slow it down like they do for the little kids?

No
Quote:

Can I use the chairlift in both directions? (Obviously all the skiers/boarders only go up... can I come down?).

If the lift allows for pedestrians (and very few chairlifts do) then it will allow you down again. And some lifts also allow for downloading by skiers

I do not think it is possible for pedestrians to get to or from either Montchavin or Montalbert to anywhere else in La Plagne without use of snow shoes or the bus/taxis. However the Navette system and the telecabine will allow you to explore from Bellplagne quite well.

You could always get the bus down to Aime and the train to Chambery for a day out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RozP, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Without wishing to pry, so please don't feel obligated to respond - you say you had a nasty fall trying to keep up with your family and that, as a consequence, you won't be skiing again. May I ask whether the experience has knocked your confidence? Or perhaps the resultant injury is what is preventing you skiing?

I ask because, if the former, there may well be quite a few snowHeads who have similar experiences. Perhaps if they shared them, there may be a way back for you? Even if not trying to maintain the pace of your family, pottering about can still be fun and something one can share. Just a thought Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hells Bells and johnE, thank you both.

I have never seen a pedestrian on a chair lift at La Plagne either.... so I guess I will find out when I get there whether they really mean it when they say that we use the chairs! At least you have both confirmed that I should be able to use the lift in both directions.

I will attempt to meet up with the family for lunch each day - at least I can get to the restaurants early and grab a table! And I will ensure I have lots of books on the Kindle before I go!

Thanks again - if anyone is out at La Plagne after Christmas and you see a solitary walker riding up and down the chair lifts all day - say hello!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chasseur, thanks for the welcome!

I am a keen all-year-round tennis player. My skiing fall last year tore a meniscal cartilege in my knee. Although I have had an op and it is OK now, I do not have as much lateral movement as I would like, and this is a pain for tennis! Also my knee is not as strong as it was, so not too good for skiing either! I decided that I was unwilling to risk another year's tennis for one week of skiing. So it is a mixture of confidence, injury and choosing tennis over skiing.

I guess if I had been a better skier, the situation would not have arisen!

I would actually be OK just pottering about, but La Plagne is not blessed with an abundance of green slopes. The holiday was booked before I realised I would not be skiing this year. Maybe next year we can go somewhere better suited to my very limited abilities!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RozP, Ok bare with me on this, but have you considered learning to snowboard? It's a lot easier on the knees (although sometime harder on the butt during the learning period) as there isn't any lateral twisting, only up-and-down movement, so your knees work in the direction they're supposed to. I've met many ex-skiers over the years, many of them in their 50s or 60s who've learned to snowboard when injury or arthritus has curtailed their skiing. May I suggest you might take a couple of learn to snowboard lessons to break up your walking tour of La Plagne, if you don't get on with it fine, but it might just open the mountains back up to you again.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RozP, that's bad luck Sad

There are some very gentle runs in/around BP (from experience). One run (very green nature) drops down to Bellecote via the apartment/hotel complex just behind the bubble. The Arpette chair then accesses some gentle blues back to BP. Not a huge area to ski, but maybe fine for pottering.

From BP, there is a short chair lift "Belle Plagne" which also serves the run "Belle Plagne" - another short and gentle blue that keeps one in a short circuit around the village.

Could be worth looking at the Ski Mojo - http://www.skiallday.co.uk/sm/using.php Whilst I am in no way qualified to assess whether your injury and potential further damage could be mitigated by using the Mojo, there are many sH's who swear by it - perhaps one or two may come along to share their experience. I do know that it has improved the skiing quality for people with knee issues.

Hope you manage to get back on the planks safely and confidently at some point snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard_Sideways, that's a very good idea! I may try that whilst I am in the right place at the right time. Thank you!
Quote:

many of them in their 50s or 60s
- Yes I fit this description although very much the lower end of it!

Chasseur, thanks again. I am pretty much reconciled for this year (and have allowed the youngest teen to borrow my ski boots for this year!) but "gentle blues" sound good. Some of the blues around La Plagne are not very gentle!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RozP, There are no 'pedestrian chairlifts in La plagne in the ski season.
However, Belle Plagne is served by a Gondola lift from Bellecote which then goes on up to the Glacier. (Belle Plagne is the mid-station) In Bellecote Pedestrians have their own separate entrance to the lift avoiding the queue of skiers/boarders.

So it’s quiet possible for you to go up to Roche de Mio and then up to the Glacier should you wish to!

Once in Bellecote you can take the ski bus around to Plagne Centre and from there you can get the bus down to Plagne 1800 or the Tele Metro up to Aime 2000.

A short walk across the piste in Plagne Centre and you can take the Funi Plagne up to Grand Rochette.

You can also get upto Plagne Villages from Plagne centre in a ‘Yoghurt pot’ lift.

All the above have Restaurants on Piste that you can walk to to meet the skiers for lunch etc.

There is also a frequent ski bus network serving all the Altitude villages

There are also indoor shopping centres in Plagne Centre and Aime 2000
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RozP wrote:
Quote:

many of them in their 50s or 60s
- Yes I fit this description although very much the lower end of it!

Well, the oldest beginner I ever met was into her 80's who decided to learn after seeing one of her great grand kids riding and decided to try because "It looked so graceful" - so you've got time on your side Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

There are no 'pedestrian chairlifts in La plagne in the ski season

I am going to have to check this out, and report back next year! Boredsurfing, I tend to agree with you - we have been to La Plagne a couple of times and have never seen any sign of pedestrians being allowed on chair lifts.

However, http://www.laplagnet.com/lifts/ski/options.html clearly states that "many of the lifts are open to pedestrians" and lists them out - not all are gondolas! The chairlifts appear to be the ones that are open in the summer.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if I get there and am not allowed on the chairs (and since they dump you at the top of a ski run, that might not be a bad thing!)

I shall explore the glacier and La Grand Rochette, thank you. As long as somewhere sells vin chaud, I am sure I will be fine. If a little bored.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RozP, footpaths map from La Plagne website. http://www.la-plagne.com/images/stories/OPGP/decouverte/decouverte/Plan-Pietons-GB.pdf . I would assume the lifts (including chairlifts) that are marked on there will carry pedestrians.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RozP, May I suggest joining ski lessons. Not only would it help to get your confidence back but you will meet lots of people and fend off the boredom. Or even explore cross country skiing

The website does say that pedestrians can use these chairlifts and to me they do not look like summer lifts (not a lot of snowshoeing during the summer). I would think they have it correct as well
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RozP, there is quite a detailed walking map for La Plagne area. And both Oxygene and Reflex offer snow shoe tours! Reflex would probably be more flexible on that and he knows a lot about the area. I've never noticed people on lifts without skis/board but then I've not looked. But I've had a number of people stay in the chalet who haven't skied and have had a good time walking. I may be learning to board in January, so if you do decide, let me know as I'll be pottering/learning to balance around the area!

I will ask at the school tomorrow about 'walking' lifts! If I get any sensible answers I'll let you know.
snow report
Wow, you lot are fabulous!!

Hells Bells - brilliant map which (for some reason) I hadn't found - thank you! Lifts clearly marked as "open to foot passengers" so we have to assume that they are!!

johnE - I think you might be right for next year (if boarding doesn't suit) but, for this year, while my knee is still iffy, I'm staying off skis. You're right about meeting people though - might just hang around at the Oxygene meeting posts, drinking vin chaud and looking hopeful.

chaletgirl - Snow shoe tours are a great idea! We have had lessons in the past with both Reflex and Oxygene so I will see what is going on. Thank you for offering to ask.... very interested in your reply!

I am SO impressed with this site and forum - thank you all so much!
snow report
RozP, Have you www.perso-laplagne.fr lots of info on La Plagne
ski holidays
Hi there again

A quick report from Belle Plagne.... I have today gone down to La Roche (village by the bobsleigh run) on the bus, met the family for lunch, and gone up the La Roche chairlift as a pedestrian. There are specific chairs designated for foot passengers, they slow the lift down when you get on and off, and there were several people going down as well as up. I may well spend the whole day tomorrow going up and down the lift!
I believe I can use the 1800 lift too, but it doesn't set me down in a very accessible place!

I have been walking up the Dou du Praz, and tomorrow we are all doing the moonlight ski down from La Grande Rochette - I'll be the one in the taxi ski!

Having a good time, but I now know that I need to get the knee fit again, cos I want to ski.
latest report
RozP, that's great news. snowHead You say your injury was because of "keeping up" with husband and teenagers. That's such a shame. give up keeping up, get some good lessons, do your own thing. snowHead

We took a 2 year old and a 9 month old to the top of our local mountain on Christmas Eve (which was beautifully warm and sunny). The lift operators made things easy (though there are only very few lifts which do take pedestrians). The 2 year old loved it, and seeing all the skiers was determined to have a go at skiing - and she loved that, too. The baby didn't mind it, but wasn't as impressed!

Snowshoeing is great fun BUT on anything other than a flat prepared path (where they are really not necessary) they are not necessarily easy on the knees, especially traversing a slope.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy