Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What type of boot is best for broad feet?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, I have very wide feet so getting a well fitting ski boot isnt so easy. Or at least from my experiences it hasnt.

I was going to go to snow and rock in gateshead newcastle tomorrow to try and get some new ones. As I mentioned in my other post, I LOVE the look of the solamon quest max boots and i like the idea of the walk mode.

It says on the website it fits "width narrow-medium", do you think this could suit very broad feet still due to the fact its very customaisable?

If this shoe does not suit me can anyone suggest anything better? £350 is my total limit haha.

Also one last thing, I am not a typical slim skiier (sorry thats very stereotypical haha), so my lower leg is not exactly slim, in my eyes boots are designed for thinner legs lol. Just cant seem to find something that works.

(As mentioned in my other post I had some solamon boots a while ago but i feel they are too small).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lange do a wide 100 fit or if in Lech or Schladming, Strolz made to measure if you have the real deal that nothing off the shelf will fit
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The ones a good fitter says are the best ones for your feet!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sainter, you really need to go see a good boot fitter.

A wide boot that accommodates your "wide" feet, does not necessarily fit your feet.

If, eg you have narrow ankles, a narrow boot with increase in width where you need it will fit where a wide boot will leave your ankles loose and be useless.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Head
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Head
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got some boots fitted last week and the fitter made it clear that Salomons are a no go for people with very wide feet. (Not me as the x max 100s fitted beautifully, but the chap across from me was being strongly herded away from them)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ALL boot manufacturers make narrow, medium and wide boots and a load in between, it is a matter of finding the shape which is right for YOUR feet not the guy across the bench, it is a lot easier to make the forefoot of a medium boot wider than it is to make the heel of a wide boot narrower

the other thing to consider is are your feet actually wide...or do you just buy wide shoes because you have been told they are wide, we frequently see people who think they have wide feet yet when measured they are a "B" width, calf muscle tension , excessive pronation and various other biomechanical issues can cause feet to try and "function" wide when they are not really wide, careful support and the correct boot solves the problems
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM, thanks for the advice. It sounds like you're the go to man! I will be booking an appt this summer to get some custom fit boots as I also have big trouble getting good fitting boots, feet are destroyed in a few hours.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I also have very wide feet and bought my boots from Ski Bartlett 4 years ago. There a pair of Atomic B-Tech 120 and fit perfectly after they did lots of remoulding, etc. You shouldn't get hung up on the look of the boot, go with what's comfortable. You're best to go to a reputable boot fitter and even like I did buy a pair from a previous season, because they fitted better. If you're in West London I recommend you visit Ski Bartlett as their range is much larger than the big chains like Snow & Rock.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davkt wrote:
The ones a good fitter says are the best ones for your feet!

+1
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM wrote:
ALL boot manufacturers make narrow, medium and wide boots and a load in between, it is a matter of finding the shape which is right for YOUR feet not the guy across the bench, it is a lot easier to make the forefoot of a medium boot wider than it is to make the heel of a wide boot narrower

the other thing to consider is are your feet actually wide...or do you just buy wide shoes because you have been told they are wide, we frequently see people who think they have wide feet yet when measured they are a "B" width, calf muscle tension , excessive pronation and various other biomechanical issues can cause feet to try and "function" wide when they are not really wide, careful support and the correct boot solves the problems

May be a daft question but I'm newish to here - are you a boot seller/fitter?? and if so, where are you? I'm getting to the point of considering snowboarding purely because my feet hurt so much in my ski boots - they were sold to me when I liked them, not sold to me as the best boot for my feet (I'd only been skiing a couple of weeks in my first season and didn't know any better)

Summer 2013 may well be a time for finding a boot to actually fit my feet Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chaletgirl, CEM, has a link in his signature line that should help you.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
chaletgirl, CEM, has a link in his signature line that should help you.

Ah - should have noticed that!! LOL
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chaletgirl, Yup CEM is one of the best in the business, even has a bit of a reputation for sending people away empty handed or referring people to anote fitter if he hasn't got the right boot for you.
latest report
robk36, I wouldn’t go in the summer if he is like others he won't have a full range of stock, suggest very early winter.
ski holidays
Cynic wrote:
robk36, I wouldn’t go in the summer if he is like others he won't have a full range of stock, suggest very early winter.
I see, thanks for the heads up. When do most retailers tend to stock for the new season? Oct/Nov I guess?
snow report
robk36 wrote:
Cynic wrote:
I see, thanks for the heads up. When do most retailers tend to stock for the new season? Oct/Nov I guess?

august/september for new stock with the stragglers arriving in october if we haven't cancelled them for late delivery
snow conditions
Loads of chaps and chappesses are recommending the Atomic 'active fit' boots. Really good for recreational skiers and those that have issues like you have mentioned... along with getting on and off issues too. They have a small rubber portion on the outside of the foot shich allows for a wee bit of play, but once in they are tight and snug with no slding about or anything. Always come highly recommended.
snow report
CEM wrote:
robk36 wrote:
Cynic wrote:

august/september for new stock with the stragglers arriving in october if we haven't cancelled them for late delivery

thanks. Looks like I'll be seeing you in September then. How do I go about booking an appointment? Obviously I will do so closer to the time.
ski holidays
robk36, just call the office on 01869 244424 and we can get you booked in
ski holidays
davkt wrote:
chaletgirl, Yup CEM is one of the best in the business, even has a bit of a reputation for sending people away empty handed or referring people to anote fitter if he hasn't got the right boot for you.

Thanx for that. Sounds like the person I need to see. I really don't care anymore what the boots look like/make etc (not that I ever did to be fair!) I just want something to fit.

I really struggle to get my feet into and out of my boots and at the moment (only second ski this season) my feet hurt a LOT whilst in them.

Think I need to check that they are the right kind of boot, get them fitted or get different ones and see someone like CEM to get the right advice and help Very Happy

I'll be saving up lots through the summer to get 'sorted' in September!! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy