Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Boredsurfing wrote:
Interesting to see that Gerry Aitken still has influence at the SCGB.

Gerry Aitken has enjoyed (as far as it's possible to judge) considerable influence over SCGB policy during the past decade. He has served one three-year term on the Club's ruling council and is currently halfway through his second (four years this time) term. His posting activities back in 2004 (which I understand - from a well-placed source at the SCGB - led to an official reprimand) led to this thread being started on snowHeads by alexpresland:

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=381

The discussion is worth a quick read. As for spotting Gerry Aitken on the slopes, or in the bars, you'll need to photoshoplift the beer glass from this current official photo:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/user/profile.aspx/gerry-aitken-1#.UP--BvJ7TTo
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For those who remain intrigued by a Club founded in 1903 ... at a table in a large restaurant at the bottom of Regent Street ... which went on to organise some of the most important things in international skiing ...

There have been surprisingly significant developments this week: The SCGB's magazine Ski+Board advertises (p.29) that it's "now online" via the SCGB website, or from the Apple Store, for £2.99 per issue.

P.40 advertises that the chat forum which "used to be a huge favourite among members and has now been relaunched" ... with "links to personal messaging". I use the forum on a read-only logged-out basis (it's not available to me when logged-in as a member) ... so can't comment on this. Has anyone tried the personal messaging?

P.41 presents some surprising membership research which lists various SCGB services that members would like to see developed and improved. Discounts rate highly on this - people want to save more money, apparently. Also high on the list are ""Freshtracks holidays" and "Leader service". But there's no mention of the magazine or website at all. Seems slightly odd for an organisation which is rooted in publishing and communications.

For those who enjoy irony ... or extreme irony in mountainous locations ... there's an article by long-serving ski writer and "former Fleet Street war reporter" Peter Hardy on taking a camper-van to Les Arcs:

Peter Hardy wrote:
My idea was that, in these austere times, it just might be possible to pare the cost of a ski holiday to the bone by taking your own 'chalet' with you to the mountains.

However ... before costing in the rental of the Toyota campervan ...

Peter Hardy wrote:
... petrol and tolls for the return journey worked out at £496.74, while the overnight ferry with a comfortable cabin cost £478.

I guess the latter was optional (presumably the idea of having a bed in the vehicle is not using a bed in another vehicle) ... but this article is worth a percentage of the £2.99. I must admit, though ... reading between the lines and the general impression given by the membership research etc. ... what's the future of journalism from the SCGB? It's been involved in publishing since the first edition of the British Ski Yearbook in 1905.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 25-01-13 17:46; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yawn.

This post has been refreshed/ read just over 1000 time since your last post, no one thought to have an opinion. Fancy that.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Comedy Goldsmith, Is that letter from the Murren Railway Direktion true bill? It's a gem if it is and worth the £2.99 Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blahblahblah wrote:
Yawn.

Prime Minister David Cameron wrote:
'Wake up and smell the coffee': Cameron warns global firms and readers of online ski forums

[Daily Mail headline today, slightly amended to reflect possibly momentous changes to Edwardian ski club]
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Peter Hardy wrote:
... petrol and tolls for the return journey worked out at £496.74, while the overnight ferry with a comfortable cabin cost £478.

I guess the latter was optional (presumably the idea of having a bed in the vehicle is not using a bed in another vehicle)

Seems logical, and that's how I'd do it too..

Sleep while someone else is in charge of the vehicle and drive on the other side, rather than staying awake on the ferry doing not-a-lot and sleeping for 8 hrs on the other side when you could be making progress.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another 'spot audit' of SCGB forum posting activity (in the publicly-viewable sections of the forum) - yesterday 24 Jan:

8 posters contributed 10 posts (2 posters each making 20% of posts)

The 4% rule is still in place at the time of writing, despite official confirmation (earlier in this thread) that it's finished ...

Quote:
Excessive posting
The limit for each member is 4% of the total post count within any 24 hour period. Exceed this limit and will be contacted in regards to your over usage.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
The 4% rule is still in place at the time of writing, despite official confirmation (earlier in this thread) that it's finished ...
Errrmmmm... if there's been official confirmation that it's finished then how can it still be in place?

Anyway, whatever you have unearthed is very very serious indeed. I doubt I'll be able to sleep tonight. Have you called the police?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Rules restaurant (London's oldest: 1798). The obvious place to discuss rules
Bode Swiller wrote:
Errrmmmm... if there's been official confirmation that it's finished then how can it still be in place?

I was relying on creative writer and SCGB director Gerry Aitken 48 hours ago:

Gerry Aitken wrote:
... the 4% has put its coat on and will be leaving very shortly.

So ... how far has the 4% rule progressed between the coat-stand and the front door of Rules?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think it may have hung it's coat here

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you, Chasseur. A slight distraction from the theme of this thread, but welcome nonetheless. TripAdvisor on Restaurante Arse* is short of reviews ...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g580279-d2015604-Reviews-Restaurante_Arse-Teruel_Province_of_Teruel_Aragon.html

Anyone like to comment on their rump steak and cheeky waitress?

------------------------
'Restaurante Back Bottom' to snowHeads
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Comedy Goldsmith, interesting points there I think.

Most of the people I've spoken to think the mag sucks. It's been boring and poorly written for all the time I was a member. My last 2 are still in their wrappers. I think you understandably view things from your own journalistic perspective. But most of us don't care about ski journalism on paper. There are so many different ways of getting info now. I think the last time the club did research 6 or 7 years ago the mag was pretty low down the popularity list too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PM'ing in the re-opened chat forum is not available for registered users. (Suspect it isn't for members either). I suggested it. It's supposed to be on the way - but if and when it arrives it's of no use if no-one actually posts there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Today's SCGB Cairngorm report. In fact, 9 lifts are open today
As a member of the Ski Club of GB with extensive Scottish skiing experience (I've spent more time on Cairngorm than any other single mountain) I've been concerned for some time with the SCGB's snow reporting from the Highlands slopes. Evidence from last winter suggests that the SCGB's reported snow depths are made up in the office, when comparing them with measurements of the Scottish Avalanche Information Service (SAIS). The SCGB declines to reveal where its Scottish data comes from. Just as an example, look at the figures for 16 Dec 2011 ...

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,142607,page=1

Jumping forward to today, 26 Jan 2013, the SCGB reports for Cairngorm "Strong winds have led to the closure of all lifts." In fact, 9 lifts are operational today.

On Monday 17 Dec 2012 an identical report was given: "Strong winds have led to the closure of all lifts." On that day, 8 lifts were running.

More info. here:

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,148384,page=4

On any day, for the Scottish slopes, there are at least 4 sources for up-to-date information ...

General, with snow reports, photo reports and links to further info: www.winterhighland.info
Avalanche and snow depth info: http://www.sais.gov.uk
Info. for lifts/snow/runs status for the five Scottish ski areas: http://ski.visitscotland.com
Scottish mountain weather forecasting, including Cairngorms and west Highlands: http://www.mwis.org.uk

... so it would seem best for the SCGB to link to these, rather than report incorrect data.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Comedy Goldsmith, no point telling us. Perhaps you ought to tell them
ski holidays
JohnHSmith, I would imagine he probably has told them. He posts it on here because, AFAIK, he is still banned from the SCGB forum. And, anyway, some might read the SCGB report and put off a trip when they didn't need to. He's a vital public service Shocked
snow report
JohnHSmith wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, no point telling us. Perhaps you ought to tell them

John, I've been doing that consistently over the past couple of winters, and regularly to the new CEO of the SCGB since July 2012. This is not really an 'us and them' situation, since there is so much cross-over between the SCGB and sHeads.
It's a slightly separate point, but Scotland remains a country within Great Britain, and a high proportion of early 20th century British skiing activity took place on the Scottish mountains (because it was so expensive and complicated to get to the Alps), so the SCGB's activities were somewhat rooted in the Highlands.
snow report

2012 annual report before correction. The percentage of Scottish members was corrected to 4.9%
One other point concerning Scottish skiing. It was interesting to see the map (right) in the SCGB's 2012 annual report, when published online last October. I pointed out to the HQ that the 0.5% figure for Scottish members seemed low (the 2011 number had been 4.8%).
This turned out to be the day before the report went to print. The map was corrected to give a figure of 4.9%.

In other words, I helped the Club realise that every 20th member was resident in Scotland, rather than every 200th!
snow conditions
I think once you might have a very fair point there Mr Gaolsmith. Especially if you stick to it.

Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Today's SCGB Cairngorm report. In fact, 9 lifts are open today
As a member of the Ski Club of GB with extensive Scottish skiing experience (I've spent more time on Cairngorm than any other single mountain) I've been concerned for some time with the SCGB's snow reporting from the Highlands slopes. Evidence from last winter suggests that the SCGB's reported snow depths are made up in the office, when comparing them with measurements of the Scottish Avalanche Information Service (SAIS). The SCGB declines to reveal where its Scottish data comes from. Just as an example, look at the figures for 16 Dec 2011 ...

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,142607,page=1

Jumping forward to today, 26 Jan 2013, the SCGB reports for Cairngorm "Strong winds have led to the closure of all lifts." In fact, 9 lifts are operational today.

On Monday 17 Dec 2012 an identical report was given: "Strong winds have led to the closure of all lifts." On that day, 8 lifts were running.

More info. here:

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,148384,page=4

On any day, for the Scottish slopes, there are at least 4 sources for up-to-date information ...

General, with snow reports, photo reports and links to further info: www.winterhighland.info
Avalanche and snow depth info: http://www.sais.gov.uk
Info. for lifts/snow/runs status for the five Scottish ski areas: http://ski.visitscotland.com
Scottish mountain weather forecasting, including Cairngorms and west Highlands: http://www.mwis.org.uk

... so it would seem best for the SCGB to link to these, rather than report incorrect data.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, that's bad isn't it. They ought to get out of that business if they can't do it properly. Shocked
snow report
No PM facility at present from the forums has been confirmed by G Aitken - apparently the magazine jumped the gun. Don't hold your breath....
ski holidays

Indeed. This seems another bizarre one. All ski forums I've ever used have had personal messaging as an integral and essential element of 'community life'. The function seems to come as standard on any forum software, so it's not clear why there would be any delay with this.

I'm not sure I'd agree with Gerry Aitken's 'magazine jumped the gun' remark. It's not an editorial feature - it's an ad. on page 40, and therefore not the responsibility of the magazine. The mag simply printed what another department of the Club had promised.
snow conditions
I'm surprised the Cairgorm lift company haven't taken some action, as it is potentially losing them custom.
latest report

The SCGB Cairngorm report for today is the same - no lifts running. According to Cairngorm's Facebook report (the mountain had a power cut yesterday and is having IT problems) they are, in fact, running 6 lifts at present. In fairness, I think the SCGB reports are updated daily at 13:30. On the other hand, daily information for Scottish ski areas is only of use in the early to mid morning for full-day or half-day skiers.

As I've said, there's no point in the SCGB posting misinformation when accurate information can simply be linked to.

snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith, are these being updated over the weekend now or is there just some automatic update to the datestamp going on?
latest report
OK I see what's going on, the 'Strong winds have led to the closure of all lifts' or similar text is from the weekday only report updates, but the forecasts are auto-generated so update at weekends. It's thus a bit confusing, if not misleading to have part of the report text under the forecast datestamp.
ski holidays
Never mind SCGB, seems you can't even rely on the Cairngorm ski company for up to date informatoin
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=536002
snow report
Winterhighland, I think you're right but - as you say - it's very misleading for the same incorrect information to be run for 3 days running with successive datestamps. My overall point, again, is that the SCGB site should be linking to accurate daily reports if it can't generate them itself.

On a positive note, this is what one Cairngorm skier posted this morning on Winterhighland - after a Saturday visit (when all lifts were NOT closed):

Dave F wrote:
Was up at cairngorm on Saturday for the first time in two years as I was away all season last year. Because we’d had a late and a hairy drive north from Newcastle the night before we did all the wrong things, arrived very late and hadn’t booked tickets in advance therefore had to queue for some time. What a change at Cairngorm. I’ve watched some changes from afar via this forum and cairngorms website and facebook, but this was the first time in two years I’d witnessed it up close. Before we even arrived at the hill we’d read the early morning condition report, the power going off, then the power returning. All very timely and accurate. On site helpful and cheery ambassadors were out in force managing the ticket queue, provided updates on weather, piste conditions, and letting us know that by the time we arrived at the office we’d be getting half day tickets. Helen I saw you from afar but not to talk too. All the lifties we met were helpful, giving out instruction to boarders struggling with T-bars, helping little ones onto lifts, providing cheerful observations. The food in the ptarmigan was excellent, very tasty sausages. The snow itself was excellent and the conditions of the pistes well maintained. It made for a fantastic day. Well done cairngorm.

And here are Hilly's photos from Saturday, which show how the recent storms have transformed conditions on Cairngorm:

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3221,9,1
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Just for the record - this the SCGB report for Cairngorm so far today (note the striking resemblance to the past couple of days) - Cairngorm is affected by strong winds this morning, but two lifts are valiantly serving skiers on the lower (more sheltered) slopes.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Just for the record - this the SCGB report for Cairngorm so far today (note the striking resemblance to the past couple of days) - Cairngorm is affected by strong winds this morning, but two lifts are valiantly serving skiers on the lower (more sheltered) slopes.

Surely the best snow is on the upper slopes!
snow report
rogg, no doubt true, but the best wind is also on the upper slopes!

Quote:
The windiest place in Britain is almost certainly the summits of the Cairngorm Mountains. On December 19th 2008, a wind of 194mph was recorded, only 37mph short of the world’s official most powerful gust on Mount Washington in New Hampshire in 1934.

Source: http://iberianature.com/britainnature/the-windiest-place-in-britain/
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, when I was there mid 80s they recorded 168mph at the Ptarmigan. I was on the hill at the time. It's when you can tell if your gear really is windproof (from both directions).
latest report
Surely the SCGB has a rep in the Cairngorms that could report on this accurately? They must have someone there, after all they seem to have a rep in every other ski resort. Or do they just put reps in the nice resorts where people want to go for a nice working holiday? I wouldn't mind a working holiday in the Cairngorms for a few months over the winter. I am sure for a small contribution to the cost of running the lifts etc the operators could provide an accurate report.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, when I was there mid 80s they recorded 168mph at the Ptarmigan. I was on the hill at the time. It's when you can tell if your gear really is windproof (from both directions).

Strewth. Iv'e been at the Cairngorm summit when it was gusting 70-75. That was quite strong enough, thank you.
snow conditions

Just to close the loop on this one: Cairngorm have reported that they've closed for the day and are evacuating the mountain. After three days, the SCGB report reverts to truth!

It illustrates the point that Scottish ski conditions sometimes have to be updated every hour or half-hour.
latest report
Back to the subject of this thread:

The SCGB chat forum yesterday received a total of 6 postings from 5 different posters. That followed prominent publicity in the Club's magazine which (according to most recent data) goes to 16,000+ SCGB members (total membership 34,000) and has an ABC-audited total circulation of 24,350. The new chat forum was also promoted last week in the SCGB's Edge newsletter, which goes to "130,000+ subscribers".

High season is rapidly approaching, so maybe there will be a pick-up in traffic.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

High season is rapidly approaching, so maybe there will be a pick-up in traffic.

I think this is the only pick-up in traffic we'll be seeing...

latest report
Comedy Goldsmith, even a dead horse will make a noise if you kick it hard enough.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/X50WO4m3k1E

Masque wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, even a dead horse will make a noise if you kick it hard enough.

I thought you were wrong, but that video proves that you're right.
snow report
Is there another way to stop this coming up orange in the 'your posts' search? I only open it to make it 'not orange'.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy