Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Schuss in Boots wrote:
cathy, I would give you a hefty +1 on that if I weren't so busy feeling cared for.... rolling eyes Laughing

When I think of you three little words spring to mind... 'in the community'... Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

A tendency to post to those who argue against him (Lizzard this time) that he knows who they are...

When he starts claiming to know where I live I'll have him arrested. Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
By the way, Masque is winding everyone up. His years of working for a Swiss cuckoo clock R&D department, coupled with years on JWAZ, and some testing moments on US freeways, have obviously taken him into another Zone. It's always the same filth, though.

Hang on a mo! Neutral
Quote:
It's always the same filth
. . . I always have fresh filth . . . these days it's less visceral, or is that viscous?, and I rarely leak into the forum as there are few reasons to except provocation . . . the sock weasel that left its scat in the OP is provocation. However I suppose I should behave . . . where's a sulk smillie when you need one Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Comedy Goldsmith, If you'd have seen Anchorman you would have a) known the answer, b) seen a real journalist at work NehNeh
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
SCGB FORUM AUDIT 00:01 hrs 10 JANUARY

As promised, here is the posting pattern for the SCGB forum over the past 7 days. I mentioned that there would be astonishing – if not globe-shattering - news, which is that the first two days (3-4 Jan) saw posts exceeding the 25 per day minimum for the first time. That is the minimum number of daily posts necessary to make an individual post ‘legal’ under the new ‘4% rule’.

The traffic then fell sharply again on 5 Jan and has not recovered, rendering ‘illegal’ all posts made during the past 5 days, including those posted by SCGB forum officials and council members who drew up the rules in the first place. It’s not uncommon for posters to exceed 20% to 30% of all posts in a day, since this offence will be committed simply by writing 3 or 4 posts.
At its busiest times before ‘MO Day’ in Feb 2004, when the SCGB forum closed to the general public, it was clocking hundreds of posts per day, but now sees fewer than a couple of dozen (about one per hour on average) on a typical day. Traffic levels are probably around 2% to 5% of what they were at that time.

3 Jan: 27 posters made 40 posts
4 Jan: 19 posters made 32 posts
5 Jan: 9 posters made 11 posts
6 Jan: 8 posters made 13 posts
7 Jan: 14 posters made 23 posts
8 Jan: 15 posters made 17 posts
9 Jan: 13 posters made 14 posts

Due to the futility of this exercise, it will cease until further notice. As a SCGB member, I cannot recall anything quite as absurd as the ‘4% rule’ since becoming a member in 1962. It is the equivalent of putting a tachometer on a tortoise or giving a giant panda a contraceptive.

BBC report:
Quote:
Among the most ridiculous laws listed by UKTV Gold were:
• It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27%)
• It could be regarded an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen's image upside-down (7%)
• Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned (5%)
• In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants (4%)
• The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen (3.5%)
• It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing (3%)
• It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour (3%).

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7081038.stm
For comparison, here are out posting totals for those days:
2013 01 03 1319
2013 01 04 1282
2013 01 05 946
2013 01 06 1110
2013 01 07 1422
2013 01 08 1656
2013 01 09 1572

nb: Nobody broke our 4% rule
Because we don't have one of those
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
admin wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
SCGB FORUM AUDIT 00:01 hrs 10 JANUARY

As promised, here is the posting pattern for the SCGB forum over the past 7 days. I mentioned that there would be astonishing – if not globe-shattering - news, which is that the first two days (3-4 Jan) saw posts exceeding the 25 per day minimum for the first time. That is the minimum number of daily posts necessary to make an individual post ‘legal’ under the new ‘4% rule’.

The traffic then fell sharply again on 5 Jan and has not recovered, rendering ‘illegal’ all posts made during the past 5 days, including those posted by SCGB forum officials and council members who drew up the rules in the first place. It’s not uncommon for posters to exceed 20% to 30% of all posts in a day, since this offence will be committed simply by writing 3 or 4 posts.
At its busiest times before ‘MO Day’ in Feb 2004, when the SCGB forum closed to the general public, it was clocking hundreds of posts per day, but now sees fewer than a couple of dozen (about one per hour on average) on a typical day. Traffic levels are probably around 2% to 5% of what they were at that time.

3 Jan: 27 posters made 40 posts
4 Jan: 19 posters made 32 posts
5 Jan: 9 posters made 11 posts
6 Jan: 8 posters made 13 posts
7 Jan: 14 posters made 23 posts
8 Jan: 15 posters made 17 posts
9 Jan: 13 posters made 14 posts

Due to the futility of this exercise, it will cease until further notice. As a SCGB member, I cannot recall anything quite as absurd as the ‘4% rule’ since becoming a member in 1962. It is the equivalent of putting a tachometer on a tortoise or giving a giant panda a contraceptive.

BBC report:
Quote:
Among the most ridiculous laws listed by UKTV Gold were:
• It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27%)
• It could be regarded an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen's image upside-down (7%)
• Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned (5%)
• In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants (4%)
• The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen (3.5%)
• It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing (3%)
• It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour (3%).

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7081038.stm
For comparison, here are out posting totals for those days:
2013 01 03 1319
2013 01 04 1282
2013 01 05 946
2013 01 06 1110
2013 01 07 1422
2013 01 08 1656
2013 01 09 1572

http://youtube.com/v/qMa0CxgCqiM

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

A tendency to post to those who argue against him (Lizzard this time) that he knows who they are...

When he starts claiming to know where I live I'll have him arrested. Laughing

Joke of the century, with audience (one member) canned laughter popped in at the end by the author.

stoat of the dead wrote:
In this thread he has specifically ... impugned a decent man.

The man referred to - former chairman of the SCGB, Neil Britten - oversaw the series of legal threats against snowHeads in 2011. He previously represented the view of Council, at the November 2004 SCGB AGM, that the Club could not be involved in an open public chat forum because of legal (libel) liability. There was no resumption of the SCGB forum in the 8 ensuing years, including the 5 of his chairmanship. In no way have I impugned this perfectly decent man. I've simply pointed out that he was in the right place at the right time, when the wrong decisions were made. Neil Britten was on SCGB Council in Feb 2004, when MO Day occurred, having joined the Council just over 2 months earlier. He is at perfect liberty to challenge any of those facts, or present his own version/explanation of events.

PJSki wrote:
Face it, Comedy, you haven't got a clue and have resorted to making things up [the death of a third skier with a SCGB rep]. You seemingly have two people on your side, one says you're mad and the other keeps bring homosexuality into the debate.

I didn't make it up: the death of the third skier is confirmed on a cast iron kosher document, which I have seen. No more can be said about it, except that the authenticity of the document can - of course - be verified by the right people [this is highly unlikely]. As I've previously said, the Verbier-based journalist Doug Sager - who used to write for The Times - took the view back in 1989, in Skiing UK magazine (p.69, summer edition), that the death of one skier (24-year-old Aberdonian, Michael Mahaffy) was enough to seriously question whether unqualified people - such as SCGB reps - should be leading skiers off-piste in a quasi-professional/semi-amateur way. I was inclined to agree with him at the time, 23+ years ago.

-----------------------------------

I got back from work at Southbank Centre (one of this country's greatest, most creative and most diverse non-profit enterprises) last night, to find additional uncreative crap - above - on the thread. My instinctive reaction - rightly or wrongly - was to remove the feast of facts I've written for this thread over the past few weeks.
At some future stage, maybe all the stuff is retrievable. For the moment, there are better things to be getting on with.

Hasta la pista, baby
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

PJSki wrote:
Face it, Comedy, you haven't got a clue and have resorted to making things up [the death of a third skier with a SCGB rep]. You seemingly have two people on your side, one says you're mad and the other keeps bring homosexuality into the debate.

I didn't make it up: the death of the third skier is confirmed on a cast iron kosher document, which I have seen. No more can be said about it, except that the authenticity of the document can - of course - be verified by the right people [this is highly unlikely]. As I've previously said, the Verbier-based journalist Doug Sager - who used to write for The Times - took the view back in 1989, in Skiing UK magazine (p.69, summer edition), that the death of one skier (24-year-old Aberdonian, Michael Mahaffy) was enough to seriously question whether unqualified people - such as SCGB reps - should be leading skiers off-piste in a quasi-professional/semi-amateur way. I was inclined to agree with him at the time, 23+ years ago.

Yet according to you the information isn't in the public domain. Puzzled Was it murder?

Michael Mahaffy is just some bloke. The authorities made no prosecution, so we must assume there was no fault. Was there even a civil claim? No there wasn't. But don't let all the facts be know, whatever you do, people might make their own minds up.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
admin wrote:
here are out posting totals for those days:
2013 01 03 1319
2013 01 04 1282
2013 01 05 946
2013 01 06 1110
2013 01 07 1422
2013 01 08 1656
2013 01 09 1572

Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
to find additional uncreative crap - above - on the thread.
Sorry for the lack of creativity. Are you saying I should have made some figures up? Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I noticed, in Hampstead, yesterday that not only was Goldfish closed down, but a Police incident had closed the station preventing me taking the black run into Moorgate. Damn annoying, really.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chasseur wrote:
Goldfish closed down

Only to the extent that I am not posting (anything of any worth) on snowHeads at the present time.

Chasseur wrote:
a Police incident had closed the station preventing me taking the black run into Moorgate.

I assume this is a witty reference to the Northern line of the Tube, which is black on the map. As a goldfish, I would never ski to Moorgate (whether closed down or not)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Only to the extent that I am not posting (anything of any worth) on snowHeads at the present time.

I dont think I ever have........ Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well... what a shame this has all finished.... i was enjoying it!

Comedy Goldsmith, IMO you have really damaged your credibility here.
By deleting all your posts (but still havnig them quoted by other snowheads anyway) really shows up your lack of confidence in anything you have written; which in-turn then demolishes any argument you were carrying.... shame really.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WTF! . . . not an admirable choice of action.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flangesax wrote:
Well... what a shame this has all finished.... i was enjoying it!

By deleting all your posts (but still havnig them quoted by other snowheads anyway) really shows up your lack of confidence in anything you have written; which in-turn then demolishes any argument you were carrying.... shame really.

Perhaps (belatedly) Comedy Goldsmith has decided to follow the first rule of the Tea Club:

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
flangesax wrote:

Masque wrote:
WTF! . . . not an admirable choice of action.

You are, of course, absolutely right, except that I stand by everything that was deleted. If you look at the timing of admin's posting with quote (23:33 on 10 Jan), it coincided with the exact time I was busy deleting everything.

The action was simply one of annoyance, on return from an evening's work (as explained above).

I apologise for this 'drama queen behaviour', but understand that the process isn't irreversible. The world will continue to revolve, and gravity will continue to act upon skis.
ski holidays
Quote:

The world will continue to revolve, and gravity will continue to act upon skis.

you know.... i'm not too sure about that Skullie Skullie
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, acting in pique is also something to be avoided. You get a lot of lambast here . . . not always deserved but occasionally earned . . . a pause for a cuppa before a repeat, perhaps?
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
. . . a pause for a cuppa before a repeat, perhaps?

Quite right, after all we are discussing the Tea Club as I posted above.... wink
latest report
Alastair Pink, Aren't Tea Parties for little girls with no friends?
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith, Not again... rolling eyes

David - please. This isn't good. I've said it before - I think you have a lot to offer this site.
But you really need to decide whether it is good for you.
The same pattern again and again -

cheery happy posts of great interest
then over-interpretation of data to suit your agenda and obsessions
you start ignoring direct pertinent questions
conversations becomes increasingly nasty - and that works in both directions
then toys-out-of-pram...

Is this making you happy? Sad
snow conditions
That is quite untrue. I've got nothing to "offer this site" except an old cement mixer, an obsolete fuse box and a selection of used bricks.

Is it making me happy? I guess so ... in the silly, immature and irritating way that you describe.
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith, read and really take on-board what Masque, and stoat of the dead, have written above
latest report
Quote:

I've got nothing to "offer this site"

Agreed. The very slightly amusing stuff isn't worth the rest of it.
snow report
If it make shim happy, we don't have to read it.
ski holidays
blahblahblah wrote:
If it make shim happy, we don't have to read it.
Exactomundo.

Why do people confuse internet forums with real life.
ski holidays
Quote:

I've got nothing to "offer this site"

which is why I used that + button to ignore

but if he wants to delete all his posts, then I'm happy to unignore and leave my ignore list containing only stanton.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leave me out of stanton
snow conditions
blahblahblah, +1
snow report
Enough of this tedium. It's time for another nerve-tangling spot audit of the SCGB Chat Forum:

16 Jan: 9 posters made 11 posts
17 Jan: 8 posters made 8 posts

So, apart from a blip on 3-4 Jan (see above), when traffic exceeded the crucial level of 25 posts per day (which makes each one legal) ... all posters are continuing to break the new '4% rule'.

We're heading for the high season now, so hold your breath for the big rush.
snow conditions
By the way ... to all the carpers and whingers:

This thread is now approaching 38,000 hits over 17 pages and 670 posts. It began on 18 December.

The legendary Dawn Chorus, in the Apres Zone, has had 16,000 hits over 48 pages and 1917 posts. It began on 20 Sep 2012.

Some people say they hate it, but the fact is that this thread - which is only one month old today - has been running red hot since it started. I wouldn't be surprised if Murdoch made a takeover bid.
ski holidays
Admin, or Comedy Goldsmith... what is/was 'MO Day'?

greg
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith, people go and look at car crashes as well, doesn't mean we need any more of them.
ski holidays
wittenham, My guess is "Members Only" Puzzled
latest report
wittenham, It was Members Only day. When the SCGB forum was made members only from being open to non members previously. This led to Snowheads being born to house the homeless. snowHead
latest report
wittenham wrote:
Admin, or Comedy Goldsmith... what is/was 'MO Day'?

4 February 2004. The day that the SCGB closed its public ski forum and restricted access to members only (MO).
snow report
Since which point the ski club forum has been a tad moribund, whereas this one hasn't. Which was both entirely predictable and utterly unimportant.
latest report
Utterly unimportant? The former has a (stated) 34,000 members and employs around 28 people. From your elevated (sic) perspective it's clearly unimportant - that's fine - but in the context of 21st century communication and survival ... I'd have thought that it's extremely im ... portant.

I suppose you could also describe the closure of HMV and Blockbuster as "unimportant", but business (since we're really talking about that) is all about being ahead of the curve. Maybe the ski resort that employs you has competitors. Would you be happy - and consider it "unimportant" - for it to be in the 'old school' in terms of communications and empathy with its target market?
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
blahblahblah, +1
+2
Personally, I find it interesting to compare snowHeads' performance against all the other snow related forums.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy