Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Will be interesting to see how many of our 18 "Rep Resorts" will be happy to host the rep with the new restrictions after this trial season.......
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I see Ian Holt, the Interim CEO, has been appointed CEO.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alastair wrote:
I see Ian Holt, the Interim CEO, has been appointed CEO.

That is, perhaps, the least significant aspect of today's news. Officially ...

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/about-the-ski-club/press-centre/press-releases/2019/07/ian-holt-appointed-as-chief-executive-of-ski-club-of-great-britain

Quote:
Ian Holt appointed as Chief Executive of Ski Club of Great Britain
23 July 2019
The Ski Club of Great Britain Council is pleased to announce that Ian Holt has been appointed as its new Chief Executive Officer.
Ian has a wide range of experience across the business world including financial services & insurance and start-up businesses, having started his career in the wine trade.

He has been a Ski Club Council member for seven years, the last two as Treasurer/vice-Chairman, which has proved a huge benefit in providing continuity since the previous CEO’s departure, during which time he has acted as interim CEO.

Ian is a hugely enthusiastic skier, being a regular in Val Thorens having first visited over 30 years ago. He learned to ski as a teenager, mainly visiting the well-known Austrian resorts. He has also been an active volunteer Rep for the Club.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have skied with Ian on multiple occasions in the 3 Valleys (in his role as SCBG Leader, when they were still tolerated).
I hold him in high regard - he is eloquent, great company both on and off the slopes and passionate about skiing.
Good luck to him in his new(ish) role.

PS - He suggested that I looked at/joined snowHeads - I'm very glad that he gave me that advice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@HossDoc, That's good to hear... There's plenty of room on this planet for both Snowheads and SCGB...

And Val Thorens is a cracking resort, IMHO..! Look out for the penultimate stage of the Tour de France finishing there on Sat... That's quite a climb up from Moutiers!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is there time to get the massive SnowHeads banner outside l’Oxalys, before the Tour de France rolls into Val Thorens?
snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@HossDoc,
Quote:

I have skied with Ian on multiple occasions in the 3 Valleys (in his role as SCBG Leader, when they were still tolerated).

I hold him in high regard - he is eloquent, great company both on and off the slopes and passionate about skiing.

Since the two leaders have much in common, perhaps an era of entente cordiale beckons for SCGB and snowHeads?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PeakyB, one can only hope rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last night ...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1982896695146541/

... were you there?

Photos, video, recollections, signed menus, hotel toiletries, postcards ... all welcome.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On Facebook Wengen say they have just received the "Best European Resort" award in London, I presume that was at the aforementioned event. https://www.facebook.com/wengen.swiss/?__tn__=%2CdkCH-R-R&eid=ARBMARqjBK38n74aOdZHchaxa_s2cRt9Px-77uKEvifHmETK3Xg5iO2otMpK9-ufed7dXMmml5X4r81Q&hc_ref=ARSU0WBFn2340ecDboYHmLIybW9gZSa6Gxt_DrDKdr-4rs1lOj6dc6XTdXzQoYWDwv0&fref=nf&hc_location=group
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink wrote:
On Facebook Wengen say they have just received the "Best European Resort" award in London, I presume that was at the aforementioned event. https://www.facebook.com/wengen.swiss/?__tn__=%2CdkCH-R-R&eid=ARBMARqjBK38n74aOdZHchaxa_s2cRt9Px-77uKEvifHmETK3Xg5iO2otMpK9-ufed7dXMmml5X4r81Q&hc_ref=ARSU0WBFn2340ecDboYHmLIybW9gZSa6Gxt_DrDKdr-4rs1lOj6dc6XTdXzQoYWDwv0&fref=nf&hc_location=group

Oddly its missing the word “ski”.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chemmy Allcot was tweeting from the awards ..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From the SCGB Facebook page:

Congratulations to the following award winners:

Best Tour Operator or Travel Agent:
Winner - Ski Safari
Highly Commended - VIP SKI
Commended - Sunweb

Best Retailer:
Winner - SportPursuit
Highly Commended - Ski Bartlett
Commended - Lockwoods Ski & Outdoor

Best European Resort:
Winner - Wengen Switzerland
Highly Commended - Val d'Isère
Commended - Zermatt Matterhorn

Best Rest of the World Resort:
Winner - Whistler Blackcomb
Highly Commended - SkiBig3
Commended - Niseko

Best Airline:
Winner - British Airways
Highly Commended - Swiss International Air Lines
Commended - easyJet

Best British Airport:
Winner - Edinburgh Airport
Highly Commended - Bristol Airport
Commended - Manchester Airport

Female GB Snowsport Athlete of the year (Ski Club Member Vote):
Winner - Jasmin Taylor
Highly Commended - Kirsty Muir Freestyle Skier
Commended - Jess Anderson

Male GB Snowsport Athlete of the year (Ski Club Member Vote):
Winner - Dave Ryding - Skier
Highly Commended - James 'Woodsy' Woods
Commended - Ollie Davies Ski Cross
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They missed out the most important category!!

Best Forum:
Winner - snowHeads
Highly commended - who cares?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Best Retailer - SportPursuit????

Now we know its a pi$$ take. Or is that a pi$$ up.

Edited to fix for the obscenity filter
latest report
Good show in The Club I say.
They have successfully identified 3 ski retailers still operating in the UK.
A wonderfully diverse selection of resorts, covering the sublime to ridiculous.
By 'Best Airline' one assumes 'Best hope of advertising spend' but the Swiss chappies wont be pleased with 2nd place when they've been doing us discounts and the like.

Best Forum:
Winner - New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum page on snowheads
ski holidays
Very Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 27-09-19 22:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Who won the best trans snowsport journalist award?
latest report
ster wrote:
Best Retailer - SportPursuit????
Now we know its a pi$$ take. Or is that a pi$$ up.

Gerry Aitken, long-time SCGB rep and 7 years on the Club's Council, is defending the integrity of the SCGB's nomination/voting process regarding SportPursuit ... with all the composure and restraint of a bull in a china shop (where excellent personal service is offered to all bulls - as distinct from online china shops) ...

Gerry Aitken wrote:

If they sell excellent value stuff to British skiers then they are supporting British skiing.

Gerry Aitken wrote:

When I want to buy something I ask myself three questions: 1. Do I need it? 2. Can I afford it? and 3. Where can I get it the cheapest? I’m not interested in subsidising unprofitable business models.

There's then a slight change of tone ...

Gerry Aitken wrote:

One thing is for sure and that’s that the ski club needs to take a good long look at its relationship with the British ski industry. The Ski Club is there for the benefit of its members not shopkeepers ... I think the Club needs to wean itself of off advertising revenue.

... but then a preference for litigation (against free speech) rears its ugly head ...

Gerry Aitken wrote:

If I had anything to do with the running of the ski club right now, you would be getting a letter from our lawyers.

Source [see comments]: https://www.facebook.com/TheSkiClub/posts/10157868511338109
snow report
Re: Sport Pursuit - if you are on their mailing list you got the invite to take the survey, imagine how big that mailing list is compared to S&R or Brighams... then add a prize incentive and invitation bias... hardly surprising
snow conditions
Wonderful to see Gerry with his claws out on The Club page.
There is value in consistency.
He has done well at The Club, considering.

So we have got to the root of the matter?
Hanlon's Razor applies.
latest report
Hmmm. Awards. Now wasn't sHs supposed to have some of those. I'm sure they must be pretty much ready to launch by now.........
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Hmmm. Awards. Now wasn't sHs supposed to have some of those. I'm sure they must be pretty much ready to launch by now.........

Ah yes, I seem to recall that was the brilliant wheeze of a certain Phil Keith : https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=73710

After getting less than favourable feedback to his ideas from sH posters he apparently went off and set up his own rival snowsports forum along with the aforementioned awards scheme. I wonder whatever happened to that..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
In a @paulio tribute act I'm pretty sure it's fair to describe Mr Keith, he of the selfless and self sacrificing mission to enhance Snowheads power and influence for the good of all, as a giant bulging throbbing veiny member.
latest report
At the risk of stoking the flames, I had a quick spin through the 2019 report (via SCGB website) - the financials look scary- 840k financial loss for 2019, 340k 'writeoff' of web devt, significant reduction in 'cash at hand', steadily declining membership (3000 lost 2017-2019), and a 13% drop in freshtracks booking last season. I'm no financial expert, but those £ numbers don't look sustainable in the medium term... and it's not like they have a USP anymore...
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
In a @paulio tribute act I'm pretty sure it's fair to describe Mr Keith, he of the selfless and self sacrificing mission to enhance Snowheads power and influence for the good of all, as a giant bulging throbbing veiny member.
As I'm sure you'll recall, it transpired he was actually a number of members.
snow report
How the fark could they have blown 340k on web dev for an operation that size?
a. somebody saw them coming
b. somebody in-house is a mug
c. both
snow conditions
I would definitely look at that "web development" number. That's a write-off, so possibly it was spent over a number of years, and maybe they had used some spurious "business plan" to justify it as an "investment"? But if they burned that in a year then, well, it's about £500 a day for decent web developers, and these days most stuff companies need is available pretty much ready made for free. You're more likely to take costs for graphic design, but that's a huge number for that too...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
x7 wrote:
a. somebody saw them coming
b. somebody in-house is a mug
c. both

d. Members (whose cash that was) are mugs

Laughing

It would be interesting to see who were the recipients of that cash. I'm sure there'd be no connections to the bigwigs.
ski holidays
x7 wrote:

Very difficult to achieve unless there's a ton of back office work we can't see or app development. But even then! As far as I can see it is just a brochure website and not a very compelling one at that - max £10k? Somebody somewhere did very well out of it and I notice that the developers name isn't anywhere to be seen in the footer.

Quote:
I'm sure there'd be no connections to the bigwigs
So, who built it?
snow report
Looks like they've built it on a pricey CMS - that'll swallow up costs pretty quickly just for the platform. And then the higher costs of getting the right devs...

(I've built sites on the same CMS, I know the costs. I wouldn't have chosen they one they have for their needs, it's overkill)
snow conditions
Quote:

So, who built it?

Pfft who cares! It's the members' money.
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
Looks like they've built it on a pricey CMS - that'll swallow up costs pretty quickly just for the platform. And then the higher costs of getting the right devs...

(I've built sites on the same CMS, I know the costs. I wouldn't have chosen they one they have for their needs, it's overkill)

Maybe geared for that growth in membership that was to happen?
latest report
Well their "new" website is far worse than their old one. Takes some doing in C21. Maybe they are developing a new one and writing off the current "new" one. As a current Scgb member I will renew for one more year to see how reps (don't?) work and then review.
ski holidays
Haven't been a member for years - but in the light of this thread, I popped across to have peek. Site looks professional and it loads quickly. Hardly anybody uses the forum.
snow report
Wow this is a long thread...What's the story here then?
snow conditions
@Ryunis, oh dear God. Read the thread if you really want to know. You will probably lose the will to live at some point
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Ryunis, oh dear God. Read the thread if you really want to know. You will probably lose the will to live at some point

I'm not sure the weekend is long enough for 134 pages ha! It just soubds like an interesting story and i'd be curious to know a very basic summary, although that's probably asking someone a big favour! It sounds like a story of an outdated business model, questionable governance but also some bitter ex members with an axe to grind. Maybe a bit of all three?
snow conditions
@Ryunis, that'll do
latest report
Quote:

It sounds like a story of an outdated business model, questionable governance but also some bitter ex members with an axe to grind.

Welcome to modern day UK Plc. rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy