Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
On the rocks wrote:
..I've enjoyed fantastic off piste skiing in December..

I bet YOU did snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On the rocks wrote:
Davina Goldballs wrote:
SCGB UPDATES

To promote December as a month to enjoy "great" off-piste skiing has got to be 'bullshit of avalanche proportions'. [end of rant]

I've enjoyed fantastic off piste skiing in December (not every year but most times I've been) with the SCGB and on other occasions with friends, Val D'Isere, Tignes, Argentiere (great run down Pas de Chevre all the way down to Chamonix), pleasantly few people, especially whinging old has-been bullshitters with unfeasibly large chips on their shoulders

Same here but the old woman who lives in a ski boot has spoken! Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 24-09-17 16:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In the past December off piste has been too good with entire resort shut except 1 lift. Had to resort to skinning in a blizzard, and digging car out every other day to clear a metre of snow!
Otherwise enjoyed good o/p in Dec.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
limegreen1 wrote:
Dear God .. can no one read ???

Oh, the irony! Laughing

Thanks for your support, Hurtle Cool . We, "old women who live in a ski boot", (copyright Gentleman Gerry, utterly charmless representative of SKGB), have to stick together. (Only when we're right, obviously wink .)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@maggi, I believe the delightful Gerry - who evidently also can't read - thinks that we were opining on whether off-piste was good in December. Neither of us expressed a view on that (not being really qualified to do so, at least I'm not) but he didn't notice.

I have absolutely no bloody idea why I'm posting on this thread at all, since I have zero interest in the topic. Silly me.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle wrote:
I have absolutely no bloody idea why I'm posting on this thread at all, since I have zero interest in the topic. Silly me.

Laughing Laughing Laughing I know! I hardly ever get tempted but sometimes I just can't help it.

I'm now off to post in the new Strictly thread where I do have an interest. (Cue disparaging comments from people who think it's beneath them to watch such frivolous rubbish but I don't care! Little Angel )
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just revisited the forum chat....its very quiet
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Brookes wrote:
just revisited the forum chat....its very quiet

That'll be because it's outside the ski season. They'll all be away posting on their motor racing, bull fighting or mountain climbing forums
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
However,

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/travel/where-to-start-the-ski-season-early-five-of-the-best-resorts-to-visit-before-december/ar-AAsin5b?li=BBoPU0T

Or so says The Telegraph Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I so look forward to the SCGB bullfighting forum. It's an area where admin has sadly neglected us and which could well see a reversal of traffic from sHs to THE club.

Best muleta fitters anyone? Or should I save some money and buy mine from Decathlon as I can take it back if I am only mildly gored?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK, I've been thinking about solutions.

Since we can probably mostly agree by this point that the SCGB is losing members, the gravy train is slowly grinding to a halt thanks to the public not being really reliant on guiding and the French and others deciding to end this idea of guiding when instructors could be doing the work, what do they honestly have to lose by employing DG as their new chief strategy officer?

It couldn't be more dysfunctional than it currently is, Gerry might turn up for the meeting with HR to try and "resolve their differences" and we wouldn't have to keep watching this 4K UHD slow motion car crash. Plus he might actually come up with some stuff and get some things done, which the incumbents don't seem to be achieving.

Votes in favour?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

what do they honestly have to lose by employing DG as their new chief strategy officer?

Can I have first go? can I?

- Teamwork
- Leadership
- Job security
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
olderscot wrote:
Quote:

what do they honestly have to lose by employing DG as their new chief strategy officer?

Can I have first go? can I?

- Teamwork
- Leadership
- Job security

Of course admin rejected all of goldsmith's ideas for the future direction snowHeads, 'delusional' I think was the description he gave them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gerry wrote:

Of course admin rejected all of goldsmith's ideas for the future direction snowHeads, 'delusional' I think was the description he gave them.

Beyond being paid 20 quid per post can you remind us what they were again?

I assume the Ski Club "chat room forum thingy" is not a major priority for the ski club?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
Gerry wrote:

It's classified.

Quote:
I assume the Ski Club "chat room forum thingy" is not a major priority for the ski club?

I think the Ski Club is more interested in Facebook rather than hosting their own chat forum.
snow report
Gerry,

I see you're still winning friends and influencing people... Yeah right.....

I presume you're the same Gerry who I came across when I posted on the scgb website last year.... After which I will never bother to post there again because of the level of pettiness and crabiness displayed by you and 1or 2 other posters then.

So well done son, I'm not easy to p##s off irrevocably, but you managed it. My suggestion is that Yourself and fellow chip merchant Dg, should form an exclusive ski club of 2 members. I might even organise crowd funding for such a worthwhile venture, if it keeps ye busy with your own internal affairs. And jeez do ye love your own internals....

P s. Apologies to other posters here but I had to get that off my chest.
ski holidays
@horgand, no need to apologize, you speak for many.
snow report
horgand wrote:
Gerry,

I see you're still winning friends and influencing people... Yeah right.....

I presume you're the same Gerry who I came across when I posted on the scgb website last year.... After which I will never bother to post there again because of the level of pettiness and crabiness displayed by you and 1or 2 other posters then.

So well done son, I'm not easy to p##s off irrevocably, but you managed it.

I assume you're were talking a load of rubbish, got called out and ran off in a sulk. Do you still wet the bed?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 27-09-17 21:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
^ and there you have a prime example of petty. What a clunt! rolling eyes
latest report
Being a scgb member and regular participant, also a supporter of scgb on this forum I've skied with horgand a number of times in and around Argentiere; I love the Chamonix valley. I hope he won't mind me saying that he's is a very good skier and safe off-piste partner and great company too. As far as I know not prone to bed-wetting. I haven't had the pleasure of skiing with Gerry yet so can't say if the boorishness of his internet persona is reflected in real life. Gerry if I ever book on one of your trips I guess I may find out, but I'm not holding my breath Toofy Grin wink Puzzled
ski holidays
@Gerry, Trying to get a PR job at Ryanair I see, way to go. You must feel proud of your kind words.😳
latest report
Rosey44 wrote:
@esaw1, sorry if my reply came across as terse. That was not my intention. However, everything is on schedule to have Leader details online in late Sept - this was the case last year as well. Thanks.

And......
snow conditions
@esaw1, I must say I'm puzzled by your question/ implied criticism, especially on snowHeads rather than SCGB. As you will have checked the site you surely would have seen the update that details will be up end of next week Puzzled
snow report
@On the rocks, Easily puzzled.Obviously.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I so look forward to the SCGB bullfighting forum.....

I reckon that Gerry v's Davina UFC fight would be bigger than McGregor and Mayweather.

Hopefully stanton is in contact with Dana White and can get this organised for UFC 217.
ski holidays
SCGB UPDATES

TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADERS

Firstly ... all eyes this week are on the leaderboard ... and we're not talking golf, chaps.
If we're to agree that on the rocks (above) knows what's going on in Wimbledon then we can expect to learn by this Friday who gets which resorts and which Freshtracks holidays to 'lead' ... e.g. did Gerry get the gig this winter, or is the Club finally sending him packing to form the Millwall Wintersports Society?

First person to post a link to the 2017-8 SCGB leaders list gets the golden banana.

ANOTHER 'NEWS' ORGASM

There's been a further ejaculation from the SCGB 'newsdesk' and - sadly - it's another multi-pack of press releases rather than in-house journalism - the kind of journalism upon which the British Ski Yearbook (1905 onwards) and other Ski Club of GB publications have been based. 5 'news' stories posted up a couple of days ago - Sunday 1 October - by someone valiantly working on the Lord's Day. They are headed ... "Skicircus Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn" ... "Zillertal is a valley with limitless winter sports" ... "A well deserved opportunity for members" [Volvo promotion] ...

Quote:
As a Ski Club member you can benefit from exclusive savings on the refined elegance and rugged, robust edge of the new V90 Cross Country, including a £250 contribution towards Volvo accessories until 31st December 2017.

The essential reading continues ... "Ski and Board in Livigno" ... and (last but not least) "Kids Go Free with Ski France".

All here, under [open quotes] "News" [close quotes]: https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news

SCGB AGM AND ANNUAL REPORT

Still no news (at least in the public domain) of when and where the Ski Club of Great Britain 2017 annual general meeting will be held. This is customarily on the SCGB 'events' timeline: https://www.skiclub.co.uk/events .
If this is to be the final SCGB AGM to be held at 57 Church Road, Wimbledon, then let's maximise the turnout before the re-developers move in.

If any member of the SCGB (I am a member but sadly receive no membership communications) cares to post the date here, that would be appreciated.
The annual report will presumably be filed more openly, and we can analyse its content in due course:
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/about-the-ski-club/annual-reports

SKI+BOARD MAGAZINE

One favourable sign of recent years has been a restoration of quality writing and design with the SCGB house journal 'Ski+Board', edited by Colin Nicholson. It seems unlikely that the magazine will be restored to the newsstands, however, given the slump in sales of ski magazines generally ... but that gambit might be an interesting experiment if not too costly (the additional net sales revenues and increased advertising sales are the questions/factors, against the increased print and distribution costs). Although it was apparently posted to members a couple of weeks ago, the October issue of Ski+Board has not yet appeared electronically ...

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news-and-events/ski-and-board-magazine

WHO'S TO BE THE NEW SCGB CHIEF EXECUTIVE?

Any word on this?

[end of SCGB Updates]

---------------------------------

davidof wrote:
Gerry wrote:

It's been pointed out to you on previous occasions that this is factually incorrect. The figure mentioned/suggested to admin was £12 per news item (this was in 2004/5).
admin subsequently expressed public outrage that any member of snowHeads should have the audacity to wish to be paid for supplying news items to the site (which would be used to generate readership and advertising revenue), and there was general sympathy for his annoyance, from the troll and non-troll community, as I recall.
It's a matter of record, however, that adspin then started filing weekly snow bulletins - from freely provided snow reports of snowHeads on the actual hills. And these weekly snow bulletins were paid for by commercial sponsors!
That was when I decided the kettle had gone potty!

Permit me to quote Samuel Johnson [1709-84] ... first creator of an English dictionary, with a nice pad just off Fleet Street that's well worth a visit:
http://www.drjohnsonshouse.org/

Samuel Johnson wrote:

No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money.

The best pub in London is 100 yards away, which make Dr Johnson's house doubly worth a visit!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d730395-Reviews-Ye_Olde_Cheshire_Cheese-London_England.html
snow conditions
Davina Goldballs wrote:

Permit me to quote Samuel Johnson [1709-84] ... first creator of an English dictionary, with a nice pad just off Fleet Street that's well worth a visit:
http://www.drjohnsonshouse.org/

Samuel Johnson wrote:

No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money.

Well everyone who posts on this forum is writing not for money so it seems you are implying that we are all blockheads! Laughing

Happy to be a snowHead, but I'll forego the blockhead honour.... wink
ski holidays
@davypyritesack "Still no news (at least in the public domain) of when and where the Ski Club of Great Britain 2017 annual general meeting will be held. This is customarily on the SCGB 'events' timeline: https://www.skiclub.co.uk/events .
If this is to be the final SCGB AGM to be held at 57 Church Road, Wimbledon, then let's maximise the turnout before the re-developers move in."

If you are going to have a go about 'investigative journalism' you should at least be able to find an event listed on a calendar!
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/events/2017/11/ski-club-of-great-britain-agm
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sethpistol wrote:
@davypyritesack "Still no news (at least in the public domain) of when and where the Ski Club of Great Britain 2017 annual general meeting will be held. This is customarily on the SCGB 'events' timeline: https://www.skiclub.co.uk/events .
If this is to be the final SCGB AGM to be held at 57 Church Road, Wimbledon, then let's maximise the turnout before the re-developers move in."

If you are going to have a go about 'investigative journalism' you should at least be able to find an event listed on a calendar!
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/events/2017/11/ski-club-of-great-britain-agm

Interesting. When I click on your second link I can see details of the AGM. However, when I click on the main events listing I can't find it. Looks like there's an issue with the website.
snow report
Quote:
It's been pointed out to you on previous occasions that this is factually incorrect. The figure mentioned/suggested to admin was £12 per news item (this was in 2004/5).
No David. You're the one being factually incorrect.
You asked for £20 per post with an expectation that you would make 10 posts per week 'because I was making money from advertising running next to your work'. That advertising was a DogTag button that BodeSwiller had given me £160 to run for the season. It was very early days and I told you I literally didn't have £200/week to give you but I offered you the whole £160 and any subsequent ad revenue from that page. You refused my offer on the grounds that it would constitute a conflict of interest, that the income from your writing were to be dependent upon the advertising it generated rolling eyes
ski holidays
Oh dear, that's a touch embarrassing @Davina Goldballs ?
latest report
Very Happy
ski holidays
£20 = £28 per regurgitated story in today’s money. So David wanted 14.5k per annum as a retainer. Money for old rope but admin takes the financial risk and David could then claim some important sounding job title to add to his CV. F£££ing leach!

If that arrangement had stood the test of time, that would be well over 200k (tax free Wink) in David’s sky rocket.
snow conditions
@admin When was the last time this thread was OT? Surely there are grounds to archive it and stop the rather off-putting bitchfight that sticks to the top of the forum like a bad smell!
ski holidays
Davina Goldballs wrote:

davidof wrote:
Gerry wrote:

It's been pointed out to you on previous occasions that this is factually incorrect.

I have no problem with you asking for 20, or 12, quid a post, why not. For a news forum it seems like a lot of money, if you were a stringer for the Mail it would be peanuts.

I was more interested in what your alleged "delusional" ideas were to be honest.
snow conditions
sethpistol wrote:
@admin When was the last time this thread was OT? Surely there are grounds to archive it and stop the rather off-putting bitchfight that sticks to the top of the forum like a bad smell!

I like to think it's a salutory lesson to the SCGB of the wisdom of having one of their staffers start a "plugging" thread here. & let's not forget it's a supposedly respected member of the SCGB who continues to do his best to put people off as most people can see through Goldsmith's ramblings.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
let's not forget it's a supposedly respected member of the SCGB who continues to do his best to put people off as most people can see through Goldsmith's ramblings.

Quite. I don't know how they let him get away with it. But I, like many others, do look forward to the next instalment!
snow report
sethpistol wrote:

I don't really know and I don't really care but I'm wondering if your request might have had more weight if you hadn't directed an ad hominem attack at one of the protagonists the day before?
snow report
davidof wrote:
Davina Goldballs wrote:

davidof wrote:
Gerry wrote:

It's been pointed out to you on previous occasions that this is factually incorrect.

I have no problem with you asking for 20, or 12, quid a post, why not. For a news forum it seems like a lot of money, if you were a stringer for the Mail it would be peanuts.

I was more interested in what your alleged "delusional" ideas were to be honest.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=412729&highlight=delusional#412729
latest report
Gerry wrote:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=412729&highlight=delusional#412729

Thanks, Gerry. 2006, that's like over a decade ago. That's erm... quite worrying really.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy