Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Welcome to snowHeads @Rosey44 snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rosey44, welcome to the New SCGB chat forum (5 years old). May I have the pleasure of introducing you to Gotoma86 of Wimbledon, and page 1:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856

Gotoma86 wrote:
Wow, Ski Club of Great Britain have re-launched their chat forum and it looks good. Simple sign-up, you don't need to become a member plus they seem to have introduced profiles as well. Well this will be fun, who's going to jump ship and start using the Tea Club forum then?
----------------------
In fact they have re-done their homepage and navigation, looks a lot more club focused and big drive for personal profiling.

I like it!

Welcome, also, to page 120. It's as useful as a '120 page A4 spiral notebook' ... but there's more in it!

Photo of 120 page A4 spiral notebook:
https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/wc-prod-pim/JPEG_1000x1000/SMPSRNB120_studymate_premium_clear_pp_spiral_8mm_notebook_120_pages.jpg

----------------------

Finally, may I have the pleasure of introducing you to Gerry/PJSki/Tim Brown ["SCGB member since May 2001"]
From page 75:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856&start=2960#2448067

Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh no! Not Guiness! Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually, I was quite plesed to find out it was a totaly different Gerry.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mcspreader wrote:
Actually, I was quite pleased to find out it was a totaly different Gerry.

Which Gerry did you think it was?

SCGB JOBS UPDATE ...

"The Ski Club is hiring 3 Freshtracks Sales and Operations Consultants"
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news/ski-club-news/2017/08/the-ski-club-is-hiring-3-freshtracks-sales-and-operations-consultants
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The idjuts seem to have updated their website - and you have to redo your password - another ****** password. DO people like this want members or are they there just to annoy their existing members. whilst this sh website will never remember me at least when I put in the first letter of my user name the whole of the rest comes up.

Why is technology which should be so simple so stressful - it should be our servant not our slave.

Hopefully some SCGB wallah will read my whinge and put a boot in the right place in their IT department.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
countryman wrote:
Hopefully some SCGB wallah will read my whinge ....

Not quite sure what a SCGB wallah looks like, but as it's sometimes been referred to as the Tea Club I wonder whether a char wallah will do....

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rosey44 - you have now had your introduction to Mr David Goldsmith. If, with all the upheaval at the Club, it has been forgotten, please ensure that a permanent memo. is put into everyone's induction pack: "On no account should anyone in SCGB engage with this person, nor ever consider accepting a membership application from him" Any online application system must enable the Club to filter him out before he once again claims to have membership rights. It took long enough to get rid of him (several years and talk of legal action). Talk to the Reps e.g. Gerry for more info.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Still no email with a new password - should I have expected any different. Still I might join the many who cease their membership if that is how they treat me - however I am making allowances at the moment as they are very sadly without a CEO who I am sure would have managed the introduction of a new website properly. I cannot post comments on the SCGB members section as I am locked out!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm not having a problem logging in but I wish they would pull their finger out and publish which leaders are leading where and the dates. Thought it always used to be done in August but not this year, obviously.

I gather the new website cost a shed load of money but thus far I really can't see why they bothered changing it. It's starting to look like money wasted.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Countryman - your account may have somehow got locked. Just call the membership team on 020 8410 2015 or email members@skiclub.co.uk and they'll sort it out for you very quickly.

esaw1 - Leader details have always been published online in late September. This year will be no different, regardless of whether we have a new website or not.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Rosey44, Thought it was August last year. But thank you for your terse reply!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@esaw1, sorry if my reply came across as terse. That was not my intention. However, everything is on schedule to have Leader details online in late Sept - this was the case last year as well. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had no problem getting my account sorted, but then I have worked in IT for 30 years (and have a teenage son).
latest report
Personal message to Rosey44 ...

Scrumpy wrote:
Rosey44 - you have now had your introduction to Mr David Goldsmith. If, with all the upheaval at the Club, it has been forgotten, please ensure that a permanent memo. is put into everyone's induction pack: "On no account should anyone in SCGB engage with this person, nor ever consider accepting a membership application from him" Any online application system must enable the Club to filter him out before he once again claims to have membership rights. It took long enough to get rid of him (several years and talk of legal action). Talk to the Reps e.g. Gerry for more info.

And my advice to you, Rosey44, is to ignore everything Scrumpy and Gerry have to say about me and make your own fair mind on the basis of what you observe. My membership of the SCGB originates from 1962. My writing and technical editing of its magazine stretched from the mid-1970s to the early 1990s and well beyond, via 6 successive editors of the Club's magazine: Elisabeth Hussey, Tessa Coker, Roland White, Jane Slade, Gill Williams and Arnie Wilson. If I'm such a terrible individual, how come each of these professional editors commissioned and trusted me to write stuff for a period of over 25 years?

I sat directly opposite the SCGB's chairman for lunch at the Houses of Parliament on 17 January 2013 ...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2206505
Pleasantries were exchanged across the very expansive dining table. No food was thrown.

I enjoyed a one-hour and extremely pleasant conversation with a senior executive of the SCGB (who's known me for yonks) on the SCGB stand at the London Ski Show in November 2015. This culminated in my rejoining the Club and leaving the stand with a complimentary Ortovox backpack, membership pack and card. I was personally phoned by the SCGB's chief executive the following day.

Unfortunately there is an element (of vocal self-interested individuals) within the Ski Club of Great Britain who do not see the greater good of running the national ski club in the general interests of its members, British skiing and British skiers ... and simply want the status quo of freeeloading and jollies to continue ... until the Club eventually shrinks into nothing more than a snowflake. Check out the demographics and - for god's sake - do want you can. Study the forthcoming 2017 annual report of the SCGB with great objectivity - the clues are there.

Meanwhile, please could we have an update on (a) Who exactly bought the Club's HQ in Wimbledon? 'Caligula Limited' is not an adequate answer! (b) Where is the Club moving to next? (c) What is to become of the SCGB's important library, archives, historical ski collection etc. etc.

Thank you for your care and attention.
snow conditions
fu****g pitiful ^^^^
ski holidays
Oh ffs Davina / David - you did not rejoin the Ski Club as your application/ subscription fees were rejected when they realised their mistake.

That is exactly what I was warning Rosey44 against.

And you have never explained why you want to be a member of a Club you despise so much.

And perhaps you were a reasonable person back in your early days of membership. - but no such description could possibly apply to your behaviour and constant criticism over the past 20 years or so that I have been a member!
snow report
Scrumpy wrote:
Oh ffs Davina / David - you did not rejoin the Ski Club as your application/ subscription fees were rejected when they realised their mistake.

That is exactly what I was warning Rosey44 against.

And you have never explained why you want to be a member of a Club you despise so much.

And perhaps you were a reasonable person back in your early days of membership. - but no such description could possibly apply to your behaviour and constant criticism over the past 20 years or so that I have been a member!

I see. For how many of those 20 years have you operated anonymously?

I'm bored with responding to anonymous blobs on this forum. If you want to have a serious discussion about serious things then there's no reason to hide behind anonymity. The Ski Club of Great Britain was not founded by a bunch of people with heads in paper bags.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When is the Ski Club of Great Britain AGM for 2017?
Nominations for new Council/directorship positions are normally invited in August, as I recall - 3 months ahead of the AGM date? It's now 13 September.

David Goldsmith
ski holidays
You're bored? What do you think those of us who have listened to your rants for 20 odd years are?

And we have covered my name before - everyone seemed to use a nickname when I joined and so I used an established one. In the last 3 months I have been to events in the U.K. and Austria where 300-400 people know me only as Scrumpy! (- and no, not those weird sex parties in the woods which hit the news so recently!). Some of those I know through skiing too.

As you would not know who I am if I gave you my real name then it really makes no difference anyway. I am an ordinary member and never an employee, rep, or committee member is all that could possibly be relevant to you.
latest report
Oh, and I have never had a sex change either.

And yes. MEMBERS have been invited to nominate council members. Why would you expect to know about it?
snow report
Scrumpy wrote:
You're bored? What do you think those of us who have listened to your rants for 20 odd years are?

Well your affliction clearly isn't shared by many. There have been nearly 5000 postings to this thread over 5 years, generating over 310,000 views, which amounts to over 60 pairs of eyes reading each contribution. 'The bored' have simply walked away. Others have hung around. It's a free choice.

Scrumpy wrote:
And we have covered my name before - everyone seemed to use a nickname when I joined and so I used an established one.

No we haven't 'covered your name' because you've never had the grace to reveal your name! There's a distinction between deploying anonymity for perfectly legitimate reasons (whistleblowing etc.) and using it to try and damage someone else on a personal level. It ain't acceptable. You're far from alone - millions are at it - hence the current debate and the widespread concern about 'abuse of anonymity':

"I used to think social media was a force for good. Now the evidence says I was wrong": Matt Haig / The Guardian (6 Sep 2017)
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/06/social-media-good-evidence-platforms-insecurities-health

Anonymous social media: Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_social_media

This is deadly serious:
"Teen who shot herself in front of her parents is still being bullied": CNN
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/14/health/teen-suicide-cyberbullying-continues-trnd/index.html

Scrumpy wrote:
In the last 3 months I have been to events in the U.K. and Austria where 300-400 people know me only as Scrumpy!

The Anglo-Austrian Cider-making Convention? The European Federation of Freemasons?
So you're saying your nickname 'Scrumpy' is an open secret? Sorry ... this pleading is as unconvincing as the last time you made it.

Scrumpy wrote:

As you would not know who I am if I gave you my real name then it really makes no difference anyway. I am an ordinary member and never an employee, rep, or committee member is all that could possibly be relevant to you.

It makes all the difference in the world. You wouldn't say the things you say if you lifted the veil of anonymity. You wouldn't say the things you say, as the accuser, if you had to face-up to the accused. For reasons best known to yourself you're flapping about on the internet, using a pseudonym, making all sorts of assertions and allegations, defending (?) an organisation which once grew to global strength and importance (1903-1950s) by being anything other than faceless and non-inclusive. This is about a British national skiers' organisation making a future for itself. Get real.

Scrumpy wrote:
Oh, and I have never had a sex change either.

Have you considered the advantages of 24-carat testicles?

Scrumpy wrote:
And yes. MEMBERS have been invited to nominate council members. Why would you expect to know about it?

Because I have a membership card?
The SCGB has publicly announced its nomination process and nominations, in recent years. Presumably the 2017 annual report will appear here in the next couple of months:
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/about-the-ski-club/annual-reports

----------------------------------------

UPDATE:
SKI CLUB OF GREAT BRITAIN AT THE HOUSE OF COMMONS

SCGB report:
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news/ski-club-news/2017/09/thomes-gerken-schofield-presented-with-the-evie-pinching-award

PlanetSki report:
http://www.planetski.eu/news/9515

James Cove, PlanetSki, former SCGB director wrote:

Now, in my former life I worked as a journalist in BBC TV News for 22 loyal years.
Well, mostly loyal (I have always had a rebellious streak).
A large number of those years were at Westminster and I paced the corridors many times.

There were a few recognisable MPs milling around - Dennis Skinner, Tim Fallon and Paul Boateng.

Technical point: Paul Boateng is not an MP. He was MP for Brent South from 1987 to 2005 (including Ministerial career and Chief Secretary to the Treasury from 2002-5). He's been a member of the House of Lords since 2010.

James Cove wrote:

To Norman Smith, Assistant Political Editor, BBC:

""Come and work for PlanetSKI?" I mouthed to him as he was about to go on air.
He gave me the thumbs up out of camera shot and turned to address the nation."

And ... to the main business of the day ...

James Cove wrote:

First up in the Terrace Dining Room of the House of Commons was the announcement of the Evie Pinching Award.

Evie Pinching was perhaps the most successful British skier.

Evelyn Pinching: Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Pinching
ski holidays
Scrumpy ... you've had yet another 24 hours to out yourself.

The fact that 300 lederhosen manufacturers in Austria know your ID is very valuable information, but it doesn't explain why you feel it's necessary to 'represent' the Ski Club of Great Britain in an anonymous capacity.

Come on - out with it!
snow conditions
Oh! But I do have a serious, real ID on here too, for when I want to discuss real issues with sensible people. I just continue with this one to wind you up 😝

Bye for now, till next time!
ski holidays
Scrumpy wrote:
I just continue with this one to wind you up 😝

You must be joking. You couldn't wind up a set of false teeth ...

http://youtube.com/v/D1wTq4Xo2vA

... or, to be slightly more SCGB-specific ... you couldn't wind up a frog ...

http://youtube.com/v/t3SB_7F27FY
ski holidays
The SCGB has today published a list of resorts where its reps/leaders will be posted this winter ... and including St Anton as one of the resorts that will offer "instructor-led guiding" ...

Quote:
Ski Club Team
Posted: 19 Sep 2017 09:05
Hi Kim - Leader details will be online at the end of this month, the same time as they have been in previous years.

The resorts where we will have Leaders this season are:

Austria: Ischgl, Kitzbuhel, Mayrhofen, Obergurgl, Zell am See
Switzerland: Davos, Grindelwald, Klosters, Murren, Saas Fee, Verbier, Wengen, Zermatt
Italy: Cervinia, Sauze d’Oulx
Andorra: Soldeu - Grandvalira
USA: Jackson Hole
Canada: Whistler

And our Instructor-led Guiding service will be in operation in the following resorts:

Argentière, Avoriaz, Courchevel, Flaine, La Plagne, Les Arcs, Les Deux Alpes, Méribel, Tignes, Val d’Isère and Val Thorens - plus St Anton in Austria.

The posting was in response to a somewhat irate (perhaps unreasonably, given the SCGB's point) complaint by Kim Wilson ...

http://www2.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/forum/discussion.aspx/Skiing-And-Snowboarding-general?discussionID=16100

Quote:

i book my ski holidays on the basis of a SCGB Leader being available as I am a solo skier. Extremely disappointed STILL no details of which resort Leaders will be in, let alone who and when. Surely there must be some plans in place? In addition as a solo traveller I have to book early to secure a single room at a reasonable price, so feel very nervy that my fix of the white stuff is in jeopardy.
latest report
Being in a similar position I actually contacted the ski club about three months ago. Whilst they couldn't offer any guarantees they did at least give me a very clear indication of their intentions Very Happy
Helpful Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Latest SCGB jobs on offer ...

"Ski Club is hiring two Member Services Assistants"
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news/ski-club-news/2017/09/ski-club-is-hiring-two-member-services-assistants

Maybe this is a re-advertisement of the Member Services Assistant job that was offered last month and had a deadline of 20 August. That one's still on the SCGB website (on 20 September) ...
Quote:
Member Services Assistant

Contract: Temporary, full time
Start month: September 2017, with October also considered
End month: End of April 2018
Salary: £18,000 to £19,000 pro rata, dependent on experience
Closing date for applications: End of Sunday 20th August 2017

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/about-the-ski-club/jobs

Those are relatively low-level positions. The SCGB announced on 18 August that it was seeking a new Chief Executive, presumably to be in place to direct the winter operations. So we can await news on that front ...
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news/ski-club-news/2017/08/ski-club-is-seeking-a-new-chief-executive-officer
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All aboard the CEO-go-round.
At least we know why Frank left, bless him.
Did an intrepid journo ever get to the bottom of the scandal of avalanche proportions last time?

http://youtube.com/v/I3fF91jGdPM&t
ski holidays
Good to see St Anton back on the list again Happy
ski holidays
SCGB UPDATES

The Ski Club of Great Britain Newsdesk went into overdrive yesterday - no fewer than 4 fresh stories on a single day. Enjoy:
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news

Unfortunately, all this endeavour was undone by the following ...

Quote:
December skiing with Freshtracks
... "If you prefer your skiing outside of the piste poles then December is a great time of year to ski."

To promote December as a month to enjoy "great" off-piste skiing has got to be 'bullshit of avalanche proportions'. Why has the SCGB - rooted in British ski history as one of the great global sources of authoritative information (from 1903, through most of the 20th century) - reduced itself to a cowdooting agency?
'Freshrocks', to be precise, unless the late autumn/early Dec delivers dumps of avalanche proportions ... which does happen occasionally ... but (unless one is loaded and stupid) it makes a lot more sense to save the cash until February onwards. Everyone knows that December is only sensible to book late, usually on a freelance basis with lots of intelligence from the snow reports, in the occasional winters when the skies deliver epic whiteness. And, since ski resorts are invariably empty until Christmas, and transport is bountiful, it makes perfect sense.
Given the choice and the simple fact that snow is a cumulative commodity ... anyone with any sense or knowledge of skiing (or ask any ski guide) knows that post-Easter is generally 100 times better on high off-piste terrain than pre-Christmas.
[end of rant]
snow conditions
@thegnomewithnoname, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
[quote="Davina Goldballs"]SCGB UPDATES

The Ski Club of Great Britain Newsdesk went into overdrive yesterday - no fewer than 4 fresh stories on a single day. Enjoy:
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news

Unfortunately, all this endeavour was undone by the following ...

Quote:
December skiing with Freshtracks
... "If you prefer your skiing outside of the piste poles then December is a great time of year to ski."

To promote December as a month to enjoy "great" off-piste skiing has got to be 'bullshit of avalanche proportions'.

Errrr .... they don't promote it as a month to enjoy " great off piste" .... rolling eyes .. got to be a misquoting induced bullsh*t rant of avalanche proportions Embarassed
ski holidays
@limegreen1, errr, David's quote was accurate. It was a quote directly off SCGB's website.

Quote:
If you prefer your skiing outside of the piste poles then December is a great time of year to ski. Whilst the most recent seasons have not been blessed with the best dumps in December, previous ones have had more than enough to whet the appetite of any serious freerider.

If that's not promoting December as a good, (possibly great), month for off-piste skiing, I don't know what is. Oh, and I'm not particularly a fan of DG but he's certainly telling the truth with this post.
snow report
Dear God .. can no one read ??? December is a great time to ski ... is not saying great off piste ...
snow report
Dear God .. can no one read ??? December is a great time to ski ... is not saying great off piste ...
snow conditions
@limegreen1, you seem (three times wink ) to be ignoring the opening words of the bit which maggi quoted. Skiing outside the poles= skiing off-piste. Sorry, but maggi's right and you're wrong (a lawyer said...)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 23-09-17 20:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Davina Goldballs wrote:
SCGB UPDATES

To promote December as a month to enjoy "great" off-piste skiing has got to be 'bullshit of avalanche proportions'. [end of rant]

I've enjoyed fantastic off piste skiing in December (not every year but most times I've been) with the SCGB and on other occasions with friends, Val D'Isere, Tignes, Argentiere (great run down Pas de Chevre all the way down to Chamonix), pleasantly few people, especially whinging old has-been bullshitters with unfeasibly large chips on their shoulders
latest report
@Hurtle, Oi! Don't be pulling rank
Quote:

but maggi's right and you're wrong (a lawyer said...)

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@halfhand, wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy