Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
George Jones wrote:

Is this a precursor to the club becoming a niche holiday company?

Becoming?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
George Jones wrote:

Becoming?

Yeah, employing guides and instructors and including it in the price is very unusual. Ski club holidays are for people who like to go skiing on their skiing holidays.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
George Jones wrote:

Becoming?

Totally Freshtracks focused, as opposed to incorporated in the traditional club format that Mr. G. held dear.

Of course, members still have membership rights. Getting around those to become fully profit-focused is another issue.

Asset stripping may be another alternative.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
George Jones wrote:
George Jones wrote:

Becoming?

Totally Freshtracks focused, as opposed to incorporated in the traditional club format that Mr. G. held dear.

Of course, members still have membership rights. Getting around those to become fully profit-focused is another issue.

Asset stripping may be another alternative.

Still not for profit, so don't know where the profit could end up.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Currently running at 500 to 1 that this thread will reach 837 pages before 2021
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any odds on SCGB reaching 2021 in its current format?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another reminder today of where the Ski Club of Great Britain's sees its status in the 21st century ... as a new support fund for British ski athletes is launched by British Ski + Snowboard ...

Frank McCusker, chief executive, Ski Club of Great Britain wrote:

The Ski Club of Great Britain, which represents the UK’s recreational skiers, is proud that, through our participation in the British Snowsports Fund, we'll be supporting both the development of UK athletes and grassroots activities. It is incredibly exciting to see the industry as a whole back such an initiative and it can only be good for participation in the sport longer term.

Source: Two new funding initiatives aiming to revolutionise British snowsports
http://www.teambss.org.uk/news-info/news/two-new-funding-initiatives-aiming-revolutionise-british-snowsports

This has definite echoes of the SCGB's 1995 and 2008 self-styling as "spokesbody of British skiers" and "voice of UK snowsports". We have discussed this on previous occasions, in the light of what the Club actually represents, to whom, and to what purpose.

If the jury is still out, would they kindly return.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
COMINGS AND GOINGS AT THE WHITE HOUSE

The very long-running saga of the sale (freehold sale) of the SCGB clubhouse in Wimbledon may be approaching a conclusion.

Although property agents TSP are apparently continuing to market the property ...
https://tspuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/The-White-House-57-63-Church-Road-Wimbledon-Brochure.pdf

Quote:
"Offers in excess of £4,000,000."

... the Ski Club itself reported this week that the property is "sold" ...
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=9949#.WHpehIiLTVV

Quote:
"The Ski Club agrees sale of The White House"

The Ski Club of Great Britain has completed the sale of the White House, its office premises in Wimbledon Village.
The premises have been sold to Caligula Limited, a property investment company. The Club has signed a two year lease-back agreement to remain at the White House, although it will be able to terminate the lease any time after 9 months if new suitable premises become available.

As we have reported previously the building needs considerable investment due to its age. It was last redeveloped in the 1980s and the Club's Council wish to focus resources on member services and benefits rather than large property projects. The Council were also concerned that the White House represented over 80% of the Club’s assets, and now they will invest the surplus in a more diverse range of assets.

Over the coming weeks the Club will look in the local area for its next home, and we will keep you updated."

Was the property sold twice?

Seven months ago (3 June 2016), PlanetSki (edited by ex-SCGB director James Cove) reported ...
http://www.planetski.eu/news/8010

Quote:
"Sold !

The Ski Club of Great Britain has sold its HQ in Wimbledon and is now looking for new premises.
Its offices and Club House in south London were on the market for £4m and the Club has now accepted an offer.
The price has not been revealed but the Club says it is in excess of the asking price.
Staff have been told the new offices will be in the same area of London.

It bought the building for around £2m in 1997 when it moved from its previous home in Eaton Square in Chelsea."

Anyone know anything about purchasers 'Caligula Limited'?

Movie enthusiasts may recall a 1979 film of the name 'Caligula' - a movie financed by Bob Guccione (founder of Penthouse magazine) which featured "unsimulated sexual content" - "hardcore sex scenes" - over which the director lost control.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caligula_(film)

There surely can't be any connection - this must surely be pure coincidence - but Penthouse magazine is reported to be offering $1 million for alleged footage of another forthcoming White House occupant ... concerning Caligula-type activity which is rumoured to have taken place in a Moscow hotel room:
http://www.thewrap.com/read-penthouses-letter-about-the-donald-trump-golden-showers-claim-exclusive/
https://www.buzzfeed.com/sheerafrenkel/spy-agencies-around-the-world-are-digging-into-trump-moscow?utm_term=.bpmKkB4D5w#.wreKmAk6P8

----------------------------------------------------

More background on the SCGB White House sale ...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/permalink/1811499599136804/?match=d2hpdGUgaG91c2Usc2NnYg%3D%3D

SCGB annual report 2015:
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/assets/files/documents/report_and_accounts_2015_final.pdf

Quote:
"We are also reviewing our freehold office premises in Wimbledon, which represent by far the largest financial asset of the Club. We have received several independent professional appraisals of the property and believe it would be in the best interests of members to seek to realise the hidden reserves represented in the value of the property and to relocate to more suitable premises. The current property is inefficient in layout and utilisation of space and in need of some serious renovations (and associated expense) if we continue to occupy it. We will of course keep members informed as this review continues." [Chairman's report, p.3]
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Happy New Year David Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
THE SALE OF SCGB HQ, 57 CHURCH ROAD, WIMBLEDON

11 January 2017 SCGB news report ... as above ...
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=9949#.WRRtzPQrKeG
Quote:

Quote:

The Ski Club of Great Britain has completed the sale of the White House, its office premises in Wimbledon Village.
The premises have been sold to Caligula Limited, a property investment company ...

... Over the coming weeks the Club will look in the local area for its next home, and we will keep you updated."

A bit more detail was given in the Club's magazine Ski+Board (Feb/Mar issue* p.14) ...
* https://issuu.com/skiclub/docs/online

Quote:

Sale of the White House is finalised and search starts for new headquarters

On December 22, the Club sold its base in Wimbledon to Caligula, a property investment firm, for £3,875,000 ..."

Anyone heard anything?

Anyone know anything about 'Caligula Limited'? Would be interesting to know who owns this company.
And where is the Club re-locating?

The saga goes back to the SCGB's 2015 AGM, when the sale of the building was proposed to members.

On 1 June 2016 the SCGB reported* "the Club has now accepted an offer in excess of the sale price." [£4 million]

* http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=9696#.WRRwH_QrKeF

Maybe Caligula Limited wasn't the buyer on that occasion, so a little clarification would be welcome. Thank you.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Anyone know anything about 'Caligula Limited'?

I half suspect (OK I admit I'm a cynic, I fully suspect) you're trying to suck someone else into the thread as a quick search will bring up various bits of info from companies house and elsewhere.

The only UK based 'caligula Limited' I could find was dissolved via compulsory strike-off in May last year so what they're doing buying a property is odd. Unless they're the offshore Bahamas company that was struck off in 2012 and disclosed in the panama papers leak. There is also an offshore company by the same name in Jersey that still seems to be live so maybe that's the one that's involved.

The only named director and registered owner of the shares of the UK Caligula Limited was Milo Yiannopoulos who's Wikipedia entry makes interesting reading. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_Yiannopoulos
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@olderscot, I do not usually bite on these threads but I would suggest that we keep discussion of that individual and his business dealings away from this site. He has a track record of intimidation and harassment.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So.... not clear why we should not speak of him then ???
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So, if the building has been sold and leased back the only people with a possible interest in who the purchaser/new landlord is are members of the Ski Club. Has anyone with that status made a polite enquiry of the club if this bothers them, though why it should is not clear to me provided the purchase price has been paid and the deal cemented. I certainly would not and would not advise anyone to get involved in a discussion about the individual who was apparently a director and owner of the company named Caligula Ltd who doesnt appear to be a very nice person if the Wikipedia entry is to be believed, steer clear of what you dont know to be absolute fact and where you could run into allegations of defamation etc.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
...... and there is no reason why this could not be the Caligula Ltd based in Jersey. Lots of Jersey based companies own and invest in property in the UK. Why is every question about the Ski Clubs business turned into a conspiracy, there is no conspiracy!
ski holidays
olderscot wrote:
Quote:

Anyone know anything about 'Caligula Limited'?

I half suspect (OK I admit I'm a cynic, I fully suspect) you're trying to suck someone else into the thread ...

You don't come across to me as a sucker. Far from it.

olderscot wrote:
There is also an offshore company by the same name in Jersey that still seems to be live so maybe that's the one that's involved.

FFIRMIN wrote:
...... and there is no reason why this could not be the Caligula Ltd based in Jersey. Lots of Jersey based companies own and invest in property in the UK.

Thanks to a public-spirited individual who has been in touch, the new ownership of the SCGB's headquarters can now be confirmed. You will find here - archives of WTF Ski Club - the 'Register of Title' from HM Land Registry. This indicates the sale price, date of sale and identity/address of the new owners of 57-63 Church Road, Wimbledon. Depending on the deal struck, the SCGB may or may not now be paying rent to this company.

News item:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1008203645949189/
UK Land Registry document:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1008203645949189/?comment_id=1008379892598231&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R0%22%7D

FFIRMIN wrote:
So, if the building has been sold and leased back the only people with a possible interest in who the purchaser/new landlord is are members of the Ski Club. Has anyone with that status made a polite enquiry of the club if this bothers them, though why it should is not clear to me provided the purchase price has been paid and the deal cemented.

Firstly, as occasionally pointed out on this 5-year thread, the Ski Club of Great Britain regularly asserts its status as a representative body of all British skiers - not merely its members. Therefore (and particularly given the number of lifelong UK skiers who have quit membership of the SCGB) its affairs are very much a matter of public concern (as far as I can see).

Secondly, are you seriously saying (as a Ski Club member?) that the full identity of the purchaser of the SCGB HQ has not been disclosed to members? After 5 months, it should not really be down to a public-spirited person to find out this information and enable it to be published.

Thirdly, I'd argue that a deal like this should be fully transparent ... and therefore the ownership of Caligula Limited should be known (accepting that privately-owned property in London is often sold to anonymous purchasers via offshore companies). Provided that the property has been sold on a competitive basis, and no member/director/employee of the SCGB has privately benefited from the sale ... and that there has been no other inappropriate arrangement ... then everything is perfectly above board.

FFIRMIN wrote:
Why is every question about the Ski Clubs business turned into a conspiracy, there is no conspiracy!

A perfect rhetorical question ... with an exclamation mark replacing a question mark!

The SCGB has been in effective relative decline for 50 years (compared to the size of the UK ski population), and has now sold its freehold building ... with an argument that its assets should be divested/re-invested. Do we know anything about where the c£4 million is being spent, or has been spent?
snow report
FFIRMIN wrote:
...... and there is no reason why this could not be the Caligula Ltd based in Jersey. Lots of Jersey based companies own and invest in property in the UK. Why is every question about the Ski Clubs business turned into a conspiracy, there is no conspiracy!

It's the drains all over again. Goldsmith was so obsessed with the Club's drains a few years ago that the then CEO even delegated a senior member of staff to liaise with him on a twice weekly basis (more often in wet weather) regarding their status. Thank god he never found out about the dripping tap in the first floor utility room!
latest report
I have just received my copy of 'Elevation', effectively the summer edition of Ski and Board (published by the Ski Club of Great Britain).

From the news items I quote
"The current club house, The White House, in Wimbledon, was sold to Caligula, a property investment firm, for £3,875,000 in December. The Club has negotiated a two year leaseback deal to stay at the White House as it seeks new premises in the area. It can end the lease at anytime after 9 months."

So as a member I have now been told the result of the planned sale which the Council told us about some time ago. No conspiracy - sorry.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, there was never a conspiracy as david goldsmith knows, if anyone looks back it was always a sale/leaseback deal which is not unusual for organisation who want to realise assets for whatever reason.

Unreleated I'm sure but Abbey National/Santander sold all their properties whilst under Stephen Hester, and then leased them back from the buyer. British Land I think it was, strangely they were funders for UK skiing in some way and I think Mr Hester went on to have a top job with them.

Funny how things turn out. Very Happy
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:

So as a member I have now been told the result of the planned sale which the Council told us about some time ago. No conspiracy - sorry.

ansta1 wrote:
@chocksaway, there was never a conspiracy as david goldsmith knows

With genuine respect, how can you possibly know, if you don't know who owns Caligula Limited? Or, rather, the re-named Caligula Limited (see below)? In this world we hear of the anonymous purchase or sale or many things: hundreds of empty apartments across London, owned by shadowy speculators and organisations (while huge numbers are homeless or priced out of decent homes); British Home Stores (well that was all great until thousands lost their jobs, thanks to a billionaire yacht-owner and his reckless attitude to his one-time employees). At the rear of my garden is a cemetery that was once sold (along with two others) by Westminster City Council - then controlled by Dodgy Dame Shirley Porter (daughter of Tesco-founder Jack Cohen) - for a couple of quid to a shady property company ... who reckoned on building homes on burial plots. Well that turned out to be a bloody disaster for the grave owners ... until things were put right.

I'm not suggesting anything untoward about the sale/purchase of 57 Church Road, but I don't see we can be sure of anything until we know a bit more.

Caligula Limited has changed name

This thanks to two sources - one who PMed me via FB and another who checked this out. Perhaps the owner of Caligula didn't actually appreciate Roman history, or didn't want a name linked to a notorious porn movie, or had concerns about the stuff olderscot and gorilla mention above:

The new name of Caligula Limited is ... https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1008203645949189/?comment_id=1008585435911010&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R0%22%7D

Or, if you'd prefer this from the horse's mouth:

Click ... Jersey Financial Services Commission ...

https://www.jerseyfsc.org/registry/documentSearch/NameDetail.aspx?Id=267179
snow report
@Davina Goldballs, I don't belive, even for one second, that other people are aiding you in your enquiries over this issue. Time and time again you have proved yourself to be a liar and a fraud, so all I see with this is another one of your dirty little smear campaigns.

The Ski Club of Great Britain will have exercised due diligence over this sale. I have total faith in the abilities of all involved to act in a proper, legal and ethical way. If you overstep the mark and get carried away, as you have been known to do in the past, with your accusations, I will flag up your activities with the Club and recommend that they sue you. I will also write to your wife (the extremely sensible Mrs. Goldsmith) and tell her that you've been a very naughty little boy again.

At the moment you seem to be heading the right way for a 'spanked bottom' in a very real and legally binding sense, so I suggest that you wind your neck in and behave. As I say, you really are a very naughty little lad.

As always, I'm very happy to say all this to your face.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 15-05-17 19:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
A change of fortunes over the decades for a club that once owned premises with a bar in Eaton Square and is now reduced to renting a headquarters building in Zone 3.

I suppose that mirrors the situation where Knightsbridge and Belgravia no longer count well-heeled Brits as their main residents and rely more on new money from the Middle East, Russia etc.

With the change in scope of SCGB reps/leaders I wonder what further implications this will have. Will many still volunteer for this role? Is a rep/leaders course still viable?

Will club members mostly be interested in Fresh Tracks holidays, now that reps/leaders are heavily constrained as to what they can offer?
ski holidays
George Jones wrote:
A change of fortunes over the decades for a club that once owned premises with a bar in Eaton Square and is now reduced to renting a headquarters building in Zone 3.

What good was Eaton Sq. to anyone outside of London? The Club doesn't need a UK clubhouse in my opinion.
snow report
@Davina Goldballs, All I was referring to was the fact the Club said it planned to sell the Building, it has and title will not have passed until the money was transferred. I now know what was received that it was close to what was estimated. No doubt I will see the lease costs in next years accounts and then I can decide whether it is good value.

@George Jones, Like many organisations they have decided that having a prestigious address is not a good business plan and have cut their cloth accordingly.

As far as I know the reps course went ahead this year, no doubt other countries will try and constrain the Club's activities and it may have to move to the current French model which is a great success (IMHO). It also reflects society in the UK where lots of 'volunteers' used to do things, now everybody has to be qualified to do anything, just look at risk adversity in the Education sector.
snow conditions
I've only been a SCGB member for a couple of years and my main reason for joining in the first place was that the insurance that came with Platinum membership seemed like a pretty good package. That was also my main reason for renewing my membership.

I've skied with a couple of club leaders and it certainly has its plus points but you are rather at the mercy of the calibre of others that turn up plus, of course, the calibre of the leaders. I've had one week that was fantastic (good fun had by all) where as on another occasion it was a disaster due to one individual and a weak leader (we all went our separate ways after one day).

I might opt for a Freshtracks powder trip next season but there are other 'tour operators' who offer similar packages and I'll be checking those out too.

Assuming membership costs don't change dramatilly and the insurance stays the same I will, in all probability renew my membership next year even if they move their offices to a caravan in the back of beyond. I have never felt the urge to attend one of their end of season Eaton Square/Wimbledon aren't we posh shindigs so the less money they waste on fancy addresses the better.
snow conditions
@esaw1, please pass on the issue you had with the leading service to the Club. They rely on us members to give feedback so they can deal with problems.
latest report
I asked the Ski Club about Caligula and they have confirmed it is the Jersey based company, no issue. esaw1 - shame you didnt enjoy one day with the Club leader but to give up on one days experience was a bit defeatiest, each day is different with, usually different groups/abilities. Freshtracks holidays are great although asyou say there are other group offerings, you pays your money and makes your choice.
ski holidays
Gerry wrote:
@Davina Goldballs, I don't belive, even for one second, that other people are aiding you in your enquiries over this issue. Time and time again you have proved yourself to be a liar and a fraud, so all I see with this is another one of your dirty little smear campaigns.

The Ski Club of Great Britain with have exercised due diligence over this sale. I have total faith in the abilities of all involved to act in a proper, legal and ethical way. If you overstep the mark and get carried away, as you have been known to do in the past, with your accusations, I will flag up your activities with the Club and recommend that they sue you. I will also write to your wife (the extremely sensible Mrs. Goldsmith) and tell her that you've been a very naughty little boy again.

At the moment you seem to be heading the right way for a 'spanked bottom' in a very real and legally binding sense, so I suggest that you wind your neck in and behave. As I say, you really are a very naughty little lad.

As always, I'm very happy to say all this to your face.

If you have total faith in such people, you should probably trust their decisions, PR and communications to stand up to the scrutiny of any interested member of the public. It seems that you perhaps do not, and need to make strange references to contacting their wife or threaten legal action, presumably in an attempt to silence a critic.

Honestly as a complete outsider to any of this, all you are doing by engaging with this in your current tone is to demonstrate to members of the public what a warm welcome the SCGB will provide to those who perhaps haven't drunk the coolaid just yet.

Having read his posts, it is quite clear to me that you are more than a country mile away from a point that you could even consider any form of legal action. Most of it is simply asking questions that the SCGB hasn't clarified and assuming the worst (which if your behaviour is typical doesn't seem to be an unreasonable assumption) and others are asking further questions and speculating.

Still, your overreaction will no doubt give DG some encouragement, as it makes it look for all the world like there might actually be something to hide.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Digger the dinosaur,

Harrumph!!!
snow report
@Digger the dinosaur, you once said this about the Ski Club:

Quote:
Anyone else getting this spam? Never dealt with them for anything, but clearly they have worked out I am target market for them. Well, not quite, I don't own a range rover, no trust fund, and I'm under the age of 50

Plenty of people in the club who are under 50. I was under 50 for years. Also, I'm certain that not everyone has a Range Rover or a trust fund, although some might have. Anyway, you sound like an back bottom and the club is better off without you, imo. Not that you were ever going to join anyway, as is clear from your previous comments.
snow report
QED
latest report
Gerry wrote:
Anyway, you sound like an back bottom and the club is better off without you, imo. Not that you were ever going to join anyway, as is clear from your previous comments.

Picture the scene at the Ski Club AGM when DG gets up to ask detailed questions about reps expenses, the club's policies/spend on green issues, the nitty gritty of the annual accounts.

Remember this quote above is from one of the under 50s.

The over 50s might well be thinking 'is the bar open yet?'

'Propose we move directly to any other business'

'Seconded'

Harrumph!!
latest report
@George Jones, I just can't picture that scene at the AGM - because (like me) DG is not a member of the Club.
ski holidays
@achilles, He might disagree with you on that one as well.

Either way, DG was definitely a member of the SCGB at one time and made appearances at AGMs.

So picture a scene in the past if that helps.....
snow report
QED

Yeah, QED. Your boy, Digger, clearly can't decide who he hates most, those he regards as being beneath him or those he feels are above him.

Anyway, Goldsmith is free to slag of the Ski Club on here but not allowed to talk about the site owner's tax habits. Bias?
ski holidays
@Gerry, I honestly can't feel any kind of hatred for either, though I am feeling an awful lot of pity right now. You seem so angry, largely at DG, now evidently at anyone who defends even his justifiable questions, life must be really difficult if you are so angry about something like this.

Also note a bit of pisstaking and irony in my comments, which were as a result of being sent spam by an organisation I haven't asked to contact me. You, on the other hand, would probably have tried to contact the chairman's wife I guess, in an attempt to get what you want. I chose a bit of pisstaking on the internet.
snow conditions
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
@Gerry,I chose a bit of pisstaking on the internet.

And what was I doing when I called Goldenbollock a 'naughty little boy' who's 'heading the right way for spanked bot bot'?
ski holidays
Gerry wrote:

And what was I doing when I called Goldenbollock a 'naughty little boy' who's 'heading the right way for spanked bot bot'?

Being a bit of a prick?

It would have been less concerning if it didn't come with a threat of legal action. At that point it made you sound like some kind of pervert. It certainly wasn't entertaining, if that was your intent (I'm quite sure it wasn't)
snow report
Gerry wrote:

Being a bit of a prick?

It would have been less concerning if it didn't come with a threat of legal action. At that point it made you sound like some kind of pervert. It certainly wasn't entertaining, if that was your intent (I'm quite sure it wasn't)

Anyway, so happy you won't be joining.
snow report
George Jones wrote:
A change of fortunes over the decades for a club that once owned premises with a bar in Eaton Square and is now reduced to renting a headquarters building in Zone 3. I suppose that mirrors the situation where Knightsbridge and Belgravia no longer count well-heeled Brits as their main residents and rely more on new money from the Middle East, Russia etc.

Well, forensically (or foreignsically) this is certainly true of the SCGB's previous HQ/clubhouse to which you refer.
According to a report by London Property Insider in 2013, 118 Eaton Square (for which the SCGB sold its 2024-expiry lease in 1997 for £1.3m net proceeds) was eventually "sold to a Russian businessman for £65m". I was recently in the area with my daughter to apply for German passports at the German embassy in Belgrave Square and we strolled past the very familiar front door of No.118. "Many many years ago your dad delivered a lot of articles to this place!" I said to her. The building was covered in masses of scaffolding and is receiving what looks like a mega-millions upgrade.

[Historical note: The Ski Club of GB moved from Hobart Place (off Eaton Square) to 118 Eaton Square in 1953. Its library at the time - perhaps the greatest ski library in the world - was said to contain approximately 5000 books and maps.

If someone might care to investigate the chain of ownership of 118 Eaton Square since 1997 that may make interesting reading. I imagine the freehold of that very prestigious address is retained by Grosvenor Estates.

As we know, the Club moved later in 1997 to 57-63 Church Road, Wimbledon. The building's freehold (which is what the Club bought) was valued at £1.4m at that time. I'm not sure of the actual purchase price, but could check the annual reports from that era.

So the building has now been sold on for £3.9m.

How does an appreciation of £1.4m (1997) to £3.9m (2016) rate in terms of London commercial property prices, over that 19+ years period? Anyone care to comment?

Perhaps Church Road will be converted to residential - its sale was promoted for potential development. Have the new owners submitted a planning application?

[that's enough questions - Ed.]

One final question: what are the plans for the SCGB library and archives?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy