Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
"The Ski Club is seeking a national Business to Business Field Sales Executive."

Quote:
The Ski Club of Great Britain is a not-for-profit organisation with over 28,000 members. We are seeking a national Business to Business Field Sales Executive. The purpose of the role is to drive sales of memberships, insurance and member holidays with the aim of aiding the Club to meet its ambitious membership and revenue targets. This is a new role in the Club and is being offered on a temporary 6 month, fixed term basis, with the possibility of becoming permanent.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=9716#.V4TEZesrLnA

An interesting factette from that description ...

Quote:
over 28,000 members

The most recent (autumn 2015) annual report of the SCGB reported a total membership figure of 28,597 (though this is NOT the number of subscriptions sold, which is not currently disclosed - it is the claimed gross membership).

But in March 2016, the Club revealed that it had "secured" an additional "15,000 new student members". For some reason these 15,000 new members (a pretty significant figure, since it represents a growth of over 50%) seem not to have been added to the overall membership figure. Shirley the membership figure should now be c.43,000 ?

It'll be interesting to see what figures appear in the 2016 SCGB annual report.

[end of daily permitted 'Davina Goldballs' posting.]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Davina Goldballs, ....do keep going. This is rather like the Indian-Pakistan daily exchange of artillery fire across the Kashmiri border - part quaint tradition, part lethal. Love it.

Gerry...pick your next type of munition - AP, HE, smoke, paint

(Paint is obscure Kelly's Heroes reference - Oddball...)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@valais2,

I think it's more like being alone and farting in a lift in an empty building and then posting about it on Facebook It has absolutely no impact on anyone else but certain individuals might derive a degree of satisfaction from having done it

It's similar in a way to those individuals that post in the HYS areas in the BBC. They seem so angry yet no-one generally gives a monkeys about what they think - I suppose must make them happy (??) I guess
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@valais2, and all the time with the negative waves...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
valais2 wrote:

What would you recommend for use against a complete and utter ****?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Silence is golden Gerry!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FFIRMIN wrote:
A Silencer is best Gerry to take out the opposition with minimal notice!

FIFY
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@FFIRMIN,

This....

http://youtube.com/v/bBdxLMRX5rs
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Or is it...

http://youtube.com/v/tfRJoxTkWhc
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Richard_Sideways, ...brilliant....you got it!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@valais2, Big Battle cat vs rooster or angry pu$$y vs c0ck the choice is yours......
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

http://youtube.com/v/xY-2dVGD-DM

Quote:
Now, the [Free]masonry. This exists too, perhaps only at the most senior level of the Club.

Does it exist within the administration of the Ski Club? -- David Goldsmith 2005
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ansta1 [21 June] wrote:
Show me a direct link to a vendor who has it on their books who I can call to make an offer?

ansta1 [22 June] wrote:
I am still awaiting those links to the agency(ies) where it's advertised?

ansta1 [23 June] wrote:

Question I asked has still not been answered, show me the agent listing the property David (not the property press who show the listings the agent had) and I will find out if they are accepting offers (which they aren't afaiu).

No malice, no axe just give me the info and I will do the leg work and report back.

You were given "the info" on 24 June (see p. 109). Where's your report?

ansta1 wrote:
FFIRMIN wrote:
A Silencer is best Gerry to take out the opposition with minimal notice!

FIFY

Ha ha. Rather than discussing the perfect murder, maybe stick to what you said you'd look into (above)?

Gerry wrote:
valais2 wrote:

What would you recommend for use against a complete and utter ****?

Likewise. Maybe, rather than requesting assassination guidance, we could have a civilised discussion about (for instance) the SCGB membership figures. They don't seem to add up, do they? Having "secured" an additional "15,000 new student members" it's not possible for the membership figure to remain the same (28,000) is it?

I mean ... we're dealing with primary school maths here.

Do these "15,000 new student members" have membership cards and numbers?

How many actual paid-up subscription units does the SCGB have on its books? The 'paying units' number has been missing from the annual reports for years.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

You were given "the info" on 24 June (see p. 109). Where's your report?

Here you go.

The property is currently under offer, we are however taking any further interests back to the instructing client for them to review.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ansta1 wrote:
The property is currently under offer, we are however taking any further interests back to the instructing client for them to review.

Thanks. Although you're communicating anonymously, and quoting (? - there are no quote marks) an anonymous source, let's take that in good faith as accurate. One thing's for sure - the property remains advertised today on the open market ...

https://propertylink.estatesgazette.com/property-details/6130237-the-white-house-57-63-church-road

But all that directly contradicts PlanetSki's report of 3 June 2016 ...

PlanetSki wrote:
The Ski Club of Great Britain has sold its HQ in Wimbledon and is now looking for new premises.

http://www.planetski.eu/news/8010

PlanetSki has excellent sources at the SCGB, since it's edited by James Cove - a former director of the Club. Was he given misleading information?
ski holidays
So .......... ?
latest report
@Davina Goldballs, A periodical agency roll up publication is probably not the best source, why not go to the listing agent where it clearly states 'under offer' and if you call them like I did you will get the same answer.

http://www.tspuk.com/Property
snow report
Snore . . .
snow report
@Davina Goldballs,
http://youtube.com/v/8cpl3yX9Ets
snow report
In reverse order [and thanks for the general enlightenment] ...

@Gerry, bon appetit.

@Nickski, sweet dreams.

@ansta1, you've directed us to property professionals who can't spell the word 'accommodation' and don't quote the price of the building. (the Estates Gazette PropertyLink site does quote the price). However, TSP does have an impressive client list of non-profit organisations: http://www.tspuk.com/Clients.
On the strength of the very limited information available, it seems increasingly unlikely that the "sold" status of the building (as per PlanetSki report on 3 June) is incorrect. Pre-Brexit, the SCGB also suggested that the building was sold (what other point would there be in saying an offer in excess of the asking price (£4m) had been accepted?). Post-Brexit, what is the situation, please?

The SCGB presumably says it wants to stay in the same area to retain its existing staff. I always assumed that the Club had moved to its specific location to learn and flourish from the huge global success of the All England Lawn Tennis Club - at Church Rd, London SW19 5AE - the SCGB's address is half-a-mile up the same road. The difference between the former and the latter is that the former doesn't need a street number. The SCGB is at numbers 57-63.
We still know little about the SCGB Council's rationale in saying that the Club needs to diversify its asset base - into what? Why? Is there really anything fundamentally wrong with the building - which can be largely sub-let? What type of building does the SCGB want to move to, and how does the SCGB library fit into the plan?
Related question: Is there any significance to the fact that the president of the AELTC is the Duke of Kent, who is patron of the SCGB? He is also, incidentally, the Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge [of freemasons].

Now - both the AELTC and United Grand Lodge of England - have libraries and museums. Both these organisations (and this is not an endorsement of freemasonry) are rooted in the histories and traditions of their respective actives - with massive , and core understandings of their respective roles. But the SCGB seems to have comprehensively removed itself (this has been going on for 50+ years now) from the broad community of British skiers ... and has membership numbers (2% to 3%) of that population. In 2016 it continues to be run for a 'club within a club' - the little but very vocal interests of the reps (leaders) and Freshtracks clients. For over 30 years I've opposed that 'modus operandi', and will continue to do so. It's a corruption of purpose.

The SCGB does, by the way, have a constitutional requirement (at least last time I checked) to maintain a library. That implies a requirement to have a librarian, and (much more relevant to the 21st century) acquisition of electronic information and - one might argue - the best global knowledge-base on skiing. The current SCGB seems to be more dedicated to pandering to commercial interests.

It's enough now. Half a decade of this nonsense should come to an end, and the SCGB should rescue itself from what looks like an abyss (Wimbledon crevasse) of pointlessness. That has to begin with a restoration of its role in publishing, electronic publishing ... and social media.

@FFIRMIN,
FFIRMIN wrote:
So .......... ?

Your complacency (pomposity?) is noted. See above

[end of weekend rant]
latest report
@Davina Goldballs, actually you directed me to them, i just made a phone call.

As for sold/under offer status thats a matter for lawyers but specifically the 'club' have said they have accepted an offer.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=9696#.V4nnLmrTXbM

I am sure you have been involved in lots of commercial property sales so understand that's it not always just a case of listing which light fitting you are going to leave or take before contracts are signed.

Particularly given the clubs stated intention to remain in the premises till 2017, on this final point I am surprised you haven't changed tack and gone down the 'they are selling but will have to pay rent and that is not a good use of the members money' route.

Thank god it's only one a day.

Note I haven't got snotty over the veiled 'you are a liar' comment.
snow conditions
@Davina Goldballs,
Quote:
[end of weekend rant]

Now that's over, let's return to the subject of free rucksacks. You know you've had your membership permanently and legally withdrawn, yet you still attempt to take up membership offers and promotions involving free rucksacks. Ok, through its own incompetence the Club has emailed you offers in the past, but you also claim that you visited the Club's stand at the London Ski Show on 8 November 2015 and succeeded in gaining possession of Club property via that route. This action appears to me to be an act of obtaining property by deception.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obtaining_property_by_deception

http://youtube.com/v/Q1CGauwoKcw
latest report
Pompous? Moi? I dont think so, my question "So?" was a follow up to an earlier post when I said I just dont get it, I dont get what you are trying to achieve, why it matters to you whether the building is actually still for sale, under offer or even collapsed into a sink hole (which I dont believe it has but nevertheless) you are not a member of the club, by your own admission, and yet you continue to maintain this vendetta. Arent there other and more positive endeavours you could put your very able brain and energies to and where you might actually make a difference and contribute to the betterment of others, the country, the world?
snow report
FFIRMIN wrote:
Pompous? Moi? I dont think so, my question "So?" was a follow up to an earlier post when I said I just dont get it, I dont get what you are trying to achieve, why it matters to you whether the building is actually still for sale, under offer or even collapsed into a sink hole (which I dont believe it has but nevertheless) you are not a member of the club, by your own admission, and yet you continue to maintain this vendetta. Arent there other and more positive endeavours you could put your very able brain and energies to and where you might actually make a difference and contribute to the betterment of others, the country, the world?

Apparently he's just got a job as equpiment editor of this monthly mag: http://viz.co.uk/quumf-mag-men-sniff-ladies-bike-saddles/.

But anyway, the best thing he could do is to seek help and advice from a mental health practitioner. Although I fear his condition is untreatable (there's no cure for being a ****), I suspect he could learn to manage it better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posttraumatic_embitterment_disorder
ski holidays
Once again in reverse order ...

@Gerry, it's not sensible to libel me, as you'll discover. I didn't obtain property by deception - it was offered and awarded to me by the Club, in the presence of a senior SCGB executive, because the Club fully comprehended its contractual duty and had welcomed me as member. No deception was involved in obtaining the backpack - it was part and parcel of a bog-standard membership offer. I don't have mental health issues.

@FFIRMIN, as you and @Gerry know perfectly well, I'm a current member of the Ski Club of Great Britain (most recently since November 2015). I first joined the Club in 1962, and served for 10 years as its equipment or associate editor from 1984, during a period when the magazine's newsstand sales quadrupled to 12,000. They are currently zero,000.
Why does the sale of the Club's HQ matter to me? Because I'm a stakeholder!
Well, obviously it doesn't matter if the SCGB can accommodate itself in a superior way and retain full security of its assets (currently held in a freehold building) ... but no one seems to be able to make sense of what's being communicated about this sale by the Club itself, its property agent, and PlanetSki (which is edited by an ex-BBC journalist and ex-SCGB director who reported that the building has been "sold"). If it's sold it isn't "under offer". If it's "under offer", but an offer in excess of the asking price has been accepted, the prospective buyer would conventionally have demanded that it be taken off the market while the expensive legal conveyancing takes place. If you can make any sense of the situation, perhaps by obtaining fresh information from a authoritative source, please do so.

To address your concerns, I devote minutes to this nonsense every day or two ... in the apparently forlorn hope that the national skiers' club might address its fundamental issues and future. I actually devote far more time to a network of ski news and discussion stuff elsewhere.

@ansta1, that's right you haven't "got snotty over the veiled 'you are a liar' comment" because there was no "veiled 'you are a liar'
comment".
ansta1 wrote:
I am surprised you haven't changed tack and gone down the 'they are selling but will have to pay rent and that is not a good use of the members money' route.

Maybe you know a lot more about this than you've indicated. Are you saying that the SCGB does not intend to reinvest in an alternative freehold building?
latest report
Davina Goldballs wrote:
Once again in reverse order ...

@Gerry, it's not sensible to libel me, as you'll discover. I didn't obtain property by deception - it was offered and awarded to me by the Club, in the presence of a senior SCGB executive, because the Club fully comprehended its contractual duty and had welcomed me as member. No deception was involved in obtaining the backpack - it was part and parcel of a bog-standard membership offer. I don't have

You have stated:

Davina Goldballs wrote:
FFIRMIN wrote:
Sorry David but if you are no longer a member why does it matter to you?

I appreciate why you say that, FFIRMIN [are you a lawyer, BTW, in which case 'which firm are you in'?] ... but you may appreciate from the top of p.109 that there is some ambiguity to my current SCGB membership status. As of last November I have a membership card, a 2016 membership pack and an Ortovox backpack with SCGB logo ... and am anticipating legal confirmation that this constitutes a current membership (given that I've received an emailed membership confirmation). I shall obviously wish to renew my subscription and attend the 2016 AGM.

In that case, you won't mind sharing this legal confirmation here. You can also email the chairman and CEO (copy me in) and get them to confirm your membership status. Failure to provide proof will only raise further suspicions regarding the incident at the Ski Show in Nov 2015 and your version of events.

You also said:

Quote:
The following morning there was a two-way conversation between a very senior SCGB executive and said person, by phone.
The bank payment of the subscription fee was not processed by the SCGB. 'Said person' remains in possession of the backpack.

Can you explain how it is that you're a member without having paid for the privilege?
snow report
So as to keep my blood pressure at near normal levels I shall add only one more comment then I shall not open this thread again - yes David I was a lawyer but no longer having retired four years ago. My own view would be that your "membership" is void as there is no fully formed contract between you and the club, in order to form a contract you need offer, acceptance and consideration. The club offered membership to you (albeit by mistake since you had previously been advised that you were not welcome within the club a fact apparently unknown to the person you discussed it with on the day), you accepted and attempted to make payment (consideration) but ultimately this was rejected and therefore the contract was incomplete. The fact that you have membership card may enable you to false hold yourself out as a member for the purpose of obtaining discounts etc although I would think it unlikely you would do that but it does not confirm that your membership has been accepted and formalised on a contractual basis. The club could have asked for the other items back but they didnt, I dont think retention of them denotes any dishonesty on your part, they were mistakenly handed over but the club has not apparently sought to recover them so has effectively "gifted" them to you but this does not without more (the consideration) constitute the completion of the membership contract. Someone else may have a different legal view but I doubt it and I shant know as I really shant be reading this thread any more. Pompous I am not and have never previously been accused of it and I dont take personal insults kindly.
latest report
Quote:
@FFIRMIN, So as to keep my blood pressure at near normal levels I shall add only one more comment then I shall not open this thread again

Don't let him bully you into retreating. The only person who thinks you're pompous is Goldenbollock, and that's the biggest case of the pot calling the kettle black since Adolf Hitler called Joseph Stalin and narcissist.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Maybe you know a lot more about this than you've indicated. Are you saying that the SCGB does not intend to reinvest in an alternative freehold building?

Oh dear David we have done this before. I am not, have never, and most likely will never be a member of the ski club.

At times you come across as intelligent but more frequently you come across as paranoid and with some serious shortcomings in the area of analysis.

If you read back over the history of the sale of the 'white house'. It was clear that they wanted to sell, it was also stated that they wanted to remain in the property till 2017.

This leaves 2 simple options. (but more options which are possibly beyond you so I won't dwell on those).

Option 1. They delay completion date till a date in 2017, carries risks on both sides so unlikely in my view.

Option 2. They sell, but with an agreed short hold tenancy of the current usage.

Options 2 means them possibly paying rent during that tenure.

I really can't believe you missed that point and have to assume you are blinded by you vendetta.

No more from me on this. It is sad in so many ways.
snow conditions
In reverse order ...

ansta1 wrote:
you come across as paranoid

I can assure you that I wasn't paranoid until I read that.

ansta1 wrote:

Option 1. They delay completion date till a date in 2017, carries risks on both sides so unlikely in my view.
Option 2. They sell, but with an agreed short hold tenancy of the current usage.

With respect, because I think it's perfectly relevant for you to raise those options, it doesn't advance our theories about the sale itself - i.e. what's the state of play? The key question raised was whether the SCGB intends to purchase another freehold building, or retain other high-quality assets to the full value of the sale? SCGB members would perhaps wish to be assured that the Club is not 'selling the family silver' to cover cash needs.

Gerry wrote:
... the biggest case of the pot calling the kettle black since Adolf Hitler called Joseph Stalin and narcissist.

You have a short memory, or maybe you missed it. I'm the eldest grandchild of 'The teacher who outsmarted Hitler' - Leonore Goldschmidt - and her husband, the berlin lawyer Ernst Goldschmidt ... who helped her establish a school in 1935.

http://youtube.com/v/VahNi1MfUsw
You can draw your own conclusions.

FFIRMIN wrote:
So as to keep my blood pressure at near normal levels ...

Honestly, it's not worth it. We're talking about the remnants of a once-fine British Club that had global significance.

FFIRMIN wrote:
My own view would be that your "membership" is void as there is no fully formed contract between you and the club, in order to form a contract you need offer, acceptance and consideration. The club offered membership to you (albeit by mistake since you had previously been advised that you were not welcome within the club a fact apparently unknown to the person you discussed it with on the day), you accepted and attempted to make payment (consideration) but ultimately this was rejected and therefore the contract was incomplete.

But the SCGB has itself sabotaged that argument by giving away 15,000 free (as I understand it) student memberships. Where is the "consideration" there? Please give this your full consideration.
Are you aware that the SCGB has repeatedly sent me personal invitations to join (including half-price membership offers) in recent years?
The opinion you're giving is highly contestable.

Gerry wrote:

In that case, you won't mind sharing this legal confirmation here ... Can you explain how it is that you're a member without having paid for the privilege?

You'll get nothing from me until you apologise for the libels above. You are a disgraceful 'social media representative' of the Ski Club of Great Britain and have been abusing people in this community for about 15 years.
It seems you can't even behave in a friendly and respectful way to SCGB members on the Club's own forum ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Ski-Club-Freshtracks?discussionID=15597#.V4yl1EYrLnA

A libertarian Club would certainly allow its members the option to communicate freely on their own terms, but you seem to wish to enforce some sort of authoritarian control by headquarters. Think about it.

Here's the email confirmation of SCGB membership, received on 8 November 2015. The Club has full bank details and is simply negligent in not actioning the payment, given that it has also confirmed the membership by awarding the backpack, membership pack and membership card ...

Quote:

Dear David,
Thank you for joining the Ski Club of Great Britain.
Your payment receipt
Name
David Goldsmith
Membership number
Your membership number will be emailed to you on the next working day
Payment for
Ski Club Membership: Individual
Payment ref
SCM-PDD20930
Amount
£64.00
Date
08 November 2015
Direct Debit
The Ski Club membership team will email you with confirmation of your Direct Debit within 3 working days
latest report
Davina Goldballs wrote:

Gerry wrote:

In that case, you won't mind sharing this legal confirmation here ... Can you explain how it is that you're a member without having paid for the privilege?

You'll get nothing from me until you apologise for the libels above.

It appears from what you yourself have stated, that you went to the Ski Club stand, engaged in conversation with a sales rep but failed to disclose to that person that your membership had been withdrawn and therefore that you were not eligible for any promotional membership deals. This was a deliberate deception on your part which resulted in you being given a membership application form to fill in and, on completion, a free gift of a rucksack. When your application form crossed the desk of the membership manager your application was rejected. I've checked with a Club official and you are not a member.

Don't make yourself out to be a victim when the reality is that you're a nasty, bullying, vindictive, little shit. Now, I suggest you send your swag back to the Club.
ski holidays
im getting a sense of deja vu now ..... rolling eyes
latest report
iskar wrote:
im getting a sense of deja vu now ..... rolling eyes

What, again?
latest report
Gerry wrote:

It appears from what you yourself have stated, that you went to the Ski Club stand, engaged in conversation with a sales rep but failed to disclose to that person that your membership had been withdrawn and therefore that you were not eligible for any promotional membership deals. This was a deliberate deception on your part which resulted in you being given a membership application form to fill in and, on completion, a free gift of a rucksack. When your application form crossed the desk of the membership manager your application was rejected. I've checked with a Club official and you are not a member.

Don't make yourself out to be a victim when the reality is that you're a nasty, bullying, vindictive, little shit. Now, I suggest you send your swag back to the Club.

More lies and libel. It just gets more extreme.
This was typed by a representative and former director of the Ski Club of Great Britain. Makes one wonder why the Club takes no action to stop this.
ski holidays
Quote:

Makes one wonder why the Club takes no action to stop this.

They like you less ?
snow conditions
geeo wrote:
Quote:

Makes one wonder why the Club takes no action to stop this.

They like you less ?

That seems totally inconceivable, but if your question was for laughs ... it's appreciated!

The job description for two newly-advertised positions at the SCGB (along with the one above) give clues as to where the Club is headed next ...

Job Vacancy: Member Services Assistant
Quote:
Role type: Seasonal, full time
Salary: £18,000 to £19,000, dependent on experience.

[Includes] ... Experience of working with travel insurance is desired ... provide a one-stop-shop ... including Ski Club Travel insurance and related products ... Explain the benefits of Ski Club Platinum membership, including advising on the insurance cover, medical screening and upgrade options, ensuring we meet compliance and operate within our approved recommender status ... Desirable: ... Experience of advising on travel insurance products.

latest report
Are you going to apply David.
latest report
@Davina Goldballs, ....very interesting on 'where they are going....'

a bit like the history of peugeot: start at 3.11....

http://youtube.com/v/KTwa0ze2EMA

but of course ... the 205 and 306 were when peugeot were good. And I assume the SCGB had a 205 phase...
ski holidays

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 20-07-16 21:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Any theories as to why Wimbledon club house is being flogged?

It was handy for the annual meeting but did not get much use from most ordinary members.

Is the club short of funds?

Is this a precursor to the club becoming a niche holiday company?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy