Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Can get everything they offer cheaper and better elsewhere so no desire to subsidise the skiing of people I have not enjoyed the company of. It is an anachronism. Don't think taking people off psite with limited training or thinking they are above the law of a land a good idea but if you don't like it don't join or change it from within.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TTT, I agree with every word of your post. I think I may need help. Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pedantica, I agreed with your post on FC French like his skiing. It's worrying Happy. I've not a big thing against them as I really enjoy skiing with some members but just so happens the leaders I've met have not been great. It is more with internet (e.g SHs) these days and contacts I can get deals, information, arrange skiing trips and meet up with people without the need for SCGB so just don't think they are as reelvant as they were
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NEWS just in ... from The White House, Wimbledon ...

Fiona Jane Best, appointed to operate the PR account for the Ski Club of Great Britain last September (having previously served the Club as Head of Marketing (1999-2007), and acted as Sponsorship Manager for the Royal Yachting Association) ...
... has just announced (via Facebook) that she is "handing over the PR baton to Beth Begg".

Beth Begg has announced on LinkedIn that she's been appointed as PR & Partnerships Manager for the SCGB from this month ...
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/beth-begg/11/84/693

The job of PR and Partnerships Manager at the Skeeb was originally advertised in April 2014, and re-advertised in July 2014 ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856&start=4080#2679622

...so this is a much-anticipated appointment. I'm sure everyone in New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum will wish to join me in wishing Beth Begg every success in this role.

David Goldsmith
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MORE NEWS just in ... from the Foreign Office ...

Foreign Office Twitter Q&A on winter sports 3pm to 4pm (GMT), Friday 20 February

Beth Begg will have an immediate role tomorrow as "winter sports campaign manager" for the SCGB in this live event ...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/foreign-office-twitter-qa-on-winter-sports
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@TTT, I've met/skied with one excellent leader, the rest (admittedly a small sample) have not been good.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm sure there are some very good ones just not the ones I've met
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haha, you two obviously haven't met me Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anybody know why there is an Office To Let sign outside sKGB HQ?
(before the assassination squad go after me - )
It's a nice location, so just curious. Perhaps admin&co could do with the extra space?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I believe that the ski club has never used the whole building and has always had at least one sub tenant.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has SCGB membership climbed over 30,000 again?

A snow-update article by the Club for The Independent a couple of days ago ...

Europe's ski slopes hit peak condition for half-term
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/skiing/europes-ski-slopes-hit-peak-condition-for-halfterm-10051888.html

... states "The Ski Club of Great Britain is a not-for-profit snowsports club which offers benefits to more than 30,000 members"

The last three SCGB annual reports have quoted declining membership numbers ...

2012: 30,457
2013: 30,110
2014: 28,990

Bear in mind that caution is advisable in taking SCGB membership figures at face value, as per the analysis of New SCGB chat forum on 6 February:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856&start=3840#2674979
It seems that recent figures are about 6000 too high.

David Goldsmith
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Karl Marx, "it seems that recent figures are about 6000 too high" Not true, just your assertion which has been rubbished allready. Stop making things up to suit your point in(whatever that is!)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am having trouble with all the emphasis on the 'membership count'. It really is crazy that any group should be measured by one single metric. When it comes down to it, if I go on a bash, and there is just me there, then do I enjoy it only 100th as much as when there are 100 snowheads there? No.

As humans, we seem to be herd animals who value things by how many other people also declare an interest, without actually living the thing its-self.

Mr Marx, can you factor other things into your 'declining membership' calculation...eg, cost, social interaction, discounts, how many miles a member skis & loads of tings I have not thought of yet...and how those things may (or may not) have changed.

I ask, not to disprove your central point, but possibly, as I don't know the answers, to reenforce it. Eg, if membership subs have gone up ahead of inflation, or do those members now involved actually ski more days or miles than the 'glory days' members of the past.

THis could involve a bit of a complex spreadsheet, with plenty of guestimates and wide error bounds. Could be an interesting project for someone.

(Basic value=membershp calc makes SCGB 125 times better than facebook ski.hub, or infinitely worse if membership subs are taken into count )
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David, as our host on this thread please feel free to respond.

Assuming you are not selling cigarettes in the foyer or whatever ushers do these days.
Be thankful you are not the "cheap after shave and towel man" in the bogs, even though it is highly lucrative. They are always belligerent west Africans for some reason, you are not west African are you? Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Filthyphil30k wrote:

Assuming you are not selling cigarettes in the foyer or whatever ushers do these days.
Be thankful you are not the "cheap after shave and towel man" in the bogs, even though it is highly lucrative. They are always belligerent west Africans for some reason, you are not west African are you? Embarassed

Last time I bumped into one of those bog blokes, he invited me to his wedding! Very Happy
ski holidays
LOTA wrote:
Filthyphil30k wrote:

Last time I bumped into one of those bog blokes, he invited me to his wedding! Very Happy

The surprise was you were to be the bride Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Filthyphil30k wrote:

I'll happily respond as follows:

1. Because of the enlightened and progressive employment strategy of Southbank Centre I'm very happy to work with an extremely diverse team of employees, of all ethnicities and religions. Perhaps if society - globally - operated on the basis of people mixing like this, in all situations (particularly places of employment) we'd have a happier world.

2. You'll occasionally see me selling ice creams and programmes in the foyers. Our team also run the cloakrooms. But our main role is 'welcoming' and - since you insist on the word - "ushering".

3. One of our roles is to check toilets (and unobstructed routes of all emergency exits) before each performance, to see that there's paper, soap and clean WCs.

4. No, I'm not west African. I can't imagine what you're trying to communicate there. I very much enjoy the company of black people, white people, Asians etc. etc. and hope you do too.

David
ski holidays
philipb wrote:
@Karl Marx, "it seems that recent figures are about 6000 too high" Not true, just your assertion which has been rubbished allready. Stop making things up to suit your point in(whatever that is!)

As I recall, one snowHead did a calculation on a previous page which established that 16,000+ was about right for the number of SCGB subscriptions. On the basis of all past SCGB data, the ratio of gross membership to subscriptions ('paying units') is about 1.5/1.0. In recent years we've been asked to accept that the ratio is nearer 2.0/1.0.

As previously pointed out, the Club decided to include 'children' up to 24-years-old in family memberships (uniquely, as far as I can gather, for national membership organisations) some years ago. A couple of peculiar reasons for this were given. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Question: how many SCGB membership cards (assuming that's the gross membership) were issued in financial year 2013-4? The 2014-5 figure will be possible on 30 April 2015 (end of financial year).
snow conditions
Quote:

Question: how many SCGB membership cards (assuming that's the gross membership) were issued in financial year 2013-4? The 2014-5 figure will be possible on 30 April 2015 (end of financial year).

No idea - why don't you use your SCGB membership privileges to ask them directly on their member's forum, or ask their membership officer, rather than ask on here?
ski holidays
@ajpaul, because he isn't a member (whatever he says) and they won't talk to him because they are bored with his ranting.

@Karl Marx, please stop hyphenating things which aren't compound adjectives. It's bringing me out in a rash.
ski holidays
@Lizzard. I know Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@Lizzard, He brings us all out in a rash ! Embarassed Evil or Very Mad Shocked rolling eyes Skullie
snow report
Nearly 236000 views. Wow, not bad for a boring thread that everyone hates. Very Happy
snow conditions
@thecramps, schadenfreude, in my case, I'm ashamed to say. Embarassed
ski holidays
@achilles, You probably speak for 99% of snowheads, We all do it but.............................
snow report
achilles wrote:
@thecramps, schadenfreude, in my case, I'm ashamed to say. Embarassed

Ah ... a re-brand ... and executive luggage merchandising opportunity ...

Schadenfreude Case of Great Britain

Available with wheels. Stowable as cabin baggage. Internal pockets for pens, documents, bottled water and schadenfreude.
snow report
THE SCGB IN VAL D'ISERE

Life in the Espace Killy has not been without its ups and downs (not necessarily lift-related) for the SCGB in recent years. Despite Tignes being the Club's December training base for new reps (leaders) - for a very long time - relations with the ESF and Gendarmes in Val d'Isère have turned icy.

Following the prosecution (and subsequent conviction) of a SCGB rep earlier this winter - for leading skiers without required qualifications - groups of SCGB members are reportedly now organising days on the slopes with the assistance of local resort workers. SCGB member David Peerless comments (on the Club's public forum): "Naturally this is not leading or guiding" ... "I add that this has worked well for about 8 weeks now" ... "we conform to the norm of one free day with seasonaires then a non member is expected to join the Club."

It's not clear whether this activity is officially approved by the Club - bearing in mind the potential legal, liability and insurance overtones - or whether the seasonaires suggest routes etc., which might influence any interpretation of their role (or the Club's) in relation to French law.

Perspective on this ... Telegraph report of 13 January, with this comment by SCGB CEO Frank McCusker about the Club's next legal moves ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/skiing-news/11343490/French-court-finds-against-Ski-Club-of-Great-Britain.html

Quote:
We have asked our lawyer to immediately lodge an appeal to the court in Chambéry. He will also be lodging an official complaint with the European Commission on our behalf.

It's not known, at this stage, whether the SCGB plans to continue its 'ambassador' service into next winter.

[posted by David Goldsmith]
snow report
Semi-related news re. Val d'Isère ... concerning the conviction of a French ski instructor, whose client was killed in an avalanche in 2010 ...

PisteHors.com: http://pistehors.com/ski-instructor-faces-18-month-suspended-sentence-23766877.htm

PlanetSki.eu: http://www.planetski.eu/news/6795
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"Today the Ski Club is the biggest club of its type in the world"

From a new SCGB recruitment video "Get closer to the mountains": http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiclubtv/video.aspx?videoID=12462&playlistID=137#.VQroOFUgiiw

If we include Germany in "the world", the DSV (Deutsche Skiverband - German Ski Association) claims 650,000 skiers, organised through regional skiing associations within the DSV. In 2013 the DSV was reportedly selling over 300,000 insurance policies to members.
The most recent membership figures of the SCGB have been 28,990 gross (SCGB 2014 annual report) or claimed subscription sales of around 16,500.

--------------------------------------------

Sources: http://www.deutscherskiverband.de/ueber_uns_der_dsv_zahlen_fakten_de,470.html
In English [scroll down]: http://www.median-kliniken.de/en/about-median/cooperation-partners/

DSV size/insurance sales: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856&start=1760#2335588
snow conditions
Even if we ignore about 14,000 of certain peoples sock puppets Snowheads has more members than the SCGB, so not even the biggest UK based snow sports club let alone the worlds
latest report
In the same way that people will always gawp at a car crash......
snow report
what does 'of its type' mean?...

....well, whatever you want...
latest report
Darn it...we almost went for one month without feeding the troll...
snow report
The SCGB's 2014-5 financial year ended on 30 April 2015 - a couple of weeks ago.

Time, perhaps, to review how many skiers belong to Britain's national ski club. There are two current claims, from the same source ...

This page ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/presscentre/faqs.aspx#whatisskiclub

... says 29,000
Quote:
The Ski Club of Great Britain is the largest snowsports Club in the UK with 29,000 members. We are the voice of recreational snowsports and exist to help you get the most from your time on snow.

This page ...

https://skiclubgb.wordpress.com/about/

... says 33,000
Quote:
With over 33,000 members we’re the UK’s biggest snowsports community, with the UK’s leading snowsports website.

Is either figure - 29,000 or 33,000 - correct?
ski holidays
The more important figure is the number of subscriptions sold, but this figure has not been published in the past 3 annual reports - 2012, 2013 , 2014. Why would the board of directors choose not to disclose that figure?

Recently the SCGB claimed ...

As pointed out on 19 March ...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856&start=4200#2702424

... the DSV (Deutsche Skiverband - German Ski Association) claims 650,000 skiers
snow report

The thing is that this is just waffle as the "of its type" qualifier makes it completely meaningless (as I've just noticed Flangesax has already pointed out). They haven't said what they mean by 'type' so it could be anything including "serving UK skiers with a paid membership service."
snow report
Just released by the Skeeb ... video of the first of the 'club nights' (13 May) at Hemel Snow Centre with Chemmy Alcott, Ski Club Ambassador (SCAmbassador) ...

NB - I did not type "SCAmbassador" - it's been auto-monkeyed

http://youtube.com/v/B_7dfMtuhZQ

Another one on 10 June, and according to Chemmy it'll be "a monthly thing". In which case, it would be an excellent idea to have each monthly session listed in the SCGB events calendar ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/eventcalendar/default.aspx?month=01+Jun+2015#.VVx1uzY4nTY

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 20-05-15 13:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just released by the Skeeb ... video of the first of the 'club nights' (13 May) at Hemel Snow Centre with Chemmy Alcott, "Ski Club Ambassador" ...

http://youtube.com/v/B_7dfMtuhZQ

Another one on 10 June, and according to Chemmy it'll be "a monthly thing". In which case, it would be an excellent idea to have each monthly session listed in the SCGB events calendar ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/eventcalendar/default.aspx?month=01+Jun+2015#.VVx1uzY4nTY
latest report
[deliberate double-post to demonstrate auto-monkeying. Second post was engineered - 'tweak typed' - to disarm auto-monkeying]
ski holidays
is Chemmy a qualified race coach then ?? Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy