Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
There we go. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DG, if your PC goes all technicolour U know where to start looking!

Im switching my Helmet for a Tin Foil Hat...this is getting deeeeeeeeep.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And now for something completely different
and terribly interesting
What's the size of the UK ski market?
Figures from SCGB, Crystal and ABTA differ by over 100%

Source: UK Snowsports Market Twice As Large As Thought? [Skipedia]
http://www.skipedia.co.uk/2015/02/uk-snowsports-market-twice-as-large-as-thought/

SCGB: "The Ski Club of Great Britain have not committed themselves to a figure for the size of the market since 2013, when they estimated it at 1.4 million. In 2014, CEO Frank McCusker, would only say that it was ‘not far off the million mark’." [a fall of 400,000 in one year?]

Crystal: "Their 2014 report showed that the size of the market was 867,700 in 2013/14"

ABTA: "... research by ABTA at the end of last year, showed that 12 million people were planning a winter holiday, and that of those 18% were planning a ski or snowboarding break.
That suggests a market size of 2.16 million"

Clearly a 4th view is needed

ABBA: http://bp3.blogger.com/_A_K7YglDuIc/RceYGb6ddOI/AAAAAAAAATs/i2eftJHspsY/s400/skis.jpg

[Anyone got any ARABBA jokes?]

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 11-02-15 18:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
DG, if your PC goes all technicolour U know where to start looking!

Im switching my Helmet for a Tin Foil Hat...this is getting deeeeeeeeep.

Absolutely - it's not a Conspiracy Theory if it's true!

The truth about Big Helmet and their plans for world domination are being revealed! Wake up sheeple!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Were Crystals figures so low as most of those surveyed were their customers who were stuck on transfer buses and in dis-used sports halls unable to get to resort to ski? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
at least on Mumsnet they appear to close threads after 1000 posts - this thread reached it in a few days : http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_classics/a2301982-Im-getting-sick-and-tired-of-dinosaurs-being-forced-on-our-children rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 11-02-15 19:18; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Karl Marx wrote:
And now for something completely different
and terribly interesting
What's the size of the UK ski market?
Figures from SCGB, Crystal and ABTA differ by over 100%

Source: UK Snowsports Market Twice As Large As Thought? [Skipedia]
http://www.skipedia.co.uk/2015/02/uk-snowsports-market-twice-as-large-as-thought/

SCGB: "The Ski Club of Great Britain have not committed themselves to a figure for the size of the market since 2013, when they estimated it at 1.4 million. In 2014, CEO Frank McCusker, would only say that it was ‘not far off the million mark’." [a fall of 400,000 in one year?]

Crystal: "Their 2014 report showed that the size of the market was 867,700 in 2013/14"

Are non-skiing children up to the age of twenty four included in any of these figures?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What about non-skiing ex journalist types up to the age of 70?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How would either of those organisations know any of that anyway? Crystal know how many people book their holidays, and they may also be able to make a rough estimate of how many travelled with other major operators. They haven't the foggiest idea that (for example) my mate from Edinburgh spent a week kipping on my sofa and skiing various resorts in the Oisans, the Taillefer and the Belledonne. They haven't even heard of the Taillefer, for a start.

Likewise, the Saga Club knows how many members it has, and has access to Crystal's blurb same as the rest of us do. It has no idea how many of its members actually went skiing though, and like Crystal it wots not at all of people like my sofa-surfing pal.

So the whole thing is just s load of old rubbish really.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Yeah but we can do another 100 pages on it surely Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hm, the plot gets thicker and thicker. Now @Lizzard suggests she has a mate.

Just kidding @Lizzard, Sending big snogs your way x
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Shimmy Alcott, Eee, you're on fire tonight Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Sending big snogs your way x

Ew, please don't. I would be alarmed if my mate did either, as she's a lesbian. Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At first I didn't care, then I was a bit interested, but now Let me tell you where I am on this...... I'm out. DG, it's just too much all the time. Good luck.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I haven't got a clue what's going on but like a moth in a tanning salon I... just ... can't... look... away...
snow report
DG / KM, I have to ask. Is that you with ABBA in the photo?
latest report
Urgent job opportunity at the Skeeb [Freshtracks] ... Flaine

It appears that the job runs until mid-April 2015. Begins 14 February. Closing date today, as far as I can make out ...
http://www.skijobs.co.uk/jobs/chalet_host_jobs/france/r/
"Chalet Couple/Duo required for Chalet Freshtracks - Flaine, France Sat 14 Feb - Mid April 2015"
Quote:
Posted - 6th Feb 2015 Expires - 6th Mar 2015
Location - France Start date - 14th Feb 2015

SCGB ad. doesn't specify closing date ...
Job vacancy: Chalet Couple/Duo required for Chalet Freshtracks - Flaine, France
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=9394#.VNyHQdUgiiw#

Quote:
Ski Club Freshtracks are looking for an experienced team of two - couple or friends - to run a 9 person chalet from mid Feb through to mid April.

"Deadline for applications – ASAP!"
ski holidays
Perhaps you and one of your socks should apply.
ski holidays
Quote:

CGB ad. doesn't specify closing date ...

Quote:

Closing date today, as far as I can make out ...

Quote:

Posted - 6th Feb 2015 Expires - 6th Mar 2015
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, you need to click through to the job spec itself ... from the link on ...
http://www.skijobs.co.uk/jobs/chalet_host_jobs/france/r/
to ...
http://www.skijobs.co.uk/jobs/chalet_host/ski/france/chalet_host-6891.html

Quote:
This job expired on 12/02/2015

http://www.skijobs.co.uk/jobs/chalet_host/ski/france/chalet_host-6891.html
[Excuse me ... If a job commences on 14 February, it's not normal to have a closing date of 6 March.]

The job ad is still running today on the SCGB site, which suggests that the vacancy may still be open ...
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=9394#.VNyHQdUgiiw#
ski holidays
@Karl Marx, they are running the advert beyond the start date as they realise they might not fill the vacancy by their chosen start date - all very normal in recruitment of this nature
snow conditions
Since we're talking SCGB jobs, it might be interesting to look at how the staff numbers grew by 75% between 1995 and 2013, despite subscription numbers only increasing by 12%.
The following analysis took place on page 43 of this thread ...

SCGB STAFFING NUMBERS

In 1995 the Ski Club of Britain had 14,995 subscription payers ('paying units'). The staffing comprised a total of 16 SCGB employees (excluding temporary and casual staff):

Office and administration: 9
Club holidays: 3
Information: 1
Skiing operations: 1
Ski Survey: 1
Catering: 1

In 2013 the Club did not publish its subscription numbers. The previous year (2012) they were believed to be around 16,800. The staffing in 2013 comprised a total of 28 SCGB employees (though no definition is indicated as to who are non-temporary or casual, so this figure may not be truly comparable with the 1995 figure):

Chief Executive
PA to Chief Executive
Financial Controller
Assistant Accountant x 2
Head of Communications
PR Manager
Digital Content and Social Media Executive
Website Manager
Video Content Editor
Digital Marketing Executive
Marketing Communications Executive
IT Manager
Head of Membership Services
Membership Manager
Membership Executive
Information Executive
Events Marketing Executive
Head of Partnerships
Partnerships Manager
Partnerships Assistant
Operations Coordinator
General Manager, Ski Club Freshtracks
Sales/operations Manager
Sales and Operations Consultant x 2
Editor, Ski+Board
Deputy Editor, Ski+Board

Additionally, two other 'members of staff' are listed (media sales, overseas publishing consultant), but these appear to be external agents.

---------------
Source of data above: 1995 annual report, 2013 (current) list of staff on SCGB website
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/structure/default.aspx#.Uef_hawvTIs [possibly only accessible to SCGB members]
---------------

Since August 2012, the SCGB has advertised these jobs [this may not be a complete list]

The total number of SCGB employees in 2015 is not known. Subscription numbers were claimed to be around 16,500 in autumn 2014.

Aug 2012 Sales and Operations Consultant
Nov 2012 Resort Operations Co-ordinator
Mar 2013 Art Director, Ski + Board
Jun 2013 Marketing Communications Manager
Aug 2013 Snow Reporter
Sep 2013 Partnerships Manager
Nov 2013 Editor, Ski + Board
Dec 2013 Website Manager
Dec 2013 Chalet Couple/Duo
Jan 2014 Digital Communications Assistant
Feb 2014 Web manager
Mar 2014 Video and Social Media Executive
Apr 2014 PR and Partnerships Manager
July 2014 Digital Content Editor
July 2014 PR and Partnerships Manager
Aug 2014 Snow Reporter
Oct 2014 Events Executive
Oct 2014 Deputy Editor, Ski + Board
Oct 2014 Graphic Designer, Ski + Board
Feb 2015 Chalet Couple/Duo
snow report
Job creation is good, surely. What is your point?
ski holidays
I've no idea where else they generated revenue from in 1995 but by 2014 membership subscriptions accounted for only about 25% of their total income.

Unsurprisingly, developing other income streams requires additional work and employees to do it.

Nothing wrong that I can see.
snow report
Layne wrote:
Quote:

Yeah but we can do another 100 pages on it surely Twisted Evil

A quarter of a million views is a closer target. We should aim for that.
ski holidays
We should describe them as a quarter of a million "unique" views.

Then quickly boost the number to 500,000 to allow for non-surfing 24 year olds.
latest report
Tinwhistle wrote:
Job creation is good, surely. What is your point?

Firstly, I'd be grateful if you didn't call me Shirley. My name is Karl, when I'm not David (Goldsmith).

Yes, productive and cost-effective (you left those words out) job creation is good. My point (already made) is that SCGB staff numbers increased by 75%, while the subscriber ('paying unit' members) number only increased by 12% ... between 1995 and 2013.
Pay particular attention to "Partnerships Manager" and "PR and Partnerships Manager" in the list above (a job apparently advertised and re-advertised over a period of 10 months). Presumably the meaning of that is the strategy chosen. Partners (commercial?) as well as independent sub-paying members. Who calls the shots? Who accounts for the key revenue? Those questions are relevant to the next point by olderscot, and particularly significant in relation to the heavy discounting of SCGB subscriptions over the past year. One could end up with the SCGB membership simply becoming commercial fodder for the 'partners' - a kind of customer base for anything - if the balance isn't right. Where are the lines drawn, in terms of the SCGB being an independent club controlled by its members?

olderscot wrote:
I've no idea where else they generated revenue from in 1995 but by 2014 membership subscriptions accounted for only about 25% of their total income.
Unsurprisingly, developing other income streams requires additional work and employees to do it.
Nothing wrong that I can see.

SCGB director Gerry Aitken made this point in his 2011 electoral address: "I will also press for the Ski Club becoming less commercial and more independently financed, with a higher percentage of turnover coming from a larger number of members." That seems quite sound. How did he play for this? Did his fellow directors agree with him?
latest report
@Karl Marx, its not any of your business who they recruit. You are not a member. If members care then its up to them to put their questions to the SCGB. Its not even an interesting observation. Can you not find a better cause to fight for?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Shimmy Alcott, what's the point of telling people that Karl Marx [DG] is not a member of the Ski Club of Great Britain? He's been a member of the SCGB from 1962 to 1971, 1987 to 30 September 2013, and from 6 January 2015 into the future. If you accept that the expulsion of 30.9.2013 was illegal under the SCGB Rules (as asserted), then the membership has been continuous since 1987.

That is the simple factual and legal situation - the sooner you return to reality the better.
ski holidays
Karl Marx wrote:
@Shimmy Alcott, If you accept that the expulsion of 30.9.2013 was illegal under the SCGB Rules (as asserted)

That is the simple factual and legal situation - the sooner you return to reality the better.
snow report
But only you seem to think this.
snow conditions
You have stated that you were expelled. You have stated that payment was not taken for your recent application and you were told your membership application would not be accepted. Whether you believe these actions legal or not, until you legally challenge these and the actions reversed and you get your membership reinstated .... You remain " not a member" !!

The sooner you return to reality the better ........ For everyone !!
latest report
DG amusing Snowheads since 5th Feb 2004
ski holidays
I think the Saga Club has made it abundantly clear that you aren't a member, they don't want you as a member and they won't accept any application by you for membership. This would seem to suggest to the casual observer that you are not, in fact, a member. You would appear to have been thoroughly dismembered.
ski holidays
SCGB Rule 21 [Expulsion]

@blahblahblah, I'm afraid you're wrong. The clauses of Rule 21 [Expulsion] of the Ski Club of Great Britain are quoted below.

Rule 21.(d) was not complied with - DG was never invited to appear before the meeting.
Rule 21.(c) is not believed to have been followed. DG was simply informed that the expulsion had taken place at a "properly convened and quorate Council meeting on 19 September 2013."
Rule 21.(b) is also of potential concern - it's not known if the stipulations of that rule were complied with.

Ski Club of Great Britain wrote:

Expulsion

21.(a) The Council shall have power to expel a member for breach of Club rules or for conduct on or off the Club premises which in the opinion of the Council is of a nature likely to prove injurious to the character, reputation or interests of the Club.

21.(b) The question of the expulsion of a member must appear on the agenda of the Council Meeting at which it is to be considered. At least fourteen days' notice shall be required for such a meeting.

21.(c) At least eight members of the Council must be present when the expulsion of a member is considered and a majority of two-thirds of those present and voting shall be necessary to carry a motion for expulsion. The Council shall not delegate the power of expulsion to any Committee.

21.(d) The member concerned shall be notified in writing that the question is to be considered and shall be given the opportunity to appear before the meeting either in person or by proxy to state his case or to make a written statement.
snow report
It is irrelevant ....
Wether they have breached their rules or not, they "have" expelled you ..... and to the club, you are not a member ...
You have to legally challenge to have the ruling over turned... But as it is ... Legal or illegal, like it or not ......
You are indeed an ex member !
latest report
@limegreen1, you and others keep going on like this ... as if the SCGB has some sort of innate legal authority or moral respectability. If you've been following this thread over the past couple of years, you'll know that the SCGB has ...

- Falsified its membership statistics, for years and currently, at 29,000 to 34,000 etc. Failed to publish its subscription numbers ('paying units') for the past 3 years.
- Failed to account for the income/expenditure of its ten-year cumulative 'environmental fund' of c.£100,000
- Promoted and sold ski helmets using false head injury data
- Sold advertising for Ski Club TV, its magazine Ski+Board and its website, using false audience data, from 2011 to 2014.
- Published false snow depth data for Scottish ski areas, and repeatedly (each winter for the past 3 winters) reported Scottish ski areas "closed" all weekend, when they've been open.

On that basis, why stick up for a 'kangaroo court' in its expulsion of a member?

limegreen1 wrote:
You have to legally challenge to have the ruling over turned

No I don't! Clubs are perfectly capable of addressing wrongs and putting them right. I'm not paying the fees of 'men in wigs'
snow conditions
Quote:

You are indeed an ex member !

Lovely plumage though. Laughing
latest report
Karl Marx wrote:
... as if the SCGB has some sort of innate legal authority or moral respectability.
Yet you continue to assert that the Ski Club speaks on behalf of British skiers and that's what makes it acceptable for you to abuse the hospitality of snowHeads to pursue your vendetta against the club and some of it's (former?) officers. You can't have it both ways. Surely any club that has the authority to speak on behalf of a nation has the authority to expel members and decline applications for their readmission...?
latest report
Karl Marx wrote:

- Sold advertising for Ski Club TV, its magazine Ski+Board and its website, using false audience data, from 2011 to 2014.
I'm no lawyer but I'd have guessed that's a libellous statement unless you have the facts to prove it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy