Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Terms and Conditions for 'Believe It Or Not' SCGB AGM Minutes Competition

1. All entrants must be 13 or over. One entry per snowHead only. No use of Google or Gogol.

2. The admin's decision is final.

3. No employee, official or other person with inside knowledge may enter.

4, Anyone infringing rule 3 will be expelled at their own expense on the trans-Siberian railway (3rd class accommodation) to a Siberian ski resort of their choice for a once-in-a-lifetime experience: the exceptional ski conditions (snow of a dryness one can only normally dream of) to be enjoyed at -30C to -40C.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tomorrow (29th Jan)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Karl Marx. I mean, really? Seriously??

Goldperson, for the umpteenth time, go and get the help you so evidently need. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Lizzard, Shocked can you not save your opinions until after I have won the book?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard wrote:
Karl Marx. I mean, really? Seriously??

Goldperson, for the umpteenth time, go and get the help you so evidently need. rolling eyes

Surely it's goldpeople, seems a few of them, agree with the sentiment though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Randy McMurphy might be a good snowheads name for your next anti ski club sock.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard wrote:
Karl Marx. I mean, really?

Yes. And what's more, the price you pay - no Ripley's Believe It Or Not for you, my dear - is $2.99 for an e-edition of The Communist Manifesto.

Hopefully an ex-Commie(dienne) such as yourself will appreciate this fun read.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 29-01-15 0:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Karl Marx, Another sock to add to the drawer wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
halfhand wrote:
Another sock

'Alternative player' if you don't mind. Thank you.

Today let us turn our thoughts to the concept of 'the club'. What does the word actually mean, and why does it derive from a hard hand-held object that primitive men deployed to bash each other over the head, rendering them senseless and incapable of running the proverbial ski-up on a nursery slope?

It is surely obvious by now - after 15-20 years of snocial media - that the old concept of 'the club' (male-dominated affair, run by secretive committee, oblivious to the best interests of members, somewhat incapable of creative solutions) is dead in the snow.

[Karl Marx, SCGB member from 1962. Londoner from 1849 until his dying day in 1883. Habitué of the British Library reading room]
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
halfhand wrote:
@Karl Marx, Another sock to add to the drawer wink
And this from a poster who takes every opportunity to berate other forum users for not using "real names". Breathtaking hypocrisy, and just shows how much respect he has for his fellow forum users (none, he just sees it as a platform to push his opinions on everyone else). I need more than 5 ignores...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We have bloke down my local like that knows everything about nothing, and always happy to share his opinions, over and over again. He wont be told either.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rob@rar wrote
Quote:

And this from a poster who takes every opportunity to berate other forum users for not using "real names". Breathtaking hypocrisy

Well said.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
And this from a poster who takes every opportunity to berate other forum users for not using "real names". Breathtaking hypocrisy, and just shows how much respect he has for his fellow forum users (none, he just sees it as a platform to push his opinions on everyone else). I need more than 5 ignores...

rob@blahblahrar, thank you for that contribution, richly deserved.

Would you like to win a copy of Ripley's Believe It Or Not? All you have to do is guess the publication date of the (believable/unbelievable) AGM minutes of the Ski Club of Great Britain.

blahblahblah wrote:
We have bloke down my local like that knows everything about nothing, and always happy to share his opinions, over and over again. He wont be told either.

Is he a member of the Ski Club of Great Britain?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Karl Marx"

[quote="blahblahblah wrote:

Is he a member of the Ski Club of Great Britain?[/quote]

I imagine he has the same membership status as you.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I hear that @Karl Marx won't drink Earl Grey because in his opinion all proper tea is theft.
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, Laughing
snow report
Karl Marx wrote:
Terms and Conditions for 'Believe It Or Not' SCGB AGM Minutes Competition

1. All entrants must be 13 or over. One entry per snowHead only. No use of Google or Gogol.

2. The admin's decision is final.

3. No employee, official or other person with inside knowledge may enter.

4, Anyone infringing rule 3 will be expelled at their own expense on the trans-Siberian railway (3rd class accommodation) to a Siberian ski resort of their choice for a once-in-a-lifetime experience: the exceptional ski conditions (snow of a dryness one can only normally dream of) to be enjoyed at -30C to -40C.

I see the minutes were published this afternoon........
snow report
Quote:

Would you like to win a copy of Ripley's Believe It Or Not?

No

Quote:

guess the publication date of the (believable/unbelievable) AGM minutes of the Ski Club of Great Britain.

Nobody cares (except you, apparently). This being the case, why don't you just keep the book for yourself and cease wittering?

Quote:

that the old concept of 'the club' (male-dominated affair, run by secretive committee, oblivious to the best interests of members, somewhat incapable of creative solutions) is dead in the snow

You think? The Garrick seems to be doing fine.
snow report
On the rocks wrote:
I see the minutes were published this afternoon........

On that basis, we have a clear winner. If Dav above provides an address (which can be given to admin or Marx), the book will be despatched in the middle of next week.

Karl Marx wrote:
guess the publication date of the (believable/unbelievable) AGM minutes of the Ski Club of Great Britain.

Lizzard wrote:
Nobody cares (except you, apparently). This being the case, why don't you just keep the book for yourself and cease wittering?

On that basis we have a loser. Several people cared enough to enter - it's on the record, above. [factual point]

Quote:
that the old concept of 'the club' (male-dominated affair, run by secretive committee, oblivious to the best interests of members, somewhat incapable of creative solutions) is dead in the snow

Lizzard wrote:
You think? The Garrick seems to be doing fine.

Oh yes, marvellous place [est. 1831, Marx was 13 y.o.]

Hold the crowds back ... as legions of British skiers (they'd better not be female) and other progressive fun people rush to join The Garrick ... for a bit of male bonding ...

Actress Joanna Lumley begins her biggest battle – joining the men-only Garrick Club
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/8657189/Actress-Joanna-Lumley-begins-her-biggest-battle-joining-the-men-only-Garrick-Club.html

Did Joanna Lumley win that battle? We appear to have heard nothing since 2011.
latest report
@Karl Marx/DG, you've on at least one occasion made a remark that left me concluding that you're a bit of a male chauvinist - can you show otherwise?
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
... you're a bit of a male chauvinist

[Daily Mail] chauvinist, colonialist, communist, cosmologist, chiropodist, creationist. Bit of a C-list.

You're quite the flatterer, aren't you Shimmy.
snow report
@Karl Marx, not to seem ungrateful, but can I request the book be donated to a charity shop local to you instead of mailing it out please?

Many thanks.
latest report
Yes indeed, Dav, that will be done. No mail order and no mail chauvinism on this occasion.
latest report
Very Happy
snow report
And so ... Pasted from the SCGB 'The Ski Club' thread ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/The-Ski-Club?discussionID=15033#.VMsnv9Ugiiw

Ski Club Team, 5 Jan wrote:
the minutes are due to be approved by the Council on 17 January, and will be posted online shortly after that.

The minutes were posted online on 29 Jan. The response yesterday from two SCGB members was immediate ...

"Spell check obviously wasn't on - "fall fowl" and a few others!!" [Olivia Gordon] "and my name wrong !" [Joseph McDonnell]

Marxist analysis concludes that:

1. The Council did not read the minutes before approving them.
2. The minutes were not checked before they were presented to the Council.

The minutes were published 10 weeks after the AGM took place. One purpose of minutes is to fully inform non-attendees with an accurate record of what took place, as soon as possible after the event. Or the Club can post a video record of the meeting online. Or the Club can live-webcast the event to members.

Question: what is the purpose of an elected committee 'approving' a factual record of a meeting [which is inaccurate and therefore not factual]? Better, surely, in this day and age, simply to file a video record of the meeting and a verbatim transcript for approval at the next AGM. This is something that BASI (British Association of Snowsport Instructors) has done. Online video recordings of general meetings are available to BASI members.

On the last occasions that Karl Marx (DG) attended SCGB AGMs, video recording was in progress. It is not known who has access to these recordings. Any SCGB member can obviously assert the right to view that material (since they have paid for it and retain co-ownership of it) and check the written record against it, should the need arise.

A good model of minute-taking is Hansard, the verbatim written record of parliamentary business ... to avoid 'believe it or not' situations ...

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/hansard/
ski holidays
Comparing the Saga Club's proceedings to those of parliament now? Laughing

What a massively over-inflated sense of self importance you do have. Get some perspective.
ski holidays
But of course. The Garrick, which seems to be your "perspective"/model [cue: 'air of desperation'], obviously has a far superior way of doing/fixing things. You have not addressed the 'exclusion of women' at the Garrick - a club which you say is "doing fine".

The SCGB's record of minuting AGMs in modern times includes one year when the minutes did not appear until 11.5 months after the meeting! On that score, progress is being made, but the "perspective" is live webcasting of AGMs, which is done by many associations/clubs/enterprises to engage their stakeholders in the democratic process. Why has live webcasting of SCGB AGMs been ruled out on cost grounds? Check out the cost and have a nice surprise.

The ruling classes play their games ... sinking the nation's ski club ... while the proletariat of skiing toil and suffer.
snow conditions
@Karl Marx, you should snowboard instead, we don't use ski proles...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Karl Marx, whoteva. None of which is actually any of your business, as you are NOT A MEMBER! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
@Karl Marx ... you are NOT A MEMBER!

Shouting in block capitals is no substitute for casting a valid legal opinion, based on contract law. David 'Karl Marx' Goldsmith has been a member of the Ski Club of Great Britain since 6 January, based on the wording of the 'membership confirmation', 'payment receipt' and 'payment reference' emailed to him on that day.

Quote:
In October 1835 Marx enrolled in Bonn University in Bonn, Germany, where he attended courses primarily in law

http://www.notablebiographies.com/Ma-Mo/Marx-Karl.html

With 180 years experience I do know what I'm talking about.
ski holidays
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ....... come back to us when they've actually taken your cash, confirmed your membership and let you in the door.
snow conditions
Karl Marx wrote:
Lizzard wrote:
@Karl Marx ... you are NOT A MEMBER!

Shouting in block capitals is no substitute for casting a valid legal opinion, based on contract law. David 'Karl Marx' Goldsmith has been a member of the Ski Club of Great Britain since 6 January, based on the wording of the 'membership confirmation', 'payment receipt' and 'payment reference' emailed to him on that day.

Quote:
In October 1835 Marx enrolled in Bonn University in Bonn, Germany, where he attended courses primarily in law

http://www.notablebiographies.com/Ma-Mo/Marx-Karl.html

With 180 years experience I do know what I'm talking about.

So thats about 100yrs of Alzheimer's and Dementia combined with the cluster A personality disorder no wonder we can't understand what you are saying Laughing
snow report
@Karl Marx, you're just sulking because nobody will show you a copy of the minutes
snow report
Any member of the SCGB is most welcome to post the 2014 AGM minutes to the public domain. The SCGB is the self-styled and self-defined "spokesbody of British skiers" and "voice of UK snowsports" so - as with the late Mary Whitehouse's (remember her?) 'National Viewers and Listeners Association' ... we all have an interest in what the national ski club is up to.

The SCGB (SCGB Limited) is now, supposedly, a highly commercial enterprise ... which essentially negates Lizzard's point completely. As a pukka company, it would obviously recognise a cast-iron contract of membership (its own offer and acceptance) and respect contract law on that basis. It can't opt not to fulfil the contract. What part of the SCGB's own phrase "membership confirmation" isn't clear?

speed098 is too insulting and ageist to deserve a response. 180 years of experience should afford a little more respect.
ski holidays
Quote:

Any member of the SCGB is most welcome to post the 2014 AGM minutes to the public domain.

...... because you're dying to read them but you can't because you're not a member? Laughing Laughing Laughing

You so need to get out more.
ski holidays
On the rocks wrote:
Karl Marx, you're just sulking because nobody will show you a copy of the minutes

Lizzard wrote:
...... because you're dying to read them but you can't because you're not a member? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mock at your own peril. The proletariat of British skiing should have access to these SCGB AGM minutes. The organisation claims to speak for all skiers.
Lizzard - why adopt this dreadful 'Garrick Club-inspired' snottiness towards the non-bourgeoisie?
snow conditions
@Lizzard,
I was tempted to copy and paste just item 7 on the minutes; but it would be too upsetting for DG wink
ski holidays
On the rocks wrote:
I was tempted to copy and paste just item 7 on the minutes; but it would be too upsetting for DG wink

There is an ambiguity here. Perhaps you could explain: is "item 7" upsetting in itself, or are you saying that it would be upsetting to be denied items 1 to 6?

A team of trained counsellors who have worked on the Jeremy Kyle Show are ready to deal with any emotional trauma.

Publish and be damned, my friend. These are the minutes of a general meeting of the "spokesbody of British skiers" and "voice of UK snowsports". It's time the organisation lived up to its claim, or closed down ... or best of all, converted its assets and resources to something useful for all British skiers (i.e. the ones it says it represents).
snow conditions
Quote:

The proletariat of British skiing should have access to these SCGB AGM minutes.

Why? The huge majority of us aren't members, don't want to be members, and aren't interested in what a bunch of elderly London-based ski-only types get up to.

Quote:

The organisation claims to speak for all skiers.

Well it clearly doesn't, and I'm afraid most of us really aren't utterly outraged by any of it. I suggest that the only thing members of 'the proletariat of British skiing' have in common is a desire for cheaper lift passes and more snow, neither of which the Saga Club can deliver anyway.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
... aren't interested in what a bunch of elderly London-based ski-only types get up to.

Which, of course, is not what this thread is about ... and why wild horses can't drag you away.

And now ... a word from the London elderly ...

Wild Horses

http://youtube.com/v/ZNaqBBjrIZw
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy