Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Smokin Joe, PML ... best "Gold" for years.

SKGB and their haters shown up as a bunch of ..... rolling eyes

Admin must be rocking .. !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agenterre, don't hate the SCGB . . . but it's quite laughable these days. An illusion of adequacy in a World that's busy forgetting about it and its history . . . which is sad but self-inflicted and well deserved for that.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque, You arent one of the 'haters' ... quite rational by the standards of this thread ... ( Did I really write that Masque? Shocked Shocked !!) . I really dont care but fun watching the self-implosion !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agenterre, arse licking gold. NehNeh
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Finally succeeded in registering to post in the SCGB forums - it wouldn't have anything to do with my old pre-MO day (still active) email address. Had to use one they've never seen before. Verification is a bit of a chore but we got there in the end.
Was it worth the effort .... time will tell.

Suspect however they've lost the active forum posting community for good. Witness Snivel, PGs now-defunct website, and a few attempted JWAZ replacements. Proof that it's not easy to build a community like this one - which seems to be almost self-moderating, useful and informative, frequently fun, and last but not least still growing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
--

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 11-01-13 0:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Comedy Goldsmith, didn't try - it shouldn't. I'll pop over and try ....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nope - correctly locked out of the 2 MO subfora.
Noticed that there are 3 subfora (fore ums?) with no activity at all in the last 30 days - Environment, Under 24s and Snowboarding. Tells you something about the few who do post. wink

Oh and it doesn't remember log-ins - got to do it the steam driven way every time.
And no PM function.
No smilies - in two minds about this one but I do use them sometimes Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
--

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 11-01-13 0:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
'Comedy' Goldsmith, 1st rule of comedy: be funny.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
--

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 11-01-13 0:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Comedy Goldsmith, what are you trying to achieve here ?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
--

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 11-01-13 0:40; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MPs response...........try again.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Surely if anyone can grow the membership of the posh ski club he can. Lets germinate this thread further by getting as many horticulture themes as possible over the next day or so....the darts is boring after all.....
snow report
I can't quite figure what's being attempted to achieve here . . . the club's forum is a hollow mess, It's holidays are are as inclusive as triage in an STD clinic, and it's discounts are no better and often poorer than just using Google?
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith, loads of people on here already know who PJSki is, so I wouldn't waste your energy trying to out him. Not, imho, the best advert for the Ski Club of Great Britain, but I guess that's his/their problem.

Masque, I agree. I used to be a member of the SCGB, got some good discounts, went on a couple of holidays (one OK, one absolutely ghastly, clique-y, snobbish, just dire) skied with a rep a couple of times and messed about on the forum for a few months, thereby getting introduced to snowHeads. Now I simply don't see the point of it. It's sad for David if he mourns its former glory, but I really don't understand why he persists, year in, year out, in flogging a dead horse. It's just obsessing for obsession's sake. A bit like Smokin Joe's trolling really - there's nothing to be achieved at all.
snow report
--

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 11-01-13 0:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
I can't quite figure what's being attempted to achieve here . . . the club's forum is a hollow mess, It's holidays are are as inclusive as triage in an STD clinic, and it's discounts are no better and often poorer than just using Google?

Not sure what the problem is with the holidays. The ones I've been on have been inclusive, with no cliques and no snobbishness. Funnily enough, the other week, someone was slagging off snowheads bashes to me, saying they were a bit cliquey.
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Smokin Joe wrote:
MPs response...........try again.

As you wish, but I could hardly be described as 'elected'! I'm pursuing a conventional journalistic agenda, simply trying to honour great commentators and influences such as Sir Arnold Lunn. British skiers have a very interesting historical role, and will continue to do so. You should dig out that article about the SCGB which Adam Ruck wrote in 1999, referred to yesterday [ Sunday Telegraph of 5 Dec 1999, it seems - maybe it's now been scanned to a digital archive.] I don't have that one on file, but remember its message very clearly. Another one, which I do have, was by the distinguished ski writer Doug Sager, published in Skiing UK magazine in its summer 1989 issue. It relates to the death of a 24-year-old skier from Aberdeen, Michael Mahaffy, in Verbier in 1989. The narrative of those articles is a direct trace to what we talk about in 2013.

It was the discussion of off-piste skiing with SCGB reps/leaders that seemed to result in MO Day in 2004, and this issue continues to be the elephant in the room (if the elephant isn't in the powder). The Ski Club of Great Britain was not founded to provide off-piste leading and, as snowHeads has proven, it's not a vital element in the package. The SCGB was founded to establish peer-to-peer communication and fellowship!

It's always fun when the loser rewrites history.
snow report
are you saying that all this obsession is about,... the scgb not being founded to provide off piste skiing and that they had a policy change circa 10 years ago ? is that correct ..... Puzzled
snow conditions
limegreen1, no, it's about Goldsmith getting his revenge.
latest report
for what ??
snow conditions
limegreen1 wrote:
for what ??

Please don't answer that. Anybody. Please.
latest report
please ...tis sunday afternoon and raining
latest report
limegreen1 wrote:
for what ??

He hates the Reps/Leaders because they wouldn't give into him when he was a council member. He sees them as a club within the club, complete with special privileges. He also hates the people who support the reps/leading service. He sees them as another privileged group. He hates the holidays because both these groups support them.

So you see, this is all about one man's obsession with revenge.
snow conditions
And they didnt give into him regard what ? ......
please dont say he suggested an open forum
latest report
He wanted to do away with their role and turn the scgb into an information exchange ruled by wanna be journalists like him.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
isnt that what we have here ????? of sorts.... an open information exchange
snow conditions
is that correct Mr Goldsmith ?
snow report
limegreen1 wrote:
isnt that what we have here ????? of sorts.... an open information exchange

With a skiing heart to it. The ski club has been sharing info for decades too of course. Oh yeah, almost forgot, goldsmith was being groomed to be the next mag editor, only for the council, made up of reps, to veto him. Imagine his hatred growing after that.
ski holidays
What a depressing thread Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad

Almost no-one who has posted in this comes out with much credit. The OP was a bit of really crass and brainless marketing - whoever it was should be hauled over the coals internally for providing further ammunition for those who hold the view that the SCGB is simultaneously arrogant, deluded and clueless. And to whichever admin surreptitiously edited that opening post - it's a bit childish to put that in-joke right in that OP.

Comedy Goldsmith continues his dog with a bone act nit-picking over the minutiae of the SCGB organisation. The "4% limit" is clearly an attempt to stop their forum being dominated by a few high posters. A forum does become very intimidating for new posters when it's clear that there are a few of them "ruling the roost". He was one of them over there in times past, as were a few others who also became similarly prolific over here. In my early days over here, there were times when I seriously considered quitting sHs because of a few posters who clearly saw it their duty to post their inane drivel in any thread that appeared, however irrelevant. Fortunately sHs has now become sufficiently large that that becomes a lesser irritant - there are just too many threads to keep spamming (and no, this is not a challenge to prove me wrong). The rule should clearly have been written with a rider that this limit did not apply until there a threshold number of posts per day had been passed - and even then that the moderators only reserved the right to delete/quarantine posts from those who could not contain themselves voluntarily. Even an absolute limit would reasonably be surpassed if a thread turned into a genuine "conversation" between a few posters, so a hard and fast limit (either relative or absolute) is ridiculous. You've made the point quite successfully that there is not much posting going on over there - and I'm now trying to make my mind up if your continual belabouring the point is vindictive or merely boring.

And Goldsmith is the proverbial red rag to PJ Ski's bull. OK, so PJ is never going to be a soft, cuddly pussycat, but Goldsmith does always seem to bring out the worst in him. No doubt it's water off a duck's back, but catfights always make both parties look a bit pathetic.

Smokin Joe, winding up Goldsmith can be an amusing sport, but in a couple of posts you're verging on playing the class warrior which is all a bit last century dahhhling. If you so wished, you would be made very welcome on many of the SCGB groups I have been on, and no-one would mind in the slightest that you are a northern oik (only joking, Paul Wink ). If it's true that the SCGB is a bit on the posh side that's largely due to history and the fact that the club membership is a bit long in the tooth, and that skiing is not the cheapest pasttime in the world. On one I want on we had an Air Commodore (retd) and Brigadier (or maybe Colonel) (retd) - I'm afraid the Snr Service was only represented by a Lt-Cdr; a Clan Chieftain; a couple of ex-city types; the mandatory GP (only one this trip), and then a few of us in "trade". It was a scream from beginning to end - and there was some pretty decent skiing too. But then I've also skied with chippies, electricians, jobbing cooks/chefs, gardeners, farmers (some prosperous and some struggling), travel agents etc.. So there are problems (particularly with demographics) that the SCGB do need to work out how to fix themselves, but playing the class card is not really the main point.

betterinblack, agw: the point of the grading system is to ensure that the trips they organise have compatible skiing groups. sH bashes are very different things to Ski Freshtracks trips. A group of 100 may take a bit of time to sort itself out, but you'll normally be able to find compatible people to ski with. But there're only a few of them in a year, and if the dates don't fit then you're stuffed. The SCGB put on about 140 trips in a season - so there's something at most standards most weeks. But these will only be typically 10-20 in size. When you're only a dozen on a trip (i.e. 2 groups) it's important you're all of a similar minimum standard (or at least understand what you can expect if you're above that standard). Otherwise you end up having to ski at a level (that of the weakest in the group) that is not what you expected when you paid your £1k+ for a particular holiday. Hence the grading is important. It does seem there's been a bit of a horlicks in changing how the grading is communicated though - I see what they are trying to achieve, but it could have been done in a much clearer way.

If there's one criticism of the SCGB I'd agree with whole-heartedly (and it goes back to the start of this thread) is that they seem completely incapable of just telling a simple message straight, to the point and with no extra gilding - but maybe it's just a sign of our spin-ridden times.
ski holidays
ok, ... so he had the foresight to open a hugely successful forum and called it snowheads and watched his vision snowball . Whats the problem with that ?
snow report
hang on ....its stopped raining. come boy...
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
The Ski Club of Great Britain was not founded to provide off-piste leading...

Maybe so, but it's pretty much the sole reason I'm a member (and I'd guess that's also true for a substantial proportion of the membership).

I'm afraid that, unless they can find some new angle - or sHs implodes in some massive internecine conflagration - the SCGB has "jumped the shark" when it comes to internet discussions. It may have some use for inter-member communications (if they ever get PMs to work), but they are a long way from having the critical mass for a general information exchange forum - and an alternative already exists (here).
ski holidays
--

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 11-01-13 0:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Toffs? You really are laughable. This your new angle? The club don't give a shite about anyone's class. Read what Graham wrote? Thought not.
ski holidays
GrahamN wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
The Ski Club of Great Britain was not founded to provide off-piste leading...

Maybe so, but it's pretty much the sole reason I'm a member (and I'd guess that's also true for a substantial proportion of the membership).

I'm not a current member but I have in the past and likely will again in the future, buy a year's membership for just that facility, when it happens that I'm skiing a resort represented by SCUK. At the end of the last week I skied with a SCUK rep, I was told that I'd best enjoy either their purple or silver off piste holidays and as their weeks don't sound bad value at all, I might well consider one in the future too. So it would seem that their reps are in effect, also helping to sell their holidays.
ski holidays
PJSki,
Quote:
The club don't give a shite about anyone's class
The Club may not but I've met about 13 utter twots members that certainly did and 'a club IS its members' . . . story will be along later Twisted Evil
ski holidays
moffatross, exactly. Why join a sporting club just to talk about it? But we know goldsmith's motivation, he just wants to make money out of a cash cow.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 6-01-13 20:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy