Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Happy New Year, David. I'll miss your posts! x
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
msej449 wrote:
I have no axe to grind here but having come across SCGB reps a few times, and been the subject of their sales pitch, here any my observations/questions:

Are all SCGB Resort Reps male, failed, ex-public-school types?
Do they all have a glamorous but intellectually challenged blonde in tow?
Is the sales pitch still the same as we got 5-6 years ago?

I really couldn't see the cost/benefit case then for membership: Now, almost all major ski domains have excellent, almost-real-time, accurate lift and piste pages; there are plenty of good, free, overview Resort Guides available through newpaper and forum sites; National weather agencies are the best source for real-time weather information (and are the original source for a lot of web sites anyway); there are loads of sites giving discounts for pre-booking equipment, as well as the shops themselves; and Reps can't do orientation guiding in France anymore. So what do I get for my money?

Q1 - no - I have never met any such. Many are married. Many are women. Many have good jobs or are self employed.
Q2. No - though one did chat up a female doctor on a holiday I was on. (Dark haired I think)
Q3. no idea what it was then / now as I joined for the Freshtracks holidays but have also enjoyed skiing with resort leaders.

Q4 you get zero for your money if you pay zero.

By the way- they have been called Leaders rather than Reps for several years ( and no, I don't agree with that).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Exactly! Where have you been since the re-brand?

http://youtube.com/v/I3fF91jGdPM
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
@George Jones, his points may be valid but he is so poisonous they don't want to listen. As to the SCGBs future...who knows. Their Facebook page is reasonably lively...

Is he poisonous?

I think he is just a member of the awkward squad.

I agree the scgb do not want to listen, but transparency is often a better policy than suppression.

As the Texan skier Lyndon Baines Johnson once said :-

" I would rather have Comedy Goldsmith inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in"

Mr. Goldsmith will not go away, the club must know that by now.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And the video surfaces again... it does still make me laugh though.

Scrumpy wrote:
Q4 you get zero for your money if you pay zero.

I'm not taking sides here, nor judging for it, but the fact that you've used snowHeads for free for over 10 years sort of disproves that point Confused
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sorry @admin, , you set it up as a free service - I won't be paying to try to counter DG's rubbish - 38.8 posts p.a. is hardly part of my lifestyle.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scrumpy, like admin, not taking sides, but contribution as in (posts) is only part of the equation. Playing devils advocate are you saying you have only been online and looked at this forum circa 38.8 times per year?

Not a fan of DG posting style.
Not a member nor never have been of the tea club.
Not a basi member or instructor.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scrumpy, Take a step back, @admin, was only pulling your chain Toofy Grin

You'll never be pressured in to putting your hand in your pocket. It's purely voluntary.
Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@George Jones, he can get very nasty while pretending to be just the messenger
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
George Jones wrote:

As the Texan skier Lyndon Baines Johnson once said :-

" I would rather have Tragedy Goldsmith inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in"

Mr. Goldsmith will not go away, the club must know that by now.

Unfortunately the tent got about knee deep in the stuff, which is rather uncivilised behaviour by any standards, and MrG was thrown out.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ansta1, Thanks, you reminded me to have a look around ! Really I don't have the time on a regular basis.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FACTUAL INFORMATION

blahblahblah wrote:
Half price membership this week, only until 11th.

That is correct. The following SCGB offer went out by email to a large number of skiers on the SCGB database today.

Quote:
DISCOVER A WORLD OF SNOW FOR 50% LESS

Join the Ski Club and save a massive 50% on your membership fee.
But get your skates (or skis) on - the offer ends at midnight on Sunday 11 January!

The email had a link to this 'news story' dated 6 December 2015 ...

Quote:
Discover a world of snow with 50% off Ski Club membership!

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?intStoryID=9304#.VKxUMclCjQo

---------------------------------

One recipient of the offer above (at 10.53 this morning) was David Goldsmith, at his permanent BT email address. Goldsmith was expelled by the Ski Club of Great Britain on 30 September 2013. His former membership (which originally commenced in 1962) was tied to the same BT email address for over 15 years.

At approximately 17.00, Mr Goldsmith applied for membership of the SCGB at the half-price individual rate of £31.50. The details he supplied were identical to those he has always given to the Club: same name, address, email address, bank information etc.

At 17.16 Goldsmith received an email from the SCGB, as follows:

Quote:
Dear David,

Thank you for joining the Ski Club of Great Britain.
Your payment receipt
Name David Goldsmith
Membership number Your membership number will be emailed to you on the next working day
Payment for Ski Club Membership: Individual
Payment ref XXX-XXXXXXXX
Amount £31.50
Date 06 January 2015
Direct Debit The Ski Club membership team will email you with confirmation of your Direct Debit within 3 working days

Logging in to skiclub.co.uk
Once you've received your membership number, you'll be able to log in using your membership number or email address and your password.

Your Ski Club membership card and membership pack will be sent separately in the next couple of weeks.

We hope you get much enjoyment from your Ski Club membership and please don't hesitate to contact us if we can be of any help. If you experience any difficulties logging on, please either email members@skiclub.co.uk or call 020 8410 2015 (Mon-Fri 9am-5.30pm).

With best wishes,

The Membership Department

Membership Department
Ski Club of Great Britain
The White House, 57-63 Church Road
Wimbledon, London SW19 5SB

Tel: 020 8410 2015
Fax: 020 8410 2001

[end of factual statement]

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 7-01-15 1:09; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
^ "Comedy" Goldsmith indeed.

The thread that keeps on giving.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So you are back on the inside David, and with a new snowheads sock, welcome!!!!!

How long, before pjski or someone else fess's you up to the massive and you "get a refund"?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And as with other things, i think you will find that acceptance of payment and confirmation is likely to be precluded on further verification. So if they still wish to keep you from the insider list David, then they will without recourse.
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
How long, before pjski or someone else fess's you up to the massive and you "get a refund"?

You should be advised that when David Goldsmith's 2012-3 membership was terminated on 30.9.13 he received no further membership benefits for that membership year. There was no refund of the unexpired proportion of his annual subscription.

ansta1 wrote:
And as with other things, i think you will find that acceptance of payment and confirmation is likely to be precluded on further verification. So if they still wish to keep you from the insider list David, then they will without recourse.

Is your information based on contract law? Mr Goldsmith understands that there has been a binding acceptance of his membership application, based on his acceptance of all the SCGB's terms and conditions. He is confirmed as a member of the Ski Club of Great Britain, as clearly stated above.
snow conditions
Well clearly you don't understand contract law fully David.
snow report
And don't you have stuff to do before the 6th of May 2015. I have it marked in my diary and will be checking back on the various online portals you frequent!!!!!
ski holidays
@SCGB insider, Priceless Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mind you I haven't been a member for about 9yrs but I still get The Edge.
latest report
ansta1 wrote:
And don't you have stuff to do before the 6th of May 2015.

Certainly, David Goldsmith is preparing an appropriate commemoration of the 112th anniversary of the Ski Club of Great Britain, as one would expect. This is just a part of his exceptional workload.
snow report
SCGB insider wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
And don't you have stuff to do before the 6th of May 2015.

Certainly, David Goldsmith is preparing an appropriate commemoration of the 112th anniversary of the Ski Club of Great Britain, as one would expect. This is just a part of his exceptional workload.

Well get to it then!
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
Well clearly you don't understand contract law

David Goldsmith has a legally-binding contract of membership of the Ski Club of Great Britain. There is no point in your adopting this bluster - the law could not be clearer.
The unsolicited offer of SCGB membership was made to DG personally, setting out all terms and conditions. DG accepted them all and guaranteed the subscription payment. The membership was then confirmed, as above.
Here is the relevant law of 'offer and acceptance', which could not be clearer:

Formation of contracts
http://www.out-law.com/page-396
latest report
admin wrote:
And the video surfaces again... it does still make me laugh though.

Me too - so, so funny.

A Tea Club leader once bought me a drink. On expenses? Still didn't join, though.
snow report
SCGB insider wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
Well clearly you don't understand contract law

David Goldsmith has a legally-binding contract of membership of the Ski Club of Great Britain. There is no point in your adopting this bluster - the law could not be clearer.
The unsolicited offer of SCGB membership was made to DG personally, setting out all terms and conditions. DG accepted them all and guaranteed the subscription payment. The membership was then confirmed, as above.
Here is the relevant law of 'offer and acceptance', which could not be clearer:

Formation of contracts
http://www.out-law.com/page-396

Spoken like a true CG...................... err, I mean like someone else Embarassed

Sorry. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
/me re-roffles @ that vid.

31 quid is nearly the right price.

could get quite a few bombardinos and glühweins for that though.
snow conditions
@SCGB insider, Perhaps the SCGB has adopted a New Year resolution to let past disputes be forgotten, hence their conciliatory invitation for David Goldsmith to rejoin the club? Toofy Grin

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 7-01-15 1:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Alastair Pink, wait until that nice, polite guy, Mr Aitken hears about it! Laughing
snow report
maggi wrote:
@Alastair Pink, wait until that nice, polite guy, Mr Aitken hears about it! Laughing

I presumed the magnanimous gesture to invite DG back into membership must have originated from Mr Aitken himself.... wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You will have your membership cancelled shortly DG.

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/join/membershipterms.aspx#.VKy1O2r_TbM
snow conditions
@ansta1, I note that item 2.6 of the linked T's and C's states that members may terminate their membership in writing or by phoning (in which case no refund is granted). No details of the procedure for the club terminating membership are provided (although Section 1 states that acceptance of membership is at the club's absolute discretion wink ). I trust that if the SCGB does terminate DG's membership that he will receive a full refund? (the club's failure to refund the unexpired portion of his previous membership when they previously expelled him does not reflect well on them IMHO)
ski holidays
He's joined the ski club again? Puzzled WTF would he do that for?

I hope he doesn't stalk his ex-girlfriends like this or he's going to get locked up. Laughing
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
(although Section 1 states that acceptance of membership is at the club's absolute discretion wink ).

It depends whether the email from the ski club was an invitation to tender (I refer to the Boots court of appeal case in 1953), in which case DG is only a full member once his bank account is debited or is it an offer, in which case the acceptance of his card is a binding contract.

Looks like the tea club is getting into a legal pickle again. They should get lawyered up!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 7-01-15 10:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Priceless.
@SCGB insider, I shall expect however that the savings you've made to be equitably distributed, preferably by donation into the rapidly diminishing snowheads popcorn fund...
ski holidays
If he has already been permanently barred from membership then i would guess he is in contravention of the club's terms and conditions which i would suggest will make any contractual obligation non-binding.
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
If he has already been permanently barred from membership then i would guess he is in contravention of the club's terms and conditions which i would suggest will make any contractual obligation non-binding.

He could assume that if they made an offer or invitation then that was made in good faith.

It is not DG's fault the tea club are a bunch of incompetent asshats if what you say is the case.
snow report
I like this in the T&C

Quote:
we retain the right to bring proceedings against you for breach of these conditions in your country of residence or any other relevant country.

comical, they threaten you before you even join them
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, Laughing
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
You will have your membership cancelled shortly DG.

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/join/membershipterms.aspx#.VKy1O2r_TbM

Your message was logged at 04:28. Dead-of-night clairvoyance is not normal, but thank you for your trouble.
Alternatively, in the unlikely event that you are relaying the decision of an emergency SCGB board meeting, then your prediction (an incorrect one) will be accepted in good faith.

Please accept that a contract exists and that the Ski Club of GB only has two options to cancel Mr Goldsmith's membership (and why they should wish to do that, having invited him to rejoin, is perhaps something only known to you):

1. An invalid one.
2. An invalid one.
snow report
Assumption is the mother of all cock ups, I don't know the wording around DG's original exclusion, it may well have had the word 'permanent' or 'don't cross this threshold again you twit'. I'm certainly not going defend either party because both are clearly tired and very last century.

As for vetting I think it would also be not as straight forward to vet any prospective members as what are they going to do decline anyone with the name 'David Goldsmith' who applies. Sure you could add further checking such as address, DOB as whilst it's very unlikely that someone with those same details would apply for member who isn't the real DG, but it's not impossible.

As a further point and I don't know the answer because I haven't read the AoA or the full T's and C's of the membership, but they could concievably have a clause in there that allows them to take an 'administration fee' for just processing his membership, even if he is ultimately kicked out again.
ski holidays
@thegnomewithnoname, Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy