Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Welcome back DG, HNY. Thought you were off for the winter enjoying yourself! I have been really busy 'SKIING' with loads of real people including 'some snowhead members'. But now most are returning home. Some left last night. Other just now which is why I am up so early I hope to have some time to waste again while we wait for more snow! Eating my popcorn already!! Very Happy

By the way. Does anyone have any news from the courts about the SCGB legal case in France. I read one SCGB Leader is already claiming that they won the case so the French appealed. Is that true? or just wishful thinking! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does 'Tinwhistle' also have a hobby of playing the Penny Whistle like GA?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowcrazy wrote:
Welcome back DG, HNY. Thought you were off for the winter enjoying yourself!

A wild assumption. Those who think they are in the know insist that I "never ski".

Admittedly, the plan to which you refer was an Old Year Resolution that went pear-shaped. It's impossible to shake off this damned SCGB affair until there is a ... err ... resolution.

One thing that needs to happen is for Gerry Aitken to give a pretty fulsome explanation and apology for his conduct since becoming 'New Rep of the Year' etc. He's still not explained his "expenses" comment, the compelling evidence concerning his 'PJSki' I.D., his various other strongly-suspected forum trolling activities, whether he was for or against the 2004 'MO Day' in closing the SCGB forum to non-members ... and what happened to his 2006 promise to make the SCGB the best source of ski news on the UK web, etc. etc. ... the list goes on and on.

I recall Gerry saying he'd spent 3 weeks in Whistler and recruited 3 new SCGB members there. In the old days - probably 1960s/early 1970s Zermatt's SCGB reps recruited c.100 new members per season (i.e. about one per day). That's recorded in Rob Tillard's intriguing privately-published book. What does he see the modern-day function of the SCGB rep to be ... now that they don't seem to do any sensible snow reporting (which isn't censored at HQ) and they don't do any ski proficiency testing for the bronze/silver/gold medals. Surely it's pretty much all over for SCGB repping, with the French situation, endless liability problems etc.

Then there's the SCGB 'new media' position. Gerry was chairman (maybe still is) of the SCGB New Media Working Group. What has it achieved? This department was said to have a £100,000 annual budget for improvements to skiclub.co.uk. What is there to show for this?

Blah, blah, blah

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 3-01-15 12:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Much as I think DG s fogging a dead horse simply because he is DG, he has asked a number of very Valid questions, it's just a pity that because he has asked them they will probably be ignored, sorry DG but I'm afraid that's just how things are.

I'm pretty convinced that the SCGB no longer really functions as a club and that Fresh Tracks is far more important to its directors than how it deals with its members
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf wrote:
..I'm pretty convinced that the SCGB no longer really functions as a club and that Fresh Tracks is far more important to its directors than how it deals with its members

Interesting view. Isn't it really up to members to decide what the SCGB means to them? Do they (30,000+) really give a monkeys about any of this?

Of course, a fairly similar issue, but of far less importance it seems, is currently not being discussed by our lovely major media oulets ... Laughing

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f93_1390833151
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ALQ wrote:
Of course, a fairly similar issue, but of far less importance it seems, is currently not being discussed by our lovely major media oulets ... Laughing

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f93_1390833151

What's that got to do with this topic? I know threads drift with the natural flow of conversation - but that seems odd.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Do they (30,000+) really give a monkeys about any of this?

Doubt it - most of them probably joined thinking they'd use the discounts on offer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@achilles, For a split second I drew a parallel between CG and Snowden (whistle-blowing and all that) and if anybody really gives a monkeys in the greater scheme of things. I'm afraid CG is battling a lost cause of little consequence to those it impacts. In a non-judgmental way, I suppose I was suggesting he could use his time and journalistic/investigative skills for more important things, instead of 'flogging a dead horse'.

@Lizzard, +1 (so perhaps management reacts accordingly, as D G Orf pointed out).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ALQ, fair enough.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@achilles, thinking back, I agree...it was a bit 'odd' Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Comedy Goldsmith, so you really think that you are not extreme, fanatical, overzealous, maniacal, fervent, diehard or uncompromising ? (especially overzealous and uncompromising)

Another example of your previously diagnosed narcissistic tendencies.

And I seem to remember that a few days ago you were "withdrawing" for a few months - no such luck for us.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf wrote:

I'm pretty convinced that the SCGB no longer really functions as a club and that Fresh Tracks is far more important to its members than how it deals with CG

FIFY
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scrumpy wrote:
@Comedy Goldsmith, so you really think that you are not extreme, fanatical, overzealous, maniacal, fervent, diehard or uncompromising ? (especially overzealous and uncompromising)

Another example of your previously diagnosed narcissistic tendencies.

You say the sweetest things.

Who provided this 'previous diagnosis'? Dr Hackenbush the horse doctor?

http://youtube.com/v/_JgHHigAAyg
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Comedy Goldsmith,
Don't forget the festive sanity clause Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh no, there ain't no Sanity Clause...

http://youtube.com/v/7hbtezeJ1cE
latest report
@admin,

Shhhhhh, don't let the kids hear
snow conditions

"The Ski Club’s snow reports are the best online"

That claim opens the Ski Club of Great Britain's snow report pages:
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/snowconditions.aspx?country=Scotland#.VKkYDslCjQo

Tell it to the skiers of Scotland.

For the past few winters I've been spot-checking - on the Winterhighland forum - the SCGB's performance in giving timely info on conditions at the five mechanised Scottish ski areas (shortly to become six).

The main focus is the weekend, because this is when most people are off work and skiing.

Pasted right is the SCGB report for yesterday, Saturday 3 Jan. It's completely inaccurate - reporting 4 (out of 5) whole ski mountains closed when 4 out of 5 are open - and typical of similar reports in recent winters. The same incorrect information is running today Sunday 4 Jan.
The posting (right) is taken from http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,148384,page=24

It seems that the SCGB snow reporters shut up shop at 13.00 on a Friday and don't reopen until 13.00 on Monday. This means that anything that may be correct on a Friday morning is repeated as fact on Saturday morning, Sunday morning and Monday morning (with no indication of when the info was correct and current).

For the benefit of skiers who are interested in skiing Scotland this winter - and knowing that mountains are open rather than "closed" - the best reporting is on:

http://www.winterhighland.info/

http://ski.visitscotland.com/
snow conditions
Seriously old boy, I fail to see the problem. After all, who would want to ski there? There's not even a Club Ambassador to arrange drinkies.
ski holidays
...and then there's the language difficulties
snow report
@Super Chap Great Bloke, you're either a toff, a spoof toff, a wannabe toff or a closet toff.

I'm going to respond on a semi-serious basis:

Having spent a great deal of time on Scottish mountains - perhaps a quarter to a third of my overall skiing days over the past 55 years - I find that they yield an intense and thrilling ski experience, in stunningly different scenery and often wild unpredictable conditions. The people who run Scottish skiing are passionate about the experience and sharing it to all skiers.

The Ski Club of Great Britain was once rooted in the Scottish Highlands, in the sense that these were the accessible mountains for British skiers before international air travel, or cheaper charter flights, became a norm - i.e. the first half of the 20th century. Check early editions of the British Ski Year Book (publisher: SCGB) for the evidence.

The fact that SCGB toffs actually do consider Scottish skiing to be a 2nd-class experience, or an opportunity best ignored, is greatly detrimental to British skiing. The cohesiveness of British society is not assisted by such prejudice.

Is it any wonder that there is a Scottish independence movement, when southern toffs adopt their high-minded attitudes to such things as Scottish skiing (a fantastic experience on a good day)?
ski holidays
Quote:

The cohesiveness of British society is not assisted by such prejudice.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Oh do shut up. The drive for independence in Scotland is not about us getting snotty with London-based skiers not appreciating our mountains. It would be surprising if they did, given that it's cheaper and easier for them to go to the Alps.
ski holidays
Quote:

London-based skiers not appreciating our mountains. It would be surprising if they did, given that it's cheaper and easier for them to go to the Alps.

And therein lies the point. The Ski Club of 'Great Britain' it is not and probably hasntbeen for 50 yrs. It is the ski club of alpine aspirants centred on London. It has no interest in the UK skiing scene.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:

Oh do shut up. The drive for independence in Scotland is not about us getting snotty with London-based skiers not appreciating our mountains. It would be surprising if they did, given that it's cheaper and easier for them to go to the Alps.

Peter S wrote:

And therein lies the point. The Ski Club of 'Great Britain' it is not and probably hasntbeen for 50 yrs. It is the ski club of alpine aspirants centred on London. It has no interest in the UK skiing scene.

Peter S nails it perfectly.

The ten directors of the SCGB (all of whom, as I understand it, have benefited from expenses-paid ski assigments as SCGB reps) will this winter spend an estimated £100,000 (my estimate only, based on previous overall annual expenditure exceeding £200,000) ...
... on sending several dozen SCGB 'Ambassadors' to French ski resorts, to do virtually nothing at all. Their ski 'leading' activities have been banned by the French authorities. They will presumably be free to ski all day long, on expenses.

The SCGB will continue to be unrepresented this winter on the Scottish mountains (which constitute part of Great Britain), or the northern English ski mountains ...

... and the board of the Ski Club of Great Britain will continue to be devoid of any representation from skiers who ski on British mountains.

[sorry that this was more wordy than Peter S's perfect assessment]

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 4-01-15 17:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Comedy Goldsmith, I cannot believe that they still claim their snow reports to be the 'Best Online'. I know for a fact that they change what you send them and always seem to up the snow quality or conditions to keep the Tourist Offices happy.

If you compare what I write in the Les Arcs snow report thread on snowheads or my facebook page most days with what the SCGB sometimes writes. You would think we are talking about a different place. I am interested to see if the SCGB will be more honest this season. It really annoys me when SCGB or any other Tour Operator misleads it's client's about the conditions. I always try and say it the way it is. Good or Bad! But then I am able to do this as I share my posts for FREE! Not like the SCGB! Someone told me they get commision for sharing their reports. Does anyone now if that is still true?
snow report
@snowcrazy, A few years ago in Val Thorens the snow report said the snow depth was 50+cm. We managed to find the place where they must have measured it.
snow conditions
snowcrazy wrote:
Someone told me they get commision for sharing their reports. Does anyone now if that is still true?
I remember being gob-smacked when someone at a major tour-op told me that their use of the Tea Club's snow reports was 'worth £6k per year' but they were really chuffed that they weren't paying anything like the full amount as they were pimping the club in their promo materials.
If your business model relies upon selling your snow reports to people whose business it is to sell holidays (aside from being a tour-op yourself), your objectivity may well come under pressure. It's no wonder the Scambassadors start to look like graduate interns in the PR dept.
snow conditions
SCGB SNOW REPORTS - the very latest
"The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes" [10 times out of 23 reports]
"A dusting of snow has improved the pistes" [4 times out of 23 reports]
"Great skiing thanks to the recent snowfalls" [4 times out of 23 reports]

Given the points above, perhaps this is a good evening to collate all SCGB Leaders'/Ambassadors' (reps') snow reports (the ones visible to non-members) for today Sunday 4 January at 17.00 hrs ... there are 23 SCGB reps currently stationed in the following resorts ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/snowconditions.aspx

AUSTRIA
Ischgl [SCGB rep Jim Costelloe]: "Great skiing thanks to the recent snowfalls"
Kitzbuhel [SCGB rep Adam Copeland]: "Hard base, light dusting of fresh snow"
Obergurgl [SCGB rep Alastair Ross]: "Very good piste conditions, best at top"
Zell am See [SCGB rep Nikki Smout]: "The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes"

CANADA
Whistler [SCGB rep Mike Kirk]: "A dusting of snow has improved the pistes"

FRANCE
Alpe d'Huez [SCGB rep John Jameson]: "The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes"
Argentiere [SCGB rep John Shurmer]: "Today's fresh powder means fresh tracks!"
Avoriaz [SCGB rep Andrew Poodle]: "The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes"
Courchevel [SCGB rep Trevor Hughes]: "The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes"
Flaine [SCGB rep Andy Lapham]: "The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes"
La Plagne [SCGB rep Tony Whiting]: "The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes"
Les Arcs [SCGB rep David Evans]: "The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes"
Meribel [SCGB rep Martin Jordan]: "The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes"
Tignes [SCGB rep Jeff Marksz]: "Improving conditions thanks to the new snow"
Val d'Isere [SCGB rep Andy Witterick]: "A dusting of snow has improved the pistes"
Val Thorens [SCGB rep John Cahill]: "A dusting of snow has improved the pistes"

ITALY
Cervinia [SCGB rep Chris Stewart]: "Great skiing thanks to the recent snowfalls"

SWITZERLAND
Davos [SCGB rep Derek Buller]: "The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes"
Klosters [SCGB rep Malcolm Luthman]: "The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes"
Saas Fee [SCGB rep Nevil Hewitt]: "Improving conditions thanks to the new snow"
Verbier [SCGB rep Brian Horn]: "A dusting of snow has improved the pistes"
Wengen [SCGB rep Maurenn Fanshawe]: Great skiing thanks to the recent snowfalls
Zermatt [SCGB rep Edward Taylor]: "Great skiing thanks to the recent snowfalls"

OVERALL SUMMARY: 10 of the above 23 reports read "The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes".

It's been recently suggested (see earlier postings on this thread) that the reps' snow reports are censored if they do not paint a positive picture of the snow conditions. As a non (expelled) member of the SCGB I'm unable to see the reps' full reports.
What's surprising here is to see the classic SCGB "The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes" not so much a product of censorship as 'cloning to an identical formula'. Is this useful information?

A SCGB MEMBER WRITES TONIGHT ... on a freelance basis ... this alternative report for Zermatt. It's by Philip Boswell:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Snow-Conditions?discussionID=14982#.VKmcdclCjQo

Philip Boswell doesn't seem to quite agree with the SCGB rep's one-line report (above): "Great skiing thanks to the recent snowfalls"

What should we conclude?
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

What should we conclude?

Maybe Gerry Aitken is right and you can't do/get this information for free? Snowheads used to do a snow report by email and this was seen as a key service by admin but appears to have been dropped. I guess if he'd had some TOs paying him 6K a season each he would have continued the service but it would be a full time job for someone to collate all the information coming in; which was Gerry's point. Yes I know you can find reports if you look in the threads but it is unstructured and sometimes posted under snow reports, sometimes under resort information, sometimes in trip reports etc. There isn't a way to get a quick, generic overview of conditions in a number of resorts.

I checked what j2ski have to say, mostly it is this:

hard lower, packed upper

Anyone know where j2ski get's its information from?

This is the current generic Ski Club French report

Quote:
The heavy snowfall that landed just after Christmas transformed the skiing conditions across France, but the weather has since settled down and the temperature has increased. There are still patches of powder snow to be found off piste for those that want fresh snow skiing. Off piste the recent snow fell predominantly on ground that did not have an established snow base so there are hidden rocks that can catch you out, so take care.

On piste in France the skiing is very good at the moment although the mild conditions of recent days means that there can be hard packed snow lower down, so the best conditions once again can be found on the upper slopes.

Nothing particuarly wrong with that assessment. I mean snow on bare slopes does transform skiing conditions doesn't it? Happy For me it paints a too positive picture of current conditions which are rocky on piste in a lot of places on lower slopes. I mean ski wrecking rocky in some areas. On Saturday conditions were postively icy to the point of being dangerous. The rescue helicopter was running back to back missions locally due to all the hard falls so for me the ski club report, apart from being a bit out of date already, should highlight these points. Maybe other people would see things differently though? For me, where I am currently based, the season so far has been one of the worst I remember, maybe up with 90/91 for direness.

I agree that writing "ski conditions are dreadful, stay in bed" is not really acceptable. It is the job of the Scambassador to seek out what skiing there is in resort. Of course snowheads has many eyes and one report like that in a big resort would soon get commented on with corrections if necessary. It is maybe the fact that the Scambassador information is seen as commercial that yet again makes the ski club seem more like a business than a club. French ski clubs post trip reports and conditions on their websites they don't try and flog a sanitized version to the highest bidder.

What to make of the lack of posting of snow reports by ski club members? I dunno, maybe they are too old to use the Internet or even ski? It is very odd I find.

Talking of which, what about this thread?

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-And-Snowboarding-general?discussionID=15013#.VKpdBlGVu00

Quote:

William Smith
Posted: 31 Dec 2014 18:41

This year was the first time I thought about whether to renew my membership or not.

But I am not going for the 'stand by the club in its darkest hour' approach - I did that with my paying internet bridge club even though my friends were begging me to switch. When I eventually did switch to the free bridge club it was because I realised my old one wasn't going to change and i was going to continually get a poor service, so more fool me for staying.

I can see a parallel with our ski club where the new other option is the 'Meetup.com' internet clubs for skiing (or anything else) which have no legal problems, go to any resorts they feel like and are both popular (over 300 members in my town) and free. I'm going with one to Grindelwald in January - a month when there is no Ski Club Leader organized there by the way. This sounds similar to Helen O'Brien's Tignes 10 o'clock club mentioned above and I agree is not as good as having an experienced leader in charge.

However if our club is not aware of this kind of Meetup challenge then it should be, whether it has the innovation or risk acceptance to make an effective response is another issue. I feel a club like ours has a responsibility to adapt to changing circumstances and a duty to its members to remain attractive. It's not very encouraging to read in the annual report that the membership declined again this year and the treasurer stating that a factor is the age profile of our members – and there is nothing we can do when our members no longer go skiing!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:

Maybe Gerry Aitken is right and you can't do/get this information for free? Snowheads used to do a snow report by email and this was seen as a key service by admin but appears to have been dropped. I guess if he'd had some TOs paying him 6K a season each he would have continued the service but it would be a full time job for someone to collate all the information coming in; which was Gerry's point.

How much structure and collating is needed? Is the snowHeads email important? Anyone wanting snow reports knows where to find them. Yes, summaries/round-ups are nice for time-poor people, but are they that important?

The simple structure of snowHeads' snow reports section enables anyone to file a snow report anytime from anywhere, and open a new section of the forum as necessary. For Scotland, the Winterhighland forum operates a similar structure for a smaller number of ski areas.

What Gerry Aitken actually said is this ... [the full discussion is here: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/The-Ski-Club?discussionID=15025#.VKpjFclCjQo ] ...

29 December [in response to complaints about SCGB snow reporting from fellow SCGB members]:
Gerry Aitken wrote:
Yeah, the answer could be to get rid of the staff and get all this work done by unpaid members. Any volunteers? No, thought not!

That brought this response from SCGB member John Bourne:
John Bourne wrote:
Gerry Aitken. I don't think that your answer, as a Council Member of our Club, is satisfactory. Please read the above posts again; Members are asking for accurate, current information about skiing conditions in resort. The Club should have a system in place to get that information to Members, such a system might be a variation of the present one. To retain/attract members and attract/retain sponsors we should be giving them the service that they are requesting.

To which Aitken replied:
Gerry Aitken wrote:
Yeah, well, that's my opinion on the subject, as in, it's what I actually think, rather than some bland, neutral statement that says nothing at all or failing that, absolute silence. If the Leaders posted directly, some would make a pig's ear of it and cause problems.

I've no idea of the operational cost of snowHeads, davidof, but I don't think this has anything to do with Gerry Aitken "maybe being right". What he's actually advocating (after 6 years as a SCGB director) is HQ censorship of his own officials' snow reporting ... as 'reasoned' here ...

Gerry Aitken wrote:
I don't know how much HQ has to filter out now, but there have been problems in the past.
An example from the other site [refering presumably to sH, but presumably not a report from a SCGB rep]: "Rubbish snow right now, boilerplate pistes and wind-blown off-piste, stay in bed"

The SCGB, as represented by Aitken, sees everything in terms of how much money it can throw at a problem. It's obsessed with its 'official status' as an 'official communicator', forgetting that people just want to learn things from primary sources. Skiers are communicating valuable snow reports all day long, free of charge to themselves and their fellow readers, on free social media.

Is cost really a factor in exchanging snow reports ... the honest ones, rather than the 'tourist office acceptable ones' that Gerry Aitken advocates?
latest report
I figure it's not actually censorship, it's editing
ski holidays
So in summary, Mr Goldbonkers' complaints are as follows:

- Saga Ski Club reps get to swan about ski resorts on paid jollies
- their snow reports are rubbish
- they don't have anyone swanning about Cairngorm or Glencoe

In which case:

- he should apply to be a rep (since his constant carping smacks of envy)
- we could all read one of the many other snow reports available out there (example here: http://www.2alpesnet.com/snow/ )
- perhaps he could volunteer for that one since he claims to know the place so well
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
So in summary, I couldn't crack an egg joke

But thanks for trying
snow conditions
@Comedy Goldsmith, what does that even mean? Mad as a snake, really. Laughing
ski holidays
Wee Frank is a jock. However, he is a travel industry man ,rather than a keen skier who moved up through the ranks in the club . So he is more concerned with making money and Fresh Tracks than anything else.

Mr. Gs questions are still valid and his tenacity in getting them publicised is remarkable ,even if some are bored with the whole thing. Harrumph, harrumph, bad form, boring etc. etc.

When the old SCGB members disappear they will need to be replaced or - more likely - a larger income stream generated from Fresh Tracks.
snow conditions
As the Ski Club of Great Britain it would not be unreasonable for Joe Bloggs be they a member or not to assume that the club reported accurately on Snowsports that take place in Great Britain. Clearly the information required for day or weekend trips is different to that for those who are heading off overseas for a week or two weeks holiday at a time - this is something which the SCGB fails to grasp and the Scottish Snowsport areas have been making the point since 2002!

Day trippers need regularly updated, timely information. The SCGB provides 5 updates a week to the Scottish reports (providing it's not a holiday) and two updates a week to their short editorial. To put that in perspective in the previous 7 days the area reports on Winterhighland have been updated 176 times, an average of 25 updates a day or five updates per snowsports area per day (actually more because Glenshee has not been open) and the General Situation overview has been updated 15 times. This data has been offered free to the SCGB in the past - they declined, because they were unwilling to change the information format for home snowsports.
ski holidays
@George Jones, his points may be valid but he is so poisonous they don't want to listen. As to the SCGBs future...who knows. Their Facebook page is reasonably lively...
latest report
George Jones, greetings. I see the minutes of the SCGB 2014 AGM are imminent - http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/The-Ski-Club?discussionID=15033#.VKtpvMlCjQo . Always a healthy sign.
Winterhighland ... is a master of understatement and fairness, considering the snow reporting of Scottish skiing by the SCGB in recent years and the endless reporting of Scottish ski areas "closed" when they are open.

Lizzard wrote:
Mr Goldbonkers

Lizzard wrote:
Mad as a snake

Shimmy Alcott wrote:
poisonous

Mr Goldbonkers, mad as a poisonous snake, will present a selection of 'classic egg jokes in British skiing' on 6 May 2015.

Mr Goldbonkers will also present something significantly more significant to British skiing, on 6 May 2015.

In the meantime, I really must quit for now! (hope it's going to work out this time)
Sincerely ... wishing all participants in New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum a great ski before then, even if it's just a great chat about it.

All the best for 2015. David
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Mr Goldbonkers, mad as a poisonous snake, .....

David, may I point out a terminological inexactitude (and before Scarpa comments on it Toofy Grin ) - snakes tend not to be poisonous (and not that many people eat them anyway), the correct term is venomous, as so nicely explained here:

Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
All the best for 2015. David

And to you. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Half price membership this week, only until 11th.
latest report
I have no axe to grind here but having come across SCGB reps a few times, and been the subject of their sales pitch, here any my observations/questions:

Are all SCGB Resort Reps male, failed, ex-public-school types?
Do they all have a glamorous but intellectually challenged blonde in tow?
Is the sales pitch still the same as we got 5-6 years ago?

I really couldn't see the cost/benefit case then for membership: Now, almost all major ski domains have excellent, almost-real-time, accurate lift and piste pages; there are plenty of good, free, overview Resort Guides available through newpaper and forum sites; National weather agencies are the best source for real-time weather information (and are the original source for a lot of web sites anyway); there are loads of sites giving discounts for pre-booking equipment, as well as the shops themselves; and Reps can't do orientation guiding in France anymore. So what do I get for my money?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy